winter turbo training

graham66

Jul 20, 2014
with winter fast closing in here in england . would appriciate any tips on turbo training to get me through the winter.

More specific questions generally get more useful responses.

In the meantime, http://bit.ly/So9rrI

graham66 said:
under whelmed with the response think i will ditch the forum
Judging by your other post regarding "tea" - I wish you would (ditch the forum.)

• plan your training session
  • use a good fan for cooling
  • prepare your bike eg; remove your good race wheels and don't burn $100 tyres on the roller
  • music, play it loud
  • hydrate well
  • visit the training section of this forum more often.

Anyway those are my awesome tips
cool.png

Reactions: graham66
Fans. Multiple fans.
Music: iPod or a stereo system with 250 Watts RMS per channel and a remote control.
Towel: And paper towels. Indoor snot rockets are rude.
Video: A laptop and any of Cube's or Collin's videos for starters. Sufferfest vids or old races on YouTube.
Rollers. Turbos are stupid boring. At least rollers force you to concentrate just a little and break up the monotony.

Hydrate? Meh...my longest sessions go for an hour. Anything longer and I can see why folks take assault rifles to their trainer. Now, if you're talking about a couple shots of Jack to numb the brain to stay on the trainer, I'm all for that!

Session plan and times. Nothing good happens when you don't have a plan.

Fans front and back (one directly on the disk for the magnetic resistance - otherwise the power wanders during the session as it heats up.)

Water - enough to quench the thirst. I have about 1,302,133 extra kcals stored midrift. If I bonk due to lack of glycogen then I'll flop around on the bike like a dead whale to burn some extra calories.

Old headphones and fast tempo metal for endurance stuff >20 minutes. Definitely no tunes for efforts less that 10 minutes. The voices in my head don't effect the effort like listening to music does. I can't do the in-ear headphones with all that sweat. The 80's-esque original small over the ear Sony headphones work best for me.

Power meter and computer somewhere that's easy to view.

Big towel draped over the bars and top tube - this means that the computer does go on the bar mount.

What would be ace would be a program to run on the computer that displays power meter data and also yells R Lee Ermey insults when you're not hitting the numbers... "You will learn by the numbers! I will teach you! Now get up! Get on your feet! You had best unfuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and **** down your neck!"

Have any of you trained with these? http://www.thesufferfest.com/

I find 30 minutes is best for me. At 100% FTP in 30 degree weather and a fan I still sweat too much. (I prefer 95%.)

2 or 3 times a day - depending on how often I want to wash my clothes.

My MP3 player helps.

Originally Posted by An old Guy
I find 30 minutes is best for me. At 100% FTP in 30 degree weather and a fan I still sweat too much. (I prefer 95%.)

2 or 3 times a day - depending on how often I want to wash my clothes.

My MP3 player helps.
no doubt getting soft in your senior years. No way you use an MP3 player, wouldn't a gramophone would be more your style?

Originally Posted by ambal

no doubt getting soft in your senior years. No way you use an MP3 player, wouldn't a gramophone would be more your style?

Magnifique!

I find a large collection of concert dvds completely elimates boredom and suits the constant pace required for base miles/heart rate training. I take the opportunity to gulp water every five minutes and see if I can do it without losing pace or cadence.

Suggestions: big fans, a big towel over the bars and top tube, don't fall off, push on the pedals hard.