Armstrong press conference cancer announcement

steve26

Apr 2, 2005
Here in the U.S. there is a commercial in heavy rotation of Lance Armstrong's press conference in October of 1996(i think that is the date) when he was diagnosed with cancer..

Why would he have had a press conference at this time prior to winning the Tour? I can guarantee you 99/100 Americans did not know who he was.....

Was he that well known at that time in the cycling world?

steve26 said:
Here in the U.S. there is a commercial in heavy rotation of Lance Armstrong's press conference in October of 1996(i think that is the date) when he was diagnosed with cancer..

Why would he have had a press conference at this time prior to winning the Tour? I can guarantee you 99/100 Americans did not know who he was.....

That commercial is for his new line of clothing, 10/2 which was the date of his diagnosis of Cancer.

steve26 said:

I knew who he was. I grew up in Sherman, Tx which is about 30 miles/50km north of Plano, Tx. I have followed LA his whole career. I am a year older than LA. I used to run Cross Country in high school. Although I never competed against him I did compete in the Dallas area quite a bit. He turned professional at 15 or 16 and was competing in Triathlons which is why he was not allowed to compete in any sporting events in High School. Once you accept a prize or prize money you lose your eligibilty. I think the 99/100 number might be a little exagerated. He was the #1 ranked cyclist in the U.S. at the time of his diagnosis of cancer.

I think that's the point - that 99/100 Americans didn't know who he was - athough I agree with bluetrain that number might be exaggerated.

After the press conference the number of people who knew who he was and that he had cancer multiplied several times. He was on Sportscenter in terms of his story and the fact that he had cancer. It wasn't a big deal in terms of coverage, but ESPN had a quick blurb about the conference with his pic up in the corner for like 10 seconds.

There's a show called 'ESPN Chronicles' and it had some old pieces from ESPN when he was interviewed in his teens about being a triathlete -all the way up to Jerermy Schapp's pieces about Lance getting 7 - anyway, they show the quick blurb from ESPN and it's pretty funny to see the immature, cocky Armstrong develop into a mature, cocky cyclist.

Now that Nike is showing the commercial and given his success and popularity in the US after winning 7 and the bracelets - it appears that the press conference was a bigger deal than it was. There are a lot of press conferences around the world that 99/100 Americans have no clue about. But when someone becomes successful, the past gets dug up - especially when it can be inspiring in hindsight.

Speaking of inspiring - it may be the combination of the music and the videography of the piece, but this has been my favorite cycling commercial to date - makes me want to ride my bike:

http://josiah.webmunkee.com/lancearmstrongnike.mov

thebluetrain said:
I knew who he was. I grew up in Sherman, Tx which is about 30 miles/50km north of Plano, Tx. I have followed LA his whole career. I am a year older than LA. I used to run Cross Country in high school. Although I never competed against him I did compete in the Dallas area quite a bit. He turned professional at 15 or 16 and was competing in Triathlons which is why he was not allowed to compete in any sporting events in High School. Once you accept a prize or prize money you lose your eligibilty. I think the 99/100 number might be a little exagerated. He was the #1 ranked cyclist in the U.S. at the time of his diagnosis of cancer.

Agree with all stated except he was ranked Number 1 in the World I think.
I think it was typical Lance and his handlers, he knew early on that a relationship with the media and press was important, little did he know how important. He had just signed with arguably the biggest and best team in the world Cofidis, who were willing to take Frankie and Kevin as part of the package. He was a big deal in cycling if not America. I find the press conference tapes really gripping and I'm glad he is doing it.
He says, for those who havent seen it "I have to commit myself and my time to my treatment, but I want everyone to know I plan on beating this disease, and returning one day to compete as a professional cyclist" through tears etc. Unbelievable.

steve26 said:

I wasn't at all involved with cycling in 1996, but I distinctly remember the announcements that Lance Armstrong had been diagnosed with cancer.

I'd like you to prove your guarantee that 99/100 Americans did not know who he was.:rolleyes:

As stated above, he was the #1 ranked US cyclist at the time and therefore was well known in the cycling world.

Well, it is one of the best commercials I have ever seen.

Even if you don't like him, it is a powerful commercial.

"For now, I must focus on my treatment. However, I want you all to know that I intend to beat this disease, and further, I intend to ride again as a professional cyclist."

Lance Armstrong Press Conference October 8th, 1996

steve26 said:

Dude... When Lance found out he had cancer he was already a Tour De France stage winner, a former world champion, and a medal hopeful at the 1996 olympics.

Although much of America had never heard of him, he was famous in the sport of cycling, in particular he was well known in Europe.

Many cyclists that I'm sure you have never heard of have held press conferences for one reason or another...

steve26 said:

Anytime you have a top athlete as young as Lance was that is only given a slight chance to live ,it is news.
We are morbid creatures, all in all.

This is what I object to.... $1 from every $100 pair of 10/2 trainers made in a sweat shop in Asia goes to cancer research.... this is blatant profiteering from an event which occurred nearly 10 years ago.... Nike makes money, Lance makes money and agreed some good does go to cancer research but $1 ! Come on ! It seems now in retirement Lance is going to cash in..... I'm sorry but I can’t digest this......

On the flip side Ullrich who was beaten and abused by his alcoholic father runs his charity in Germany for the same cause to help young children in the same position as he was.... no wristbands, no overpriced Nike clothing just goes on quietly and raises his money and does his work....... to me this brings new meaning to the phrase 'just do it'.

Before you all jump on me I have experienced cancer in my family and its a horrible, horriable disease and I have no problems in Lance helping suffers from this blood aliment but to sell Nike clothing making a 99% profit from it in the name of the disease makes me a little ill and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... I'm sorry this is how I feel..... its not and Armstrong v Ullrich thing I just think it stinks a little bit… sorry.

NYC said:
for anyone who hasn't seen it, there is a link to the press conference commercial here:
http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/main.html

whiteboytrash said:
I'm sorry but I can’t digest this......
Well then puke it up, take some Pepto, two aspirin, and call somebody who actually cares what spews forth from your lips.

Oh, have a great day! :)

whiteboytrash said:
This is what I object to.... $1 from every $100 pair of 10/2 trainers made in a sweat shop in Asia goes to cancer research.... this is blatant profiteering from an event which occurred nearly 10 years ago.... Nike makes money, Lance makes money and agreed some good does go to cancer research but $1 ! Come on ! It seems now in retirement Lance is going to cash in..... I'm sorry but I can’t digest this......

On the flip side Ullrich who was beaten and abused by his alcoholic father runs his charity in Germany for the same cause to help young children in the same position as he was.... no wristbands, no overpriced Nike clothing just goes on quietly and raises his money and does his work....... to me this brings new meaning to the phrase 'just do it'.

Before you all jump on me I have experienced cancer in my family and its a horrible, horriable disease and I have no problems in Lance helping suffers from this blood aliment but to sell Nike clothing making a 99% profit from it in the name of the disease makes me a little ill and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... I'm sorry this is how I feel..... its not and Armstrong v Ullrich thing I just think it stinks a little bit… sorry.

I can see people jumping on you for your comments but I think they are warranted.

I sincerely believe that Lance wants his legacy to be the LAF and raising RAPE - nice acronym - Research, Awareness, Prevention & Education. Lance is the reaon why over $50,000,000 has been donated.

But I agree with the NIKE aspect although where would you draw the line in terms of charity? The fact is they're taking in a great deal more in terms of revenue because of "exploiting" cancer research - and their profit margins are huge because of their employment policies/ productions overseas.

You can both commend and criticize NIKE and not neccessarily be wrong, but they know this is a profitable relationship and if it wasn't - they wouldn't be doing it.

hombredesubaru said:
Agree with all stated except he was ranked Number 1 in the World I think...
Lance was top ten in the UCI World Rankings, but definitely not number 1 in the world (though he was definitely number 1 among US riders):

[size=+2]Final UCI Rankings for 1996 [/size]
[size=+2]1 Laurent Jalabert (Fra) ONC 2005.00 2 Alex Zulle (Sch) ONC 1963.00 3 Bjarne Riis (Den) TEL 1565.00 4 Johan Museeuw (Bel) MAP 1511.00 5 Michele Bartoli (Ita) MAG 1493.00 6 Abraham Olano (Spa) MAP 1391.00 7 Richard Virenque (Fra) FES 1369.00 8 Toni Rominger (Sch) MAP 1342.00 9 Lance Armstrong (Usa) MOT 1315.00 10 Fra, Casagrande (Ita) SAE 1287.00 [/size]

[size=+2]He won the Tour du Pont for the 3rd time in dominating fashion, finished 2nd in Paris Nice, dropped out of the Tour (maybe from feeling the onset of the cancer) and finished fourth in the Atlanta Olympic race (even though he may already have been affected by the cancer). I remember the announcement well and it was big news just because a young world-class athlete was struck with cancer. It didn't really matter whether people instantly recognized his name.

[/size]

I see the wristbands as fine... Nike paid for the production and advertising of them and ALL money was donated to LAF... it was a win win.... people came into Nike stores to purchase the wristband and their logo appeared on the band.... but to sell cycling jersey's and Nike Shoes in the 10/2 range and make the statement that $1 from every sale goes to LAF is a little condescending considering they cost $100 a piece in addition to Nike’s policy of making its goods in countries where labour is very very very very very cheap ! But like you say what price can you put on awareness ?

segamartinez said:
I can see people jumping on you for your comments but I think they are warranted.

I sincerely believe that Lance wants his legacy to be the LAF and raising RAPE - nice acronym - Research, Awareness, Prevention & Education. Lance is the reaon why over $50,000,000 has been donated.

But I agree with the NIKE aspect although where would you draw the line in terms of charity? The fact is they're taking in a great deal more in terms of revenue because of "exploiting" cancer research - and their profit margins are huge because of their employment policies/ productions overseas.

You can both commend and criticize NIKE and not neccessarily be wrong, but they know this is a profitable relationship and if it wasn't - they wouldn't be doing it.

BobHWS said:
Lance was top ten in the UCI World Rankings, but definitely not number 1 in the world (though he was definitely number 1 among US riders):

[size=+2]Final UCI Rankings for 1996 [/size]
[size=+2]1 Laurent Jalabert (Fra) ONC 2005.00 2 Alex Zulle (Sch) ONC 1963.00 3 Bjarne Riis (Den) TEL 1565.00 4 Johan Museeuw (Bel) MAP 1511.00 5 Michele Bartoli (Ita) MAG 1493.00 6 Abraham Olano (Spa) MAP 1391.00 7 Richard Virenque (Fra) FES 1369.00 8 Toni Rominger (Sch) MAP 1342.00 9 Lance Armstrong (Usa) MOT 1315.00 10 Fra, Casagrande (Ita) SAE 1287.00 [/size]

[size=+2]He won the Tour du Pont for the 3rd time in dominating fashion, finished 2nd in Paris Nice, dropped out of the Tour (maybe from feeling the onset of the cancer) and finished fourth in the Atlanta Olympic race (even though he may already have been affected by the cancer). I remember the announcement well and it was big news just because a young world-class athlete was struck with cancer. It didn't really matter whether people instantly recognized his name.

[/size]

Agreed since you have the facts. At SOME point around the signing of Lance at Cofidis he was ranked number 1, or so I've read, but any rate, he was far bigger than number 1 in the US. He was the real deal even before he got serious and actually trained consistently. Hard to imagine eh?

whiteboytrash said:

I agree. It is distasteful to say the least. It's also extremely cynical, the guy makes a ton of money out of his misfortune. I think Magic Johnson (a much bigger name than Lance) did (and as far as I know still does) a lot of work promoting AIDS awareness but I don't remember seeing him getting rich(er) in the process... Out of the 100$ that the pair costs how much money end up in Lance's pockets and how much in Nike's coffers? More than a dollar perhaps?
As for Nike... "Just do it"... Do what you morons? Survive cancer? It's not exactly the flu... Has anyone thought how many people die for every Lance? Has anyone thought the feelings of a terminally ill cancer patient after watching that ad? "Just do it"... Just die...
The things big corporations will do for money... And I bet there are quite a few of you that will go happily and buy a few 10//2 items "touched" by the power of advertising...

What I don't understand is why you guys are trying to hold that product line to a hgiher standard than others. How much money from all the other shoe sales goes to a charitable cause? If someone wanted to donate money to a good cause, they would just donate it, not buy a pair of shoes. If some sheeple are too dense to understand that the $1 donation is a small fraction of the total cost of product, then that's their own fault. I think that it's a good thing because ultimately it will generate additional funds for people in need.