ActionBent SWB/USS review

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bentbiker

With many people wondering about ActionBents, thought i'd post some comments on this bike, the Jet
Stream 26/20. This is the 2nd generation, with the new Ventilated seat. Upon receiving, i was amazed
as it came in the smallest darn bike box i've ever seen with a recumbent. It was well packed, and
all tubes bubble wrapped. Everything is installed, but you do have to route the cables, and adjust
derailleurs and brakes. The quality of the welds is exceptional, and this one, painted silver, was
very lustrous and nicely done. I have got some scratching adjusting the boom, but nothing out of the
ordinary. The only thing of marginal quality is the crank set, generic alloy arms, with steel rings.
The front derailleur is shimano 105, rear Sram new x-7. Brakes are Avid V brakes. I figured i'd
upgrade the wheels, as they were an unfamiliar Taiwan brand to me, Jetsep rim, black interior
w/machined braking surface, and Star brand hubs. Much to my delight, these wheels are VERY nice, one
of the smoothest hubs i've seen, Velocity quality, and were nice and true. USS bar is very
comfortable, and allows nice angling to accomplish letting your palms lay comfortable on the bar
tops. There is some seat interference when turned sharply, which from my experience happens with the
natural tiller from direct steer USS. As a baseline though, I can turn from one sidewalk to another
at a 90 degree angle at low speed, so it's acceptable to me. The bike has a 41" wheel base, with
approx. 21" seat height and 24" BB, slightly higher than say a V-rex configuration. It has an
approximate 57/43 weight distribution. The ride is very smooth and predictable. The seat, is
EXCELLENT. It mounts with a new pin mechanism and has a quick release to adjust seat angle from a
max. of about 43 degrees to 50 degrees. The comfort is as good as any hard shell i've ridden, better
than my previous favorite Turner hard-shell seat. It is a vinyl covered, nicely padded with the big
vent in the rear, which seams to help improve air circulation, and the bar up the back, should
dissipate any road spray. I easily maintained 18 plus on rides with an equal rider on a v-rex,
pretty impressive for a USS bike. The over all quality, components, fit and finish make this an
extremely good value at 665.00. The owner Randy Schulman is very responsive in replying to mails,
and has a nicely done sight for ordering and information. I have no connection with the company. If
any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it

Hi Bentbiker - do you have weight on the bike? Thanks for the review.

Chris

Did you buy it direct or from Ebay?

"bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> With many people wondering about ActionBents, thought i'd post some comments on this bike, the
> Jet Stream 26/20. This is the 2nd generation, with the new Ventilated seat. Upon receiving, i was
> amazed as it came in the smallest darn bike box i've ever seen with a recumbent. It was well
> packed, and all tubes bubble wrapped. Everything is installed, but you do have to route the
> cables, and adjust derailleurs and brakes. The quality of the welds is exceptional, and this one,
> painted silver, was very lustrous and nicely done. I have got some scratching adjusting the boom,
> but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing of marginal quality is the crank set, generic
> alloy arms, with steel rings. The front derailleur is shimano 105, rear Sram new x-7. Brakes are
> Avid V brakes. I figured i'd upgrade the wheels, as they were an unfamiliar Taiwan brand to me,
> Jetsep rim, black interior w/machined braking surface, and Star brand hubs. Much to my delight,
> these wheels are VERY nice, one of the smoothest hubs i've seen, Velocity quality, and were nice
> and true. USS bar is very comfortable, and allows nice angling to accomplish letting your palms
> lay comfortable on the bar tops. There is some seat interference when turned sharply, which from
> my experience happens with the natural tiller from direct steer USS. As a baseline though, I can
> turn from one sidewalk to another at a 90 degree angle at low speed, so it's acceptable to me.
> The bike has a 41" wheel base, with approx. 21" seat height and 24" BB, slightly higher than say
> a V-rex configuration. It has an approximate 57/43 weight distribution. The ride is very smooth
> and predictable. The seat, is EXCELLENT. It mounts with a new pin mechanism and has a quick
> release to adjust seat angle from a max. of about 43 degrees to 50 degrees. The comfort is as
> good as any hard shell i've ridden, better than my previous favorite Turner hard-shell seat. It
> is a vinyl covered, nicely padded with the big vent in the rear, which seams to help improve air
> circulation, and the bar up the back, should dissipate any road spray. I easily maintained 18
> plus on rides with an equal rider on a v-rex, pretty impressive for a USS bike. The over all
> quality, components, fit and finish make this an extremely good value at 665.00. The owner Randy
> Schulman is very responsive in replying to mails, and has a nicely done sight for ordering and
> information. I have no connection with the company. If any one has a specific question, i'd be
> happy to answer it

approx. 29, but the crank is heavy, could shave some weight some there.

Chris Crawford wrote:
> Hi Bentbiker - do you have weight on the bike? Thanks for the review.
>
> Chris

I bought it from Ebay, but talking to Randy, it's no difference, he'll do direct as easily.

Mark Leuck wrote:

> Did you buy it direct or from Ebay?
>
> "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>With many people wondering about ActionBents, thought i'd post some comments on this bike, the
>>Jet Stream 26/20. This is the 2nd generation, with the new Ventilated seat. Upon receiving, i was
>>amazed as it came in the smallest darn bike box i've ever seen with a recumbent. It was well
>>packed, and all tubes bubble wrapped. Everything is installed, but you do have to route the
>>cables, and adjust derailleurs and brakes. The quality of the welds is exceptional, and this one,
>>painted silver, was very lustrous and nicely done. I have got some scratching adjusting the boom,
>>but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing of marginal quality is the crank set, generic
>>alloy arms, with steel rings. The front derailleur is shimano 105, rear Sram new x-7. Brakes are
>>Avid V brakes. I figured i'd upgrade the wheels, as they were an unfamiliar Taiwan brand to me,
>>Jetsep rim, black interior w/machined braking surface, and Star brand hubs. Much to my delight,
>>these wheels are VERY nice, one of the smoothest hubs i've seen, Velocity quality, and were nice
>>and true. USS bar is very comfortable, and allows nice angling to accomplish letting your palms
>>lay comfortable on the bar tops. There is some seat interference when turned sharply, which from
>>my experience happens with the natural tiller from direct steer USS. As a baseline though, I can
>>turn from one sidewalk to another at a 90 degree angle at low speed, so it's acceptable to me.
>>The bike has a 41" wheel base, with approx. 21" seat height and 24" BB, slightly higher than say
>>a V-rex configuration. It has an approximate 57/43 weight distribution. The ride is very smooth
>>and predictable. The seat, is EXCELLENT. It mounts with a new pin mechanism and has a quick
>>release to adjust seat angle from a max. of about 43 degrees to 50 degrees. The comfort is as
>>good as any hard shell i've ridden, better than my previous favorite Turner hard-shell seat. It
>>is a vinyl covered, nicely padded with the big vent in the rear, which seams to help improve air
>>circulation, and the bar up the back, should dissipate any road spray. I easily maintained 18
>>plus on rides with an equal rider on a v-rex, pretty impressive for a USS bike. The over all
>>quality, components, fit and finish make this an extremely good value at 665.00. The owner Randy
>>Schulman is very responsive in replying to mails, and has a nicely done sight for ordering and
>>information. I have no connection with the company. If any one has a specific question, i'd be
>>happy to answer it
>>
>

Do you know what rear cassette comes with the bike ? I have one on the way, and the cassette will
probably be the first thing I swap out.

Greg in Florida

Take a look on eBay and you will see the winning bids are about $40 to $50 below the website price.

SRAM cassette, some of the Jet stream accidently came with 9 speeds, but Randy says the factory is
airmailing them to him, and he will forward them out to us.

swamprun wrote:
> Do you know what rear cassette comes with the bike ? I have one on the way, and the cassette will
> probably be the first thing I swap out.
>
> Greg in Florida

bentbiker wrote:
> ... If any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it

What number is this bike (total recumbents owned)?

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket,
Earth Cycles Sunset and Dragonflyer

trying to shame me Tom? :) This bike I think is #62 for me :-(

Tom Sherman wrote:
> bentbiker wrote:
>
>>... If any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it
>
>
> What number is this bike (total recumbents owned)?
>
> Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket,
> Earth Cycles Sunset and Dragonflyer

Do you have any riding favorites that you wouldn't sell?

I have eight rideable (three of them recumbents) right now and three frames in different degrees
of completion. I have a hard time letting them go whereas you seem to not get as attached to
them as I do.

skip

"bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> trying to shame me Tom? :) This bike I think is #62 for me :-(
>
> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > bentbiker wrote:
> >
> >>... If any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it
> >
> >
> > What number is this bike (total recumbents owned)?

I'm really attached to the New style Vision, will be keeping that. And so far impressed with the
actionbent, and plan on hanging on to it. My daughter has a rocket I gave her, that she won't
part with.

skip wrote:
> Do you have any riding favorites that you wouldn't sell?
>
> I have eight rideable (three of them recumbents) right now and three frames in different degrees
> of completion. I have a hard time letting them go whereas you seem to not get as attached to them
> as I do.
>
> skip
>
> "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>trying to shame me Tom? :) This bike I think is #62 for me :-(
>>
>>Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>>>bentbiker wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>... If any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it
>>>
>>>
>>>What number is this bike (total recumbents owned)?
>>>
>
>

> If any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it

Probably not a question you can easily answer, but the web site talks of a maximum x-seam of 46",
but I reckon I'd want about 47-48. Could I get the extra inch or two from the boom without
scarficing too much rigidity you think?

many thanks garryb

to be honest, I think you could, but if I had that long a X seam, i'd be looking for a fixed boom,
moving seat, or maybe a Lightning that has both.

Garry Broad wrote:

>>If any one has a specific question, i'd be happy to answer it
>
>
> Probably not a question you can easily answer, but the web site talks of a maximum x-seam of 46",
> but I reckon I'd want about 47-48. Could I get the extra inch or two from the boom without
> scarficing too much rigidity you think?
>
> many thanks garryb

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:14:25 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

>Probably not a question you can easily answer, but the web site talks of a maximum x-seam of 46",
>but I reckon I'd want about 47-48. Could I get the extra inch or two from the boom without
>scarficing too much rigidity you think?

A Japanese distributor told me that an extra-long boom is available as an option. I don't know if
that's a good idea though. Besides boom flex, weight distribution would also be affected.

Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

not sure why you think weight distribution would be effected, it's a fixed seat mount point, the
added weight of your legs is pretty insignificant in total volume. I did weight distribution on my
action bent it was 57 rear 43 front, which is darn near perfect.

Ken Kobayashi wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:14:25 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>Probably not a question you can easily answer, but the web site talks of a maximum x-seam of 46",
>>but I reckon I'd want about 47-48. Could I get the extra inch or two from the boom without
>>scarficing too much rigidity you think?
>
>
> A Japanese distributor told me that an extra-long boom is available as an option. I don't know if
> that's a good idea though. Besides boom flex, weight distribution would also be affected.
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

bentbiker wrote:
>
> not sure why you think weight distribution would be effected, it's a fixed seat mount point, the
> added weight of your legs is pretty insignificant in total volume. I did weight distribution on my
> action bent it was 57 rear 43 front, which is darn near perfect.

Yes, it adds up to 100%, so it must be right. ;)

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket,
Earth Cycles Sunset and Dragonflyer

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:35:20 -0400, bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote:

>to be honest, I think you could, but if I had that long a X seam, i'd be looking for a fixed boom,
>moving seat, or maybe a Lightning that has both.
>

Sure. At the end of the day, It's a case of trying one out. I haven't even riden a recumbent yet, so
I'm just looking around at the available options with consideration to price etc. I have begun a
self-build project, but I'm running into problems with using only mapp/air gas, smaller joints are
fine but the bigger BB type fillets are proving difficult!

For the money the ActionBent looks like a really attractive entry option.

Cheers

Garryb

Originally posted by Garry Broad
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:35:20 -0400, bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote:

>to be honest, I think you could, but if I had that long a X seam, i'd be looking for a fixed boom,
>moving seat, or maybe a Lightning that has both.
>

Sure. At the end of the day, It's a case of trying one out. I haven't even riden a recumbent yet, so
I'm just looking around at the available options with consideration to price etc. I have begun a
self-build project, but I'm running into problems with using only mapp/air gas, smaller joints are
fine but the bigger BB type fillets are proving difficult!

For the money the ActionBent looks like a really attractive entry option.

Cheers

Garryb

Some comments about Mapp:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~outlander/buildersworkshop/index.html

john riley

you can't go wrong with the action bent, if it had a big "brand" name on it, it would sell for 1100
to 1200.00. for half that it's a steal. Components are worth 400.00 and you can't get a set of that
quality for less than 150.00

Garry Broad wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:35:20 -0400, bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>to be honest, I think you could, but if I had that long a X seam, i'd be looking for a fixed boom,
>>moving seat, or maybe a Lightning that has both.
>>
>
>
> Sure. At the end of the day, It's a case of trying one out. I haven't even riden a recumbent yet,
> so I'm just looking around at the available options with consideration to price etc. I have begun
> a self-build project, but I'm running into problems with using only mapp/air gas, smaller joints
> are fine but the bigger BB type fillets are proving difficult!
>
> For the money the ActionBent looks like a really attractive entry option.
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Garryb

Status
Not open for further replies.