Bus lane markings - new rules (?)

McBain_v1 <[email protected]> of cyclingforums.com wrote:

>David Hansen wrote:
> > I'm all for people cycling in "normal" clothes for going to the theatre and so on. A skirt
> > either needs to be fairly long and very loose, or very short, to ride a diamond framed bike in.
>

>I find it worrying that you seem to know which skirts are okay to ride a diamond frame bike in. Are
>you called "Davina" at the weekend or something ;)

He can't be, because he's wrong about the skirts. Fairly long and loose is bad, because they flap
all over the place. Middling length and not tight is best. Don't know about very short, I gave up
mini skirts years before I learnt to ride a bike.

--
Every government is run by liars and nothing they
say should be believed. - I. F. Stone

McBain_v1 wrote:

> Complaints from women's groups will never go away, it is all our fault for being such a bunch of
> peni$-weilding male oppressors :D

Complaints like the one being discussed are never actually heard from 'womens groups' they are heard
from sad old blokes complaining about 'womens groups'

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:41:46 +0000 someone who may be Steph Peters
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>He can't be, because he's wrong about the skirts.
>Fairly long and loose is bad, because they flap all
>over the place.

On a diamond framed bike it would drape over the tube
without flapping around too much. I accept that I was wrong
to type "very loose" and blame that on it being too early
for my brain to be working properly.

>Middling length and not tight is best.

There is still the problem of getting on and off the bike.
At a time when the mass media is full of a car designed by
women I'm not convinced that the diamond frame design is the
best in many circumstances.

It's not just a female issue either, I much prefer designs
that it is easy to get on and off.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

On 6/3/04 1:25 pm, in article [email protected],
"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:41:46 +0000 someone who may be
> Steph Peters <[email protected]>
> wrote this:-
>
>> He can't be, because he's wrong about the skirts.
>> Fairly long and loose is bad, because they flap all
>> over the place.

> It's not just a female issue either, I much prefer designs
> that it is easy to get on and off.

Especially as you are posting from scotland..

..d

David Hansen <[email protected]> of wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:41:46 +0000 someone who may be Steph
>Peters <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>He can't be, because he's wrong about the skirts.
>>Fairly long and loose is bad, because they flap all
>>over the place.
>
>On a diamond framed bike it would drape over the tube
>without flapping around too much. I accept that I was wrong
>to type "very loose" and blame that on it being too early
>for my brain to be working properly.
I have worn a long flappy skirt on a diamond frame bike, and
mine did not drape nicely over the tube. Instead it flapped
around all over the place, until the wind caught it and blew
it upwards, exposing my stockings and suspenders to the
world at large. Even though I was a penniless student at the
time, I thereupon resolved never again to wear an evening
dress while cycling.

>There is still the problem of getting on and off the bike.
>At a time when the mass media is full of a car designed by
>women I'm not convinced that the diamond frame design is
>the best in many circumstances.
>
>It's not just a female issue either, I much prefer designs
>that it is easy to get on and off.
Well so do I, but I've never found it a problem on a
diamond frame. I've got a mixte frame which I could step
through, but find that I'm too used to doing a leg over the
rear wheel mount/dismount. Last week I had a set of shelves
in the pannier that stuck out of the pannier by about 2
feet vertically. So I had to mount the bike by stepping
through, and found that I didn't have the knack of how to
hold it so the bike wobbled all over the place. Give me a
diamond frame any day.
--
The standard of intellect in politics is so low, men of moderate mental capacity
have to stoop to reach it. - Hillaire Belloc
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:25:40 +0000, Steph Peters
<[email protected]> wrote:

>David Hansen <[email protected]> of wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:41:46 +0000 someone who may be
>>Steph Peters <[email protected]>
>>wrote this:-
>>
>>>He can't be, because he's wrong about the skirts.
>>>Fairly long and loose is bad, because they flap all
>>>over the place.
>>
>>On a diamond framed bike it would drape over the tube
>>without flapping around too much. I accept that I was
>>wrong to type "very loose" and blame that on it being too
>>early for my brain to be working properly.
>I have worn a long flappy skirt on a diamond frame bike,
>and mine did not drape nicely over the tube. Instead it
>flapped around all over the place, until the wind caught it
>and blew it upwards, exposing my stockings and suspenders
>to the world at large. Even though I was a penniless
>student at the time, I thereupon resolved never again to
>wear an evening dress while cycling.

I *never* wear a skirt, so can't imagine what a pain it must
be having to choose a bike according to what's in the
wardrobe. No, that's not quite true. I wore a dress for our
wedding, and I was forced to wear a skirt for my graduation
(Oxford Uni didn't allow females to wear trousers). On
neither occasion did I have any need to ride a bike
:)

--

Debbie Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield Views expressed in
this email are my own and are not necessarily those of the

David Hansen wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:41:46 +0000 someone who may be
> Steph Peters <[email protected]>
> wrote this:-
>
>>He can't be, because he's wrong about the skirts.
>>Fairly long and loose is bad, because they flap all
>>over the place.
>
> On a diamond framed bike it would drape over the tube
> without flapping around too much. I accept that I was
> wrong to type "very loose" and blame that on it being too
> early for my brain to be working properly.
>
>>Middling length and not tight is best.
>
> There is still the problem of getting on and off the bike.
> At a time when the mass media is full of a car designed by
> women I'm not convinced that the diamond frame design is
> the best in many circumstances.
>
> It's not just a female issue either, I much prefer designs
> that it is easy to get on and off.

When I used to ride one of those upright MTB monstrosities,
I slipped off the saddle a few times and landed on the bar.
IMO us males would be well advised to avoid 'men's bikes'
whenever possible.

AC

Steph Peters <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have worn a long flappy skirt on a diamond frame bike,
> and mine did not drape nicely over the tube. Instead it
> flapped around all over the place, until the wind caught
> it and blew it upwards, exposing my stockings and
> suspenders to the world at large.

Stop it! You're getting David all hot and flustered :)

Graeme

anonymous coward <[email protected]> wrote in news:c2gsoq$pcq
[email protected]:

> When I used to ride one of those upright MTB
> monstrosities, I slipped off the saddle a few times and
> landed on the bar. IMO us males would be well advised to
> avoid 'men's bikes' whenever possible.

Try hitting something head on at a decent speed and being
projected rapidly into the stem. The cross bar is almost
pleasurable by comparison
><

Graeme

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:39:14 +0000 someone who may be Debbie
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I *never* wear a skirt, [snip] I was forced to wear a skirt
>for my graduation

Did you hire it or borrow it?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:47:05 GMT someone who may be Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Stop it! You're getting David all hot and flustered :)

Sadly not, I must be getting too old:)

--

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Graeme <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:

>>> Long wheelbase recumbent from the 1980s IIRC...
>>>

>> The Avatar 2000 (scary picture at http://www.legslarry.b-
>> eerdrinkers.co.uk/mags/BMMay82_01.htm) was the first
>> recumbent I ever saw a picture of, back in about 1981 in
>> the magazine "Science Now" (I think). I've been wanting a
>> recumbent ever since!
>
> I saw a *real* on, with its owner on a train in the early
> '80s. I was a poor student at the time but was envious. It
> was a beauty! Had a chat with the owner...
>
> ISTR a feature on it in 'Bicycle' magazine.

Better yet, I fell off the very one pictured on my web site.
A Several of times. Never could get the hang of LWB...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:22:54 +0000, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:39:14 +0000 someone who may be
>Debbie <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>I *never* wear a skirt, [snip] I was forced to wear a
>>skirt for my graduation
>
>Did you hire it or borrow it?

I bought it - at the same time as I bought my hood, gown and
mortar board. I decided that I wanted a few souvenirs. None
has been used since.

--

Debbie Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield Views expressed in
this email are my own and are not necessarily those of the
University of Sheffield or UTU.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:02:05 GMT, McBain_v1
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)David Hansen wrote: ) > I'm all for people cycling in
:"normal" clothes for going to the theatre ) > and so on. A
:skirt either needs to be fairly long and very loose, or ) >
:very short, to ride a diamond framed bike in. ) ) ) )I find
:it worrying that you seem to know which skirts are okay to
:ride a )diamond frame bike in. Are you called "Davina" at
:the weekend or )something ;)

Personally, I prefer short skirts ;) (on women, that is !)
--
Comm again, Mike.

On 5 Mar 2004 01:53:01 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

:)[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in
:message news:<[email protected]>... )>
:On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:51:24 GMT, McBain_v1 )> <usenet-
:[email protected]> wrote: ) )> :)There's someone on
:the Road Bike Review forum threads who uses that )>
::)picture as his avatar. )> :) )> )> So what's an avatar ?
:) )It's the human or animal incarnation of a Hindu deity.
:In this context )it's an image used to represent the poster
:eek:n the forum.

That ties in well with where I saw the word recently !

Thanks.

PS - and agrees with the definition in a computing
dictionary I got for my birthday today !
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:51:28 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in
:)news:[email protected]: ) )>> So what's an
:avatar ? )> )> Long wheelbase recumbent from the 1980s
:IIRC... )> ) )The Avatar 2000 (scary picture at )http://ww-
:w.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/mags/BMMay82_01.htm) was the
:first )recumbent I ever saw a picture of, back in about
:1981 in the magazine )"Science Now" (I think). I've been
:wanting a recumbent ever since!

Odd ! I first came across the word on a web site about a
week ago and it was nothing to do with recumbents !
--
Comm again, Mike.

[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 5 Mar 2004 01:53:01 -0800, [email protected] (Dave
> Kahn) wrote:

> :)It's the human or animal incarnation of a Hindu deity.
> :In this context )it's an image used to represent the
> :poster on the forum.
>
> That ties in well with where I saw the word recently !
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS - and agrees with the definition in a computing
> dictionary I got for my birthday today !

The dictionary's probably right then. :)

Many happy returns for yesterday BTW.

--
Dave...

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:25:16 +0000, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)It's not just a female issue either, I much prefer designs
:that it )is easy to get on and off. )

Usually getting off comes naturally after you've stopped !
--
Comm again, Mike.