Bus lane markings - new rules (?)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pmailkeey, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    I've heard from BCC's cycling officer that bike symbols on bus lanes are no longer allowed - and
    I've seen them disappearing in Brum.

    The signs still show bikes, and the rules of use haven't changed - just the marks on the ground.

    FYI
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

    Tags:

  2. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in news:403df384.12201258
    @news.swinternet.net:

    > The signs still show bikes, and the rules of use haven't changed - just the marks on the ground.

    Hopefully that will cut down on the shouts of "Oi, get back in the bus lane where you belong!" Doubt
    it though :-(

    Graeme

  3. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Perhaps the bike symbols are too expensive to put onto the tarmac :D

  4. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

    > Perhaps the bike symbols are too expensive to put onto the tarmac :D

    Yeah, but they don't have to draw a top of the range Bianchi on the road, do they? One of them
    pretend mountain bikes that toy shops sell for less than a hundred quid would be fine, wouldn't it?

    --
    Rob

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Robert Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
    >
    > > Perhaps the bike symbols are too expensive to put onto the tarmac :D
    >
    > Yeah, but they don't have to draw a top of the range Bianchi on the road,
    do
    > they? One of them pretend mountain bikes that toy shops sell for less than
    > hundred quid would be fine, wouldn't it?

    Its perhaps those radical zero spoked wheels.

  6. Robert Bruce wrote:

    > mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
    >
    >> Perhaps the bike symbols are too expensive to put onto the tarmac :D
    >
    > Yeah, but they don't have to draw a top of the range Bianchi on the road, do they? One of them
    > pretend mountain bikes that toy shops sell for less than a hundred quid would be fine,
    > wouldn't it?

    People keep stealing the bike symbols and selling them on eBay...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    pmailkeey wrote:
    > I've heard from BCC's cycling officer that bike symbols on bus lanes are no longer allowed - and
    > I've seen them disappearing in Brum.
    >
    > The signs still show bikes, and the rules of use haven't changed - just the marks on the ground.

    Probably someone did a risk analysis and decided their was too high a risk of running over people
    trying to emulate that railway poster ;-)

    Tony

  8. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    I heard that it was a result of someone from the politically correct lobby that got them removed, apparently the frame geometry was too male specific, and until a suitably gender-neutral design could be agreed upon, they all have to go :mad:

  9. Rg

    Rg Guest

    > pmailkeey wrote:
    > > I've heard from BCC's cycling officer that bike symbols on bus lanes are no longer allowed - and
    > > I've seen them disappearing in Brum.
    > >
    > > The signs still show bikes, and the rules of use haven't changed - just the marks on the ground.
    > >

    > Probably someone did a risk analysis and decided their was too high a risk
    of
    > running over people trying to emulate that railway poster ;-)
    >
    > Tony

    From a friend who is an LA Cycling Officer .... it is probably a combination of a) saving the
    expense of painting the cycle symbols and b) an effort to reduce the amount of paint on the road
    which becomes potentially tricky for cyclists when it's wet (remember Ulrich skidding and
    falling off in the final TT in last year's TdeF ? - as the Fosters ad says "Jeez, that'll hurt
    in the morning"

    In reality, why do we need the symbols painted on the tarmac ? - the post mounted signs give the
    permission and the car users (should) know to keep off.

    Rob

  10. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:mUF%[email protected]...
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    > > pmailkeey wrote: Probably someone did a risk analysis and decided
    their
    > > was too high a risk of running over people trying to emulate that railway poster ;-)
    >

    > I heard that it was a result of someone from the politically correct lobby that got them removed,
    > apparently the frame geometry was too male specific, and until a suitably gender-neutral design
    > could be agreed upon, they all have to go :mad:

    Don't go there .... before you know it you'll get somebody demanding a recumbent symbol .... ;-)

    RG

  11. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    McBain_v1 wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    > > pmailkeey wrote: Probably someone did a risk analysis and decided
    > their > was too high a risk of running over people trying to emulate that > railway poster ;-)
    >

    > I heard that it was a result of someone from the politically correct lobby that got them removed,
    > apparently the frame geometry was too male specific, and until a suitably gender-neutral design
    > could be agreed upon, they all have to go :mad:

    Thats what I was thinking too. I heard about womens groups complaining about these markings years
    ago, even going so far as painting over the top tube.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  12. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Yeah, but here in the UK where it routinely pi$$es it down we are used to slippery thermoplastic road paint. And as for drivers knowing they are not supposed to drive on or hog the cycle lanes - I wish. If there are symbols on the road it gives me more justification for yelling at them when they occupy all the cycle lane at traffic lights.

    And as for the politically correct cycle-lane symbol - I'll have to suggest it to my sister (graphic designer) and see what she can come up with. Apparently there have also been complaints from the "left-handed-anti-discrimination-lobby" who are worried that the bike symbol is always pointing to the right!

    Maybe the new bike symbol should just be a wheel shape? ;)

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    McBain_v1 wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    > > pmailkeey wrote: Probably someone did a risk analysis and decided their was too high a risk of
    > > running over people trying to emulate that railway poster ;-)
    >

    > I heard that it was a result of someone from the politically correct lobby that got them removed,
    > apparently the frame geometry was too male specific, and until a suitably gender-neutral design
    > could be agreed upon, they all have to go :mad:

    Or maybe someone from rbt that complained they couldn't argue over whether it was standing or
    hanging from its spokes since it had none ;-)

    Tony

  14. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>typed

    > Robert Bruce wrote:

    > > mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
    > >
    > >> Perhaps the bike symbols are too expensive to put onto the tarmac :D
    > >
    > > Yeah, but they don't have to draw a top of the range Bianchi on the road, do they? One of them
    > > pretend mountain bikes that toy shops sell for less than a hundred quid would be fine,
    > > wouldn't it?

    > People keep stealing the bike symbols and selling them on eBay...

    Wot? Like that village called 'Lost' in Aberdeenshire which is being renamed because people keep
    nicking direction signposts?

  15. Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > Wot? Like that village called 'Lost' in Aberdeenshire which is being renamed because people keep
    > nicking direction signposts?

    Nooooo. There was a photo of one of the painted bikes with a bloke lying on the deck pretending to
    ride it. Shortly afterwards it appeared on eBay -
    http://www.velovision.co.uk/storyimages/2003/ebayspoof.jpg

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    There's someone on the Road Bike Review forum threads who uses that picture as his avatar.

    PS.
    Fixed your links larry ;)

  17. "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Thats what I was thinking too. I heard about
    womens groups complaining ) about these markings years ago, even going so far as painting over
    the top ( tube.

    Oxford went to the trouble of painting out every second cross-bar on the tarmac a few years ago,
    but only used the symbol with a cross-bar on the signs. I think they are only painting new
    symbols with a cross-bar these days, though a lot of the bike lanes on the roads get resurfaced
    without surfacing over the markings (which are consequently sunken below the surface).

  18. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:0MG%[email protected]...
    > Rg wrote:
    > > From a friend who is an LA Cycling Officer .... it is probably a combination of a) saving the
    > > expense of painting the cycle symbols and
    > > b) an effort to reduce the amount of paint on the road which becomes potentially tricky for
    > > cyclists when it's wet (remember Ulrich
    skidding
    > > and falling off in the final TT in last year's TdeF ? - as the Fosters ad says "Jeez, that'll
    > > hurt in the morning" In reality, why do we need the symbols painted on the tarmac ? - the post
    > > mounted signs give the permission and the car users (should) know to keep off. Rob
    >

    > Yeah, but here in the UK where it routinely pi$$es it down we are used

    Got yourself confused here LA = Local Authority and NOT Los Angeles (at least that's what I'm
    assuming caused you to refer to "here in the UK" )

    Rob

    > to slippery thermoplastic road paint. And as for drivers knowing they are not supposed to drive on
    > or hog the cycle lanes - I wish. If there are symbols on the road it gives me more justification
    > for yelling at them when they occupy all the cycle lane at traffic lights.
    >
    > And as for the politically correct cycle-lane symbol - I'll have to suggest it to my sister
    > (graphic designer) and see what she can come up with. Apparently there have also been complaints
    > from the
    "left-handed-anti-discrimination-
    > lobby" who are worried that the bike symbol is always pointing to the right!
    >
    > Maybe the new bike symbol should just be a wheel shape? ;)

  19. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004

    Oops! Apologies - there was me thinking you were enjoying the sun :eek:

  20. Mark

    Mark Guest

    pmailkeey wrote:
    > I've heard from BCC's cycling officer that bike symbols on bus lanes are no longer allowed - and
    > I've seen them disappearing in Brum.

    Too many being sold on e-bay?
    --
    Mark

    After thinking long about a signature I've decided not to bother.