Are we there yet?

I know this has nothing to do with cycling but this board does get many from across the pond and the funny thing is that there is a film that is not getting distribution in the USA cause they feel that Americans would never be able to understand a South London Accent. I am looking into this film but wonder.

Is a South London accent so hard for an American to understand? I have been to London and never had trouble understanding folks but I was on the West Side for a bit and not sure if I ever went to the South side.

-js

Forecast calls for mid-60s on Friday, and I'm getting cabin fever. I think tonight might be my last workout on the trainer. I can't wait to take the trainer tire off!

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

I know this has nothing to do with cycling but this board does get many from across the pond and the funny thing is that there is a film that is not getting distribution in the USA cause they feel that Americans would never be able to understand a South London Accent. I am looking into this film but wonder.

Is a South London accent so hard for an American to understand? I have been to London and never had trouble understanding folks but I was on the West Side for a bit and not sure if I ever went to the South side.

-js
A true Cockey, with rhyming slang and all may be a challenge but those folks are seemingly getting fewer and far between.

Being a bit of a 'Northerner' I sometimes choose not to understand Southerners :p (like the folks from London) but even I can really have a massively hard time understanding folks from the North East - up and around Newcastle - especially when they're talking at full speed and excited about something, like talking about football after 8 pints of bitter... It's kinda like listening to Brad Pitts' character in the movie ******. You know they're talking but you have no clue what they're saying...

Originally Posted by lanierb .

Well, that will provide some motivation! I think you can just barely pull it off. If you increase CTL 5 per week you're at 55 or so, which should be enough to make the DD bearable if you go easy.

My CTL plummeted over the winter due to all the snow here. I'm back at 50 though as the weather has warmed up the last few weeks. Still, I don't have much top end right now for the early season races.
Only 5pts a week? I thought I was supposed to pedal the bike during training :p

Barely pulling it off sounds boring. ;) The last 60 or so miles are either slightly down hill or are flat so you're more at the mercy of the open fields and the wind than anything else - perfect head down and smash it terrain... but I may be a bumbling idiot by that point, who knows. The lack of ace scenery may prove to be my mental undoing as long rides in recent years (120+ miles) have all been in the high mountains.

I took a looksie at the ride profile - only about 8,000ft of climbing and most of the climbs I used to do on a semi-regular basis so I know they're not too hard but I doubt I'll be hitting the first climb like I used to do in training - 50x17 and 19 at 320+ watts out the saddle. I think it's been a fair few years since I rode around Lake Berryessa and actually looked at anything other than the road and immediate surroundings.

swampy->Knew you would chime in and thanks. The film is from one of the producers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. His films have a good reputation for international especially USA so surprised this is such an issue for them. Thanks again.

But now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

swampy-> I remember how everyone would use the term muscle memory. You were very active so it should be that way for you. I am sure you can put in a worthwhile performance. For myself I am back to using the trainer as I did a couple weeks go with harder concentrated efforts and no more these longer than 2 hour variety. I do not see the results from them and I notice my power chart bars move in the wrong direction. I have been messing to much with the saddle though and today experiences a bit too much soreness at the end of the ride. Feel fine enough now but got me concerned initially. Need to move it back.

-js

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .
Only 5pts a week? I thought I was supposed to pedal the bike during training :p
??? I meant *increase* CTL by 5 per week (i.e., you do about 35 TSS more each week than the week before), which is considered about the fastest you should ramp up. I've gone a bit faster than that when at low CTL's and gotten away with it, but you'll be in a world of hurt by then if you keep it up.

You're probably better at 200 milers than I am. At CTL=55 a 200 miler would be pretty tough on me.

Originally Posted by Manweiser .

Forecast calls for mid-60s on Friday, and I'm getting cabin fever. I think tonight might be my last workout on the trainer. I can't wait to take the trainer tire off!
OMG!!! Congratulations!!! You survived the winter! Before you do anything, you should buy yourself a beer :)

Tomorrow is my last indoor workout before Spring training. There might be some more indoor workouts when I return, depending on what the weather gods send our way. However, the racing season is starting, so I am also declaring victory over winter. It's a great feeling!!!

Originally Posted by lanierb .

??? I meant *increase* CTL by 5 per week (i.e., you do about 35 TSS more each week than the week before), which is considered about the fastest you should ramp up. I've gone a bit faster than that when at low CTL's and gotten away with it, but you'll be in a world of hurt by then if you keep it up.

You're probably better at 200 milers than I am. At CTL=55 a 200 miler would be pretty tough on me.
I had a bit of enforced, unplanned rest, that allowed me to look at several years worth of training - and the one year that I fully devoted to PowerCranks... increasing CTL by only 5 per week was pretty rare after the first 8 weeks. Last year on the 'comparison year' (comparing to 2008) CTL did increase ~5. In 2009 on the PC's it'd be an understatement to say I was fecking flying such that I doubted my PT and was forever checking hillclimbs against Analytic Cycling and 2010 on the new hanky spanky techobikey regular cranky (Cannondale Hi-Mod "I wish I had this when racing - 40th birthday present") was all a bit blah. Ace bike for sure - but no spanky cranks, just "state of the art uber lightweight cost more than the crown jewels" fixed cranks.

I'm not really all that great at 200 milers - I just seem to sit and pedal and finish. To be honest, after 9 hours it's a case of 180 to 190 watts at altitude on the hills and on the flat it's more dependant on my level of interest in keeping it there. My downfall in the long rides that I've done, such as the Alta Alpina, is the mountainous terrain is just too interesting not to spend a bunch of time just looking at stuff so I find myself lollygagging along at 160 watts in the valley roads during the afternoon while I check stuff out. LOL. Just for a bit of a "face saver" - those valley roads are at ~6,000ft. :p Adjust FTP accordingly :p

I quick look back through the Training Peaks calendar gave me a laugh - Alta Alpina Challenge in 2009. TSS 524. Fun times...

Without the scenic "interest" I'm not sure how I'll fare over the last 50 miles of the Davis Double. A lot of my training is done these days on pan flat roads blasted by the Delta Breeze (breeze doesn't describe it - trees grow at an angle) so more of the same may just do my head in. LOL. I'll probably be thinking "just finish it already and give me a freakin' beer." Thankfully the finish is only 25 miles from home so it's only a 20 minute drive to frosty brew heaven. Sitting in Sudwerks brew house in 12 hour old sweaty cycling gear does seem like a worthy alternative....

I tend to go through a weird period between 6 and 8 hours on every long rides where I just slump yet after 8 to 9 hours I'm feeling good and ready to party again. I don't do enough rides of that length to nail down what is actually happening but in last years Alta Alpina, even with the barfing and reduced food intake, the same thing happened and on the final climb (Monitor Pass - the first 7.5miles climb 3000ft to ~8,000ft) I felt ace despite the fact that after I got home and weighed myself I'd lost 10lbs - after much food and fluids on the hundred and plenty mile drive home. I can't put the barfing down to silly food intake as I ate no more than 250Kcals per hour and it was all stuff that I normally eat in training.

swampy->Knew you would chime in and thanks. The film is from one of the producers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. His films have a good reputation for international especially USA so surprised this is such an issue for them. Thanks again.

But now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

swampy-> I remember how everyone would use the term muscle memory. You were very active so it should be that way for you. I am sure you can put in a worthwhile performance. For myself I am back to using the trainer as I did a couple weeks go with harder concentrated efforts and no more these longer than 2 hour variety. I do not see the results from them and I notice my power chart bars move in the wrong direction. I have been messing to much with the saddle though and today experiences a bit too much soreness at the end of the ride. Feel fine enough now but got me concerned initially. Need to move it back.

-js
Muscle memory... I remember when I was racing back in the day, I would be completely obsessive about saddle position but now I think that measuring to the n'th degree is just overkill - literally measuring to a milimeter.

That said, anything that leads to a saddle that's either too high or too far back would give me sore legs. Weak hamstings and hipflexors for the latter and too much stretch for the former. Too much of anything is never a good thing.

Originally Posted by CalicoCat .

OMG!!! Congratulations!!! You survived the winter! Before you do anything, you should buy yourself a beer :)

Tomorrow is my last indoor workout before Spring training. There might be some more indoor workouts when I return, depending on what the weather gods send our way. However, the racing season is starting, so I am also declaring victory over winter. It's a great feeling!!!
With UConn playing noon games through the Big East Tournament last week, I bought myself plenty of beers... Video streaming at work just doesn't cut it sometimes.

I imagine my group will be excited for Saturday's 80 mile route because the weather starts at 51 F and goes up to 82 F.
On last weekend's 80 miler I started in shorts and short sleeves at 39 F. They thought I was crazy, but I was actually feeling really good after about 10 minutes and later in the ride did not have my rear pockets stuffed like everyone else.

Saturday should be a very good cycling day for us.

Our Route for Saturday mostly small rolling with one short 2 mile climb that has some 15%+ sections. Pure sweetness

I just noticed the route linked was in 2008 and one of our riders hit a large dog, did an endo and cracked a few ribs. He rode back to the parking lot, about 20 miles, and I think with a lung that was punctured. That dude is one tough....... (blog entry for that ride in 2008) That was back when I was just starting to take cycling training more serious and before I got into training with a power meter.

swampy-> Ever so true! Youth is wasted on the young! If I knew half the stuff I know now just about cycling and had the equipment like I have now. It would have been a different story. Being a kid growing up in the inner city, cycling was not exactly high on the list for anyone. It was only after I became a messenger I started to really enjoy it. The best bike I had which I wish I still had just for the hell of it was a PUCH and I remember having no idea what I was doing.

-js

swampy-> Ever so true! Youth is wasted on the young! If I knew half the stuff I know now just about cycling and had the equipment like I have now. It would have been a different story. Being a kid growing up in the inner city, cycling was not exactly high on the list for anyone. It was only after I became a messenger I started to really enjoy it. The best bike I had which I wish I still had just for the hell of it was a PUCH and I remember having no idea what I was doing.

-js
Old bikes... I sometimes wish that I had my old Peugeot Robert Millar. I thought it was the dog's dangling parts back in the day and rode the snot out of it. It was relegated to winter bike duty after I got a Vitus but it served me well for the bulk of my training for about 4 years until the seat tube cracked just above the bottom bracket.

Felt,

The garmin connect looks pretty neat and that looks like it'll be a nice ride. Interesting that on the descent of the big hill that the heart rate doesn't drop too much - at least until after the descent has been completed. Is the descent really technical - one that turns into a game of 'chicken'? We used to do that all the time - bomb down hills and see who'd bottle it first. Like JS said "youth...." The feeling of invincibility is wasted on the young too. LOL

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .
Felt,

The garmin connect looks pretty neat and that looks like it'll be a nice ride. Interesting that on the descent of the big hill that the heart rate doesn't drop too much - at least until after the descent has been completed. Is the descent really technical - one that turns into a game of 'chicken'? We used to do that all the time - bomb down hills and see who'd bottle it first. Like JS said "youth...." The feeling of invincibility is wasted on the young too. LOL
The descent has some hard switchbacks, but it was my struggle going up on that particular day. I literally almost had a heat stoke. I remember that day clearly with the temps in the 90's. Sweat was streaming and then within a couple minutes my skin dried and I got cold chills. I got to the summit and my heart rate remained elevated on the descent. Plus my group dropped me, as usual, so I hammered trying to catch up.

That was a bad day. Did you see the link on the blog entry? There is a picture of me demoralized toward the end of the ride struggling to get up a small hill. Horrible at the time, but I find it humorous now. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Learned a lot and have trained a bunch since then.

Saturday will be interesting to see if there is a difference between now and when I did that ride in 2008, but with it being cooler this weekend it will not be a fair comparison.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

The descent has some hard switchbacks, but it was my struggle going up on that particular day. I literally almost had a heat stoke. I remember that day clearly with the temps in the 90's. Sweat was streaming and then within a couple minutes my skin dried and I got cold chills. I got to the summit and my heart rate remained elevated on the descent. Plus my group dropped me, as usual, so I hammered trying to catch up.

That was a bad day. Did you see the link on the blog entry? There is a picture of me demoralized toward the end of the ride struggling to get up a small hill. Horrible at the time, but I find it humorous now. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Learned a lot and have trained a bunch since then.

Saturday will be interesting to see if there is a difference between now and when I did that ride in 2008, but with it being cooler this weekend it will not be a fair comparison.
Hahahaha... that last pic. I can certainly relate to that. The head down "pose of doom." The pic next to it on the Cannondale shows that you had a great position on that bike. I've been getting a bit of a soft spot for the CAAD frames and I might have to get one to replace the current training bike.

If the temps you posted for this weekends ride actually happen then low to mid 80s could still be a shock to the system if you're used to riding 30 or so degrees cooler.

Typical. I finally get out on the bike for more than an hour today and feel somewhat OK and not like I've been kicked in the ribs... and then find out that from now until Monday there's a storm/flood watch in effect. Fantasic! With all the road resurfacing that's been going on around here I'm sure I can find a nice be oily patch of fresh asphalt that's as slippery as a greased up seal and have a good go at testing the structural integrity of my healing ribs. :)

Finishing up a long stretch of hard training, put in lots of miles and time on the trainer and I am feeling it, my L5 intervals were more like L4 intervals this morning. Taking the next day and a half off and then racing on Sunday. It is our 1st club race of the year, but I am guessing it will be one of the more difficult races, as it is a mass start of everyone in the club which consists of Cat 1s to Cat 5s. I am a touch worried about getting a calve cramp, I use to get them a lot and yesterday I could feel one lingering during my ride. Anyone have any good pre-race anti cramp tips? I have heard a roll-aid or other antacid before the race, but am not sure if it actually works.

bg->The roll-aid or antacid probably has to do with the magnesium in them as it is a bit of a muscle relaxer as epsom salts is mostly magnesium sulfate. Something that was recommended for me and worked was quinine. You can get it at a health store but they no longer sell 100% quinine tabs but partial. A good trick in a pinch is tonic water as it contains quinine also. I believe though your muscle cramps are probably just opening day jitters. Once you get off that line and a pack forms, your mind will be too busy for your legs to cramp up!

On a different note, what a beautiful morning finally in NYC! While it was an off day, loaded up I went into CP and just rode as it is an off day! Loving it! No ton of clothing and the snot rockets stopped. swampy I know what you mean about CAAD frames. I have been using the Cannondale CX frame and it is a CAAD frame. Just feels right. I love my Cervelo R3 but there is something about having an ali or steel frame under you. Carbon always feels a bit strange to me and will not get rid of my Lemond Poprad frame for that same reason.

swampy do not feel bad as we have potholes here in NYC that can swallow your bike whole!

-js

swampy do not feel bad as we have potholes here in NYC that can swallow your bike whole!

-js
The govenor of California is the patron saint of quality potholes.

You don't need road signs to tell you that you're now in California when doing long distance road trips in the car. The violent thud of your suspension complaining provides all the information that you need... ;)

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Finishing up a long stretch of hard training, put in lots of miles and time on the trainer and I am feeling it, my L5 intervals were more like L4 intervals this morning. Taking the next day and a half off and then racing on Sunday. It is our 1st club race of the year, but I am guessing it will be one of the more difficult races, as it is a mass start of everyone in the club which consists of Cat 1s to Cat 5s. I am a touch worried about getting a calve cramp, I use to get them a lot and yesterday I could feel one lingering during my ride. Anyone have any good pre-race anti cramp tips? I have heard a roll-aid or other antacid before the race, but am not sure if it actually works.
Hydrate well before your race - and that starts today. If you are dehydrated pre-race, you won't be able to overcome the deficit during the race even if you are drinking. Also, use a sports drink, as the electrolytes in them should help you with the cramping problem. The potatissium in a pre-race banana should also help! If you feel a calf cramp coming on during your race, try to sneak a moment to stretch your calf out by pushing your heel toward the ground. Then, when you start pedaling again, focus on not pointing your toes

bg->The roll-aid or antacid probably has to do with the magnesium in them as it is a bit of a muscle relaxer as epsom salts is mostly magnesium sulfate. Something that was recommended for me and worked was quinine. You can get it at a health store but they no longer sell 100% quinine tabs but partial. A good trick in a pinch is tonic water as it contains quinine also. I believe though your muscle cramps are probably just opening day jitters. Once you get off that line and a pack forms, your mind will be too busy for your legs to cramp up!

On a different note, what a beautiful morning finally in NYC! While it was an off day, loaded up I went into CP and just rode as it is an off day! Loving it! No ton of clothing and the snot rockets stopped. swampy I know what you mean about CAAD frames. I have been using the Cannondale CX frame and it is a CAAD frame. Just feels right. I love my Cervelo R3 but there is something about having an ali or steel frame under you. Carbon always feels a bit strange to me and will not get rid of my Lemond Poprad frame for that same reason.

-js
I wouldn't recommend quinine. This is actually a pretty dangerous drug with serious cardiac and other side-effects (including hallucinations). The FDA no longer approves its use for leg cramps and in fact only allows it to be prescribed as an antimalarial, because malaria itself is so deadly. However, with new, less dangerous antimalarial medications becoming available, I expect quinine to stop being prescribed at all. There are tiny amounts of quinine in tonic water - that is where the bitter taste comes from - and even those tiny amounts need to visibly disclosed on the front of tonic water labels. Bananas (or a potassium supplement) are a much healthier way to stave off muscle cramps.