wieght training and cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonyzackery said:
How about I post a pic of LA climbing a step. Will that also provide evidence for the same?

No!

Not too the 'excitation' and 'inhibition' of what weight training will produce, regarding CNS stimulation (Strength gains). No where close.

tonyzackery said:
Please remind me what a pic of LA doing a squat is supposed to provide evidence for.

How about I post a pic of LA climbing a step. Will that also provide evidence for the same?

Or Lance going out the a**e in all the Mountain stages this year. Is weight training the blame for that???

Or Pendalton qualifying 7th in the sprints this year but winning the Gold, clearly more to cycling than strength.

Chapeau! said:
No! You told me it was an aerobic sport. But you was barely breathing.

I didn't tell you I was barely breathing, I believe I said I was breathing as hard as is needed for my bodies O2 needs. As it turns out training for cycling by cycling does allow your body to adapt in several ways that make you much more efficient.

If you and I were racing I may be barely breathing until we hit a hill where I decided to drop you, and while you replicate squats trying to push a huge gear with your ATP/CP motor on a 15% grade my 39x25 and aerobic engine will be waiting around at the finish.

Chapeau! said:
No!

Not too the 'excitation' and 'inhibition' of what weight training will produce, regarding CNS stimulation (Strength gains). No where close.

Neural adaptations are VERY SPECIFIC! They do not transfer, if you want to train the CNS for cycling you have to be on a bike. For crying out loud, the neural adaptations for throwing a base ball are different than for throwing a football and that's a heck of a lot more related than squats & deadlifts are to cycling!

Chapeau! said:
No!

Uh, you "very well sidestepped" my request - Please tell me what a pic of Lance Armstrong doing a squat is supposed to provide evidence for.

fergie said:
Or Pendalton qualifying 7th in the sprints this year but winning the Gold, clearly more to cycling than strength.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Listen in fergs... You just might learn something for once.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSLhrSlA4r8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - miCoach: Victoria Pendleton, UK Track Cycling Olympic Winner[/ame]

I won't hold my breath though.

quenya said:
If you and I were racing I may be barely breathing until we hit a hill where I decided to drop you, and while you replicate squats trying to push a huge gear with your ATP/CP motor on a 15% grade my 39x25 and aerobic engine will be waiting around at the finish.

Off on another tangent?. Yup!. Didn't refer to hills.

quenya said:
Let's see yesterday I did 80 miles of rollers including a TT pace up a 6.60 mile ~8% grade, Tollhouse in a PR 43:31. Yeah until I got to Tollhouse about 2 hrs in to the ride I hadn't breathed hard at all.

tonyzackery said:
Uh, you "very well sidestepped" my request - Please tell me what a pic of Lance Armstrong doing a squat is supposed to provide evidence for.

Scroll back through the thread. I've told you a hundred times.

quenya said:
Neural adaptations are VERY SPECIFIC! They do not transfer, if you want to train the CNS for cycling you have to be on a bike. For crying out loud, the neural adaptations for throwing a base ball are different than for throwing a football and that's a heck of a lot more related than squats & deadlifts are to cycling!

Throwing a baseball & football require the same muscle groups.

Squats, deadlifts & cycling are hip/knee extension based exercises.

Chapeau! said:
Scroll back through the thread. I've told you a hundred times.

very, very well sidestepped.

I'll tell you - the pic proves NOTHING. I don't need to ask LA if doing squats improves his cycling performance, but it clearly appears you need to...

tonyzackery said:
very, very well sidestepped.

I'll tell you - the pic proves NOTHING. I don't need to ask LA if doing squats improves his cycling performance, but it clearly appears you need to...

Get the book, but please ditch your trolling.

51c27SGxZWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Lance Armstrong Performance Program said:
"Armstrong lifts weights in the off-season and the book includes a recommended strength training program".

Troll.

As I said I'm pretty well aware of how the BCF and ACF sprinters train. All you know is what you can find on Google:rolleyes:

Pretty sure if you asked them why they trained with weights, even Hoy who has a Sport Science degree, would not be able to provide a satisfactory answer of why they weight train. 9/10 it's because it's what they have always done.

LOL!
Did you READ the book??
Does it state in the book that weight lifting will increase cycling performance??
LOL!
"You gotta be a dumbass to think..."

fergie said:
Pretty sure if you asked them why they trained with weights, even Hoy who has a Sport Science degree, would not be able to provide a satisfactory answer of why they weight train. 9/10 it's because it's what they have always done.

To apply greater forces to the pedals, hence greater speeds.

tonyzackery said:
LOL!
Did you READ the book??
Does it state in the book that weight lifting will increase cycling performance??
LOL!
"You gotta be a dumbass to think..."

Don't forget, your still hopping about in cat.3. ;)

The Lance Armstrong Performance Program said:
"Armstrong lifts weights in the off-season and the book includes a recommended strength training program".

fergie said:
A troll is someone who has nothing original to contribute.

HTH

:D

Then there are those who consider anyone with an alternative viewpoint to theirs to be trolls.

Chapeau! said:
Don't forget, your still hopping about in cat.3. ;)

Copy and paste:

I've posted my pic. Did I miss yours, in addition to your cycling category level?? As I've been away for a few, I truly don't want to be any more ignorant by missing the evidence you posted to support your claim(s)...;)

ABC - anecdote based coaching or,

OBC - observation based coaching or,

GBC - google based coaching.

When you have the blind leading the blind, in the nearest ditch there you shall find...

Chappy, have you ever given thought as to why you haven't found any pro endurance cyclists hefting weights during your Google image searches??? ;)

It's becoming more clear that you're one of those '60rpm guys' mashing huge gears all the while thinking "if I only could another 100lbs on my squat..."

Chapeau! said:
Just going on the success of these 2 fergs.

LanceLifting.jpg

Even you can't argue with that.

So, lets recap... In the years that Lance has 'been doing weights' he's not done as well as he did previously and this is supposed to tempt us to start doing weights how?

Chapeau! said:
Then there are those who consider anyone with an alternative viewpoint to theirs to be trolls.

If you had an original viewpoint. The results of a Google Search are not.

Troll.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.