Chalo among the fashion victims and other impressionables

"Andre Jute" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> > Nah, seriously, Chalo, you should have looked more closely at the
>> > photographs on my netsite.The Gazelle Toulouse has a disc front brake
>> > and a no-tools adjustable handlebar height for a reason. Click,
>> > handbars down and rotated to put the handles well forward and pointing
>> > down, click to lock the setting in, and I'm a speed maniac; for
>> > instance, I got booked by the police for doing 43mph past a hospital,
>> > and I've done well over 100Km/h on that bike, going downhill of
>> > course.

>> That's pretty fast - what hill?

>Not a famous hill. A tarmacadam farm lane. I asked the farmer who is
>the only one to use the lane to tie up his dogs and park his tractor
>across the bottom end of the lane to block it because I reckoned no
>one would catch up on me from behind, then went for it. Don't try this
>at home, kids.

Whereabouts is it?

cheers,
clive

On Jan 23, 2:00 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> I'd love to be convinced that Andre has actually gone well over 100
> kmh down some private farm road on that bike, but experience leads me
> to expect otherwise.

Well, he could have been drafting Bill Baka's tricycle. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

>>> http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Bauhaus.html

>> I think you mean "sportfiet" not "sportief". And the proper word might
>> be "sportfiets" but better check with someone who actually knows Dutch.

> GAzelle has a range 'Stad comfort' and 'stad sportief' ie 'city bloody
> heavy and staid', and city and bloody heavy, staid and jazzed up with
> some more ****. But that's only my opinion. the nice folks at Gazelle do
> quite well with people who disagree ;)

So does "sportief" mean "sporty", a bit like the French word sportif?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:25:07 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>On Jan 23, 2:00 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>>

>> I'd love to be convinced that Andre has actually gone well over 100
>> kmh down some private farm road on that bike, but experience leads me
>> to expect otherwise.

>Well, he could have been drafting Bill Baka's tricycle. ;-)
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

Or he could have been pedaling furiously and trading the lead in
Trevor Jeffrey's perpetual-motion peloton, where riders supposedly
went faster and faster as they sling-shotted out from behind the rider
whom they were drafting.

To be fair, even if his hill turns out to be too short or gentle to
produce the claimed speed, he could have been fooled by a failing
speedometer. Posters have mentioned cyclocomputers abruptly pegging
the needle, so to speak, at 100 kmh in implausible places.

And I'd still be pleased to find that my skepticism is wrong and that
there is a paved farm lane long enough and steep enough for that kind
of bike to do well over 100 kmh.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:43:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

[---]

>And I'd still be pleased to find that my skepticism is wrong and that
>there is a paved farm lane long enough and steep enough for that kind
>of bike to do well over 100 kmh.

Patience, patience my good man ! That will all be confirmed as soon as
Mr Jute posts a reference to the relevant Google Maps page ...

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:27:35 +0100, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:43:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>[---]
>
>>And I'd still be pleased to find that my skepticism is wrong and that
>>there is a paved farm lane long enough and steep enough for that kind
>>of bike to do well over 100 kmh.

>Patience, patience my good man ! That will all be confirmed as soon as
>Mr Jute posts a reference to the relevant Google Maps page ...

Dear George--er, Andrew,

Tell me about the rabbits again.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Jan 23, 2:32 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:27:35 +0100, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:43:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> >[---]

> >>And I'd still be pleased to find that my skepticism is wrong and that
> >>there is a paved farm lane long enough and steep enough for that kind
> >>of bike to do well over 100 kmh.

> >Patience, patience my good man ! That will all be confirmed as soon as
> >Mr Jute posts a reference to the relevant Google Maps page ...

> Dear George--er, Andrew,
>
> Tell me about the rabbits again.

Click...

In article
<[email protected]>,
Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> If a road bike suits
> you and you belong to the club, great, if neither is true you're lunch
> for the hidden persauders, my guys, who are also entitled to a living.

Heh. I've read my James Alexander Campbell Brown, and digested it.
Your guys are not aiming at me; they know better.

--
Michael Press

On Jan 23, 10:28 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> You're way oversensitive to be a cyclist, Dusto.

Apparently not.

> > Other people, and lots of them, too, are at least as smart as you are,
> > without having the shitty attitude about it.

> Of course they are. Are you one of them?

Moot.

I've enjoyed your response, appreciated. For the most part, as we say
in Texas for agreement, "myself".

The only thing I really "knock" about your bike is the upright seating
position. Something I really don't like, although I "endure" just fine
when using our "comfort bike" (marketing by Big Lie), a Specialized
Expedition (pavement expeditions only, please) to pull the boy on his
trailer bike or ride with the kids around the 'hood. Disc brakes? I'd
like to have those on a bike, just for the sake of using them.
Enclosed chain, hub gears, maybe even a mirror, no problem here. But
upright is anything but "comfort" for me. And it's not just that
horrible stock sofa-saddle, either. I'm very used to the "roadie"
position; my muscles don't work very well on that Specialized and I
don't like the way it balances, to try to describe the feeling, and
it's really foreign-feeling in cornering.

Are some people (speaking of enduring) riding bikes they're not
comfortable on, and does marketing have an influence on that? Maybe
so; Austin has a pretty fair population of riders who could be
described as "sporting" for lack of a better term. From racers to
"just riders" who make the weekend gatherings (some good-sized groups
across "ability" ranges) for rides of 20 or 30 miles and on up, there
are quite a few who are using tools that work for the job and are
getting along pretty darn well on their drop-bar road bikes. IOW, not
fools suffering on the rack for the sake of consuming correctly. OK?

> Too few days left in my remaining thirty years to waste even one of
> them on not enjoying the day. But here it is so wet and windy that I
> gave up my ride and instead took my family out to lunch.

Same here, 34F and wet. I could go out, but there wouldn't be any
experimentation in it. --D-y

Andre Jute wrote:
> On Jan 23, 8:11 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Mr. Jute shows a very poor awareness of what type of bicycles Chalo
>> Colina actually prefers and rides.

> No longer. Chalo has kindly sent directions to various pages on his
> netsite.

Just the thought of Chalo even considering a typical upright, skinny
tire, skinny saddle, drop bar racing bicycle is odd, considering his
posted preferences.
>> --
>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
>> - A. Derleth

> Grafitto on a lavatory wall at Langley:
> "All intelligence careers end in failure."
>
> Grafitto on a wall downtown:
> "Life's a *****. And then you die."
>
> Did Augustus cycle?

Not sure if he had a bicycle. However, there are some nice 15-20% grade
roads in the area Derleth lived in. :)

Steve Grendon does not appear to have a bicycle in the stories I have
read (which is not all of them).

Ben C wrote:

> So does "sportief" mean "sporty", a bit like the French word sportif?

got it!
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Jan 23, 6:09 pm, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Andre Jute" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> That's pretty fast - what hill?

> >Not a famous hill. A tarmacadam farm lane. I asked the farmer who is
> >the only one to use the lane to tie up his dogs and park his tractor
> >across the bottom end of the lane to block it because I reckoned no
> >one would catch up on me from behind, then went for it. Don't try this
> >at home, kids.

> Whereabouts is it?
>
> cheers,
> clive

A few kilometres south and east of where I live at Bandon in Co Cork
in Ireland. The lane runs past Knocknacurra and Ballymountain to Lower
Ballymountain. These are names of fields and crossroads, tiny local
features. On Ordnance Survey Ireland's Discovery Series No. 86 2nd
edition Lower Ballymountain is labelled Mahony's Cross Rds. You can
get a map at http://www.earthtools.org/ by choosing Ireland in the
dropdown menu at the left, putting Bandon (near Cork) under the cross
and then enlarging until you can see the names of crossroads, then
sliding the whole map to the left until Ballymountain South crossroads
appears on the right...

Send an e-mail address to my fiultra mailbox.

Andre Jute
If you need a maplight you're lost in the dark -- Star Air Rally quip

On Jan 23, 8:27 pm, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:43:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> [---]
>
> >And I'd still be pleased to find that my skepticism is wrong and that
> >there is a paved farm lane long enough and steep enough for that kind
> >of bike to do well over 100 kmh.

> Patience, patience my good man ! That will all be confirmed as soon as
> Mr Jute posts a reference to the relevant Google Maps page ...

Yes, I was amazed that Fogel should start calling me a liar before I
could even answer. I hadn't realized that, in Fogel's McCathyite
worldview, rec.bicycles.tech is so largely populated by liars that
anyone saying the sun shines outside should first present a notarized
report from the weather bureau. Mind you, I was amused by some of
Fogel's erroneous presumptions, like the farm lane being "private",
which is putting words into my mouth that I never spoke.

Andre "Precision" Jute

>A few kilometres south and east of where I live at Bandon in Co Cork
>in Ireland. The lane runs past Knocknacurra and Ballymountain to Lower
>Ballymountain. These are names of fields and crossroads, tiny local
>features. On Ordnance Survey Ireland's Discovery Series No. 86 2nd
>edition Lower Ballymountain is labelled Mahony's Cross Rds. You can
>get a map at http://www.earthtools.org/ by choosing Ireland in the
>dropdown menu at the left, putting Bandon (near Cork) under the cross
>and then enlarging until you can see the names of crossroads, then
>sliding the whole map to the left until Ballymountain South crossroads
>appears on the right...

Ok, I'm looking at

http://www.earthtools.org/index.php?x=-8.66598129272461&y=51.735533641609564&z=13&t=0&m=ContourMap

Are you talking about the road heading roughly NE from near the top of the
hill at Knocknacurra to the crossroads marked Ballymountain south?

cheers,
clive

On Jan 24, 7:25 am, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, I was amazed that Fogel should start calling me a liar before I
> could even answer.

Hmm. I didn't realize he'd called you a liar. What I see instead is
this rather mild statement: "I'd love to be convinced that Andre has
actually gone well over 100
kmh down some private farm road on that bike, but experience leads me
to expect otherwise."

> I hadn't realized that, in Fogel's McCathyite
> worldview, rec.bicycles.tech is so largely populated by liars that
> anyone saying the sun shines outside should first present a notarized
> report from the weather bureau.

My! Such hyperbole! Or should we say, such blarney? ;-)

Rec.bicycles.tech may have some liars in its population. But far more
common are visitors who drop in with exaggerated tales of impossible
adventures.

Not that this applies to you, Andre! After all, you've bragged about
being very successful in using advertising to sell people goods you
"made them want." How could we ever expect such a person would bend
the facts? ;-)

By the way, the map at the link Clive gave,
http://www.earthtools.org/index.php?x=-8.66598129272461&y=51.735533641609564&z=13&t=0&m=ContourMap
shows that road topping out at about a 13% grade, by my rough
scaling. Not quite good enough for 100 kph, even if that particular
little-used farm lane has much smoother pavement than the Irish roads
I remember.

So, are we looking at the wrong road?

- Frank Krygowski

On Jan 24, 12:53 pm, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Andre Jute" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >A few kilometres south and east of where I live at Bandon in Co Cork
> >in Ireland. The lane runs past Knocknacurra and Ballymountain to Lower
> >Ballymountain. These are names of fields and crossroads, tiny local
> >features.  On Ordnance Survey Ireland's Discovery Series No. 86 2nd
> >edition Lower Ballymountain is labelled Mahony's Cross Rds. You can
> >get a map athttp://www.earthtools.org/by choosing Ireland in the
> >dropdown menu at the left, putting Bandon (near Cork) under the cross
> >and then enlarging until you can see the names of crossroads, then
> >sliding the whole map to the left until Ballymountain South crossroads
> >appears on the right...

> Ok, I'm looking at
>
> http://www.earthtools.org/index.php?x=-8.66598129272461&y=51.73553364....
>
> Are you talking about the road heading roughly NE from near the top of the
> hill at Knocknacurra to the crossroads marked Ballymountain south?
>
> cheers,
> clive

That's it. -- AJ