AVG. Speed?

I avg. on flats 19/20, down hills fastest was 46, up hill avg. 8 or 9 mph. Solid_average_not impressive hhaha

I'm 15 and I got started a couple of months ago, I can adverage 21 pushing very hard

ChangMan said:
Yeah, an average of 25mph is insanely fast for a solo effort. It usually takes a group of us turns in the front to average 25mph. We usually ride anywhere between 30-80 miles a day and it is very tough to even come close to averaging 25. I average closer to 22. And 19 on hills?! I usually get dropped on climbs, BUT I'm also a proud owner of a 40+mph sprint! ;) You should definitely stick to cycling if your numbers are acurate. They are very impressive.
Me and a friend back here in the UK did a 40 mile trip last week, and managed an average speed of 22mph, and a maximum of 42.1, and 40.5, respectively.

we're both 16, and did only a week's training beforehand

On my last ride I did a little over 50 miles and averaged about 11 MPH up hills, up to 35 MPH on downhills and 18-20 MPH on flats and I think it leveled out in the middle for overal speed because I live in a nice and rolling area. Great for training both climbing and sprints.

I can average 20+ mph on the flats, on the decents my fastest was 52 mph, Catholic Knob is a beast. Im weakest on hills, especially with an ancient steel bike.

question then for all of you w/ 20+ averages..... are these rides you all do with or without stop lights? cause I can average 21mph easy on my rollers or on a stretch, but the lights kill the average, bringing it down to 18 or 19mph....but man, w/ my group we get going to 30+ a lot of the times... uphill i can keep 18-20 unless it's HUGE, then it's like 14/15... lol... one time i looked at my average and it was 62! though max was like 26 or so... who knows how that happened...

I've been riding for 5 months now and I've been able to move from a development group ride all the way to being able to "hammer it out w/ the guys" ... i'm a girl if that helps.... its fun to beat all the other women!

Avg speed isn't a good indicator of how strong you are. Tailwind, headwind and busted speedometers always mess you up.

Do a TT in the Cat 4s or 3s that is always a good indicator.

On my own I can average 27 1/2 mph for about 20 minutes. At labitabi we averaged like 30 mph but it wasn't that hard in the pack though.

For a first timer though 25 mph is smoking fast. You probably weren’t going that fast. I have plenty of friends that said that too but it was just there speedometer.

How are you getting these average speeds? Are you just watching your speed and aproximating you average or are you really looking at your speedometer actual average. Because your actual average is going to be alot slower than your guessed average speed rang, especialy if you count stoping a red light and stop sings. During the summer I do this race simmulation traing ride of about 30 miles. I has a sprint finish and is done buy abunch of cat 3 guys. The highest I ever saw us average for the trip was 22.7mph. 2 red lights and 6 stop signs to slow down for. But we could reach 32mph on the flats a times.

Typically, I don't average more than about 18 mph on a typical, slightly hilly ride with a combo of warmup, hard riding, and cool-down, but if I am already warmed up, it's not unheard of to average 20+. This is on an average ride of about 45 miles. My fastest 40km. tt was at 57:42, so it's like 26ish mph. It was the top time for Cat. 1 of that race, but on the same course, that time was beaten twice (55:10- wow- and 57:03), so it is not the fastest. With a group, 30+ is actually not that hard on flat roads.

on the flats depends how long the ride is. my evening trainign ride i do 40km, at about 30km/h. climbing i spin about 18-20km/h. depends if im going to be shagged out or not at the top. in a race, if i can get in a bunch i sit on about 35-40.

GucciPucci said:
I don't know if there's a thread on this already, BUT...

What's your average speed on flats?
Speed on Hills?
Downhills?
What's your age?

I'm just wondering... to see if I'm doing alright for having just started cycling less then two weeks ago.

I do about 25 average on flats. 19 on hills and... down hills can vary.
I'm also 18.. and as I said, fairly new to cycling. Thanks!
I have a single speed BMX and i average 16 on flats, 13 on hills and probably around 25 downhill, pushing myself pretty hard i can do around 20-21

albinorhino103 said:
I have a single speed BMX and i average 16 on flats, 13 on hills and probably around 25 downhill, pushing myself pretty hard i can do around 20-21
yall kids are learnin the fish stories early....

im 25 (i think im grouped in with next generation, i dont know?) 225 pounds (a lil heavy), and can average on a 16 mile ride 15.5 mph with varying wind direction, and lots of hills, on top of roughly paved roads (not bumps, just rough pavement). now, if i had a windless stretch of flat road, i could easily average 19mph maybe more. but i ride for fun and exercise. i know i can average 13 mph on flat packed offroad for hours on end with my mtb :) just dont throw in too many crazy bends or hills ;)

You guys all make me feel fat and slow. Flat lands I average around 13mph. I'm 17, man. I really need to work harder to keep up with you all. :eek:

I can average around 35km/h on the flat-> 20km/h uphill-> and 55-75km/h downhill depending on length and gradient. Oh and I'm 14 still havnt started racing
:(

the last time the weather allowed for a nice long ride i did 60mi with an avg of 27mph. solo , 18yo

but i was hella wiped

When you install your cyclo-computer, should your circumference of your wheel that is set in the actual computer be the circumference that the magnet follows or of the actual wheel?

H2Row said:
When you install your cyclo-computer, should your circumference of your wheel that is set in the actual computer be the circumference that the magnet follows or of the actual wheel?
actual wheel