60th Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré - ProT

musette said:
You cannot say that a cyclist who has podiumed before at the TdF (in fact, the last edition) has no shot to win.

Also, what is wrong with a sponsor of Astana (who would benefit from publicity associated with Astana participating in the TdF this year) paying for a program that has the goal of getting Astana at the Tour?
Actually, yes I can say that. He wouldn't have podiumed if he weren't one of the lucky dopers. That combined with the fact that his palmers are.....well.........not that impressive, and I can officially say that he couldn't win. He couldn't even beat Contadope if that hack were in the race. So, yes, I can say he couldn't win. The best part is that he wont be there, so I can actually enjoy the race this year. Cheers.

A pretty flat stage tomorrow... with a 300m climb (@ 1%.. :rolleyes: ) near the end then 1% "descent" to the finish. Any predictions? Maybe Hushovd?

Actually, I will go even further, not only is he incapable of winning it physiologically, he is also physically incapable because he won't be there. That makes me so happy. LEVI CAN'T WIN THE 2008 TOUR DE FRANCE!!!!!!!! NEITHER CAN CONTADOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE HOG WILL BE LIMIED TO WATCHING FROM OUTSIDE OF THE PARADE!!!!!!!!! HOLY ****, THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST TOUR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crankyfeet said:
A pretty flat stage tomorrow... with a 300m climb (@ 1%.. :rolleyes: ) near the end then 1% "descent" to the finish. Any predictions? Maybe Hushovd?
Oh yea, there is an actual topic here...um.........I'd say that Hushovd would be the odds on favorite seeing that they wont be kicking from 30kph tomorrow. True spring, and he looks pretty strong.

Maybe Greipel will continue his form from Italy?:) I see a group of High Roaders dropped off the back of the group today so may be saving themselves for a big effort tomorrow.

EvilJediJ said:
Actually the field of sprinters is really weak, even a not at peak Valverde should have taken this stage.

You don't know what you're talking about.

If you did see the stage you would have been aware that the field was compacted in the last 4kms and then split as the gradient increased.
If you are following the race, even by reviewing the stage parcours, on various internet sites, you would be aware that the last 4 kms had a gradient of 5-7 percent.

This stage was never a "sprinters" stage - to use your euphemism.

limerickman said:
You don't know what you're talking about.

If you did see the stage you would have been aware that the field was compacted in the last 4kms and then split as the gradient increased.
If you are following the race, even by reviewing the stage parcours, on various internet sites, you would be aware that the last 4 kms had a gradient of 5-7 percent.

This stage was never a "sprinters" stage - to use your euphemism.
The problem is that many published (media) that it would be a sprinter stage. A lot of journo's probebly never looked at the profile of stage1.

cyclingheroes said:
The problem is that many published (media) that it would be a sprinter stage. A lot of journo's probebly never looked at the profile of stage1.

Fair enough :

thoughtforfood said:
Actually, I will go even further, not only is he incapable of winning it physiologically, he is also physically incapable because he won't be there. That makes me so happy. LEVI CAN'T WIN THE 2008 TOUR DE FRANCE!!!!!!!! NEITHER CAN CONTADOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE HOG WILL BE LIMIED TO WATCHING FROM OUTSIDE OF THE PARADE!!!!!!!!! HOLY ****, THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST TOUR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't chant that until after Stage 1 starts and know for certain that Astana won't be there. Don't curse it! ;)

Hincapie takes it with a smart move at the very end! Wouldn't have placed a bet on that happening, great win for him.

Eldrack said:
Hincapie takes it with a smart move at the very end! Wouldn't have placed a bet on that happening, great win for him.
smart move my ****

it was just a dumb move by wrolich or whoever the Gerolsteiner rider was

thunder said:
smart move my ****

it was just a dumb move by wrolich or whoever the Gerolsteiner rider was
Now now, the dumbness of Lang's move was irrelevant to the smartness of Hincapie's. I'm surprised with your characterization of Lang's move as dumb, as he played the role of McGee to Hincapie's Vinokourov. :D

Crockett said:
Now now, the dumbness of Lang's move was irrelevant to the smartness of Hincapie's. I'm surprised with your characterization of Lang's move as dumb, as he played the role of McGee to Hincapie's Vinokourov. :D
crockett I gave you more credit than this,

two points.

Lang was never going to win. Vino had been out for 3 kms, with someone like Brochard, and Vino attacked all day. Mcgee jumped across at about 1.5km and got across, when Vino had been in the wind. Mcgee jumped, and Vino only just got him. If Mcgee sat up, it would not matter, Vino could have won.

Lang had Haussler back in the bunch, a threat. Mcgee had Cooke, who showed he could not win that year.

Your comparison is flawed :p

thunder said:
crockett I gave you more credit than this,

two points.

Lang was never going to win. Vino had been out for 3 kms, with someone like Brochard, and Vino attacked all day. Mcgee jumped across at about 1.5km and got across, when Vino had been in the wind. Mcgee jumped, and Vino only just got him. If Mcgee sat up, it would not matter, Vino could have won.

Lang had Haussler back in the bunch, a threat. Mcgee had Cooke, who showed he could not win that year.

Your comparison is flawed :p
Three points.

1. Your cycling memory is much better than mine, as I remember none of the details you mentioned above (it is very believable that Cooke was showing that he couldn't win).

2. I started with the premise of McGee in the Lang role, and then tried to think of an example that fit, and not vice versa, so I need to be cut some slack here, as the set of results with McGee pulling a move like that has to be quite small.

3. While admittedly the comparison is not PERFECT, the chance to strike a comparison involving Hincapie, McGee, and a thunder post, that favored Hincapie, could not be passed up, as Hincapie is the red cape to thunder's bull.