WKO+ and Windows 7

sammy5001

Sep 9, 2009
I've been using WKO+ trial and I love it so I'm thinking of buying it.
But I've heard that it has licensing issues where you can't reinstall it if you reformatted your machine or w/e.
The thing is I'm going to upgrade my Windows Vista x64 to Windows 7 when it comes out (by reformatting and doing a clean install) so I'm not sure if I should just buy WKO+ now or wait till I get Windows 7 first.

Will I still be able to install WKO+ in Windows 7 (on the exact same machine)?

Anyone have experience with reinstalling WKO+ on reinstalled Windows (same machine)?

sammy5001 said:
But I've heard that it has licensing issues where you can't reinstall it if you reformatted your machine or w/e.

The software security prevents doing this by yourself, but a quick e-mail to the customer service folks will get you right back up and running after a machine upgrade or hard drive crash. I have done this successfully when I bought a new computer and uninstalled from the previous machine.

If you like the product, there's no need to wait for the new version of Windows.

frenchyge said:
The software security prevents doing this by yourself, but a quick e-mail to the customer service folks will get you right back up and running after a machine upgrade or hard drive crash. I have done this successfully when I bought a new computer and uninstalled from the previous machine.

If you like the product, there's no need to wait for the new version of Windows.

Thanks for the quick and concise answer.

sammy5001 said:
But I've heard that it has licensing issues where you can't reinstall it if you reformatted your machine or w/e.... Anyone have experience with reinstalling WKO+ on reinstalled Windows (same machine)?

It is a huge hassle. I went through this recently and the trainingpeaks customer support was horrible. They essentially told me that I needed to purchase another copy because I switched computers. They all but accused me of piracy, claiming I was trying to install multiple copies! After several increasingly nasty emails and blog posts on the subject, they finally provided me another key.

I understand that they want to ensure that one copy gets used on a single computer. But all I wanted to do was switch computers - by treating their paying customers as criminals, they are doing a disservice to this otherwise great product.

perrygeo said:
It is a huge hassle. I went through this recently and the trainingpeaks customer support was horrible. They essentially told me that I needed to purchase another copy because I switched computers. They all but accused me of piracy, claiming I was trying to install multiple copies! After several increasingly nasty emails and blog posts on the subject, they finally provided me another key.

I understand that they want to ensure that one copy gets used on a single computer. But all I wanted to do was switch computers - by treating their paying customers as criminals, they are doing a disservice to this otherwise great product.

I've done two computer switches and one upgrade to unlimited and never had a problem. Phone call or e-mail to customer service and all was fine.

I have to (sort of) side with perrygeo on this one. I had to get a new PC and CP support acted as if they were doing me a HUGE favor by providing me another key to activate WKO+ on my new PC. That they would do it "this one time".

I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 soon and I assume that I'll need to request another key for that upgrade. I'm dreading the contact with CP support...

Dave

I have transferred between pc's and never had any issues they dealt with it without any hassle. When I moved from Vista to Win7 on the same PC I re-used the same codes and didn't even need to contact support (I think they are tied to the hardware?).

liversedge said:
When I moved from Vista to Win7 on the same PC I re-used the same codes and didn't even need to contact support (I think they are tied to the hardware?).
Interesting. I'll be checking it out soon enough.

Dave

liversedge said:
I have transferred between pc's and never had any issues they dealt with it without any hassle. When I moved from Vista to Win7 on the same PC I re-used the same codes and didn't even need to contact support (I think they are tied to the hardware?).

I just got a reply from TrainingPeaks:

Sorry but Windows & is not yet supported for WKO+. For our current system requirements and compatibility, please see:
WKO+, CRS+, ERG+, and Real3D System Requirements

The Fingerprint is hardware and OS based. Please note that we can not support the re-issuing of Registration Codes for use on a computer where the OS is going to be regularly reinstalled. Thus, we strongly recommend that you only install WKO+ on a stable computer with an operating system we support.

I had similar problems with other users here in that I upgrade/rebuild my machine on a fairly regular basis, because I'm an IT guy and I generally try to have the latest stuff on my machine. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and hack the program. It was actually shockingly simple.

Edit: Before anyone goes there, I did purchase a legal copy of WKO+, I just don't want to deal with customer support every time I do something funky to my computer.

sammy5001 said:
I just got a reply from TrainingPeaks:

Can't you just emulate Windows XP in Vista/Windows 7? So even if Windows 7 is not supported, it can still run the program?

Don't quote me, I don't have it yet (but will in a few weeks!).

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and WKO+ still works no problem. Took like 6 hours to upgrade... I'm liking Windows 7 so far!

liversedge said:
LOL! Win7 is more stable than Vista, at least on my den PC.
I'm not surprised that they don't officially support Windows 7 at this time. It doesn't get officially released until October 22. I would think that it would be challenging for most companies to support non-GA code. What they (CyclingPeaks Support) should have said was that they don't support Win 7 at this time (or don't support pre-release versions of OS's).

Dave

Oops. The do say that they don't support Windows 7 at this time - my bad.