Will Campy shifters work with a Dura Ace derailleur?

christoz

Nov 21, 2005
I have a Cannondale Synapse SL1. All Dura Ace, Ksyrium Anniversaire wheels, Cannondale carbon brakes. I had Campy on my old Kestral. I loved the way the Campy brake hoods fit my hands. The Dura Aces don't fit nearly as well. My mechanical abilities with it are minimal, I know it, I accept it, I just ride it. So....I could ask my LBS but lets try the forum first; will Campy shifters work with my Dura Ace derailleurs? Thanks

Christo

christoz said:
I have a Cannondale Synapse SL1. All Dura Ace, Ksyrium Anniversaire wheels, Cannondale carbon brakes. I had Campy on my old Kestral. I loved the way the Campy brake hoods fit my hands. The Dura Aces don't fit nearly as well. My mechanical abilities with it are minimal, I know it, I accept it, I just ride it. So....I could ask my LBS but lets try the forum first; will Campy shifters work with my Dura Ace derailleurs? Thanks

Christo

Yes for the front, no for the rear. If you wish to convert to Campagnolo ERGO, you also need a Campagnolo rear derailleur and a spaced for Campagnolo 10s cogset(Wheels manufacturing is one). OR get Campagnolo 10s ERGO and a Sram road RD and that shifts shimano 10s spacing. The front doesn't care as long as you get 2006 and older ERGO of any model or Record Chorus 2007/8 or any 2009 ERGO.

christoz said:

Christo
Yes & No ...

The "official line" from respective, corporate techs is "no" ... and, LBSes will be inclined to steer you away from mixing-and-matching because they don't know who the next Wrench is who will be working on your bike.

But, in reality, the Campagnolo 10-speed ERGO shifters can be mated to almost any drivetrain with minimal limitations ... and, without changing the indexing wheel in the "right hand" shifter.

I use Campagnolo shifters with Shimano's 9-speed "stuff" ...

I have been meaning to buy a 10-speed Shimano cassette to test/verify a hypothesis with regard to the Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur + 10-speed Shimano-compatible cassette & 10-speed Ergo shifters!?! One of these days ... just so I'll know.

During the 2007 Tour de France, SRAM sponsored bikes used Campagnolo 10-speed bar end shifters on the Time Trial bikes which had SRAM derailleurs, etc. ...

Echoing the SRAM effort, this past Summer (it's over, isn't it?), Lennard Zinn mated a pair of 10-speed Ergo shifters with a SRAM 10-speed drivetrain.

So, it depends on how much effort you want to expend (minimal) and/or money you want to spend AND which cassette/derailleurs your Cannondale currently has.

As Peter has noted, the front derailleur doesn't care ... the Shimano front derailleur shifts BETTER (IMO) with the Campagnolo shifter than with the Shimano shifters that I have had -- it was easier to setup & dropping the chain is subsequently all but impossible. A few (?) years ago, the CAMPY ONLY site admitted that many Campagnolo users preferred Shimano's front derailleurs over Campagnolo's!?! THAT was reassuring for me since I was using Shimano's front derailleurs primarily because that's what I had & I wasn't certain (before) whether I was crippling my front shifting "performance" ... but, would never have expected that I was inadvertantly enhancing the front shifting by using a Shimano front derailleur (which presumably has a stiffer mechanism than the pre-11-speed front derailleur design).

How about a ShiftMate? I've read a couple of positive reviews about it. If you go to their website www.jtekengineering.com (absolutely no affiliation with them) there is a compatibility chart. Using a Shimano derailleur, Shimano 10s cassette, and Campy 10s shifter, you pick the appropriate product. Seems too easy. Anyone using one?

alfeng said:
Yes & No ...

The "official line" from respective, corporate techs is "no" ... and, LBSes will be inclined to steer you away from mixing-and-matching because they don't know who the next Wrench is who will be working on your bike.

But, in reality, the Campagnolo 10-speed ERGO shifters can be mated to almost any drivetrain with minimal limitations ... and, without changing the indexing wheel in the "right hand" shifter.

I use Campagnolo shifters with Shimano's 9-speed "stuff" ...

I have been meaning to buy a 10-speed Shimano cassette to test/verify a hypothesis with regard to the Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur + 10-speed Shimano-compatible cassette & 10-speed Ergo shifters!?! One of these days ... just so I'll know.

During the 2007 Tour de France, SRAM sponsored bikes used Campagnolo 10-speed bar end shifters on the Time Trial bikes which had SRAM derailleurs, etc. ...

Echoing the SRAM effort, this past Summer (it's over, isn't it?), Lennard Zinn mated a pair of 10-speed Ergo shifters with a SRAM 10-speed drivetrain.

So, it depends on how much effort you want to expend (minimal) and/or money you want to spend AND which cassette/derailleurs your Cannondale currently has.

As Peter has noted, the front derailleur doesn't care ... the Shimano front derailleur shifts BETTER (IMO) with the Campagnolo shifter than with the Shimano shifters that I have had -- it was easier to setup & dropping the chain is subsequently all but impossible. A few (?) years ago, the CAMPY ONLY site admitted that many Campagnolo users preferred Shimano's front derailleurs over Campagnolo's!?! THAT was reassuring for me since I was using Shimano's front derailleurs primarily because that's what I had & I wasn't certain (before) whether I was crippling my front shifting "performance" ... but, would never have expected that I was inadvertantly enhancing the front shifting by using a Shimano front derailleur (which presumably has a stiffer mechanism than the pre-11-speed front derailleur design).

Show me a picture of the 3 Sram sponsored teams that had Campagnolo bar end/TT shifters. Doubt you can. The TT rigs I saw all has Sram barends if sponsored by Sram. No need to use Campagnolo, even if they are superior.

Peter@vecchios said:
Show me a picture of the 3 Sram sponsored teams that had Campagnolo bar end/TT shifters. Doubt you can. The TT rigs I saw all has Sram barends if sponsored by Sram. No need to use Campagnolo, even if they are superior.

Do you have any idea when you'll be getting any Campy 11 and testing your Campy10/11 compatibility ideas?

It already seems that Centaur 11 brifters on Campy 10 is becoming the hot chnage, or at least a hotly talked about change. If Campy hasn't changed the width of the freehub or significantly changed the splines, it seems an 11 cassette ought to slide on a 10 freehub. That should also mean that 11 brifters should come close to working with a 10 RD.

Is there any firm word on any changes to RD parallelogram geometry changes or changes to RD pinch bolt location from the 10 to 11 RDs?

It's said that the chainring spacing up front has changed. Will that be a significant factor?

There are already reports of people running Super Record with '07 or earlier Record/Chorus cranks without issue.

I'm betting that mix '09 and some older bits won't be the issue that some think. The prices are certainly going to come down......assuming the Euro doesn't completely bury the dollar. A few Super Record sets have already sold for ~$2500.

Peter@vecchios said:
Well, it would be easier for you to confirm it since you have access to the boys at VeloNews ...

But, I'll look it up for you!

BTW. When it was announced that (at least one of) the FSA equipped bikes were/(was) going to use Campagnolo barends because the FSA barends were not ready in time for the Tour (remember, I'm referring to 2007 and not the 2008 Tour), I guess I presumed that the index wheels were being tweaked; but, when Lennard Zinn cobbled together a SRAM bike with Campagnolo shifters earlier this year, I then realized 'why' at least one of those teams chose to use the Campagnolo barend shifters. THAT'S MY STORY, AND I'M STICKING TO IT!

alienator said:
Do you have any idea when you'll be getting any Campy 11 and testing your Campy10/11 compatibility ideas?

It already seems that Centaur 11 brifters on Campy 10 is becoming the hot chnage, or at least a hotly talked about change. If Campy hasn't changed the width of the freehub or significantly changed the splines, it seems an 11 cassette ought to slide on a 10 freehub. That should also mean that 11 brifters should come close to working with a 10 RD.

Is there any firm word on any changes to RD parallelogram geometry changes or changes to RD pinch bolt location from the 10 to 11 RDs?

It's said that the chainring spacing up front has changed. Will that be a significant factor?

There are already reports of people running Super Record with '07 or earlier Record/Chorus cranks without issue.

I'm betting that mix '09 and some older bits won't be the issue that some think. The prices are certainly going to come down......assuming the Euro doesn't completely bury the dollar. A few Super Record sets have already sold for ~$2500.

Centaur is 10s, not 11s.

11s cogsets fit onto Campagnolo 9/10s freehub bodies.

I'm guessing the RD dimensions aren't an issue. I should get some 11s ERGO in about a week..When installing I will see if the RD is compatible with 10s ERGO and also is the 11s ERGO is compatible with '10s' RD.

11s rings are closer together but I don't think using 10s or even 9s rings is an issue nor using 11s rings with a 9 or 10s chain.

Right now SR is MSRP of $3300. Campag is trying hard to hold pricing, even with RF tags. We'll see. I'd like to see Campag stop selling to distributors that discount their stuff, like shimano did.

alfeng said:
Well, it would be easier for you to confirm it since you have access to the boys at VeloNews ...

But, I'll look it up for you!

BTW. When it was announced that (at least one of) the FSA equipped bikes were/(was) going to use Campagnolo barends because the FSA barends were not ready in time for the Tour (remember, I'm referring to 2007 and not the 2008 Tour), I guess I presumed that the index wheels were being tweaked; but, when Lennard Zinn cobbled together a SRAM bike with Campagnolo shifters earlier this year, I then realized 'why' at least one of those teams chose to use the Campagnolo barend shifters. THAT'S MY STORY, AND I'M STICKING TO IT!

OK. Not surprised that a FSA team used Campag barends but none of the Sram guys did. No reason to since sram barends were/are available.

Peter@vecchios said:
OK. Not surprised that a FSA team used Campag barends but none of the Sram guys did. No reason to since sram barends were/are available.
Oops! THAT was a typo on my part ... I meant "SRAM equipped bikes ..."

Ask Zinn (or, Matt Pacocha) about it the next time you see him/(them) ...

I would guess it was on a Saunier Duval team's TT bike since they were amongst the earliest adopters ...

I'll get back to you on it if you can't track it down.

christoz said:

Christo
I bet you could use the Campy shifter, Dura Ace derailleur and a campy cassette... with a Campy chain. I don't think the derailleur really cares what's hooked up to it. I could be wrong.

Peter@vecchios said:
alfeng is about half right.

force came out in 2006, and the us domestic team kodak-sierra nevada were early adopters. the tt bar ends weren't released until 2007.

in 2007 when saunier rode force, they had a complete solution (road + tt). in 2006 the sierra guys had to find an alternative which was campag bar ends.

sideshow_bob said:
force came out in 2006, and the us domestic team kodak-sierra nevada were early adopters. the tt bar ends weren't released until 2007.

in 2007 when saunier rode force, they had a complete solution (road + tt). in 2006 the sierra guys had to find an alternative which was campag bar ends.
Thanks, Brett, for taking the time to look up (remember!) & post the correct information with regard to which team was using Campagnolo bar end (barend ... whichever spelling?!?) shifters with their otherwise SRAM-equipped TT bikes.

alfeng said:
Thanks, Brett, for taking the time to look up (remember!) & post the correct information with regard to which team was using Campagnolo bar end (barend ... whichever spelling?!?) shifters with their otherwise SRAM-equipped TT bikes.

This horse is way dead but Alfeng wrote-"During the 2007 Tour de France, SRAM sponsored bikes used Campagnolo 10-speed bar end shifters on the Time Trial bikes which had SRAM derailleurs, etc."

Sierra Nevada, not TdF teams.

christoz said:
How about a ShiftMate? I've read a couple of positive reviews about it. If you go to their website www.jtekengineering.com (absolutely no affiliation with them) there is a compatibility chart. Using a Shimano derailleur, Shimano 10s cassette, and Campy 10s shifter, you pick the appropriate product. Seems too easy. Anyone using one?
my 2 cents - i installed the shiftmate for a friend of mine in June, combo with veloce shifters, centaur crank, derr. 's and cassettes ultegra, 10sp, it is fantastic. before that, i tried another bike chorus/ultegra combo with the shiftmate, excellent.
the reason we went ahead with this combo (except my friend needed an upgrade) was trivial - way best value for the $$$ from a couple of internet outfits.
cheers

Peter@vecchios said:
This horse is way dead but Alfeng wrote-"During the 2007 Tour de France, SRAM sponsored bikes used Campagnolo 10-speed bar end shifters on the Time Trial bikes which had SRAM derailleurs, etc."

Sierra Nevada, not TdF teams.
Although I am possibly SRAMS's biggest (self-proclaimed!) anti-aficionado because of their inferior customer service in North America (heck, they are headquartered in the States!), I do monitor their technical efforts (but, not as closely as others); but, not being able to remember who-or-when is definitely MY BAD! Sorry ...

The ORIGINAL point which I was trying to pass along is that a CAMPANGOLO 10-speed shifter can be used with several non-Campagnolo drivetrain combinations ... and, if there isn't a JTEK shiftmate for a particular setup, then there are several work-arounds.