Amino Vital?

bona22

Jun 19, 2006
ANY of you guys use this? i used it once and felt good,
more of a psychological effect to it i believe but my buddy takes a protein shake that has all the amino acids and more then the amino vital

however, i cannot drink the protein shake during a ride where as i can drink av,
so is it nessesary to have an intake of amino acids during strenous exercise, ie. riding for 3 hours? or is it alright to get it from the pre and post protein serving?

thanx

i have been using AV so some time and would recommend it to anyone who is on a diet that lacks protein. as for energy of a "boost", forget about it. i would do what all the Ph.D's say and consume high glycemic carbs during and right after a ride. the more carbs (MMMMMMM PASTA!!!!!) a couple hours later. maybe several hours later (when the metabolism is at rest) have some protien. but honestly, after using AV for 1-1.5 years, i have not felt and made any noticable gains from it. but it may be becuase i have a well-planned and proper diet for an athlete. again, unless you are a vegetarian and/or lacking in protein in your diet, AV will help. but if you are working out to any significant extent, you can still get protien while being a vegetarian or vegan. it does have a nice citrus flavor!!

I have researched AV extensively and there is absolutely no good research supporting this supplement. The amounts of AA present in the suggested serving sizes are worthless - they are too small to provide any benefit. End of story.

Don't waste your time and money. Most people get more than enough protein in their diet, so if you're eating a balanced diet, you should be fine with protein. With the most extreme exercise, protein can contribute up to (and I stress UP TO) 10% of energy expenditure. Most of your rides will not come close to that. Focus on carbohydrates and glycogen replenishment.

bona22 said:
ANY of you guys use this? i used it once and felt good,
more of a psychological effect to it i believe but my buddy takes a protein shake that has all the amino acids and more then the amino vital

however, i cannot drink the protein shake during a ride where as i can drink av,
so is it nessesary to have an intake of amino acids during strenous exercise, ie. riding for 3 hours? or is it alright to get it from the pre and post protein serving?

thanx

Agreed. There is nothing special about AV. It does taste good, and it may be good to mix it up every now and then, but it is so expensive it's probably not worth it.

Orange Fish said:
I have researched AV extensively and there is absolutely no good research supporting this supplement. The amounts of AA present in the suggested serving sizes are worthless - they are too small to provide any benefit. End of story.

Don't waste your time and money. Most people get more than enough protein in their diet, so if you're eating a balanced diet, you should be fine with protein. With the most extreme exercise, protein can contribute up to (and I stress UP TO) 10% of energy expenditure. Most of your rides will not come close to that. Focus on carbohydrates and glycogen replenishment.