Afternoon with a stranger

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    There was me, driving back from Chalk Farm on the other side of Swaffham,
    car full of plants, and I spy a cyclist on the A47 pushing a heavily laden
    bike along, looking a bit, well, dejected. I happened to have a track pump
    and a puncture repair kit in the car with me (as one does), so I pulled up a
    bit in front of him, off the main carriageway, to enquire if he was in need
    of assistance.

    Turns out he was having a rest from cycling. No puncture, but a few
    irritating things wrong with the bike. Strange accent - Canadian/Danish...
    and basically this guy is working his way around the globe with his bike as
    his transport & all worldly goods on it.

    So it being Easter Monday, no bike shops for a long way - so I gave him the
    address of Chateau Unfit Family and said that if he was heading in that
    direction (he was) to call in and we'd see if we could help out with his
    bike as Vernon has a garage full of bits and today he was doing bike
    maintenance.

    Anyhow - I'm back at Chateau Unfit Family (potting plants while Vernon does
    the bike maintenance) and a while later, a globe-trotting Danish/Canadian
    cyclist shows up.

    His steed is an ancient German thing that has seen better days, as has his
    luggage, containing his worldly possessions, as he tours around like this,
    looking for work in various parts of the world.

    Anyhow, we provide tea, cake and Vernon cleans his bike for him, does a bit
    of maintenance work on the mudguard, headset & drum brakes - cleans the bike
    too. We supply him with spares of Useful Stuff such as batteries, cable
    ties, LED headtorch, rear LED, reflective stuff, bottle carrier for waist
    belt, detailed maps of the area. Vernon is given a rather nice Leatherman
    multi-tool as a thank you, and I'm given a stopwatch. We didn't want to
    accept but did not want to offend.

    He's now headed off in the direction of Fakenham, with Nathan going part of
    the way to show him the route up the back roads, to avoid the busy roads.

    It was a thoroughly interesting afternoon. Seeing a cyclist looking as if he
    was struggling along the mad A47, I had to stop, as I would not want to be
    in that position myself, and be stranded on a day when there's not that many
    places open and in a strange place. As it turns out, Vernon & I had an
    interesting afternoon chatting with a cycling stranger.

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat wrote:
    > There was me, driving back from Chalk Farm on the other side of
    > Swaffham, car full of plants, and I spy a cyclist on the A47 pushing a
    > heavily laden bike along, looking a bit, well, dejected. I happened to
    > have a track pump and a puncture repair kit in the car with me (as one
    > does), so I pulled up a bit in front of him, off the main carriageway,
    > to enquire if he was in need of assistance.
    >
    > Turns out he was having a rest from cycling. No puncture, but a few
    > irritating things wrong with the bike. Strange accent -
    > Canadian/Danish... and basically this guy is working his way around the
    > globe with his bike as his transport & all worldly goods on it.
    >
    > So it being Easter Monday, no bike shops for a long way - so I gave him
    > the address of Chateau Unfit Family and said that if he was heading in
    > that direction (he was) to call in and we'd see if we could help out
    > with his bike as Vernon has a garage full of bits and today he was doing
    > bike maintenance.
    >
    > Anyhow - I'm back at Chateau Unfit Family (potting plants while Vernon
    > does the bike maintenance) and a while later, a globe-trotting
    > Danish/Canadian cyclist shows up.
    >
    > His steed is an ancient German thing that has seen better days, as has
    > his luggage, containing his worldly possessions, as he tours around like
    > this, looking for work in various parts of the world.
    >
    > Anyhow, we provide tea, cake and Vernon cleans his bike for him, does a
    > bit of maintenance work on the mudguard, headset & drum brakes - cleans
    > the bike too. We supply him with spares of Useful Stuff such as
    > batteries, cable ties, LED headtorch, rear LED, reflective stuff, bottle
    > carrier for waist belt, detailed maps of the area. Vernon is given a
    > rather nice Leatherman multi-tool as a thank you, and I'm given a
    > stopwatch. We didn't want to accept but did not want to offend.
    >
    > He's now headed off in the direction of Fakenham, with Nathan going part
    > of the way to show him the route up the back roads, to avoid the busy
    > roads.
    >
    > It was a thoroughly interesting afternoon. Seeing a cyclist looking as
    > if he was struggling along the mad A47, I had to stop, as I would not
    > want to be in that position myself, and be stranded on a day when
    > there's not that many places open and in a strange place. As it turns
    > out, Vernon & I had an interesting afternoon chatting with a cycling
    > stranger.

    Nice one. I'm sure what you've done will go a long way.

    --
    Hywel

  3. jss

    jss Guest

    well done to you, what a nice family of caring people, i am still seething
    at the arsehole who shouted the obsenities at me on Friday morning in
    Helmshore!!!!!!
    So much so that I am thinking of going up there qgain (to see my dad) and
    hope that this foul mouthed cyclist passes me again, he won't stay on his
    shitty old racer for long, thats for sure!!!!
    Your story has given me re-assurances that some of us cyclists are decent
    folk!

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There was me, driving back from Chalk Farm on the other side of Swaffham,
    > car full of plants, and I spy a cyclist on the A47 pushing a heavily laden
    > bike along, looking a bit, well, dejected. I happened to have a track pump
    > and a puncture repair kit in the car with me (as one does), so I pulled up
    > a bit in front of him, off the main carriageway, to enquire if he was in
    > need of assistance.
    >
    > Turns out he was having a rest from cycling. No puncture, but a few
    > irritating things wrong with the bike. Strange accent - Canadian/Danish...
    > and basically this guy is working his way around the globe with his bike
    > as his transport & all worldly goods on it.
    >
    > So it being Easter Monday, no bike shops for a long way - so I gave him
    > the address of Chateau Unfit Family and said that if he was heading in
    > that direction (he was) to call in and we'd see if we could help out with
    > his bike as Vernon has a garage full of bits and today he was doing bike
    > maintenance.
    >
    > Anyhow - I'm back at Chateau Unfit Family (potting plants while Vernon
    > does the bike maintenance) and a while later, a globe-trotting
    > Danish/Canadian cyclist shows up.
    >
    > His steed is an ancient German thing that has seen better days, as has his
    > luggage, containing his worldly possessions, as he tours around like this,
    > looking for work in various parts of the world.
    >
    > Anyhow, we provide tea, cake and Vernon cleans his bike for him, does a
    > bit of maintenance work on the mudguard, headset & drum brakes - cleans
    > the bike too. We supply him with spares of Useful Stuff such as batteries,
    > cable ties, LED headtorch, rear LED, reflective stuff, bottle carrier for
    > waist belt, detailed maps of the area. Vernon is given a rather nice
    > Leatherman multi-tool as a thank you, and I'm given a stopwatch. We didn't
    > want to accept but did not want to offend.
    >
    > He's now headed off in the direction of Fakenham, with Nathan going part
    > of the way to show him the route up the back roads, to avoid the busy
    > roads.
    >
    > It was a thoroughly interesting afternoon. Seeing a cyclist looking as if
    > he was struggling along the mad A47, I had to stop, as I would not want to
    > be in that position myself, and be stranded on a day when there's not that
    > many places open and in a strange place. As it turns out, Vernon & I had
    > an interesting afternoon chatting with a cycling stranger.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > --
    >
    > ~~
    > you may need to remove dependence
    > on fame & fortune from organisation
    > to get correct email address
    > ~Noodliness is Good~

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Nice one. I'm sure what you've done will go a long way.
    >
    > --
    > Hywel

    Ta. The Unfit Family had kindness from total strangers when we needed it in
    France a couple of summers ago. It's good to be able to pass kindness along
    in turn.

    Cheers, helen s

  5. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    "jss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > well done to you, what a nice family of caring people, i am still seething
    > at the arsehole who shouted the obsenities at me on Friday morning in
    > Helmshore!!!!!!
    > So much so that I am thinking of going up there qgain (to see my dad) and
    > hope that this foul mouthed cyclist passes me again, he won't stay on his
    > shitty old racer for long, thats for sure!!!!
    > Your story has given me re-assurances that some of us cyclists are decent
    > folk!

    Sadly your past and current postings do little to reassure that there's much
    that decent cyclists can identify with you.....

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    jss wrote:

    > Your story has given me re-assurances that some of us cyclists are decent
    > folk!

    ITYM "you cyclists"

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  7. mb

    mb Guest

    jss wrote:

    > well done to you, what a nice family of caring people, i am still
    > seething at the arsehole who shouted the obsenities at me on Friday
    > morning in Helmshore!!!!!! So much so that I am thinking of going up
    > there qgain (to see my dad) and hope that this foul mouthed cyclist
    > passes me again, he won't stay on his shitty old racer for long,
    > thats for sure!!!! Your story has given me re-assurances that some
    > of us cyclists are decent folk!

    You ought to calm down a bit. That was one person out of thousands.

    --
    Mike

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Nice one. I'm sure what you've done will go a long way.

    Very true. Its the people that you meet touring that makes it such a blast.
    Cyclists the world over seem friendly and helpful.

  9. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    jss wrote:
    > well done to you, what a nice family of caring people, i am still seething
    > at the arsehole who shouted the obsenities at me on Friday morning in
    > Helmshore!!!!!!

    Why, for goodness sake? Some idiot shouted at you, maybe as a
    deliberate wind-up, or possibly he mistook you for someone else he'd
    had a run-in with earlier. Who knows? He almost certainly forgot about
    the incident completely within the next 60 seconds. You, on the other
    hand have been carrying the psychological baggage around for days. Why
    would you let someone you don't even know affect you like that? These
    things happen in life. Let it go.

    --
    Dave...