Do you get gallstones from drinking too much diet soda?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
Well, to not gain weight and to be a light biker I only drink diet soda. I know that if you drink a lot of regular sugared soda you may likely get gallstones - which needs an operation. But do people get gallstones or other bad complications from drinking a lot of diet soda?

Do you drink a lot of diet soda and has it affected your health? At most I might drink 1 liter a day of diet anything.

Drink water instead, unless you manage to drink huge amounts you won't have any complications.

JTE83 said:
Well, to not gain weight and to be a light biker I only drink diet soda. I know that if you drink a lot of regular sugared soda you may likely get gallstones - which needs an operation. But do people get gallstones or other bad complications from drinking a lot of diet soda?

Do you drink a lot of diet soda and has it affected your health? At most I might drink 1 liter a day of diet anything.
Dump the soda from your diet completely. Diet or full strength, just dump it. It's useless. Drink water instead. If your tap water has some aftertaste then filter it.

I have 2 friends that were in their mid-30's when their Doctors told them to quit drinking them altogether. One guy had kidney stones, the other has high blood pressure. My father drank soda all his life and he eventually had gallstones and diabetis. Trust me. The **** is poison.

Doctor Morbius said:
Dump the soda from your diet completely. Diet or full strength, just dump it. It's useless. Drink water instead. If your tap water has some aftertaste then filter it.

I have 2 friends that were in their mid-30's when their Doctors told them to quit drinking them altogether. One guy had kidney stones, the other has high blood pressure. My father drank soda all his life and he eventually had gallstones and diabetis. Trust me. The **** is poison.

Well, when I went for a workout - I usually only drank water. But lately I discovered that you can go for a workout and drink Gatorade and still lose weight. Gatorade sure tastes better than water when you need refreshment!Mostly, any drink with the refined sugar of soda will probably give you gallstones. My dad got gallstones from drinking regular soda.

But if diet soda doesn't have any refined sugar - how can you get gallstones from it? Because the only soda I drink is diet. Diet soda should have some hope.

Hey Doctor Morbius -- how is the field of computer science? In terms of getting a job nowadays ? I once thought about changing my field from Mechanical Engineering to computer science but now that's gone. I think the CS field is overcrowded and hard now especially after the Dot Com bust, Y2K problem, and the overseas shift of work.

I also saw your post from the "other hobbies" thread and I build loudspeakers too. I design speakers in ProEngineer CAD, cut them out using a table saw, use LsPCAD to design the crossover. Truthfully my first pair is still under construction - crossover design and speaker testing is the hard part. I'm using Scanspeak D2905 tweeters and Dynaudio 17W75 woofer - should be real sweet.

Doctor Morbius said:

hey Doc, I'm 26 and have high blood pressure. I do drink a lot of soda. Do you think if I cut out the soda it'll lower my blood pressure?

I take water add some lemon juice and a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Homemeade gatorade is cheap, quick to make (once you get the pinchs right) and tastes good on a hard ride.

seim said:
hey Doc, I'm 26 and have high blood pressure. I do drink a lot of soda. Do you think if I cut out the soda it'll lower my blood pressure?

Thats a good question--for your actual doctor! A forum is not ever going to be the best place to go when you want nutrition and health advice that is factual and based on research that has been proven.

seim said:
Of course it will help. It's just liquid candy. How good can that be for a person? Ask any nutritionist and they'll tell you soft drinks (even diet ones) are ****.

Even school kids are now having complications due to the obesity epedemic, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin-resistant diabetes, and coronary plaque formation.

Corporations like Coke and Pepsico provide absolutely nothing that benefit society. They just provide wealth for the shareholders. In fact, American healthcare costs $1 trillion dollars annually. $100 billion can be directly tied to obesity. Our soft drink/fast food culture is a huge part of that.

There are many other things you'll need to do in order to lower your blood pressure than just cut out soft drinks, but that's a good start. Diet, exercise, lowered stress and weight loss are the big guns. If you still can't lower your blood pressure you may need medications. Lipitor has been proven to be very effective. Be careful about going on prescription medication too early though as most people use it as a crutch and forget about the diet, exercise and the other things that they should be doing. My brother is a perfect example of this. He takes several prescription medications a day when all he really needs to do is lose 50 pounds off his fat obese ass! But he's too lazy to do that so he just takes the pills. And he's going to die young because of it too.

Doctors can be very quick to prescribe certain medications in order to fix a problem. You have to understand though that what you have is a condition that will be with you a lifetime. Sometimes you just can't put a bandaid on cancer if you get what I'm saying.

By the way, the gold standard for blood pressure is now 115/75. Too many people were still having problems related to hypertension at 120/80.

JTE83 said:
Well, when I went for a workout - I usually only drank water. But lately I discovered that you can go for a workout and drink Gatorade and still lose weight. Gatorade sure tastes better than water when you need refreshment!Mostly, any drink with the refined sugar of soda will probably give you gallstones. My dad got gallstones from drinking regular soda.

But if diet soda doesn't have any refined sugar - how can you get gallstones from it? Because the only soda I drink is diet. Diet soda should have some hope.

Hey Doctor Morbius -- how is the field of computer science? In terms of getting a job nowadays ? I once thought about changing my field from Mechanical Engineering to computer science but now that's gone. I think the CS field is overcrowded and hard now especially after the Dot Com bust, Y2K problem, and the overseas shift of work.

I also saw your post from the "other hobbies" thread and I build loudspeakers too. I design speakers in ProEngineer CAD, cut them out using a table saw, use LsPCAD to design the crossover. Truthfully my first pair is still under construction - crossover design and speaker testing is the hard part. I'm using Scanspeak D2905 tweeters and Dynaudio 17W75 woofer - should be real sweet.
You're still better off staying away from diet soda. Gatorade is fine during or immediately after exercise. There are better potions and brews out there though.

The field of computer science stinks. I've been unemployed for 3 years since I got canned due to a merger and susequent downsizing. I'm pretty bitter about it too as I'm not quite old enough to retire completely. I've even looked for work outside of IT and haven't had any luck. Once they ask how much I used to make or see my grade point average they balk and say I'm overqualified. Even tried to get entry level work at a few bike shops last Spring but somehow I was overqualified, even though I have never worked on bikes professionally. If I could go back in time and do it over again I would have studied nursing. There are many nurses working only weekends pulling in $65,000 a year. Patients cannot be shipped overseas like manufacturing or tech jobs. We're going to end up in a two tier society within a few decades and all of the progress that came after WW2 will be lost.

Sounds like your speakers will be pretty high end compared to the Dayton 8's I just finished. I didn't really care for building the cabinets. It was just too time consuming and dusty. That MDF powder just goes everywhere! That was the first pair of speakers that I had built from scratch. I've refurbished others though. Am currently refurbishing a pair of older DCM Time Frame 500's with some Vifa mid-woofers and Morel MDT-20 tweets. Also upgraded the caps to Solen. They should sounds pretty sweet when finished and positioned properly in a room.

The next speaker project I do will probably be a kit that uses pre-fabbed cabinets. All I'll need to do is router out the holes for the drivers and solder the x-over together. That way I could finish them up in a weekend instead of taking several weeks.

Here's an interesting design that looks quite tempting, although I would think with two 7" mid-woofers a larger cabinet would be more suiting ...

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/dr-k-mtm/index.html

These look interesting too...

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

:D

Ask a doctor they said. Right. You don't need to ask a doctor just read the label. Soda is liquid garbage. Read the label and define all the words on it. If you can pronounce them even. Put something like a nail in a glass of it and see if its there a couple days later. If you understand what is in there diet soda doesn't even make sense to drink.

I am not sure about gall stones but drinking diet soda is not good anyways. Even though it is "diet" is still filled with artificial sugars, which at the end of the day your body will still break down like sugar. And process it like sugar. Even fruit in sugar is broken down the same way. The only difference is sugar in fruit are simple sugars that your body can break down easier and with less stress to your body. Anything that has been processed has to be un-processed in your body after you ingest it.

I am not sure if you develop gall stones from sugar I thought taking too much dairy is the main cause. Anyway, just to be safe stay away from the soda be it regular or diet.

diet soda can actually make you gain weight, in studies they found that artificial sweeteners raised blood sugar levels in rats, also some people think, maybe subconsciously? that they can eat more since they drink diet drinks, in addition artificial sweeteners tend to make people eat more due to lack of calories. Also artificial sweeteners ingested during pregnancy have been linked to higher instances of heart issues in newborn babies, and for some reason more so on the second to be born, and for those not pregnant they can lead to tumors, cancer, thyroid issues, and even weight gain as mentioned earlier. So drink water if you want a true diet drink.

What Froze has said.

Stick to water and you should be OK. Even the flavoured stuff can be pretty nice but make sure you go for the low sugar type.

Also drinking a pint of water when you feel hungry will make the hungry feeling go away for a while. Handy to know if you're one who likes to snack.

Susimi said:
What Froze has said.

Stick to water and you should be OK. Even the flavoured stuff can be pretty nice but make sure you go for the low sugar type.

Also drinking a pint of water when you feel hungry will make the hungry feeling go away for a while. Handy to know if you're one who likes to snack.
I actually knew a person who started a water diet, where they would drink water when they felt hungry between meals and lost 60 pounds. But diets are weird, what may work for one person won't work for another, but staying away from any type of soda, artificially sweetened or not will help you lose weight.

I think the general rule is all things in moderation. The odd soda, even a diet one, every now and again a week will not do much harm, but if it's the preferred drink then yeah it's not gonna help at all.

The person you knew, what were their main meals like? What did they have for their meals and did they do any exercise at all or was it just a diet?

Susimi said:
I think the general rule is all things in moderation. The odd soda, even a diet one, every now and again a week will not do much harm, but if it's the preferred drink then yeah it's not gonna help at all.

The person you knew, what were their main meals like? What did they have for their meals and did they do any exercise at all or was it just a diet?
They added walking which they didn't do before or any other form of physical activity, food wise I think I recall it was on the lines of the Mediterranean diet.

Well I don't drink diet soda but I know for sure that it is no more healthier for you than regular soda is. So maybe you want to cut down on your intake.

After doing some reading it appears that gallstones are not caused by soda, if the stones are yellow in color than the cause is too much cholesterol, if they are black or dark brown than there's too much bilirubin in your bile. But what cause too much bilirubin? Well it's not good, it usually indicates a problem with the liver, or a tumor in the gallbladder, liver, bile duct, or pancreas, also a form of anemia called Hemolytic. If you have the dark colored stones you need to see a doctor asap.

Kidney Stones on the other hand are caused by high amounts of acidity which can be corrected by reducing diet or non diet soda and coffee, plus cut back on red meat, shellfish, and organ meat, and cut back on sugar and corn syrup sweetened drinks or foods, and limit alcohol. and drink lots of water to keep the kidney flushed. So all the fun foods and drinks is basically eliminated! LOL!