Did you ride today ? new and improved thread

The ride video, just some chatting, no music.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rode yesterday and had an ominous black thunder cloud chasing me. Nothing like that as a coach and motivator to keep a record pace and cadence!

20 minutes of getting home the bottom fell out.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Did 66.6 miles at 17.8 average speed with a small group today. Really nice when you have people willing to help you out. Worked well together today. Temps top out over 100 degrees today. Gal in the pink is really strong! ;)

0a.JPG

0b.JPG

0c.JPG
0a.JPG
0b.JPG

The video

Thursday night 25 miler with the group. Ladies and Gents ride.

26 miles with Gina and some group riding for a bit. We rode the first half to the coast with them. They decided to go for coffee in town but I like to avoid the crowds so Gina and I kicked back at our usual spot thinking they may be back soon. So we waited a bit then headed off on our own for the return. One of the guys was saying we might make it back with a 17 average. Close on the last half mile so we really had to push it to get it! He'll be proud when he sees it on Strava. :D

Sitting in the back watching what might happen. Seemed a little unorganized for a bit so we went around taking the front setting the pace. That got everybody in single file ha ha!

DSCN2465.JPG

Gina and I at the back thinking, what's going on here?

DSCN2466.JPG

000garmin.JPG

Reactions: zipp2001
Little ride video from today, 26 miles 17.0 average.

Reactions: zipp2001
Thursday night ride

Today a solo 43 miler on the trail. After 31 miles or so having a 16.4 average, thought I'd have a 17.0 but the wind shifted and the whirlwinds were throwing dirt in my face. I had to fight to keep it at 16.5. Dern wind but I remember why I prefer riding alone. :D

Started kind of dark and ugly outside.

001.JPG

After the ride, a little beat and disappointed but I was just posing for the pic. I actually had a good time. :D

002.JPG

Easy 15 mile night ride with Gina on the tandem just to spin up the legs. :D

SnapShot1.JPG
SnapShot4.JPG
SnapShot5.JPG

A little video in the dark! :D

A video from Thurs night!

43 miles with a buddy today at 17.0 average speed. I would like to think the riding is paying off. Today we rode side by side and averaged well without too much effort. Good sign the fitness may be coming back. Did a little drafting here and there once we hit the big headwind but not much at all.

600a.JPG
600b.JPG
600c.JPG

Hmmm! I'm the only guy riding, getting tired.

Short sweet night ride with Gina tonight. Relaxing and stretching out the legs.

DSCN2527-600.JPG
DSCN2529-600.JPG
DSCN2530-600.JPG

The video. Testing an extension I bought for the handle bar mounts. Testing to see if it would eliminate picking up the brake hoods in the video. Seems to have worked. I didn't use any stabilization to see if it was stable enough, I think so. Though my old go pros don't have stabilization on them, I do have it on my post edit program that I use to edit vids.

25 mile ride with the group last night. Good ride. Riders seem to be getting faster so lots of sweat and snot from the riders last night ha ha!

My high school buddy Tony. Known this dude for 43 years now. Cycling together for 25.

DSCN2536.JPG
DSCN2537.JPG

Fast ride today with the boys! Well fast for me anyway being a recreational type rider.

57 miles at 18.7 average speed. The girls all cancelled today so we took advantage of it. Couple of fast guys were a little ahead of us but we did a pretty good rotation most of the way till the last 7 miles.

I'm the type of guy that likes to ride together and will set a steady pace for all to keep up. So leaving the coast, I took an 8 mile turn at the front figuring I had plenty of help. Had a 19 average at one point and trying to keep it up there, so I took the front and set a decent pace. But the stop lights on Pacific Coast Hwy help destroy the 19 average.

So I maintained an 18.8 most of the way once we got back on the trail. But!!!! One guy sprints around for some reason, instead of returning the help at the front. So all the guys take off and leave me behind. ****, thanks!

So they pull away and at that point I probably needed the help. But they pull away but spread out thinking they are all going to win the sprint, what sprint?

So I see them ahead, closest guy is about 40 yards ahead now. I reel him in then he takes my wheel. This is the fast guy, did a long ride yesterday so I think he was feeling it today. So he takes my wheel and I think we can team up, wrong!

I keep the pace but he again sprints around me shouting, "C'MON BEANZ!!!'. Well, I ain't stupid. If I couldn't sprint and keep up the first time, I'm not trying this time. So he lifts the pace and catches on to the next guy up. Keeping my pace, I'm a master pacer type of rider. I don't sprint, surge etc, I usually end up catching back up by doing my thing.

So I roll up on the two guys then they sprint off again, OK! But then they split and the fast guy fades badly. I roll up on him just as we hit the slightest little incline in the road. He jumped on my wheel again but I was like F that! I gave it all I had then he fell back. Nobody seems to want to team up so I'm on my own. I catch the next guy and go around him. If they had teamed up, I never would have caught them, but the ego gets in the way trying to bag one another.

So when I catch him, I think he's tired from the effort of trying to kill the other guy. I'm tired and suffering but I need a good push to put this guy away. As much as I would like to team up, he'll more than likely suck wheel then sprint around me again. So F that too, I gave it all I had at that moment and dropped him pretty quickly. Plenty of wasted energy on the part of these guys.

As I return to my regular pace, I see another guy. The same guy that thanked me for the nice steady 8 mile turn at the front that saved him a lot of energy, I'm sure. Enough to sprint around me and drop me!

I roll up on the guy about 3 different times and each time he hears me, he sprints off. Well F'ing!!! So I just keep on and finally, I go around him. Not sure why but he didn't seem to try to keep up as I kicked up my pace. I get back and only 2 guys finish seconds ahead of me. Not that I was racing but it's nice when guys do this kind of stuff and still able to go around them.

I asked the guy at the park why he kept sprinting away after I had helped him. He said he didn't realize it was me. Thought it was one of the other guys. OK! o_O

But either way, I was able to get in a pretty good strong ride today at a good pace. Last 7 or so, alone and warm temps with an average of 87 degrees.

DSCN2539.JPG

DSCN2540.JPG

Some video of the ride.

A nice little 10.5 mile night ride with Gina. Hot Summer day but a cool night ride, ahhhh! I think Gina felt really good tonight. We had a little chat about how nice it is to just get out and do your own thing enjoying the fresh night air. I think she sees why I like to go out at night and get in a little relaxing ride.

I was talking with one of the women on the group ride the other night. She was talking about how fast the other riders are, though she is a strong rider herself. She said her legs were tired from the last few rides. Well yeah, every time these guys get together, they try to hammer each other. That gets old and not good for your body if you ask me.

When I rode really well and did some competition rides, I would ride hard but always included an easy recovery relaxing ride spinning up the legs to work the lactic acid loose in the legs. 5,000 ft of climbing one day but the next ride might be 10 or 20 miles at 13 mph. I think it really helped. Recovery rides are a good part of riding but too many don't understand that.

So riding with the group is always a good push. Though I hang in the back the first half as everybody is hammering down hill, I'm conserving for the gradual climb back. Especially us Clydesdales, I think relax on the dh being the easy to keep up section for us big guys, then go hard on the climbs. Works good for me. I think some people are surprised when a dude 100 pounds heavier than they are, passes them on a 3 mile gradual climb while they are working hard ha ha!

I'm not bragging but I have a strategy. I ride hard then I recover with a short easy ride. Others think they should go all out every ride. I guess ego gets in the way but ime, it hurts one's cycling performance. So there are maybe 3 or 4 guys out of the 30 who will beat me back on the climb but that's cool, never expect to be number one in cycling. Being strong is good for me. Better than a couch potato ha ha!

So nights like tonight, I take advantage of it. Go easy, have fun, enjoy the ride, relax the legs, spin away the lactic acid, then hammer those guys on the group ride ha ha!

I hear many of them complain about tired legs from last few rides. Hmm, you need to do easy rides too but they think easy rides are for sissies I guess. Ha! Go do 100 miles with 12,000 ft of climbing, you'll be happy to do an easy spin ride as a follow up.

So that is my story and I'm sticking to it! You don't have to impress everyone every time you go out!

So the easy ride and it was fun. I did clean Gina's drive train and lube it up, and a few other parts of the bike. So she was really happy tonight talking about how smooth her bike felt. Maybe I lubed it too well cause she kept pulling away from me ha ha! I wasn't trying to ride hard but I had to keep up somewhat not wanting her to ride off into the darkness alone. :D

NightINDB.JPG
NightINDC.JPG

NightINDA.JPG