Bus lane markings - new rules (?)

In article <[email protected]>, Robert
Bruce <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yeah, but they don't have to draw a top of the range Bianchi on the road, do they? One of them
> pretend mountain bikes that toy shops sell for less than a hundred quid would be fine,
> wouldn't it?

I thought that they got a cheap and cheerful bike and ironed it on :)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.millport.net

in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>typed
>
>> Robert Bruce wrote:
>
>> > mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

>> > Yeah, but they don't have to draw a top of the range Bianchi on the road, do they? One of them
>> > pretend mountain bikes that toy shops sell for less than a hundred quid would be fine,
>> > wouldn't it?
>
>> People keep stealing the bike symbols and selling them on eBay...
>
> Wot? Like that village called 'Lost' in Aberdeenshire which is being renamed because people keep
> nicking direction signposts?

Yes, that seems to me a very poor reason for renaming a place. However, more seriously, the little
black skull-and-crossbones sign at the top of Dalbeattie Slab keeps going missing (it was gone again
when I was up there on Saturday), and it's bloody frightening to think of someone heading off down
there without realising that this part of the track is just a teensie wee bit trickier than most...

People who steal signs are vermin. Although I can't help thinking (and I've suggested to the
Forestry Commission) that selling copies of the sign (and other notable 'black section' signs) as
souvenirs might be a profitable sideline.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:30:52 GMT, McBain_v1
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Rg wrote: ) > From a friend who is an LA Cycling Officer .... it is probably a ) > combination of
:a) saving the expense of painting the cycle symbols and ) > b) an effort to reduce the amount of
:paint on the road which becomes ) > potentially tricky for cyclists when it's wet (remember Ulrich
:skidding ) > and falling off in the final TT in last year's TdeF ? - as the Fosters ) > ad says
:"Jeez, that'll hurt in the morning" ) > In reality, why do we need the symbols painted on the
:tarmac ? - the ) > post mounted signs give the permission and the car users (should) know ) > to
:keep off. ) > Rob ) ) ) )Yeah, but here in the UK where it routinely pi$$es it down we are used )to
:slippery thermoplastic road paint. And as for drivers knowing they )are not supposed to drive on or
:hog the cycle lanes - I wish. If there )are symbols on the road it gives me more justification for
:yelling at )them when they occupy all the cycle lane at traffic lights. ) )And as for the
:politically correct cycle-lane symbol - I'll have to )suggest it to my sister (graphic designer)
:and see what she can come )up with. Apparently there have also been complaints from the "left-handed-anti-discrimination-
:)lobby" who are worried that the bike symbol is always pointing to )the right! ) )Maybe the new
:bike symbol should just be a wheel shape? ;) ) )

What's wrong with changing "BUS LANE" into BUS & CYCLE LANE" ? And doing away with gender-
risky images ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:51:24 GMT, McBain_v1
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) ) )There's someone on the Road Bike Review forum threads who uses that )picture as his avatar. )

So what's an avatar ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:24:59 +0000 (UTC), "RG"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message )news:[email protected]
:berlin.de... )> pmailkeey wrote: )> > I've heard from BCC's cycling officer that bike symbols on
:bus lanes )> > are no longer allowed - and I've seen them disappearing in Brum. )> > )> > The signs
:still show bikes, and the rules of use haven't changed - )> > just the marks on the ground. )> > )>
:)> Probably someone did a risk analysis and decided their was too high a risk )of )> running over
:people trying to emulate that railway poster ;-) )> )> Tony )> )> ) )From a friend who is an LA
:Cycling Officer .... it is probably a combination )of a) saving the expense of painting the cycle
:symbols and b) an effort )to reduce the amount of paint on the road which becomes potentially
:tricky )for cyclists when it's wet (remember Ulrich skidding and falling off in the )final TT in
:last year's TdeF ? - as the Fosters ad says "Jeez, that'll hurt )in the morning" ) )In reality, why
:do we need the symbols painted on the tarmac ? - the post )mounted signs give the permission and
:the car users (should) know to keep )off. ) )Rob ) )

Push Bikes suggested it's a pre-step to allowing some cars in bus lanes (without having car pics on
the tarmac !)
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:54:38 -0000, "MSeries"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)McBain_v1 wrote: )> Tony Raven wrote: )> > pmailkeey wrote: Probably someone did a risk analysis
:and decided )> their > was too high a risk of running over people trying to )> emulate that >
:railway poster ;-) )> )> )> )> I heard that it was a result of someone from the politically correct
:)> lobby that got them removed, apparently the frame geometry was too )> male specific, and until a
:suitably gender-neutral design could be )> agreed )> upon, they all have to go :mad: ) )Thats what
:I was thinking too. I heard about womens groups complaining )about these markings years ago, even
:going so far as painting over the top )tube. )

But the symbol on the signs won't be altering !

Anyway, it shows the stupidity of women - it's obvious they can ride normal bikes so what's
the fuss ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

Never mind upright-ist - painting them always with white paint upsets the ethnic minorities. That's
the real problem ;)
--
Comm again, Mike.

[email protected] (pmailkeey)typed

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:51:24 GMT, McBain_v1 <[email protected]> wrote:

> :) ) )There's someone on the Road Bike Review forum threads who uses that )picture as his
> :avatar. )

> So what's an avatar ?

Long wheelbase recumbent from the 1980s IIRC...

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:02:44 GMT someone who may be
[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote this:-

>:)Thats what I was thinking too. I heard about womens groups complaining )about these markings
>:years ago, even going so far as painting over the top )tube.
>
>Anyway, it shows the stupidity of women - it's obvious they can ride normal bikes so what's
>the fuss ?

The media stereotype of members of women's groups is someone in dungarees with a "butch" haircut.
They would presumably be happy riding a "normal" bike. Doing so would presumably be a step in
liberating women from evil male oppression, so I find the story strange.

Personally I think that people should ride bikes that suit them and the tasks they are doing, rather
than being encouraged to use diamond framed bikes all the time. I'm all for people cycling in
"normal" clothes for going to the theatre and so on. A skirt either needs to be fairly long and very
loose, or very short, to ride a diamond framed bike in.

Originally posted by David Hansen
I'm all for people cycling in "normal" clothes for going to the theatre and so on. A skirt either needs to be fairly long and very loose, or very short, to ride a diamond framed bike in.

I find it worrying that you seem to know which skirts are okay to ride a diamond frame bike in. Are you called "Davina" at the weekend or something ;)

Complaints from women's groups will never go away, it is all our fault for being such a bunch of peni$-weilding male oppressors :D

[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:51:24 GMT, McBain_v1 <[email protected]> wrote:

> :)There's someone on the Road Bike Review forum threads who uses that )picture as his avatar. )
>
> So what's an avatar ?

It's the human or animal incarnation of a Hindu deity. In this context it's an image used to
represent the poster on the forum.

--
Dave...

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (pmailkeey)typed
>

> > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:51:24 GMT, McBain_v1 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > :) ) )There's someone on the Road Bike Review forum threads who uses that )picture as his
> > :avatar. )
>
> > So what's an avatar ?
>
> Long wheelbase recumbent from the 1980s IIRC...

Damn! I wish I'd said that.

(You will, Oscar, you will.)

--
Dave...

David Hansen wrote:
> A skirt either needs to be fairly long and very loose, or very short, to ride a diamond framed
> bike in.
^^^^^^^^^^ And what's wrong with that?

James

Graeme <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> >> So what's an avatar ?
> >
> > Long wheelbase recumbent from the 1980s IIRC...
> >

> The Avatar 2000 (scary picture at http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/mags/BMMay82_01.htm) was
> the first recumbent I ever saw a picture of, back in about 1981 in the magazine "Science Now" (I
> think). I've been wanting a recumbent ever since!

I saw a *real* on, with its owner on a train in the early '80s. I was a poor student at the time but
was envious. It was a beauty! Had a chat with the owner...

ISTR a feature on it in 'Bicycle' magazine.

[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:30:52 GMT, McBain_v1 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)Rg wrote: ) > From a friend who is an LA Cycling Officer .... it is probably a ) > combination
> :eek:f a) saving the expense of painting the cycle symbols and ) > b) an effort to reduce the amount
> :eek:f paint on the road which becomes ) > potentially tricky for cyclists when it's wet (remember
> :Ulrich skidding ) > and falling off in the final TT in last year's TdeF ? - as the Fosters ) > ad
> :says "Jeez, that'll hurt in the morning" ) > In reality, why do we need the symbols painted on
> :the tarmac ? - the ) > post mounted signs give the permission and the car users (should) know ) >
> :to keep off. ) > Rob ) ) ) )Yeah, but here in the UK where it routinely pi$$es it down we are
> :used )to slippery thermoplastic road paint. And as for drivers knowing they )are not supposed to
> :drive on or hog the cycle lanes - I wish. If there )are symbols on the road it gives me more
> :justification for yelling at )them when they occupy all the cycle lane at traffic lights. ) )And
> :as for the politically correct cycle-lane symbol - I'll have to )suggest it to my sister (graphic
> :designer) and see what she can come )up with. Apparently there have also been complaints from the
> :"left-handed-anti-discrimination- )lobby" who are worried that the bike symbol is always pointing
> :to )the right! ) )Maybe the new bike symbol should just be a wheel shape? ;) ) )
>
> What's wrong with changing "BUS LANE" into BUS & CYCLE LANE" ? And doing away with gender-risky
> images ?

And what about taxis? so does the other sign mean that you can overtake if you are driving a red car
when other cars are prohibited? ;-)

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:02:05 GMT someone who may be McBain_v1
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I find it worrying that you seem to know which skirts are okay to ride a diamond frame bike in. Are
>you called "Davina" at the weekend or something ;)

No, I'm still called David at the weekend. However, as well as having eyes and a brain I have been
known to talk to women:)

>Complaints from women's groups will never go away, it is all our fault for being such a bunch of
>peni$-weilding male oppressors :D

be really evil:)

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:14:25 +0900 someone who may be James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>And what's wrong with that?

Very short skirts tend to mean that the wearer has bare legs or is wearing tights. While it is for
everyone to decide what they want to wear, it is also permissible for me to have my own preferences
for what others wear provided that I do not force them upon anyone.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in news:lu3mh1-4kn.ln1
@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk:

> Yes, I can see how that illustration might induce you to want to try, uhhhmmm, recumbent :p

Nah, I was an innocent 11 years old back then. Even if I hadn't been I'm sure the rather conspicuous
lobotomy scar would be a bit of a turn off (although it would certainly explain the blank stare).

Graeme

"Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Science Now" (I think). I've been wanting a recumbent ever since!

The Avatar 2000 was used in the 84 film "Brainstorm" starring Christopher Walken - that was when I
first wanted a recumbent.

Ah well, it's 20 years later, and I've finally got one.

Eddie