Do You Shave Your Legs?

BanditBoyDavid

Jul 14, 2004
I was wondering how many people shave their legs because they cycle. I just started and now I'm curious.

i do, its great isn't it. oh yeh, and i am a guy, gotta clarify that, alot of s like it, and for that matter i like it, but i am gonna start waxing b//c i am gonna start doing TT's and waxing is less time consuming. keep up the shaving it makes you look faster, and makes you feel faster. its easier to put lotion on those speed sticks also. take advantage of it and wear jeans after shaving, peace out.........................
,a totally straight roadie
Seth

BanditBoyDavid said:
I was wondering how many people shave their legs because they cycle. I just started and now I'm curious.

If you just started shaving your legs yes cycling can provide justification to others (although they will still think you are strange and tease you as gay).

Isn't there already a poll about this? ;)

I do. It makes a hell of a difference when riding. Although sometimes I get kind of lazy with it and miss a few days. :rolleyes:

Just shaving your legs unfortunately doesn't provide all the advantages you can get. The solution is depilate your legs (yeah just like the women do :p )
So ask your wife, girlfriend, mom to pass you the hints ;)

ChangMan said:
I do. It makes a hell of a difference when riding. Although sometimes I get kind of lazy with it and miss a few days. :rolleyes:

haha, yea it's funny that people think that shaving your legs makes you faster, for those who don't get why I find that funny; you shave your legs because when you crash your legs heal faster because you don't get infections from all the ingrown hairs etc...
You should only need to shave if you race, otherwise the risk of crashing is extremely low.

I do too. It helps with massage after hard efforts. And, of course, there is the point about cleaning up after a crash. Faster healing, easier to clean. Bandages don't stick to the hairs.

I haven't had very many problems with people making fun of my shaved legs. I guess when they see me roll into work on my bike, they kind of understand.

I don't regularly shave my legs - only tried it once and that was because one leg was already shaved because of knee surgery. I'm thinking about doing it regularly - what is the preferred method and how often?

Smitty said:
haha, yea it's funny that people think that shaving your legs makes you faster, for those who don't get why I find that funny; you shave your legs because when you crash your legs heal faster because you don't get infections from all the ingrown hairs etc...
You should only need to shave if you race, otherwise the risk of crashing is extremely low.

While this is often sited as a legitimate reason (IMO the only one), it is still a pretty weak one... The only reason cyclists shave their legs is vanity.

BASIL BILL: if you want them smooth, then everyday you gotta shave. you can use shaving gel, but for $$$ reasons i prefer cheap hair conditioner. it works just as well and is way cheaper. you may laugh but i like that venus divine razor, but you can use any disposable with two blades and a pivoting head, and i assume you know to start at the ankle and go against the hair

If you race, shave. At some time you WILL go down, and you will appreciate the lack of hair when you remove tape and dressings, plus it's easier to clean the wounds. Another benefit is that your massage therapist will like it too.

I knew about the healing benefits of having clean-shaven legs after a bout of road rash but the massage angle is a good one too and I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the info.

BanditBoyDavid said:
I usually only shave during cycling season, for I figured that would be the only time I crash. This year I crashed twice in the off season once in February with melting snow over the painted lines. and again in April answering a cell phone while ridding. The April Road rash has not completely healed yet it became infected. If I was shaven it the wound would not have been a lot smaller and may not have become infected and would be healed by now.

Now I am thinking of shaving all year long.

P.s. right now I am not shaven because of the would.

For hairy mofos like yours truly...temps climbed over 90 again today. On my lunch ride, my gorilla arms held sweat, got all sticky and just frikkin baked. My legs stayed clean and cool the whole time. :p

shaving your arms makes them look all neat and veiny and muscular when you really start in'. it feels good too, but its just one more thing to shave. i need a 2nd job, just for shaving stuff that's why next week, i wax!

basso97 said:
and again in April answering a cell phone while ridding...

Answering your phone while riding?! Man, what's that all about? I hope it was something urgent. I usually carry my phone when riding but only in case of an emergency.

Basel Bill said:
basso97 said:
and again in April answering a cell phone while ridding...

Answering your phone while riding?! Man, what's that all about? I hope it was something urgent. I usually carry my phone when riding but only in case of an emergency.
I was going to pickup my Motor home out of winter storage and they were calling to see if I was picking it up or they were putting it back in the yard.