Abt on French anti-Americanism during TdF

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not even the "Infallible" Pope takes that position these days.
>
> The Bible clearly states that Peter is the rock that the church will be built on. The only thing
> that is clear is that Peter would have a part in founding the church. The Catholic Church
> eventually became corrupt after
the
> death of the first generation of apostles.While the were alive though,
Paul
> was clearly the supreme apostle and all of the others, including Peter, deferred to him.
>
> In any case, there are clearly Catholic traditions that not only are unsupported, but that are in
> direct conflict with the scriptures.

I don't think that anyone else here gives a **** about this but here is some more
information for you:

Peter becomes Head of the Apostles

In especially solemn fashion Christ accentuated Peter's precedence among the Apostles, when, after
Peter had recognized Him as the Messias, He promised that he would be head of His flock. Jesus was
then dwelling with His Apostles in the vicinity of Caesarea Philippi, engaged on His work of
salvation. As Christ's coming agreed so little in power and glory with the expectations of the
Messias, many different views concerning Him were current. While journeying along with His Apostles,
Jesus asks them: "Whom do men say that the Son of man is?" The Apostles answered: "Some John the
Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets". Jesus said to them:
"But whom do you say that I am?" Simon said: "Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God". And Jesus
answering said to him: "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed
it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter [Kipha, a rock],
and upon this rock [Kipha] I will build my church [ekklesian], and the gates of hell shall not
prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou
shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth,
it shall be loosed also in heaven". Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one
that he was Jesus the Christ (Matthew 16:13-20; Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-21).

By the word "rock" the Saviour cannot have meant Himself, but only Peter, as is so much more
apparent in Aramaic in which the same word (Kipha) is used for "Peter" and "rock". His statement
then admits of but one explanation, namely, that He wishes to make Peter the head of the whole
community of those who believed in Him as the true Messias; that through this foundation (Peter) the
Kingdom of Christ would be unconquerable; that the spiritual guidance of the faithful was placed in
the hands of Peter, as the special representative of Christ. This meaning becomes so much the
clearer when we remember that the words "bind" and "loose" are not metaphorical, but Jewish
juridical terms. It is also clear that the position of Peter among the other Apostles and in the
Christian community was the basis for the Kingdom of God on earth, that is, the Church of Christ.
Peter was personally installed as Head of the Apostles by Christ Himself. This foundation created
for the Church by its Founder could not disappear with the person of Peter, but was intended to
continue and did continue (as actual history shows) in the primacy of the Roman Church and its
bishops. Entirely inconsistent and in itself untenable is the position of Protestants who (like
Schnitzer in recent times) assert that the primacy of the Roman bishops cannot be deduced from the
precedence which Peter held among the Apostles. Just as the essential activity of the Twelve
Apostles in building up and extending the Church did not entirely disappear with their deaths, so
surely did the Apostolic Primacy of Peter not completely vanish. As intended by Christ, it must have
continued its existence and development in a form appropriate to the ecclesiastical organism, just
as the office of the Apostles continued in an appropriate form. Objections have been raised against
the genuineness of the wording of the passage, but the unanimous testimony of the manuscripts, the
parallel passages in the other Gospels, and the fixed belief of pre-Constantine literature furnish
the surest proofs of the genuineness and untampered state of the text of Matthew (cf. "Stimmen aus
MariaLaach", I, 1896,129 sqq.; "Theologie und Glaube", II, 1910,842 sqq.).

Dashii

I am sure nobody else here cares.

Of course I have read and I am familiar with your article. There is nothing new, not by a long
shot. If I did agree with what you (re)-published, you still have not demonstrated shown how the
Catholic Church got its authority from Peter. If you want to carry on with this, I would like to
take it to email.

Thanks, Chris

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [...]
> the parallel passages in the other Gospels, and the fixed belief of pre-Constantine literature
> furnish the surest proofs of the genuineness
and
> untampered state of the text of Matthew (cf. "Stimmen aus MariaLaach", I, 1896,129 sqq.;
> "Theologie und Glaube", II, 1910,842 sqq.).
>

> Dashii

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > That number "33,000" was the total number of Christian physically
separate
> > churches, not organizations. Most of those churches are affiliated
within
> > larger organizations. Even most of the independent ones follow the same theology. They simply
> > recognize that there is no need to have an
official
> > connection to one another. Most of them use the same set of bibles.
>
> You miss the point, there was only one Church authorized by Christ:
>
> Truth is one and it is a person, the person of Jesus Christ: "I am the way, and the truth, and the
> life." John 14:6

One Christ is not the same thing as one physical location of the church! There is one Christ, and
four gospels! There is one Chris and there were 12 original apostles. Neither of those facts are in
conflict with the statement that there is only one Christ and one truth. There are many tests given
by Christ to indicate consistency with what he called "the truth" and the Catholic Church fails!

I would have no problem continuing this by email. These threads have a way of getting way out of
control and I don't think it is right to do that here. If anyone else wants to discuss this or ask
ay questions, feel free to send an email to me.

> Elucidation: Just as there is only one Jesus Christ, there can be only one truth. This verse is
> true because He said it.
> ----
> "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,
and
> the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you* the
keys
> of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever
> you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." Matthew 16:18-19 *The Greek word used here for
> 'you', is 'sou', meaning 'thou', which is singular.
>
> Why did Jesus change the name of Simon to Peter? The answer is in
Scripture.
> Did you notice that Jesus said Church (singular), and not churches
(plural)
> in verse 18? Did you notice that Jesus gave the single set of keys to Peter and to him only in
> verse 19? Did you notice that the binding and loosening are the authority which
Jesus
> Christ gave to the one and only Church that He founded, and to none other?
>
> Elucidation: Jesus founded only one Church, and He gave the single set of keys to one person only,
> Peter. Just as truth is one and Jesus Christ is one, the Church which He founded
is
> one, the visible head of His Church (Peter) on earth is one, and the GOD given authority of that
> Church is one.
> ----
> Caiphas, the Jewish high priest said: "He did not say this of his own accord, but being high
> priest that year he prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation, and not for the nation only,
> but to gather into one the children of God who are scattered
abroad."
> John 11:51-52

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > That number "33,000" was the total number of Christian physically
> separate
> > > churches, not organizations. Most of those churches are affiliated
> within
> > > larger organizations. Even most of the independent ones follow the
same
> > > theology. They simply recognize that there is no need to have an
> official
> > > connection to one another. Most of them use the same set of bibles.
> >
> > You miss the point, there was only one Church authorized by Christ:
> >
> > Truth is one and it is a person, the person of Jesus Christ: "I am the way, and the truth, and
> > the life." John 14:6
>
> One Christ is not the same thing as one physical location of the church! There is one Christ, and
> four gospels! There is one Chris and there were
12
> original apostles. Neither of those facts are in conflict with the
statement
> that there is only one Christ and one truth. There are many tests given by Christ to indicate
> consistency with what he called "the truth" and the Catholic Church fails!
>
> I would have no problem continuing this by email. These threads have a way of getting way out of
> control and I don't think it is right to do that
here.
> If anyone else wants to discuss this or ask ay questions, feel free to
send
> an email to me.

I agree that this doesn't belong on rbr.

A very good place to discuss issues like this and others on the bible is: alt.religion.errancy, a
very interesting and sometimes fiery newsgroup.

I'm not a Catholic or Christian nor do I believe in anything supernatural. I'm a
Skeptic/Secular Humanist.

Maybe see you on alt.religion.errancy

Dashii

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> What was Saddam doing when he invaded Kuwait and probed into Saudi Arabia?

Kuwait was slant-drilling into Iraq (they share a very large oilfield on their mutual border). They
did not resolve the issue through diplomacy so Saddam tried force. He overreached - he should only
have taken the oilfield to prove a point, then withdrawn.

> Everybody was on Al Qaeda's hit list. But they all reached some accomodation with them including
> money and sanctuary.

Saudi Arabia is the principle source of funding for Al Qaeda. The Taliban were the only ones to give
them sanctuary.

BTW, 15 of the 19 9/11 terrorists were Saudi. Saudi Arabia is the principle source of their funding
and that is where Osama bin Laden is from. Why did we invade Iraq then? Other geopolitical and
strategic reasons - Saudi Arabia is infinitely more to blame for 9/11 than secular Iraq.

BTW, my contention that the pre-war debate was not honest is being supported more each day.

from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29766-2003Jul8.html?nav=hptop _ts

Bush Recantation Of Iraq Claim Stirs Calls for Probes By Walter Pincus Wednesday, July 9,
2003; Page A20

Democrats called for investigations yesterday after the White House acknowledged Monday that
President Bush should not have said in his State of the Union address last January that Iraq had
tried to buy uranium in Africa.

The White House acknowledgment followed a British parliamentary report casting doubt on intelligence
about the alleged uranium sale, which Bush had attributed to the British. "Knowing all that we know
now, the reference to Iraq's attempt to acquire uranium from Africa should not have been included in
the State of the Union speech," the White House statement said. In the speech, Bush was trying to
make the case that Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear weapons program.

Senate Minority Leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) called it a "very important admission," adding,
"This ought to be reviewed very carefully. It ought to be the subject of careful scrutiny as well as
some hearings." The senior Democrat on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Sen. John D.
Rockefeller IV (W.Va.), said the administration's admission was not a revelation. "The whole world
knew it was a fraud," Rockefeller said, adding that the current intelligence committee inquiry
should determine how it got into the Bush speech. "Who decided this was something they could work
with?" Rockefeller asked.

<snip><end

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > What was Saddam doing when he invaded Kuwait and probed into Saudi Arabia?
>
> Kuwait was slant-drilling into Iraq (they share a very large oilfield on their mutual border).
> They did not resolve the issue through diplomacy so Saddam tried force. He overreached - he should
> only have taken the oilfield to prove a point, then withdrawn.

You take a lot at face value, don't you? But only when it comes from "them", right?

> > Everybody was on Al Qaeda's hit list. But they all reached some accomodation with them including
> > money and sanctuary.
>
> Saudi Arabia is the principle source of funding for Al Qaeda. The Taliban were the only ones to
> give them sanctuary.
>
> BTW, 15 of the 19 9/11 terrorists were Saudi. Saudi Arabia is the principle source of their
> funding and that is where Osama bin Laden is from. Why did we invade Iraq then?

Because we could come up with lots of legal justifications to do so. It didn't matter which country
we invaded as long as we could put a kinetic presence in the Middle East (as opposed to a static one
in S.Ar.) And it made a point.

> Other geopolitical and strategic reasons - Saudi Arabia is infinitely more to blame for 9/11 than
> secular Iraq.

Saudi Arabia has many factions. But from Iraq's strategic central location you can dominate Iran,
Syria and S.Ar.

> BTW, my contention that the pre-war debate was not honest is being supported more each day.

That is because you are focused on secondary issues rather than the big picture.

> from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29766-2003Jul8.html?nav=hptop _ts
>
> Bush Recantation Of Iraq Claim Stirs Calls for Probes By Walter Pincus Wednesday, July 9, 2003;
> Page A20
>
> Democrats called for investigations yesterday after the White House acknowledged Monday that
> President Bush should not have said in his State of the Union address last January that Iraq had
> tried to buy uranium in Africa.

<snip>

Mohammed El-Baradei, UN IAEA head inspector, said these were forgeries before the UNSC on Mar. 7, 12
days before the war. You can find several contemporary links to this, if you don't mind wading
through the flood of more recent ones, and I remember it well. IOW, it was off the table as a casus
bellum before the war. All the handwringing and fingerpointing that anyone who was reasonably
informed was deceived into going to war on this issue is throwing out red herrings for political
purposes. Saddam did not account for his weapons under the 1991 agreement, regardless of what he did
with them, and thus invited war.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:38:08 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You are uninformed.
>
>Saddam even checked with April Glaspie, the US Ambassador to Iraq. She made a collosal mistake -
>telling him that the United States did not wish to involve itself in disputes between Iraq and her
>neighbors.
>
>This is a historical fact.

No, you are ill-informed. You need better sources if you are going to attack someone. That story is
a monumental myth that has been de-bunked more times than Cher has had plastic surgery.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:38:08 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >You are uninformed.
> >
> >Saddam even checked with April Glaspie, the US Ambassador to Iraq. She
made
> >a collosal mistake - telling him that the United States did not wish to involve itself in
> >disputes between Iraq and her neighbors.
> >
> >This is a historical fact.
>
> No, you are ill-informed. You need better sources if you are going to attack someone. That story
> is a monumental myth that has been de-bunked more times than Cher has had plastic surgery.

Please cite a reputable source.

Also, please explain why Bush Sr. sacked Glaspie immediately after the conclusion of Gulf War 1.
Everyone else involved in that affair (the military end) was lauded because they performed - the
diplomatic arm got the boot because it did not perform.

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > What was Saddam doing when he invaded Kuwait and probed into Saudi Arabia?
> >
> > Kuwait was slant-drilling into Iraq (they share a very large oilfield on their mutual border).
> > They did not resolve the issue through diplomacy
so
> > Saddam tried force. He overreached - he should only have taken the
oilfield
> > to prove a point, then withdrawn.
>
> You take a lot at face value, don't you? But only when it comes from "them", right?

David -

You are uninformed.

Saddam even checked with April Glaspie, the US Ambassador to Iraq. She made a collosal mistake -
telling him that the United States did not wish to involve itself in disputes between Iraq and her
neighbors.

This is a historical fact.

http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/iraqwar/timeline/timeline_04.html

In October 1989, President Bush signed a top-secret National Security Decision, which stated:
"Normal relations between the U.S. and Iraq would serve our long-term interests and promote
stability in both the Gulf and the Middle East. The U.S. should propose economic and political
incentives for Iraq to moderate its behavior and increase our influence with Iraq ... We should
pursue, and seek to facilitate, opportunities for U.S. firms to participate in the reconstruction of
the Iraqi economy."

In line with that doctrine, the Bush administration supported a series of guaranteed loans to Iraq,
plus high-tech sales to the Hussein regime. The last of these sales was approved on Aug. 1, 1990.
The next day the loans were put on hold. Saddam Hussein had invaded Kuwait.

It was a terrible miscalculation by Hussein, who was involved in an ongoing dispute with his tiny
neighbor over oil rights near their shared border. He apparently believed that neither the United
States nor any of its allies would retaliate in response to the invasion. In fact, just a week
before he sent his army into Kuwait, Hussein had been told by U.S. Ambassador April Glaspie that "we
have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait."

<snip><end

Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]:

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:38:08 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>You are uninformed.
>>
>>Saddam even checked with April Glaspie, the US Ambassador to Iraq. She made a collosal mistake -
>>telling him that the United States did not wish to involve itself in disputes between Iraq and her
>>neighbors.
>>
>>This is a historical fact.
>
> No, you are ill-informed. You need better sources if you are going to attack someone. That story
> is a monumental myth that has been de-bunked more times than Cher has had plastic surgery.

You are a real comedian. Henry supports his argument by citing a source, and you debunk it by citing
. . . Cher!

Thanks so much for adding some levity to a serious political debate.

NS

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:38:08 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >You are uninformed.
> > >
> > >Saddam even checked with April Glaspie, the US Ambassador to Iraq. She
> made
> > >a collosal mistake - telling him that the United States did not wish to involve itself in
> > >disputes between Iraq and her neighbors.
> > >
> > >This is a historical fact.
> >
> > No, you are ill-informed. You need better sources if you are going to attack someone. That story
> > is a monumental myth that has been de-bunked more times than Cher has had plastic surgery.
>
> Please cite a reputable source.
>
> Also, please explain why Bush Sr. sacked Glaspie immediately after the conclusion of Gulf War 1.
> Everyone else involved in that affair (the military end) was lauded because they performed - the
> diplomatic arm got the boot because it did not perform.

I have no opinion on the dispute between you and Lindsay. Are you going to kill him?

Just another canard.

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

She
> > made

> > > No, you are ill-informed. You need better sources if you are going to attack someone. That
> > > story is a monumental myth that has been de-bunked more times than Cher has had plastic
> > > surgery.
> >
> > Please cite a reputable source.
> >
> > Also, please explain why Bush Sr. sacked Glaspie immediately after the conclusion of Gulf War 1.
> > Everyone else involved in that affair (the military end) was lauded because they performed - the
> > diplomatic arm got
the
> > boot because it did not perform.
>
> I have no opinion on the dispute between you and Lindsay. Are you going to kill him?

What the hell are you talking about?

> Just another canard.

Please cite a source. I have many others on the Saddam/Kuwaiti oil dispute.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > >
> > > "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:p[email protected]...

> She
> > > made

> > > Please cite a reputable source.
> > >
> > > Also, please explain why Bush Sr. sacked Glaspie immediately after the conclusion of Gulf War
> > > 1. Everyone else involved in that affair (the military end) was lauded because they performed
> > > - the diplomatic arm got
> the
> > > boot because it did not perform.
> >
> > I have no opinion on the dispute between you and Lindsay. Are you going to kill him?
>
> What the hell are you talking about?

I am talking about Saddam doing something ridiculous given the situation and thinking we would
remain neutral.

Iraq recognized the independence of Kuwait after a border skirmish in 1963. The same at least
once before. Then they keep renigging. But we would have had the expection that at least that
should be honored.

> > Just another canard.
>
> Please cite a source. I have many others on the Saddam/Kuwaiti oil dispute.

You have your facts generally right. But you interpret them, as many others do, through glasses of
your chosen color.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:10:04 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:38:08 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Please cite a reputable source.
>
>Also, please explain why Bush Sr. sacked Glaspie immediately after the conclusion of Gulf War 1.
>Everyone else involved in that affair (the military end) was lauded because they performed - the
>diplomatic arm got the boot because it did not perform.

Again, ill-informed, there was no one named 'Bush Sr.' involved in Gulf War I.

Sites such as Serendipity and Salon jumped on quotes like the one cited from April Glaspie as some
sort of 'proof' we gave permission to Sadaam. Please, it's **** to take that illogical leap. Google
it, the truth is out there.

Lindsay
----------------------------

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:22:36 GMT, Nev Shea <[email protected]> wrote:

>You are a real comedian. Henry supports his argument by citing a source, and you debunk it by
>citing . . . Cher!
>
>Thanks so much for adding some levity to a serious political debate.

Congrats on spotting the ridiculous comparison. It's just as ridiculous to take what April Glaspie
said and spin it into giving permission to Sadaam to invade Kuwait.

Lindsay
----------------------------

David Ryan wrote:
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>BTW, my contention that the pre-war debate was not honest is being supported more each day.
> That is because you are focused on secondary issues rather than the big picture.

As an outside observer, I'm happy to tell you that you are still demonstrating your ignorance.

The big picture: your government LIED to you to justify an action that would otherwise have been
illegal. Don't you care about that? How can you possibly trust your government?

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > Please cite a source. I have many others on the Saddam/Kuwaiti oil
dispute.

> You have your facts generally right. But you interpret them, as many others do, through glasses of
> your chosen color.

Coming from you David, that is hilarious!

You are accusing Kurgan of using tactics that the biblethumpers are famous for.

What goes around, comes around.

Ok enough about the bible, I'm through with it here.

Dashii

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> David Ryan wrote:
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >>BTW, my contention that the pre-war debate was not honest is being supported more each day.
> > That is because you are focused on secondary issues rather than the big picture.
>
> As an outside observer, I'm happy to tell you that you are still demonstrating your ignorance.
>
> The big picture: your government LIED to you to justify an action that would otherwise have been
> illegal. Don't you care about that? How can you possibly trust your government?

The big picture is that you all have seized on one item in order to obscure a long list of reasons
for invading Iraq for partisan political purposes that is to the detriment of the United States, not
that you care about that.

Dashi Toshii wrote:

> "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> > > Please cite a source. I have many others on the Saddam/Kuwaiti oil
> dispute.
> >
> > You have your facts generally right. But you interpret them, as many others do, through glasses
> > of your chosen color.
>
> Coming from you David, that is hilarious!
>
> You are accusing Kurgan of using tactics that the biblethumpers are famous for.
>
> What goes around, comes around.
>
> Ok enough about the bible, I'm through with it here.
>
> Dashii

I'm not a bible thumper. So I guess we are done :)

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

> I'm not a bible thumper. So I guess we are done :)

Where does that phrase come from? Is that a conservative Christian that hits people over the head
with their Bible?