Another effect of the UCI anti-doping "agreement"

Carl Sundquist

Guest
Since they would also be required to pay one years' salary as a fine, riders
will have potentially have less financial resources to fight WADA. Of
course, the fine is only for "guilty" riders.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:07:14 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Since they would also be required to pay one years' salary as a fine, riders
>will have potentially have less financial resources to fight WADA. Of
>course, the fine is only for "guilty" riders.

Nah, it will have already been spent fighting the case.

That's the problem they are going to keep having. As long as the penalties are
career ending and they mostly are, there is no way a rider can accept them.
Increasing the penalties doesn't change the arithmetic. "Okay, so if I don't
fight, I'm out for four years and I'm broke. If I do fight and lose I'll be out
four years and I'll be broke." Hell yeah, the rider is going to spend his
remaining money on lawyers instead of fines. And why wouldn't he.

Ron

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:07:14 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Since they would also be required to pay one years' salary as a fine,
>>riders
>>will have potentially have less financial resources to fight WADA. Of
>>course, the fine is only for "guilty" riders.

> Nah, it will have already been spent fighting the case.
>
> That's the problem they are going to keep having. As long as the
> penalties are
> career ending and they mostly are, there is no way a rider can accept
> them.
> Increasing the penalties doesn't change the arithmetic. "Okay, so if I
> don't
> fight, I'm out for four years and I'm broke. If I do fight and lose
> I'll be out
> four years and I'll be broke." Hell yeah, the rider is going to spend
> his
> remaining money on lawyers instead of fines. And why wouldn't he.

No, you've got it all wrong. This will stop anyone from doping ever
again.

Phil H