Calfee Stiletto--anybody ride one?

Deanaliddy

Guest
If anybody has been able to ride the new carbon Stiletto recumbent by Calfee, please give me your
impression of it. I am in the market for a high end LWB and thinking about a T-Rush but the weight
and the credentials of this new Stiletto are really impressive. Somebody here in my town has ordered
one but it has not yet arrived and even when it does, it will be much too big for me to ride but at
least I could look at it. Any thoughts on buying a "new" design with cabled steering? Racers seem to
love the Calfee uprights. Thanks for your comments.

Heard a rumor that production is halted due to it being redesigned as an all carbon 20lb high racer

"TimH" <timh at nospam.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Heard a rumor that production is halted due to it being redesigned as an all carbon 20lb
> high racer
>
>As to all-CF high racers, I cannot say, but Larry of Mt Airy bikes
here in Maryland told me a month ago that he had a Stiletto on order. They are a pretty big shop and
have a good relationship with Calfee, so I expect they will get theirs as soon as anybody, but bike
production times being what they are, I would not be holding my breath! Don't know where the
original poster is based, but if Maryland is within striking distance, you could give Larry a call:
410-795-2929.

Regards, Nathan

TimH wrote:

> Heard a rumor that production is halted due to it being redesigned as an all carbon 20lb
> high racer

Not quite.

There is some talk that Calfee may develop a SWB bike as well, but not as a replacement. If you ever
read anything by Fast Freddy on this issue you'll know that he would never give up the LWB design
for a SWB one, and there is no reason why he should.

It seams that the main delays with the Stilettos are:

- Each frame is hand built according to the buyer's measurements. So it does take longer to build
them a mass-production bike.

- It appears that buyers are opting for the RANS Zephyr lightweight mesh seat, but RANS hasn't
started shipping them out yet, so the bikes are on hold.

Cheers.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will just wait a while to see if the local one arrives so I can
take a look. It is -6 F. here tonight so we have some time before riding weather arrives. Deana

Joao de Souza wrote:

> - It appears that buyers are opting for the RANS Zephyr lightweight mesh seat, but RANS hasn't
> started shipping them out yet, so the bikes are on hold.

RANS has a history of NOT getting new products out on schedule.

Tom "Considering the Force 5" Sherman - Quad Cities

Well, I am not the most objective person to ask, being good friends with
the Calfee crew, but I have ridden the Stilleto, in several iterations I
might add. I also work for Easy Racers so you put me in a tough spot given
that you're interested in a Ti-Rush :) However, I'll give my 2 cents...

It is a really nice bike, I mean really, really nice. If you have never seen a Calfee bike up close
and personal, you should. Just flawless works of carbon art, Craig is a genius. And Freddy, well
Freddy has as much experience riding HPVs as anyone, and I mean all kinds of HPVs, long, short,
headfirst, on your belly, on your back, tv-guided, aircraft, boats, etc... He is like the engine for
hire in the HPV world. So regardless of anything else, you gotta respect that. His thoughts and
opinions have been developed over 3 decades of real experience. And if Freddy builds his dream bike,
you gotta believe it's what he honestly, genuinely thinks is the best, for him.

It's obviously based off a TE/GRR, that's great, I think only the P38 rivals the design in terms of
sheer staying power, they are some of those "defining the genre" bikes. They are not a fad, they are
still here and in production because they work so well they can't be bettered, much :)

The Stilleto address' Freddy's issues with the TE/GRR and honestly I think they are simply a matter
of preferance. Remote steering = no tiller, not that the tiller is much to speak of on a GRR, and
you introduce extra mechanical complexity to your design and lose some handlebar real estate (an
issue for touring). Personally I don't care either way, the Stilleto's steering feels just as secure
and solid as a TE/GRR.

Speaking of which, I do believe the Stilleto has a bit less trail than the TE/GRR, making the
steering lighter and more responsive, good at lower speeds, maybe not so good at 60+mph, which is
not unheard for me on a TE/GRR in the Santa Cruz mountains. I have not actually gone over about 30
on the Stilleto so that is a bit of conjecture on my part. At all speeds I have ridden the Stilleto
it tracks incredably well, the light steering is almost psychic.

It is a very smoooooth ride, built in passive suspension, tuned to the riders weight! I think they
use different sized seat stays but could be wrong so don't quote me. This bit of genius gets around
one of the shortcomings of carbon, sort of a solid but dead feeling (my opinion). This is probably
the deciding factor for anyone torn between the two bikes, feel, and I don't dare to touch that one
with a 10 foot pole.

The Stilleto will be maybe 2-4 lbs lighter than the Ti-Rush, we will see when the seats come in from
RANS (come on Randy!) So we can't say too much about that right now. It will obviously climb like a
mountain goat regardless.

Other factors.... hmmm, the Stilleto I believe gets a 20 year warranty the Ti-Rush, lifetime.

I do have some further opinions, but I am not comfortable expressing them in this forum, e-mail if
you'd like.

In short... It's all about feel, what style grabs you, what YOU want.

Now what I want... hmm maybe a Carbon-Ti colaboration, a la, Merlin :)

Gabe