Top Speed Down Hill's

I no longer keep track of my top down hill speeds. I have learned that there is more gains in your average speed concentrating on getting up those hills quicker. Also after a few close calls over 40 MPH down hill I take into consideration stopping distance.

davereo said:
I no longer keep track of my top down hill speeds. I have learned that there is more gains in your average speed concentrating on getting up those hills quicker. Also after a few close calls over 40 MPH down hill I take into consideration stopping distance.

Average speed is something else. Goin' downhill fast is the goal, here.

Just over 53mph out in the Manayunk/Valley Forge area of Pennsylvania on a training ride. The hills out there are absolutely insane as far as steepness goes. Fastest in a race was right around 51mph on a long downhill.

Twice I've gone 41mph or 42mph on 2/3 of a mile stretches of roadway. One a mile near my house and the other on the ramp s/b US 395 into Carson City. On the road FROM my house, I travel 35mph on my way in to work every day. I'd probably be able to go faster, but the road curves several times limiting speed. This is also around a .6 of a mile stretch.
I ride a 35# recumbent with panniers and stuff usually, so I'm lugging a good 40# of extra weight probably.