AVG. Speed?

GucciPucci

Jul 24, 2005
I don't know if there's a thread on this already, BUT...

What's your average speed on flats?
Speed on Hills?
Downhills?
What's your age?

I'm just wondering... to see if I'm doing alright for having just started cycling less then two weeks ago.

I do about 25 average on flats. 19 on hills and... down hills can vary.
I'm also 18.. and as I said, fairly new to cycling. Thanks!

GucciPucci said:
I don't know if there's a thread on this already, BUT...

What's your average speed on flats?
Speed on Hills?
Downhills?
What's your age?

I'm just wondering... to see if I'm doing alright for having just started cycling less then two weeks ago.

I do about 25 average on flats. 19 on hills and... down hills can vary.
I'm also 18.. and as I said, fairly new to cycling. Thanks!
thats pretty fast by my standards! im 18 aswell, an average speed over a whole ride for me is about 16/17 mph. are you talking kph or mph? coz 19mph up a hill to me sounds really fast! (unless its a really small hill)

downhill speeds depend on the how steep and how long the hill is, how many curves there are, and how brave you are!

Mph. Atleast, that's what my computer displays... or I'm pretty sure it does.
But yeah.. speed down hills is all about bravery. And I love speed... so I just close my eyes. :p Kidding...

How far are you riding? The computer's wrong or you need to quit school/job and spend all your time training and become a pro if we're talking about average speed of 25mph for an entire ride.

I'm already out of school. And my rides really aren't that long... only about 40 miles. But that's two rides a day. It's not that fast if you make the average up down hills and on flats... mreh. It's not very fast.

Im at 24.8mph average for a 40mile TT and thats on a road with some serious hills and Im 15.

"Im at 24.8mph average for a 40mile TT and thats on a road with some serious hills and Im 15."
That's pretty quick, but it's a tt, do you average that much on a normal training ride?

GucciPucci said:
I'm already out of school. And my rides really aren't that long... only about 40 miles. But that's two rides a day. It's not that fast if you make the average up down hills and on flats... mreh. It's not very fast.
25 is very fast. Unless you're riding with a group. Talk to other riders in you're area, very few of them will average that on a normal solo ride. Do you race at all? What do you have in you're cycle computer for wheel size?

Yeah, an average of 25mph is insanely fast for a solo effort. It usually takes a group of us turns in the front to average 25mph. We usually ride anywhere between 30-80 miles a day and it is very tough to even come close to averaging 25. I average closer to 22. And 19 on hills?! I usually get dropped on climbs, BUT I'm also a proud owner of a 40+mph sprint! ;) You should definitely stick to cycling if your numbers are acurate. They are very impressive.

So yeah.. I feel pretty stupid. I fixed my computer. My FIXED COMPUTER read that my average is around 20 (Does THAT sound right?). Probably a ton slower on hills. I guess person who adjusted my computer didn't really know how to adjust them and did it wrong... I just proframmed the cm. of my tire into my computer, well, before my ride... and yeah. Sorry.

I guess it's good for being new, though. Right?

GucciPucci said:
So yeah.. I feel pretty stupid. I fixed my computer. My FIXED COMPUTER read that my average is around 20 (Does THAT sound right?). Probably a ton slower on hills. I guess person who adjusted my computer didn't really know how to adjust them and did it wrong... I just proframmed the cm. of my tire into my computer, well, before my ride... and yeah. Sorry.

yea, that seems more like it.......i was reading this and thought you were God. 20 mph average on flats is about a Cat 4/5 level. It will depend on how good of a climber you are and what type of racing you are wanting to do.

GucciPucci said:

20 is very good but believable for a begginer. And everyone goes a ton slower on hills, that's cool. And yeah, I've done the same thing with my computer. Wondered why I was going 30mph up a hill.

no, on most rides I do about 22-23mph now
*just got new bike shoes Im up 1mph on rides now, its proably all mental but its still 1mph

whoawhoa said:
20 is very good but believable for a begginer. And everyone goes a ton slower on hills, that's cool. And yeah, I've done the same thing with my computer. Wondered why I was going 30mph up a hill.
Haha.. sweet. That makes me feel a lot better! Now it's off to convert the Klm to Mph so I can read it as I ride. Instead of converting it when I get home.

I can average by myself for a TT of 15kms around 37-38 km/hr, though thats with no aeroobars. I tend to average around 31/32 km/hr, and with another rider can average around 35 km/hr for 200km. I'm much more of a climber, when i reach them i can always go faster usually around 34 km/hr depending on length. Long steeep ones i'll probably average something in the low 20's.

faye04_27 said:
19 on hills! Well blow me down with a feather! :eek: Im obviously lacking something :rolleyes:
I'm pretty new to cycling. I average 16-17 mph on flats, 10 mph on hills, and 20+ mph on downhills, depending of course on the gradient.

I average about 132.65 mph on my unicycle going up the side of a mountain on unpaved, rocky roads, and I am only 7 years old. Beat that!!!:) :) :)

whoawhoa said:
"Im at 24.8mph average for a 40mile TT and thats on a road with some serious hills and Im 15."
That's pretty quick, but it's a tt, do you average that much on a normal training ride?

25 is very fast. Unless you're riding with a group. Talk to other riders in you're area, very few of them will average that on a normal solo ride. Do you race at all? What do you have in you're cycle computer for wheel size?

silent926 said:
Indy dont be silly, the only man who can do that is Chuck Norris.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I take it you are a fan of the chuck norris jokes aswell :D