how taxes encourage driving ...

On 2005-12-22, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
> understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
> earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
> car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
>
> The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
> they have to get the k's. Insane ...

The logic is straightforward. If you lease a car, there are two ways of
working out the fringe benefits tax liability: a logbook (keep tabs of
what mileage is travelled, and what percentage is business related), and
statutory.

If you go with the logbook, you need to use the car primarily for
business use, or you get slammed with FBT. So most people opt for the
statutory option. With that, the logic goes, the more kms you travel,
the more likely it is that a significant proportion of them are business
related. So the more you drive, the less FBT you pay; there's a strong
incentive to try to get your mileage up over the statutory limits of
15,000 km; 25000 km; and 40000 km, especially if you're only a few km
short.

Having said all that, you can pay a portion of the running costs out of
post-tax salary. If you do that, the amount of FBT you get slugged with
goes down by the amount of post-tax dollars you put in. So if you're up
for $15,000 in FBT, you can pay $15,000 out of post-tax dollars, and
your FBT liability drops to nothing.

I looked at this as an option when I started full time work; I came to
the conclusion that I didn't drive enough to make it worthwhile, and I
didn't want to increase my driving to do so.

Note: just because I understand the logic of the reducing FBT costs
doesn't mean that I agree with the setup. We'd be better off without
novated leases, in my opinion.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bleve wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
>> understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
>> earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
>> car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
>>
>> The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
>> they have to get the k's. Insane ...

> That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought it
> was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid car,
> why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I already
> knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like that - yes
> he was already my ex at the time.)
>
> Tam

Tamyka, I have quite a large penis, so your 'small penis' comment does not
offend me personally. This isn't the first time you've made reference to a
small penis in an obviously derogatory manner. Is this really necessary? I
have a preference for a certain size of breasts on a female, but I don't put
down those who don't fit my liking. You may have been referring to the
small penis of your ex boyfriend, but I'm sure there are males on this
newsgroup who have a small penis who may not appreciate your words. Another
instance I recall is when you claimed a random car driver had a small penis.
He may have annoyed you by cutting you off or something similar, but did you
really know his penis size? And did you need to make this claim on a
bicycle newgroup?

Rod

"Rodney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Bleve wrote:
>>>
>>> Is anyone else here amazed by the way novated leases work? My
>>> understanding is that they're basically a tax dodge for high income
>>> earners, that requires that the upperclass welfare recipient drive the
>>> car for at least 26,000km a year to keep the tax break.
>>>
>>> The people I know with novated leases drive *everywhere* simply because
>>> they have to get the k's. Insane ...

>> That's what my ex had, I think. He was so proud. I told him I thought it
>> was stupid, and he was stupid, and I wasn't impressed by a stupid car,
>> why didn't he get a bike instead? (I may have also told him I already
>> knew he had a small penis so he didn't need to prove it like that - yes
>> he was already my ex at the time.)
>>
>> Tam

> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis, so your 'small penis' comment does not
> offend me personally. This isn't the first time you've made reference to
> a small penis in an obviously derogatory manner. Is this really
> necessary? I have a preference for a certain size of breasts on a female,
> but I don't put down those who don't fit my liking. You may have been
> referring to the small penis of your ex boyfriend, but I'm sure there are
> males on this newsgroup who have a small penis who may not appreciate your
> words. Another instance I recall is when you claimed a random car driver
> had a small penis. He may have annoyed you by cutting you off or something
> similar, but did you really know his penis size? And did you need to make
> this claim on a bicycle newgroup?
>
> Rod

I just did a group search using 'tamyka penis', it proves my point...

Code:
> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis,
Code:
[color=blue][/color]

Tam - does that work as a come-on line:D

Code:
[color=blue][/color]
so your 'small penis' comment does not
> offend me personally.
Code:

Cool. Me either. But then I do have an :eek: :eek: enormous piece of kit:eek: :eek:

Code:
[color=blue][/color]
This isn't the first time you've made reference to
> a small penis in an obviously derogatory manner.
Code:
[color=blue][/color]

This is unfair to Tam. When was the last time anyone mentioned a small penis in a non-derogatory way???

Code:
[color=blue][/color]
Is this really
> necessary?
Code:
[color=blue][/color]

Prob not. But it has given me some killer material to work with :D :D

Code:
[color=blue][/color]
I have a preference for a certain size of breasts on a female,
Code:

mmmmm........boobies.........

Code:
[color=blue][/color]
but I don't put down those who don't fit my liking
Code:
[color=blue][/color]

[sic] "licking" I think I might have just gone across that line. Again. Oh well .... .....

<big sniparoo>

Code:
[color=blue][/color]
Rod
Code:

this is the best bit. A guy called "Rod" is complaining about someone mentioned penises. roflmao. :D :D :D

cheers,
Monsterpenisman

On 2005-12-24, monsterman (aka Bruce)

> Code:
> --------------------
>
> --------------------
>
>> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis,

> Tam - does that work as a come-on line:D
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>
> --------------------

What on earth are doing with this PHP code thingy?

>> so your 'small penis' comment does not
>> offend me personally.

> Cool. Me either. But then I do have an :eek: :eek: enormous piece of
> kit:eek: :eek:

Hey Tam, which of the following sigs are appropriate in this
situation?

However, my preamp still has a meat-driven knob. -- A. de Boer in ASR

Single White Stick-Figure, L12, enjoys long walks by the shore,
cooking up a nice menudo, and bashing small animals with sticks. My
meat sword is enormous. Seeks female Accordian Thief for relationship
and buffs. -- Riff on some game forum

"Whenever someone thinks that they can replace SSL/SSH with something much
better that they designed this morning over coffee, their computer
speakers should generate some sort of penis-shaped sound wave and plunge
it repeatedly into their skulls until they achieve enlightenment."
--Peter Gutmann/Matt Robinson

``Also, whenever a programmer thinks, "Hey, skins, what a cool idea",
their computer's speakers should create some sort of ****-shaped
soundwave and plunge it repeatedly through their skulls.'' -- Makali

Unix isn't just for geeks:
grep && gawk && unzip && strip && touch && finger && mount && fsck \
&& gasp && more && yes && umount && make clean && make mrproper && sleep

Size doesn't matter, resolution matters:
Hmm, I might be able to use that one tonight. -- someone on /.

Happiness is a warm hard disk.

>> This isn't the first time you've made reference to
>> a small penis in an obviously derogatory manner.

> This is unfair to Tam. When was the last time _anyone_ mentioned a
> small penis in a non-derogatory way???

And you don't have to be female to use it.

"Hey, need to get home 5 seconds earlier so you can go beat your wife
sooner because she thinks your **** is too small?" Haven't yet
compressed it into a 5 second sound bite.

--
TimC
> I have very little knowledge of goats and I _really_ wish people would
> start to trust me on this.

We trust your knowledge of goats. We also trust you *on* goats. We don't
trust you *with* goats. -- Satya to Jim in ASR

On 2005-12-24, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> Unix isn't just for geeks:
> grep && gawk && unzip && strip && touch && finger && mount && fsck \
> && gasp && more && yes && umount && make clean && make mrproper && sleep

I am shocked. Absolutely and utterly shocked. In this day and age,
surely that should be:

grep && gawk && unzip && strip && touch && finger && latex && mount && \

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:37:00 +1100, Rodney wrote:

> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis, so your 'small penis' comment does not
> offend me personally. This isn't the first time you've made reference to a
> small penis in an obviously derogatory manner. Is this really necessary? I
> have a preference for a certain size of breasts on a female, but I don't put
> down those who don't fit my liking. You may have been referring to the
> small penis of your ex boyfriend, but I'm sure there are males on this
> newsgroup who have a small penis who may not appreciate your words.

FWIW, we shouldn't be that sensitive about it. Most penises are of a
similar size when erect, but vary widely when flaccid.

Rodney wrote:

> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis, so your 'small penis' comment
> does not offend me personally.

How many have you compared it to?

Theo

Nice one FD. I'm loving this thread, both OFF and ON themes.

Salary sacrifice is the term for this deal, which I won't describe in detail other than to say it allows for payment of certain costs with dollars from salary prior to tax being taken out. This will generally result in a lower taxable income. It is most attractive for those on higher income levels. Other items which can be treated similarly are purchas of lap top (not desktop????), HECS fees, (I think). May be others too.

Clearly in a car oriented society like ours, I bet the car is the most commonly packaged item.

The concern is that this deal make driving cars and the associated risks more likely. What we really need is a deal to make bike riding equally attractive as driving (or at least more attractive than it is (to the un-converted)).

I work for an employer that is about to buy some bikes to encourage riding between a few CBD sites. For a number of reasons I am not confident about the success of the program. (Not well planned, risk of injury will still be a problem for the organisation - first person to be injured by E McGee et al will see the end of the sceme, poor end of journey facilities). The cateye deal is much better and carries less risk in some ways and truely encourages more riding by providing a direct incentive.

Need more thought on this one and how similar schemes could be designed and promoted.

Dee Dub.

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rodney wrote:
>
>> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis, so your 'small penis' comment
>> does not offend me personally.

> How many have you compared it to?
>
> Theo

I haven't compared it, but I've seen the results it gives.

Rod

Rods wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote
>> Rodney wrote:

>>> Tamyka, I have quite a large penis, so your 'small penis' comment
>>> does not offend me personally.

>> How many have you compared it to?

> I haven't compared it, but I've seen the results it gives.

So your girlfriends have compared it then. Are those tears of pain, joy, or
suppressed laughter?

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rods wrote:

>>> How many have you compared it to?

>> I haven't compared it, but I've seen the results it gives.

> So your girlfriends have compared it then. Are those tears of pain, joy,
> or suppressed laughter?
>
> Theo

Is this what you wonder about yourself? You seem spiteful with your
accusations. Why is this? I don't have any sexual problems, but I am aware
that they exist in some people. Dangerous drivers are a bad thing. I
merely suggested that this 'bad thing' is not associated with a man having a
small penis - This, to a man with a small penis, may further suggest that a
small penis is a bad thing also.

Rod