Don't blame it on....

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:05:22 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>I appreciate how much trouble it is to work through long posts like that, and I'm not very inclined
>to continue with it either.

>But your arguments were all weak to the point of unsupportability.

Ah, and of course yours aren't. Like your "cameras kill" theory which you've admitted you cannot
prove at all, but you continue to spout despite the fact that you haven't provided any evidence of
even the most basic scientific method underpinning your assertion.

What you are saying, almost in as many words, is that by choosing not to break the speed limit I am
an inherently dangerous driver. You are saying that I would be a safer driver if I exceeded the
speed limit - that is the meat of your argument. I will continue to believe that is a crock until
you provide some substantial evidence to the contrary.

>There's an impartially argued case on web page: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/phone.html

And there we were thinking you couldn't even spell impartial.

Are some drivers safe phoners? We simply do know. Recent research shows that it is an inherent
limitation of the human brain that it cannot process the two kinds of interaction - driving and
talking on a phone - concurrently.

>The RoSPA claim of 19 deaths over 12 years is the most that anyone has.

And it is 19 more directly attributable deaths than speed cameras. The body of research showing
serious degradation of driving performance while talking on the phone is a bloody sight more
compelling than anythign produced - either way - regarding speed cameras. Mobile phone research is
completely repeatable, and has been peer-reviewed.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:46:54 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Guy showed no such thing. All his arguments were weak to the point of non-existance. Read it
>yourself with an open mind.

Sadly in order to believe your cobblers the mind must be not so much open as flapping in the breeze.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:28:33 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>The RoSPA claim of 19 deaths over 12 years is the most that anyone has.

>And it is 19 more directly attributable deaths than speed cameras. The body of research showing
>serious degradation of driving performance while talking on the phone is a bloody sight more
>compelling than anythign produced - either way - regarding speed cameras.

Remind me to tell you about the sleeping Tiger.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:30:56 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:28:33 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>The RoSPA claim of 19 deaths over 12 years is the most that anyone has.

>>And it is 19 more directly attributable deaths than speed cameras. The body of research showing
>>serious degradation of driving performance while talking on the phone is a bloody sight more
>>compelling than anythign produced - either way - regarding speed cameras.

>Remind me to tell you about the sleeping Tiger.

No need to remind me. I've just put it online:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/tiger.html
--

Paul Smith wrote:
> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/tiger.html

Ah, the same tired old ******** restated yet /again/.

- Some drivers keep a lookout for speed cameras

So are bad drivers.

- Some drivers stick to the speed limit more than they used to

So what?

- Some drivers have purchased speed camera location devices

So care more about their license than the law.

- Some drivers have been prosecuted for speeding by speed camera pictures

Hurrah! The more the merrier.

- Some drivers have neglected registration requirements because of speed cameras

And of course they are such upstanding and exemplary citizens that they would never under any
circumstances have broken this law for any other reason. Not.

- Some drivers are angry about speed cameras

And should get off the roads. Angry drivers are dangerous drivers, especially if they are stupid
enough to get angry at street furniture instead of focusing on the real source of the problem, poor
driving standards. But then, as with congestion, the only alternative to blaming the nebulous "them"
is to take responsibility for your own actions, which would never do.

- Some drivers worry about speed cameras

And can avoid all the worry simply by obeying the law. Job done, no more worry.

- Some drivers check their speedo more than they used to

If you can't drive safely and still scan your instruments you are a dangerous driver and should get
off the road.

- Some drivers now think that they will be safe if they stick to the speed limit

If they think that now then they always thought it. They are dangerous drivers.

You seem to have forgotten one or two, though:

- Some drivers are now driving up to 10% slower, giving them more time to scan the road and
avoid hazards
- Some drivers have started to obey the limits rather than aggressively trying to drive as fast as
they think they can get away with
- Some drivers are driving slower so are less likely to kill someone when they crash

Oh, of course you didn't /forget/ as such - you merely discount the possibility that anybody could
possibly drive safely within the speed limit.

--
Guy
===

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:14:12 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Smith wrote:
>> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/tiger.html

>Ah, the same tired old ******** restated yet /again/.

>- Some drivers keep a lookout for speed cameras So are bad drivers.
>- Some drivers stick to the speed limit more than they used to So what?
>- Some drivers have purchased speed camera location devices So care more about their license than
> the law.
>- Some drivers have been prosecuted for speeding by speed camera pictures Hurrah! The more the
> merrier.
>- Some drivers have neglected registration requirements because of speed cameras And of course they
> are such upstanding and exemplary citizens that they would never under any circumstances have
> broken this law for any other reason. Not.
>- Some drivers are angry about speed cameras And should get off the roads. Angry drivers are
> dangerous drivers, especially if they are stupid enough to get angry at street furniture instead
> of focusing on the real source of the problem, poor driving standards. But then, as with
> congestion, the only alternative to blaming the nebulous "them" is to take responsibility for
> your own actions, which would never do.
>- Some drivers worry about speed cameras And can avoid all the worry simply by obeying the law. Job
> done, no more worry.
>- Some drivers check their speedo more than they used to If you can't drive safely and still scan
> your instruments you are a dangerous driver and should get off the road.
>- Some drivers now think that they will be safe if they stick to the speed limit If they think that
> now then they always thought it. They are dangerous drivers.

You can deny the existence or the effect of these factors as much as you like. That won't alter the
fact that they all exist on the roads; Some of them in great numbers.

>You seem to have forgotten one or two, though:
>- Some drivers are now driving up to 10% slower, giving them more time to scan the road and avoid
> hazards
>- Some drivers have started to obey the limits rather than aggressively trying to drive as fast as
> they think they can get away with
>- Some drivers are driving slower so are less likely to kill someone when they crash

>Oh, of course you didn't /forget/ as such - you merely discount the possibility that anybody could
>possibly drive safely within the speed limit.

I frequently drive safely within the speed limit. It isn't a possibility that needs discounting.

It's quite astonishing that you've tried to attack a small and insignificant part of the page, when
the overall message is clear and different. Of course, that really is a strawman.

So what do you think about the tiger; the accidents that don't take place?

And what do you think about drivers' mental priorities? Should they match real risks as closely
as possible?
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:40:22 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

Some seriously dodgy snipping there. Are you so weak in your convictions that you dare not answer
some questions?

>> You can deny the existence or the effect of these factors as much as you like. That won't alter
>> the fact that they all exist on the roads; Some of them in great numbers.

>And you can attribute them to the externalities all you like. That won't alter the fact that it's
>faulty driver reactions which are to blame.

It certainly won't. And so we get to the question of "what are we going to do about it"?

>> I frequently drive safely within the speed limit. It isn't a possibility that needs discounting.

>Really? So why do you go to such enormous lengths to try to persuade others that drivers who are
>"forced" to obey the speed limits will give less attention to their driving and crash?

Because people are dying for nothing.

>> And what do you think about drivers' mental priorities?

>Based on this morning's experience among other things, I think very little of their priorities.
>Unlike you I do not seek to excuse those who assign a higher priority to their own personal
>convenience than the safety of others.

Doh! I don't seek to excuse. I seek to optimise.

So what do you think about optimising drivers' mental priorities?

And a good question which you snipped:

Paul Smith wrote:

>> And you can attribute them to the externalities all you like. That won't alter the fact that it's
>> faulty driver reactions which are to blame.

> It certainly won't. And so we get to the question of "what are we going to do about it"?

Bingo. And the answer to that is to introduce training and retesting for any banned driver, to bring
in short bans for everyday acts of crass stupidity, and to apply this to anyone caught hammering the
brakes in front of a Gatso, because they are demonstrating contempt for both the law and the safety
of others.

The camera is not the problem, inappropriate driver behaviour is the problem. And we won't see a
significant shift in that until many more drivers are much better skilled - starting with the ones
who get caught.

>> So why do you go to such enormous lengths to try to persuade others that drivers who are "forced"
>> to obey the speed limits will give less attention to their driving and crash?

> Because people are dying for nothing.

Pointless emotive drivel. Nobody is dying because of speed cameras. Even you have admitted that you
have no evidence of a causal link, and neither does anyone else. People are dying because bad
drivers drive badly, so let's take them off the road and not let them back on until they are trained
to a higher degree. People are dying because of mobile phone use on the move. People are dying
because drivers are lovely and safe in their coccoons and don't give a thought to how vulnerable
non-motorised road users are. People are dying because a moment of selfishness or aggression can
have appalling consequences.

> Doh! I don't seek to excuse. I seek to optimise.

Looks a lot like excusing based on your output here and on the website.

> So what do you think about optimising drivers' mental priorities?

You know my views on that, I've stated them more than once. Drivers' priorities are focused on too
much on self and not enough on other road users. "Think!" is a good slogan. Showing graphic pictures
of the carnage caused by thoughtlessness is good, but it has a downside of scaring those who
shouldn't be scared. There is no quick fix. But an overall and consistent reduction in traffic
speeds would make the traffic less threatening all round.

> And a good question which you snipped:

If you give me the "which you snipped" **** one more time I will simply kf you. Clearly you enjoy a
bit of textual fencing, otherwise you wouldn't keep coming back for more, and so for themost part do
I. If I choose not to respond to a particular point for whatever reason (usually because we've
discussed it recently and at length) and you would rather I did, then kindly say so in a less
obnoxious manner.

> So what do you think about the tiger; the accidents that don't take place?

I raised that point myself a long time ago, and addressed it. But, for the record, driving is like
walking along a cliff edge. The closer to the edge you walk, the more likely you are to fall over.
The answer is to move away from the edge. That means driving less aggressively, with more
anticipation and with better awareness of your surroundings. I find, along with many other people
(including Paul Ripley, assuming that he drives as he wrtes, and it would be rather embarrassing for
him if he didn't) that this is best achieved within the bounds of the law and rules of the road,
specifically including the speed limit.

Here's one reason: if you are trying to go as fast as you can, you are constantly frustrated by the
car in front. If you drive at the speed limit you are not in a competition, there is no sense in
which the car in front can frustrate you, because the proprotion of people who drive significantly
below the limit is low. And in any case you have already schooled your mind to accept external
influences on your speed rather than trying to overcome them, so you are more likely to be patient.
This technique works well for
me. Driving is hugely less stressful than it used to be because I am concentrating on the road, the
surroundings, hazards and so on instead of the **** of the car in front.

--
Guy
===

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:03:26 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> It certainly won't. And so we get to the question of "what are we going to do about it"?

>Bingo. And the answer to that is to introduce training and retesting for any banned driver, to
>bring in short bans for everyday acts of crass stupidity, and to apply this to anyone caught
>hammering the brakes in front of a Gatso, because they are demonstrating contempt for both the law
>and the safety of others.

Nah, not the banned. The accident causers. (I'll give you the banned, but only if we can train and
test the accident causers first.)

>The camera is not the problem, inappropriate driver behaviour is the problem. And we won't see a
>significant shift in that until many more drivers are much better skilled - starting with the ones
>who get caught.

Starting with the ones who crash. (But yes... we're close)

>>> So why do you go to such enormous lengths to try to persuade others that drivers who are
>>> "forced" to obey the speed limits will give less attention to their driving and crash?

>> Because people are dying for nothing.

>Pointless emotive drivel. Nobody is dying because of speed cameras. Even you have admitted that you
>have no evidence of a causal link, and neither does anyone else. People are dying because bad
>drivers drive badly, so let's take them off the road and not let them back on until they are
>trained to a higher degree. People are dying because of mobile phone use on the move. People are
>dying because drivers are lovely and safe in their coccoons and don't give a thought to how
>vulnerable non-motorised road users are. People are dying because a moment of selfishness or
>aggression can have appalling consequences.

I sincerely believe people are dying for nothing as a result of speed cameras and the policies which
support them. It isn't emotive drivel. It's my motivation.

You're right, I can't prove it, but the evidence is increasing fast.

I'm approaching the thing from the level of policy, and from there bad drivers are a fact you have
to live with. You can't wish them away. You have to make a plan which will change them. But the
effect of present strategy is to manufacture them. We're waking the tiger.

>> Doh! I don't seek to excuse. I seek to optimise.

>Looks a lot like excusing based on your output here and on the website.

If you can see anything on the web site that appears to excuse bad driving, I'd be very pleased to
correct it. There's not supposed to be any such thing there. [I don't want to get into the semantic
argument about: "Is it bad driving to exceed the speed limit". I don't consider it is.]

>> So what do you think about optimising drivers' mental priorities?

>You know my views on that, I've stated them more than once. Drivers' priorities are focused on too
>much on self and not enough on other road users. "Think!" is a good slogan. Showing graphic
>pictures of the carnage caused by thoughtlessness is good, but it has a downside of scaring those
>who shouldn't be scared. There is no quick fix. But an overall and consistent reduction in traffic
>speeds would make the traffic less threatening all round.

So you agree that the best possible priorities in drivers will lead to the lowest accident rate?

>> And a good question which you snipped:

>If you give me the "which you snipped" **** one more time I will simply kf you. Clearly you enjoy a
>bit of textual fencing, otherwise you wouldn't keep coming back for more, and so for themost part
>do I. If I choose not to respond to a particular point for whatever reason (usually because we've
>discussed it recently and at length) and you would rather I did, then kindly say so in a less
>obnoxious manner.

<shrug> Kindly snip carefully.

>> So what do you think about the tiger; the accidents that don't take place?

>I raised that point myself a long time ago, and addressed it. But, for the record, driving is like
>walking along a cliff edge. The closer to the edge you walk, the more likely you are to fall over.
>The answer is to move away from the edge. That means driving less aggressively, with more
>anticipation and with better awareness of your surroundings.

Good. It's a rather crumbly cliff edge. But there are also dangers if you stray too far away from
it. A constant balancing act.

>I find, along with many other people (including Paul Ripley, assuming that he drives as he wrtes,
>and it would be rather embarrassing for him if he didn't) that this is best achieved within the
>bounds of the law and rules of the road, specifically including the speed limit.

Sticking to the speed limit is fine. I've got no problem with that. It helps if the limits
are sensible.

But putting numerical speed near the top of a driver's priority list brings significant new dangers.
Up until about 1990 we had it just about perfect. Now things have become dangerously distorted.

>Here's one reason: if you are trying to go as fast as you can, you are constantly frustrated by the
>car in front.

Attitude. Other vehicles don't frustrate me.

>If you drive at the speed limit you are not in a competition, there is no sense in which the car in
>front can frustrate you, because the proprotion of people who drive significantly below the limit
>is low. And in any case you have already schooled your mind to accept external influences on your
>speed rather than trying to overcome them, so you are more likely to be patient. This technique
>works well for
>me. Driving is hugely less stressful than it used to be because I am concentrating on the road,
> the surroundings, hazards and so on instead of the **** of the car in front.

I don't find driving in the least stressful. I think it's attitude.
--

Paul Smith wrote:

>> Bingo. And the answer to that is to introduce training and retesting for any banned driver, to
>> bring in short bans for everyday acts of crass stupidity, and to apply this to anyone caught
>> hammering the brakes in front of a Gatso, because they are demonstrating contempt for both the
>> law and the safety of others.

> Nah, not the banned. The accident causers. (I'll give you the banned, but only if we can train and
> test the accident causers first.)

Fits within my proposed model. Anybody found to have caused an accident through driving without due
care is put through the automatic ban procedure. Seven day ban for a minor act of stupidity
resulting in a crash - and much more serious consequences, as now, for leaving the scene.

>> The camera is not the problem, inappropriate driver behaviour is the problem. And we won't see a
>> significant shift in that until many more drivers are much better skilled - starting with the
>> ones who get caught.

> Starting with the ones who crash. (But yes... we're close)

Including the ones who crash.

> I sincerely believe people are dying for nothing as a result of speed cameras and the policies
> which support them. It isn't emotive drivel. It's my motivation.

So you keep saying, but as you yourself admit you have absolutely no substantive proof. I, on the
other hand, sincerely believe that a speed camera cannot in and of itself cause a crash. An unsafe
driver reacting inappropiately to a speed camera can cause a crash, just as they can cause a crash
by hammering the brakes as they realise that the car at the front of the line at 69mph in lane 1 has
stripes on the side, but that's not the fault of the enforcement mechanism, its the fault of a bad
driver. And if they cause a crash by doing it, guess what? Driving without due care, automatic ban
of a length decided by the courts (could be a few days) and retraining and retest. Bad driver has
skills increased. A good road safety outcome from a bad situation of the bad driver's own making.

> You're right, I can't prove it, but the evidence is increasing fast.

There is not evidence. Research evidence which focuses on the cameras themselves is so contradictory
as to be worthless in any direction, and the statistical "evidence" is pure supposition and based
thus far on preconceptions not scientific method.

> I'm approaching the thing from the level of policy, and from there bad drivers are a fact you have
> to live with. You can't wish them away.

You can wish them away, y'know. Or rather, you can train / test / ban them away.

> You have to make a plan which will change them. But the effect of present strategy is to
> manufacture them.

Rot. Right through my life I have seen a succession of Government initiatives with more or less the
same message. The Government has never seriously tackled driver skills, and has always targeted
speeding. Nobody in power has the guts to tell people the bald truth, which is that aggressive and
impatient driving is selfish, dangerous and stupid.

And even if they did, at the moment the cretinous ones would simply assume that this was aimed at
the average or below average skill driver, and 85% of them think they are above average. Which is
statistically highly improbable. You have disputed that, and you are welcome to your view, but
variables within populations tend to be distributed in broadly consistent ways (not for nothing is
it called a "normal" curve) and any curve which accurately puts 85% of a randomly distributed
population above the mean level is highly *abnormal*. To say nothing of all the other research on
the same subject which comes up with the same answer. I found four surveys on one page of one paper
giving consistently similar results. Most drivers rate their own skills higher than those of most
other drivers.

And I know that you don't believe that this widespread overconfidence is dangerous, but I think it
is. They are driving under the influence of Jeremy Clarkson, and it has got to stop.

>> Looks a lot like excusing based on your output here and on the website.

> If you can see anything on the web site that appears to excuse bad driving, I'd be very pleased to
> correct it.

The whole page on "reasons" why speed cameras kill does precisely that. Instead of pointing out
that a driver who brakes sharply for a camera is a dangerous driver, for example, you appear to
blame the camera.

> So you agree that the best possible priorities in drivers will lead to the lowest accident rate?

I think the most important change in priorities is away from "self" - once that is achieved
everything else is a given. Selfish driving is bad driving, and bad driving is almost always
selfish driving.

> <shrug> Kindly snip carefully.

I do. I snip that which has been discussed at length. Like I say, if you want to discuss something
which you think important and I don't, you can do it is a less insulting manner or you can join
Duhg. I'm sure you have lots to talk about.

> Good. It's a rather crumbly cliff edge. But there are also dangers if you stray too far away from
> it. A constant balancing act.

Disagree strongly. There are no dangers if you do not stray from good practice. Driving at 3mph is
still right at the cliff edge because you are failing to take account of other road users. Driving
at 30mph in a 30 zone (or at 26mph, or whatever) is not close to the cliff edge because it's correct
practice. Anyone who doesn't expect people to be driving within the speed limit and drive
accordingly is a dangerous driver and should be taken away, retrained and retested.

> Sticking to the speed limit is fine. I've got no problem with that. It helps if the limits are
> sensible.

A denate which is sadly hampered by the anti-Gatso brigade. Any debate on speed limits falls at the
first hurdle: much evidence shows that people will merely exceed the new, higher limit by the same
margin. I have also seen trials where increasing the limit reduced the average speed, but these are
rare and old. Right now the problem is that most drivers understand that speeding past their own
fornt door is antisocial, but fail to recognise that their own speeding past someone else's front
door is equally antisocial. You have no doubt seen the research which shows that drivers drive
slower withn 1/2 mile of home than on similar roads which are further away.

> But putting numerical speed near the top of a driver's priority list brings significant new
> dangers. Up until about 1990 we had it just about perfect. Now things have become dangerously
> distorted.

Until 1990 we did not have it anything like perfect. Thousands were killed and tens of thousands
seriously injured every year. And your much-hyped decline in the rate of reduction of injuries
caused by cameras started in about 1960.

>> Here's one reason: if you are trying to go as fast as you can, you are constantly frustrated by
>> the car in front.

> Attitude. Other vehicles don't frustrate me.

Or me, because i drive sedately these days, but they sure as hell frustrate most drivers - just ask
any cyclist (he said striving manfully to introduce some on-topic content).

> I don't find driving in the least stressful. I think it's attitude.

The BMA finds that most drivers do. And yes, it is an attitude. And that's the first thing to change
- get rid of the selfishness and aggression.

--
Guy
===

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:56:39 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Bingo. And the answer to that is to introduce training and retesting for any banned driver, to
>>> bring in short bans for everyday acts of crass stupidity, and to apply this to anyone caught
>>> hammering the brakes in front of a Gatso, because they are demonstrating contempt for both the
>>> law and the safety of others.

>> Nah, not the banned. The accident causers. (I'll give you the banned, but only if we can train
>> and test the accident causers first.)

>Fits within my proposed model. Anybody found to have caused an accident through driving without due
>care is put through the automatic ban procedure. Seven day ban for a minor act of stupidity
>resulting in a crash - and much more serious consequences, as now, for leaving the scene.

I don't care about the ban. (I don't think it changes the mindset) And is has the disadvantage of
requiring a court. I'd let the police send for training in much the same way as they operate police
cautions now. Anyone who declined would be sent to court.

Serious offences would go to court of course.

>> I sincerely believe people are dying for nothing as a result of speed cameras and the policies
>> which support them. It isn't emotive drivel. It's my motivation.

>So you keep saying, but as you yourself admit you have absolutely no substantive proof.

I can know without proof. We'll see it come out, maybe this year, maybe next. There's something
interesting happening that I can't tell you about.

>I, on the other hand, sincerely believe that a speed camera cannot in and of itself cause a crash.
>An unsafe driver reacting inappropiately to a speed camera can cause a crash, just as they can
>cause a crash by hammering the brakes as they realise that the car at the front of the line at
>69mph in lane 1 has stripes on the side, but that's not the fault of the enforcement mechanism, its
>the fault of a bad driver. And if they cause a crash by doing it, guess what? Driving without due
>care, automatic ban of a length decided by the courts (could be a few days) and retraining and
>retest. Bad driver has skills increased. A good road safety outcome from a bad situation of the bad
>driver's own making.

>> You're right, I can't prove it, but the evidence is increasing fast.

>There is not evidence. Research evidence which focuses on the cameras themselves is so
>contradictory as to be worthless in any direction, and the statistical "evidence" is pure
>supposition and based thus far on preconceptions not scientific method.

Of course there's evidence.

>> I'm approaching the thing from the level of policy, and from there bad drivers are a fact you
>> have to live with. You can't wish them away.

>You can wish them away, y'know. Or rather, you can train / test / ban them away.

>> You have to make a plan which will change them. But the effect of present strategy is to
>> manufacture them.

>Rot. Right through my life I have seen a succession of Government initiatives with more or less the
>same message. The Government has never seriously tackled driver skills, and has always targeted
>speeding. Nobody in power has the guts to tell people the bald truth, which is that aggressive and
>impatient driving is selfish, dangerous and stupid.

>And even if they did, at the moment the cretinous ones would simply assume that this was aimed at
>the average or below average skill driver, and 85% of them think they are above average. Which is
>statistically highly improbable. You have disputed that, and you are welcome to your view, but
>variables within populations tend to be distributed in broadly consistent ways (not for nothing is
>it called a "normal" curve) and any curve which accurately puts 85% of a randomly distributed
>population above the mean level is highly *abnormal*. To say nothing of all the other research on
>the same subject which comes up with the same answer. I found four surveys on one page of one paper
>giving consistently similar results. Most drivers rate their own skills higher than those of most
>other drivers.

>And I know that you don't believe that this widespread overconfidence is dangerous, but I think it
>is. They are driving under the influence of Jeremy Clarkson, and it has got to stop.

I'd accept widespread overconfidence as dangerous. But I don't think we've got it. You do.

>>> Looks a lot like excusing based on your output here and on the website.

>> If you can see anything on the web site that appears to excuse bad driving, I'd be very pleased
>> to correct it.

>The whole page on "reasons" why speed cameras kill does precisely that. Instead of pointing out
>that a driver who brakes sharply for a camera is a dangerous driver, for example, you appear to
>blame the camera.

Nah. That's you spinning. I talk about effects, nothing more. There's no excuse offered.

>> So you agree that the best possible priorities in drivers will lead to the lowest accident rate?

>I think the most important change in priorities is away from "self" - once that is achieved
>everything else is a given. Selfish driving is bad driving, and bad driving is almost always
>selfish driving.

Loads of bad driving isn't actively selfish.

As an aside: It's a funny thing though, that successful extremely selfish driving can be safe. After
all no selfish behaviour would be intended to damage one's property or one's self.

But driver attitude is the biggie. And includes consideration.

>> Good. It's a rather crumbly cliff edge. But there are also dangers if you stray too far away from
>> it. A constant balancing act.

>Disagree strongly. There are no dangers if you do not stray from good practice. Driving at 3mph is
>still right at the cliff edge because you are failing to take account of other road users. Driving
>at 30mph in a 30 zone (or at 26mph, or whatever) is not close to the cliff edge because it's
>correct practice. Anyone who doesn't expect people to be driving within the speed limit and drive
>accordingly is a dangerous driver and should be taken away, retrained and retested.

The cliff edge is speed? I didn't know and I don't think it's a good analogy for speed control.

[snip: can't handle it]

>> But putting numerical speed near the top of a driver's priority list brings significant new
>> dangers. Up until about 1990 we had it just about perfect. Now things have become dangerously
>> distorted.

>Until 1990 we did not have it anything like perfect. Thousands were killed and tens of thousands
>seriously injured every year. And your much-hyped decline in the rate of reduction of injuries
>caused by cameras started in about 1960.

Up until 1993 we had year on year 5% reduction in the fatality rate. WE'll never get much more, and
that's the basis for claiming "just about perfect".

>> I don't find driving in the least stressful. I think it's attitude.

>The BMA finds that most drivers do. And yes, it is an attitude. And that's the first thing to
>change - get rid of the selfishness and aggression.

Ok, so long as inattention and carelessness are close behind.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:46:54 +0000 someone who may be Paul Smith <[email protected]>
wrote this:-

>>Thanks for that Guy, I take my h*lm*t off to you for a taking the time and effort to show what a
>>load of cobblers PS spouts.
>
>Guy showed no such thing.

On the contrary. He has shown devotion beyond the call of duty and deserves some sort of medal.

>All his arguments were weak to the point of non-existance.

That may be your view.

Paul Smith wrote:

>>> I sincerely believe people are dying for nothing as a result of speed cameras and the policies
>>> which support them.

>> So you keep saying, but as you yourself admit you have absolutely no substantive proof.

> I can know without proof.

Scientific method dictates that you can postulate a hypothesis, but until you have proof it remains
a hypothesis - an opinion, not a fact.

> We'll see it come out, maybe this year, maybe next. There's something interesting happening that I
> can't tell you about.

Each successive new piece of "proof" you advance turns out to be more arm-waving. Where are the
plots of casualty rates against average journey distance, mobile use, speeding convictions,
convictions for DWDC, hours of Clarkson on TV and so on.?

>> There is not evidence. Research evidence which focuses on the cameras themselves is so
>> contradictory as to be worthless in any direction, and the statistical "evidence" is pure
>> supposition and based thus far on preconceptions not scientific method.

> Of course there's evidence.

Looking at the sources you cite on your own website, there is no evidence.

> I'd accept widespread overconfidence as dangerous. But I don't think we've got it. You do.

I am not alone in this. It is a widespread view, supported by every piece of research I've seen on
the subject.

>> The whole page on "reasons" why speed cameras kill does precisely that. Instead of pointing out
>> that a driver who brakes sharply for a camera is a dangerous driver, for example, you appear to
>> blame the camera.

> Nah. That's you spinning. I talk about effects, nothing more. There's no excuse offered.

Pointless arguing about it - your language, style, and the issues you choose to take on, indicate
that you are an apologist for speeding. You have repeatedly talked about people braking for Gatsos
as a point against Gatsos, but it's a point against bad drivers not against Gatsos.

> As an aside: It's a funny thing though, that successful extremely selfish driving can be safe.
> After all no selfish behaviour would be intended to damage one's property or one's self.

Disagree strongly - extreme selfishness would allow you to knock over a ped because it wouldn't
damage the car. Like the guy who ran me off the road yesterday - selfish, no danger to his car
because I had to throw myself off the road.

>> Disagree strongly. There are no dangers if you do not stray from good practice. Driving at 3mph
>> is still right at the cliff edge because you are failing to take account of other road users.
>> Driving at 30mph in a 30 zone (or at 26mph, or whatever) is not close to the cliff edge because
>> it's correct practice. Anyone who doesn't expect people to be driving within the speed limit and
>> drive accordingly is a dangerous driver and should be taken away, retrained and retested.

> The cliff edge is speed?

No, the cliff edge is a crash. Speeding is just one of many factors which move you towards the edge.
It's an old quality improvement analogy - the cliff edge is product failure; if you move the mean
quality away, the randomly distributed variations in quality take fewer over the edge. Same with
driving. Crashes are caused primarily because of small risks repeated large number of times, and the
secret to increasing safety is to increase the safety of every road traffic interaction. The safer
the average interaction, the less likely that the variation of factors will take an individual risk
over the cliff edge.

> Up until 1993 we had year on year 5% reduction in the fatality rate. WE'll never get much more,
> and that's the basis for claiming "just about perfect".

As you know, the injury accident rate has been following a smooth and decaying curve for a long
time; the distribution of KSI vs less serious changes slightly, but the accident rate is following
the trend predicted by Smeed, even though Smeed admits it is empirical.

>> The BMA finds that most drivers do. And yes, it is an attitude. And that's the first thing to
>> change - get rid of the selfishness and aggression.

> Ok, so long as inattention and carelessness are close behind.

Seems fair to me :)

--
Guy
===

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:39:17 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> So you keep saying, but as you yourself admit you have absolutely no substantive proof.

>> I can know without proof.

>Scientific method dictates that you can postulate a hypothesis, but until you have proof it remains
>a hypothesis - an opinion, not a fact.

Of course. And so it is with any observations of any phenomena at an early stage.

>> We'll see it come out, maybe this year, maybe next. There's something interesting happening that
>> I can't tell you about.

>Each successive new piece of "proof" you advance turns out to be more arm-waving.

Nah. Evidence is building.

>Where are the plots of casualty rates against average journey distance, mobile use, speeding
>convictions, convictions for DWDC, hours of Clarkson on TV and so on.?

I have some of those. I won't be plotting clarkson.

[snip]

>> I'd accept widespread overconfidence as dangerous. But I don't think we've got it. You do.

>I am not alone in this. It is a widespread view, supported by every piece of research I've seen on
>the subject.

That's false. The research observes without concluding.

>> As an aside: It's a funny thing though, that successful extremely selfish driving can be safe.
>> After all no selfish behaviour would be intended to damage one's property or one's self.

>Disagree strongly - extreme selfishness would allow you to knock over a ped because it wouldn't
>damage the car. Like the guy who ran me off the road yesterday - selfish, no danger to his car
>because I had to throw myself off the road.

This isn't a serious or important point, but many people are extremely car proud, and regard one
scratch is sacrilege. They might selfishly go a hundred miles to avoid a scratch.

>>> Disagree strongly. There are no dangers if you do not stray from good practice. Driving at 3mph
>>> is still right at the cliff edge because you are failing to take account of other road users.
>>> Driving at 30mph in a 30 zone (or at 26mph, or whatever) is not close to the cliff edge because
>>> it's correct practice. Anyone who doesn't expect people to be driving within the speed limit and
>>> drive accordingly is a dangerous driver and should be taken away, retrained and retested.

>> The cliff edge is speed?

>No, the cliff edge is a crash. Speeding is just one of many factors which move you towards the
>edge. It's an old quality improvement analogy - the cliff edge is product failure; if you move the
>mean quality away, the randomly distributed variations in quality take fewer over the edge. Same
>with driving. Crashes are caused primarily because of small risks repeated large number of times,
>and the secret to increasing safety is to increase the safety of every road traffic interaction.
>The safer the average interaction, the less likely that the variation of factors will take an
>individual risk over the cliff edge.

If the cliff edge is a crash, I completely fail to see any benefit in the analogy. Might as well
call a crash a crash.

>> Up until 1993 we had year on year 5% reduction in the fatality rate. WE'll never get much more,
>> and that's the basis for claiming "just about perfect".

>As you know, the injury accident rate has been following a smooth and decaying curve for a long
>time; the distribution of KSI vs less serious changes slightly, but the accident rate is following
>the trend predicted by Smeed, even though Smeed admits it is empirical.

Have you got Smeed anywhere? It's old and not on the net as far as I know. Where do you get
your info?
--

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:47:05 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'd accept widespread overconfidence as dangerous. But I don't think we've got it. You do.

>>> I am not alone in this. It is a widespread view, supported by every piece of research I've seen
>>> on the subject.

>> That's false. The research observes without concluding.

>Semantics. Every survey shows the same or similar results: most drivers surveyed rate their own
>skill levels higher than those of other drivers.

I don't at all agree that it's semantics. It might just be that many driver's usefully underrate the
skills of others. (As we've discussed before)

>> If the cliff edge is a crash, I completely fail to see any benefit in the analogy. Might as well
>> call a crash a crash.

>The value of the analogy is in the millions of steps we take without falling over. The closer we
>are to the edge, the more likely it is that an individual step, placed with the small random
>deviations of all the other steps, wil take us over the edge.

<shrug> I don't have any trouble visualising accident free miles. I still can't see the benefit.
Maybe others feel differently for some reason.

>> Have you got Smeed anywhere? It's old and not on the net as far as I know. Where do you get
>> your info?

>Davis, Death on the Streets.

Can you quote the statement about the (previously discussed) reducing trend? What does it say
exactly? (I'm expecting it to confirm exponential decay)
--

Paul Smith wrote:

>> Each successive new piece of "proof" you advance turns out to be more arm-waving.

> Nah. Evidence is building.

I will be interested to see the first signs of any evidence. None so far, just supposition and
assertion.

>> Where are the plots of casualty rates against average journey distance, mobile use, speeding
>> convictions, convictions for DWDC, hours of Clarkson on TV and so on.?

> I have some of those. I won't be plotting clarkson.

Can't see why not. It would be a powerful argument supporting the introduciton of a new offence of
driving under the influence of Jeremy Clarkson :)

>> I am not alone in this. It is a widespread view, supported by every piece of research I've seen
>> on the subject.

> That's false. The research observes without concluding.

Semantics. Every survey shows the same or similar results: most drivers surveyed rate their own
skill levels higher than those of other drivers.

> If the cliff edge is a crash, I completely fail to see any benefit in the analogy. Might as well
> call a crash a crash.

The value of the analogy is in the millions of steps we take without falling over. The closer we are
to the edge, the more likely it is that an individual step, placed with the small random deviations
of all the other steps, wil take us over the edge.

> Have you got Smeed anywhere? It's old and not on the net as far as I know. Where do you get
> your info?

Davis, Death on the Streets.

--
Guy
===

Paul Smith wrote:

>>> I can know without proof.

>> Scientific method dictates that you can postulate a hypothesis, but until you have proof it
>> remains a hypothesis - an opinion, not a fact.
>
> Of course. And so it is with any observations of any phenomena at an early stage.

You can surmise without proof, but not know.
> This isn't a serious or important point, but many people are extremely car proud, and regard one
> scratch is sacrilege. They might selfishly go a hundred miles to avoid a scratch.

They might also selfishly fail to take avoiding action when they are about to kill a cyclist.

--
Michael MacClancy

Paul Smith wrote:

>> Semantics. Every survey shows the same or similar results: most drivers surveyed rate their own
>> skill levels higher than those of other drivers.

> I don't at all agree that it's semantics. It might just be that many driver's usefully underrate
> the skills of others. (As we've discussed before)

You can't have it both way. If it's useful to underrate other drivers, it is at least as dangerous
to overestimate your own driving. It's a two-way street. It is not credible that 85% of drivers are
genuinely above the average skill level - the research which reveals that 85% reveals either
dangerous overconfidence or dangerous complacency.

>> The value of the analogy is in the millions of steps we take without falling over. The closer we
>> are to the edge, the more likely it is that an individual step, placed with the small random
>> deviations of all the other steps, wil take us over the edge.

> <shrug> I don't have any trouble visualising accident free miles. I still can't see the benefit.
> Maybe others feel differently for some reason.

It's a common enough analogy, used in many different contexts.

>> Davis, Death on the Streets.

> Can you quote the statement about the (previously discussed) reducing trend? What does it say
> exactly? (I'm expecting it to confirm exponential decay)

Possibly. I'll look it up when I get home. Or you can read it in your own copy, it's in chapter 1.
You do have a copy, obviously.

--
Guy
===

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:20:07 -0000, "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Scientific method dictates that you can postulate a hypothesis, but until you have proof it
>>> remains a hypothesis - an opinion, not a fact.

>> Of course. And so it is with any observations of any phenomena at an early stage.

>You can surmise without proof, but not know.

Tell that to someone who predicts the path of a ball they are about to drop.