2010 Tour de Suisse: Stage 4 Schwarzenburg - Wettingen 192.2 km

Wow, massive crash in the finish due to Haussler and Cavendish colliding. Been watching the footage, Cav was drifting a bit to his left, Haussler drifting a lot to his right, wheels touched and booooom, hit the deck.

Ciolek smashed into the back of them, then a few other riders came down on them as well, I hope everyones alright.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear some people shouting their mouths off about this...

Eldrack said:
Wow, massive crash in the finish due to Haussler and Cavendish colliding. Been watching the footage, Cav was drifting a bit to his left, Haussler drifting a lot to his right, wheels touched and booooom, hit the deck.

Ciolek smashed into the back of them, then a few other riders came down on them as well, I hope everyones alright.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear some people shouting their mouths off about this...

100% Cavendish's fault... He swerved to the left and slammed on to Ciolek.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg]YouTube - Mark Cavendish Crash - Tour de Suisse Stage 4 2010[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J6wfG4eHsA]YouTube - Tour de Suisse 2010 - Stage 4 - Final kilometers (w/ heavy crash)[/ame]

Stage 4 Results

1 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 4:57:33
2 Matti Breschel (Den) Team Saxo Bank
3 Marco Marcato (Ita) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
4 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
5 Robbie Mcewen (Aus) Team Katusha
6 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Sky Professional Cycling Team
7 Daniele Pietropolli (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
8 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank
9 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team Radioshack
10 Dries Devenyns (Bel) Quick Step

General classification @ stage 4

1 Tony Martin (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia 14:35:37
2 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:01
3 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:00:09
4 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:10
5 Dries Devenyns (Bel) Quick Step 0:00:11
6 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team
7 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:13
8 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:14
9 Nicolas Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:00:15
10 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:17
11 Nicolas Roche (Irl) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:18
12 Carlos Barredo Llamazales (Spa) Quick Step 0:00:19
13 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack
14 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha 0:00:21
15 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française Des Jeux 0:00:24
16 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Team Saxo Bank
17 Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:00:26
18 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:27
19 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Transitions
20 Sergey Lagutin (Uzb) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team 0:00:28
21 Matteo Carrara (Ita) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team 0:00:29
22 Lance Armstrong (USA) Team Radioshack 0:00:30
23 Daniele Pietropolli (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:00:33
24 Juan Manuel Gárate Cepa (Spa) Rabobank 0:00:35
25 Oliver Zaugg (Swi) Liquigas-Doimo 0:00:36

DV1976 said:
100% Cavendish's fault... He swerved to the left and slammed on to Ciolek.
Agreed.
He proved again that he's the sprinter who needs train to bring him to finish line. Left alone, he's lost... Either loses or makes mess.

From the aerial shots it looks (relative to the white road markings) that Haussler was moving slightly to the right and Cav was coming over to the left. Six of one, half a dozen of another... Cav moved across more and came out of it the least injured so I suspect he'll be hit with a penatly of some sort. Pretty boy Haussler will come out with a few scrapes and nothing else...

Ciolek was out of it. It would have been close but I reckon Cav would have had it by a rims width.

Speaking of rims, see how Cav's front wheel folded as Doogie Hoswer rode over it?

Andrija said:
Agreed.
He proved again that he's the sprinter who needs train to bring him to finish line. Left alone, he's lost... Either loses or makes mess.

Haussler did his best to take out Cavendish with 200 to go and he pretty much brought himself to the line in MSR 2009.

Chimin' in here, but The 'dish himself has his name written all over this wreck. Clearly off his line. Unintentional I believe, but culpable all the same...Haussler et. al; just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Good to see he was penalized beyond simple relegation for his actions...even better to know the primadonnas are not above the law...

mattp1975 said:
Haussler did his best to take out Cavendish with 200 to go and he pretty much brought himself to the line in MSR 2009.
Exception which confirms the rule.
That sprint wasn't exactly typical mass finish. Can you recall another one? I can't.
Last two sprints without train he lost. California and this one.

Just a random thought.

I wonder if there's a higher percentage of crashes on finishes where the barriers don't follow the road properly and you get the road markings skewed somewhat to the required direction of travel when sprinting?

... and if Haussler rode over the back of Cav's front wheel, indicating that Cav was leading, then it shoulda been upto Haussler to put his head up and see where he's riding and get out of the way - dude had a good 6+ft to the barriers. Or do we need to take this one to the European Court of Human Rights? :p

Maybe Cav should have made like Hinault and punished the prettyboi for riding over his bling bling carbon rims...

Hinault-punch-PINP-thumb.jpg

swampy1970 said:
Just a random thought. Maybe Cav should have made like Hinault and punished the prettyboi for riding over his bling bling carbon rims...

Hinault-punch-PINP-thumb.jpg

I would have liked to have seen a similar scene to the picture you posted. Unfortunately, we live in a much more civilized world today:mad: In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw Cavendish and Haussler exchanging insurance information after the crash....

pennstater said:
I would have liked to have seen a similar scene to the picture you posted. Unfortunately, we live in a much more civilized world today:mad: In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw Cavendish and Haussler exchanging insurance information after the crash....

Was that before or after Cav spit on Haussler?

Bro Deal said:
Was that before or after Cav spit on Haussler?

After the handlebar chokehold, the cleat in forehead and the big lump of chest cheese and the two fingered salute....

Andrija said:
Agreed.

Yeah, remember him lipping off about Hushovd going out on his own and picking up sprint points on the road to win the green jersey in last year's TdF?

Chavez said:
Yeah, remember him lipping off about Hushovd going out on his own and picking up sprint points on the road to win the green jersey in last year's TdF?
I better remember other clash with Hushovd for the stage victory. He lost Green jersey then.