Campy Record Cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by H. M. Leary, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    This is a loaded question:

    Any recommended range for an olde farte??? I have a 53 - 39 - 27 crankset.

    I remember from the days of my youth that Granny was always very helpful.

    HAND

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Are you looking for "lower" gearing? If so, you could replace your 27t "granny" gear with as low as
    a 24t. If you're looking for cassette, you don't say what speed you have - 8/9/10, but if 8 or 9 you
    could get veloce loose cog 13x28 cassette and if 10 you could just get a 13x29..... "H. M. Leary"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is a loaded question:
    >
    > Any recommended range for an olde farte??? I have a 53 - 39 - 27 crankset.
    >
    > I remember from the days of my youth that Granny was always very helpful.
    >
    > HAND
    >
    > --
    > ³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³
    >
    > - Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

  3. mikie-<< Any recommended range for an olde farte??? I have a 53 - 39 - 27 crankset.

    being an olde farte meself..really depends on where you are going to ride. Perhaps a tight cogset
    since you have a granny, perhaps a big cogset since you want to climb steep stuff...

    I think a 12-25 if 10s and a 12-23 if 9s should be sufficient but YMMV...

  4. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo) wrote:

    > mikie-<< Any recommended range for an olde farte??? I have a 53 - 39 - 27 crankset.
    >
    > being an olde farte meself..really depends on where you are going to ride. Perhaps a tight cogset
    > since you have a granny, perhaps a big cogset since you want to climb steep stuff...
    >
    > I think a 12-25 if 10s and a 12-23 if 9s should be sufficient but YMMV...

    Thanks. I ordered the bike with the Record and the 12-25. We¹ll give it a go on my nemeses hill (
    17% grade for 1.25 miles) and see what happens.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    H. M. Leary wrote:

    >> mikie-<< Any recommended range for an olde farte??? I have a 53 - 39 - 27 crankset.

    > I ordered the bike

    That was quick. I didn't have a chance to post my suggestion! :)

    > with the Record and the 12-25.

    That's high. 53 x 12?! 13-26 would have been much better, IMO.

    ~PB

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    It that is not enough, buy a loose cog 28. Pull the 15 and add the 28. If you have an old 13/26,
    pull the 12,13 and add the 28.

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:24:48 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I ordered the bike with the Record and the 12-25. We¹ll give it a go on my nemeses hill ( 17% grade
    >for 1.25 miles) and see what happens.

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Where can you buy a single cog and spacer for a 10 speed Record cassette?

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It that is not enough, buy a loose cog 28. Pull the 15 and add the 28. If you have an old 13/26,
    > pull the 12,13 and add the 28.
    >
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:24:48 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I ordered the bike with the Record and the 12-25. We¹ll give it a go on
    my
    > >nemeses hill ( 17% grade for 1.25 miles) and see what happens.

  8. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Where can you buy a single cog and spacer for a 10 speed Record cassette?

    Try Peter at www.vecchios.com - he has everything Campy...

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    >I ordered the bike with the Record and the 12-25. We¹ll give it a go on my nemeses hill ( 17% grade
    >for 1.25 miles) and see what happens.

    Since we're both from the same area, which hill would that be? Levering Street (the Wall) , part of
    the the US Pro Bike race, is a 17% grade but is only about 875 feet in length.

  10. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I ordered the bike with the Record and the 12-25. We¹ll give it a go on my nemeses hill ( 17%
    > >grade for 1.25 miles) and see what happens.
    >
    > Since we're both from the same area, which hill would that be? Levering Street (the Wall) , part
    > of the the US Pro Bike race, is a 17% grade but is only about 875 feet in length.

    Go west, Richard, go west. ( from your stop at the Perkiomen Trail ), or ride up by the stable at
    Ridley Creek State Park

    When is school over for you??

    Have a great summer.

    Ride Safe

  11. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    > H. M. Leary wrote:
    >
    > >> mikie-<< Any recommended range for an olde farte??? I have a 53 - 39 - 27 crankset.

    > > I ordered the bike
    >
    > That was quick. I didn't have a chance to post my suggestion! :)
    >
    > > with the Record and the 12-25.
    >
    > That's high. 53 x 12?! 13-26 would have been much better, IMO.
    >
    > ~PB

    What can I say??? I am impulsive. 18 of 23 weekends or some such around here with rain, lightening,
    etc etc etc.

    Had to go shopping! Gotta spend that tax rebate to stimulate the economy. Glad I didn¹t get a
    Segway...:)

    Campy does make a 13 - 29, but have only seen it in all Titanium. At $400US it does lighten your
    wallet considerably.

    Ride Safe

  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:59:08 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Richard <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> >I ordered the bike with the Record and the 12-25. We¹ll give it a go on my nemeses hill ( 17%
    >> >grade for 1.25 miles) and see what happens.
    >>
    >> Since we're both from the same area, which hill would that be? Levering Street (the Wall) , part
    >> of the the US Pro Bike race, is a 17% grade but is only about 875 feet in length.
    >>

    >Go west, Richard, go west. ( from your stop at the Perkiomen Trail ), or ride up by the stable at
    >Ridley Creek State Park
    >
    >When is school over for you??
    >
    >Have a great summer.
    >
    >Ride Safe

    The hill at Ridley Creek Park is only about 7/10ths of a mile and maybe 8 or 9%. Can you quote me
    the exact name of the street/road/hill you're referring to? I'd love to check it out. I honestly
    don't know of any hill that has a 17% grade for over a mile in the entire Delaware Valley area.
    School ended yesterday. I'm a free spirit, now.