wieght training and cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
fergie said:
The armchair trolls opinion based on an extensive search of Google has been duly noted.

Let us know when you have ridden sprints, coached sprints, seen a SRM file and actually understand the demands of sprinting.

Taken to school.

fergie said:
Hmmm appears the armchair troll is blind as well and hasn't noticed that Fabian runs a really high cadence. But I though road racing was all about how strong you were, not what cadence you used? I could sit roll all day in the 12 but will that make me a better rider?

In what gear?.

Chapeau! said:
Taken to school.

Yes obviously they teach Google Search in playschool.

In what gear?

Whatever gear he is in in a time trial he is still below 35% of his peak power. What an amazing feat of aerobic capacity!!!

fergie said:
The armchair trolls opinion based on an extensive search of Google has been duly noted.

fergie said:
Yes obviously they teach Google Search in playschool.

fergie said:
Is there no Google Search you can do to understand what in the 12 means

Is that your get out clause for everytime you get schooled from here on in, Google Search.

Good argument (especially when you can't come back with anything).

Chapeau! said:

Well when you have something original or well supported to say about the training of elite cyclists you be sure to let us know.

Some of us coach Elite cyclists, other's watch them on YouTube.

:D

Chapeau! said:
Is that your get out clause for everytime you get schooled from here on in, Google Search.

Dude, your show was somewhat funny (the stupid kind of funny) about 300 posts ago, but now it's getting a little red-eyed. You'r lucky people here have some spare time on their hands, otherwise you'd be in a different forum already.

Chapeau! said:
I only learn from the best fergs.

LanceLifting.jpg

The best huh? So what did you learn from Contador and Schleck this year...

... apart from not equiping your SRAM bike with funny gear pulleys?

Chapeau! said:
Taken to school.

In what gear?.

You obviously need a bit of schooling if you can't figure out what gears he's using.

At ~100rpm
53x12 = 34mph
53x13 = 32mph

... or pretty close to that dependant on tire choice. You should try that sometime.

Surprised that Google Search didn't tell you that.

swampy1970 said:
You obviously need a bit of schooling if you can't figure out what gears he's using.

At ~100rpm
53x12 = 34mph
53x13 = 32mph

... or pretty close to that dependant on tire choice. You should try that sometime.

Surprised that Google Search didn't tell you that.

Swampy don't lie, you and I both know that Fabians immense strength makes us mortals quake in fear! How is it possible that Fabian spins the same gear I do just as fast as I do but, exerting no more force or strength or power and yet his 40k TT is so much faster than mine?

And none of this BS about his aerobic engine allows him to do for 40-50+km what I struggle to do for one mile, its obvious that he recycles strength, and has ATP/CP and his strength training has made his 'aerobic engine' obsolete! ;)

Chapeau! said:
Nah. Hes wrong.
Nice side step. How do you know he's wrong, where is the research. Mind you not observation but controlled research submitted to and published in a peer reviewed journal or the like.

Chapeau! said:
Then how the hell do I push heavy gears?.
Who here says you do. Again where are the power files from your PM/Garmin. I honestly don't believe you do push heavy gears any faster than the rest of us. But upload your 40mph power file and prove me wrong, or better yet beat me in the CTK next year and eat a steak while I eat crow.

Or ignore my challenge like you have before because, I assume, you aren't that good a cyclist and know I'll be showered and done with dinner while you're still dragging you sorry butt along Auberry road.

Chapeau! said:
No! You told me it was an aerobic sport. But you was barely breathing.
Don't try to put words in my mouth.
What I said was.
quenya said:
All my breathing is in my lungs, on a flat section at what speed and in what conditions? My breathing is a function of my O2 need, if I'm doing Z1-3 I am not breathing that hard. If I'm targetting my threshold I am breathing hard but steady If I'm attacking my buddies pushing myself into O2 debt you better believe I'm breathing DANG HARD.

Let's see yesterday I did 80 miles of rollers including a TT pace up a 6.60 mile ~8% grade, Tollhouse in a PR 43:31. Yeah until I got to Tollhouse about 2 hrs in to the ride I hadn't breathed hard at all.

Barely breathing and hadn't breathed hard are actually quite different, again about as different as your and you're, or but not nearly as different as interfere and assist. Again I wonder what your primary language is? Certainly not English... I hope!

I actually just checked my Garmin the first 'lap' of my ride was 31.86 mi in 1:56:38 average speed 16.4mph, gained 2486 ft, average HR was 140 which is well within my recovery/zone . My second lap was the climb up Tollhouse 2628 ft gained in 6.64 miles took me 43:31.82, average speed 9.2, avg HR 173, so yeah I was breathing pretty darn hard.

Well just stopped by for a vist,to possibly see the views,opinions and truths of weight training and cycling,and all I see is people arguing like some crackheads over who gets the last hit off the glass pipe...Well if I really want to know the answer to the question,I'll just do a google search:eek:

quenya said:
Swampy don't lie, you and I both know that Fabians immense strength makes us mortals quake in fear! How is it possible that Fabian spins the same gear I do just as fast as I do but, exerting no more force or strength or power and yet his 40k TT is so much faster than mine?

And none of this BS about his aerobic engine allows him to do for 40-50+km what I struggle to do for one mile, its obvious that he recycles strength, and has ATP/CP and his strength training has made his 'aerobic engine' obsolete! ;)

Actually, given his size, Fabian would likely need more power than you to go the same speed - unless you have a very un-aero position.

I remember reading years ago about lance doing insanely long rides during the spring. 8+ hours just hard at it...

swampy1970 said:
I remember reading years ago about lance doing insanely long rides during the spring. 8+ hours just hard at it...

Yes it's in Bobke II. They went to the lab and did a lot of testing then Lance and Bob Roll hit the Californian Mountains for a series of 6-9 hour rides. At the end of the week they repeated the tests and Lances power had improved at all levels.

I had a similar but far less impressive result today when I did my monthly sprint session (that's how much L6-L7 training I think a road rider needs)and pumped out some new PBs. This is also the first sprint session I have done since March seeing there was no winter Track Carnival to prepare for so there has been no overload of the L6 and L7 nor any weight training just a lot of L3-L5 work but hey presto my anaerobic power is up.

swampy1970 said:
Actually, given his size, Fabian would likely need more power than you to go the same speed - unless you have a very un-aero position.

That's Surreal, I used to weigh quite a bit more than Fabian and now I am much smaller...

Point is it's really not that uncommon for a rider to push in to the low 30's, but it is an amazing aerobic feat to do it for an hour.

Chapeau! said:

For the record, not everything you find with Google - or Bing or Yahoo or whatever search engine you want to use - is accurate. I'd strongly suggest verifying your sources before posting them.

Now please stop derailing this thread or it will be locked.

D'ya hear that Chapeau? Stop being a naughty boy otherwise "daddy" will take away the ball and stop us all from playing....

cyberlegend1994 said:
For the record, not everything you find with Google - or Bing or Yahoo or whatever search engine you want to use - is accurate. I'd strongly suggest verifying your sources before posting them.

Please take reference from the pictures & youtube video's I have posted. Some the worlds top cyclists lifting weights to increase cycling performance & not a google search in sight.

Anyway...

Nice to see Tony Martin winning the Eneco Tour and caining the final TT. Some of the very best low cadence/high strength piece of riding I've ever seen.

Not so much of an aerobic feat with such big gearing.

Chapeau! said:
Please take reference from the pictures & youtube video's I have posted. Some the worlds top cyclists lifting weights to increase cycling performance & not a google search in sight.

Anyway...

Nice to see Tony Martin winning the Eneco Tour and caining the final TT. Some of the very best low cadence/high strength piece of riding I've ever seen.

Not so much of an aerobic feat with such big gearing.

Was i mistaken or did Tony Martin win in around 20mins?

NJK said:
Was i mistaken or did Tony Martin win in around 20mins?

Yes, and we can show a 1000m time trial usually completed in around 60-62 seconds is 50% aerobic, so I suspect that no matter what gear one uses for a 20min effort the energy supply is nearly all aerobic. Also will be at < 35% of peak power so another great example of aerobic capacity.

Any care to suggest how strength could limit this performance. I think anyone has ample strength to ride at 35% of their peak power. I have ample strength to ride at Tony Martin's time trial pace and much higher. So if strength is not limiting me from holding his pace what is?

WRT Sprinters using weights. Did you find them mention why they perform weights. Only thing I found was Hoy suggesting their application in the first 2-3 pedal strokes of a hard acceleration. Then as power drops well below the maximum, look at the drop off in a 30sec Wingate test, or the comparison I made between a my 60sec power and the data I have from a ex World Champion cyclists 60sec power and the drop off is similar, and after 2-3 sec energy supply is no longer from stored ATP in the muscle and one then once one has burnt through the stored Creatine Phosphate in the muscle it's down to the anaerobic energy supply for 10-30 seconds tops before you start needing aerobic energy supply.

So if those sprinters understand, and it appears that Hoy does, why they lift weights then it's only to target a very small part of their performance. The majority will do too much in the gym and for the reasons that starting strength is quite important in the Team Sprint, Keirin, 500m TT and some aspects of the Match Sprint. The majority will train because they are under the illusion, as were the Aussie sprinters in Beijing, that peak strength is the main factor in sprinting.

But cycling, even sprinting is not about peak strength in the same way it is for Olympic Weightlifting, Gymnastics, Field events. When Charlie Walsh headed the AIS Track Team he trained the sprinters to run even 100m splits. In essence pacing over a 10sec effort. Reflecting the fact that you can't sustain. 100% for 10sec in cycling let alone longer durations.

At NZ Champs my rider in the 500m TT went through the first lap in 5th place but because he had paced his effort he maintained power through the 2nd to win by .5 of a second and break the NZ record. In the pursuit he was in 8th place through the 1st 1000m and 4 sec off the leader but by maintaining his pace he ended up qualifying 1st, 4 sec up on 2nd place. Also mention this rider has never seen the inside of a gym.

So in my experience (having actually coached some pretty handy sprinters) and backed up by the research I believe that a lot of sprint cyclists are spending way too long in the gym when they should be targeting the energy systems relevant to their event. The same applies to any cyclists who wishes to perform. Train the energy systems you use in racing, in the position and environment you wish to perform in.

Status
Not open for further replies.