Duties/Taxes on imported bikes

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
Sorry if this has been posted, I couldn't find it in a search.

I want to import a bike from the US (ie buy online) to Australia and I wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if so what the customs duties/taxes were. Looking at the customs site, I can only guess that a bike falls into the 'general' category which seems to attract a 5% duty plus GST.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Any other traps I should be aware of?

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sorry if this has been posted, I couldn't find it in a search.
>
> I want to import a bike from the US (ie buy online) to Australia and I
> wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if so what the customs
> duties/taxes were. Looking at the customs site, I can only guess that
> a bike falls into the 'general' category which seems to attract a 5%
> duty plus GST.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> Any other traps I should be aware of?
>

> --
> Walrus

I recently imported a mountain bike fork (Rockshox SID Team 2003 ).
$US428 plus US$45 for US$473 total.

Declared Value US$428
Customs Value A$585.42

Customs Duty $17.56
Wine tax $0 (?)
GST $66.44

Total $84 owed.

I work that out at 3% duty and 11.3% GST.

On the back of the form it says:
GST = 10% x (VOTI + WET)

VOTI = (Value of taxable importation (which is the customs value)) plus
(Customs duty) plus (cost of transport).
WET = Wine equalisatin tax (Which in this case doesn't apply)

So that means you actually get double taxed slightly. You pay GST on the
import duty! How rude!

Marty

Marty Wallace said:
"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sorry if this has been posted, I couldn't find it in a search.
>
> I want to import a bike from the US (ie buy online) to Australia and I
> wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if so what the customs
> duties/taxes were. Looking at the customs site, I can only guess that
> a bike falls into the 'general' category which seems to attract a 5%
> duty plus GST.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> Any other traps I should be aware of?
>

> --
> Walrus

I recently imported a mountain bike fork (Rockshox SID Team 2003 ).
$US428 plus US$45 for US$473 total.

Declared Value US$428
Customs Value A$585.42

Customs Duty $17.56
Wine tax $0 (?)
GST $66.44

Total $84 owed.

I work that out at 3% duty and 11.3% GST.

On the back of the form it says:
GST = 10% x (VOTI + WET)

VOTI = (Value of taxable importation (which is the customs value)) plus
(Customs duty) plus (cost of transport).
WET = Wine equalisatin tax (Which in this case doesn't apply)

So that means you actually get double taxed slightly. You pay GST on the
import duty! How rude!

Marty
Thanks Marty!

The Customs tariff on bicycle components is not the same as the tariff on
complete bicycles. You can ring Customs on 1300 363 263 and they will tell
you exactly what the rate of tarriff will be for a bicycle. See
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376.

Nick

Nick Payne said:
The Customs tariff on bicycle components is not the same as the tariff on
complete bicycles. You can ring Customs on 1300 363 263 and they will tell
you exactly what the rate of tarriff will be for a bicycle. See
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376.

Nick

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Marty Wallace Wrote:
>> "Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Sorry if this has been posted, I couldn't find it in a search.
>> >
>> > I want to import a bike from the US (ie buy online) to Australia and

>> > wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if so what the customs
>> > duties/taxes were. Looking at the customs site, I can only guess

>> that
>> > a bike falls into the 'general' category which seems to attract a 5%
>> > duty plus GST.
>> >
>> > Can anyone shed any light on this?
>> >
>> > Any other traps I should be aware of?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Walrus
>> >

>> I recently imported a mountain bike fork (Rockshox SID Team 2003 ).
>> $US428 plus US$45 for US$473 total.
>>
>> Declared Value US$428
>> Customs Value A$585.42
>>
>> Customs Duty $17.56
>> Wine tax $0 (?)
>> GST $66.44
>>
>> Total $84 owed.
>>
>> I work that out at 3% duty and 11.3% GST.
>>
>> On the back of the form it says:
>> GST = 10% x (VOTI + WET)
>>
>> VOTI = (Value of taxable importation (which is the customs value))
>> plus
>> (Customs duty) plus (cost of transport).
>> WET = Wine equalisatin tax (Which in this case doesn't apply)
>>
>> So that means you actually get double taxed slightly. You pay GST on
>> the
>> import duty! How rude!
>>
>> Marty

> Thanks Marty!
>

> --
> Walrus

the trick is to get the person packaging it to put the declared value at a much lower number than reality (sorry mfhor)

Walrus said:
I want to import a bike from the US (ie buy online) to Australia and I wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if so what the customs duties/taxes were. Looking at the customs site, I can only guess that a bike falls into the 'general' category which seems to attract a 5% duty plus GST.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Any other traps I should be aware of?

Havent imported a bike but a couple of musical instruments over the years. Their fairly straight forward but the bit that irks me is the import duty and taxes on the PACKAGING that is going to get chucked in the bin.
No duty if the sender declares that the packaging is second hand. It hurts paying $30 for a load of cardboard, worms and bubble wrap. Bizzare

Hugh