Wot I did over Christmas

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by suzyj, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Hi guys,

    Thought I'd share a couple of pics of one of the things I did over Christmas, while I should have been out on the road training up for the ...

    http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/seatlug_1.jpg

    http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/seatlug_2.jpg

    http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/polished_lugs.jpg

    I know the love-hearts are awfully sad, but I couldn't help myself. In a little while (once I've done the rest of the lugs to match and bought some bits of tube) these lugs will reside in my new fixed-wheel bike.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Mmmm, shiny...

    Welcome back from the break - I saw a rider on a red bike that was heading east on Fullers Road yesterday afternoon around six-ish. Could that have been you? I was zooming down towards the river after tackling Balmoral's Awaba Street (nasty, nasty hill)

    Ritch

  3. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

  4. discovered that a 3L plastic milk carton with side panel cut out makes a
    loverly cover for my brooks leather seat.

    Sorry, but welding galvanised water pipe doesn't lead to much higher
    thoughts than the above. Goals for 2005 is to make a couple of two
    wheeled bicycle trailers and to use metal of better quality than gal
    pipe or low carbon steel.

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "suzyj" <[email protected]
    > Thought I'd share a couple of pics of one of the things I did over
    > Christmas, while I should have been out on the road training up for the
    > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/seatlug_1.jpg
    > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/seatlug_2.jpg
    > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/polished_lugs.jpg

    They're purty... All I did over xmas/nye was keep a lot
    of hospitality staff busy and maintain the shipments of
    bourbon/beer to the east coast..

    I hired my first ever bike in Port Stephens.. an ApolloSport
    Anaconda mtb, I think. Total POS, but it got me around for
    a few days and I didn't even break it! :)

    I also got to try the Nexus AutoD "automatic" groupset
    on a friend's hire bike. It changes gears automatically!!!
    (and I'm not talking about chain slip!). It was shit too. :)
    You'd get out of the saddle to punish it up a steep hill and
    the bastard thing changes up into the highest gear (of 4)
    and you're forced off to walk it. The solution? Set it to
    manual. hehe.. stupid 'comfort' bikes..

    hippy

  6. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Thought I'd share a couple of pics of one of the things I did over
    > Christmas, while I should have been out on the road training up for the
    > ..
    >
    > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/seatlug_1.jpg
    >
    > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/seatlug_2.jpg
    >
    > http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/polished_lugs.jpg
    >
    > I know the love-hearts are awfully sad, but I couldn't help myself. In
    > a little while (once I've done the rest of the lugs to match and bought
    > some bits of tube) these lugs will reside in my new fixed-wheel bike.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy

    Very nice. Are they HJ lugs Suzy?

    What do you think of Richard Sachs' Newvex lugs?

    I reckon they look great but I'm not sure I'd actually want them on my
    frame.

    --
    Nick

  7. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    NickZX6R wrote:

    > Very nice. Are they HJ lugs Suzy?

    Yup. HJ don't have stainless ones in their catalogue, but they can be conned out of people if you're persistent. I've gotta say they're really nicely made lugs. Most lugs have constant thickness walls (think two bits of pipe joined together with a fillet at the join), but these ones smoothly taper. There's not a flat bit on them. The concave bit in the back of the binder bolts is an addition to match the binder bolt bits on a set of Llewellyn stem lugs that I also have.

    > What do you think of Richard Sachs' Newvex lugs?

    > I reckon they look great but I'm not sure I'd actually want
    > them on my frame.

    They're nice, but I really think you had to be around when the Nervex stuff was king to really lust after that shape. I go more for fine points and nice curves than overly ornate. Also, I'm not really a fan of extended head-tubes.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  8. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Ooh... they're most pretty. So when are we likely to see them brazed on to something? I'll look forward to seeing those pics as well. :)