Fat grams for weight loss

Mtventoux

Jun 30, 2005
I've been searching, but cant find the specific info on how many grams of fat, protein and carbs one should strive to eat for a good weight loss program. I understand caloric deficit, and bmr, etc...

Looking for the numbers to target for grams of each food, and the percentages one should strive for in a good weight loss diet.

Listen if you whant to lose weight you need to eat lot of carbohydrate proteins you can drink whatever you can eat whatever the only thing THAT YOU CANT EAT IS FAT. ZERO FAT 000

Maroje said:
Listen if you whant to lose weight you need to eat lot of carbohydrate proteins you can drink whatever you can eat whatever the only thing THAT YOU CANT EAT IS FAT. ZERO FAT 000
I used to believe that early in my competitive years, but certain fats are necessary in a balanced diet even for weight loss or body fat loss.

EFA's are "essential" fatty acids and will not interfere with losing weight as long as the fat calorie numbers are low, which is the question of the OP.

Flax oil
Fish oil
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Safflower Oil
MCT's (coconut oil) medium chain triglycerides
.....and others

Felt_Rider said:
I used to believe that early in my competitive years, but certain fats are necessary in a balanced diet even for weight loss or body fat loss.

EFA's are "essential" fatty acids and will not interfere with losing weight as long as the fat calorie numbers are low, which is the question of the OP.

Flax oil
Fish oil
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Safflower Oil
MCT's (coconut oil) medium chain triglycerides
.....and others
very true, in fact fats are needed to break down certain nutrients your body needs! it's all about how many calories to take in verses what you are using. Chris Carmichel's Food for Fitness has some good planning factors to help you set guidelines for what you need to take in in each nutrient catagory.

HR

Maroje said:
In addition to what a couple of other has already added, you should also consider that the body adapts to burning whatever fuel you give it. If you only give the body karbs and protein, the amount of enzymes that break down fat is reduced, and your body will burn less of the fat on your body as well.

Research shows that eating a high-fat diet increases the amount of enzymes that break down fat, and this (high-fat diet) is also used by some ultra-endurance athletes before a competition because it helps them preserve glycogen during the race.

It's also worth noting that fat (and protein) lower the glycemic index of the meal you are eating. It's well known that a high glycemig index (which is caused by sugars, karbs) hinders the fat-burning process and converts karbs into fat, while a low glycemic index (less karbs, karbs with low glycemic index, protein, fat) keeps the fat-burning engine running.

It's probably easier to gain weight from eating only karbs, than it is to gain weight from eating a well balanced diet.
_________
CycleFast

CycleFast said:
In addition to what a couple of other has already added, you should also consider that the body adapts to burning whatever fuel you give it. If you only give the body karbs and protein, the amount of enzymes that break down fat is reduced, and your body will burn less of the fat on your body as well.

Research shows that eating a high-fat diet increases the amount of enzymes that break down fat, and this (high-fat diet) is also used by some ultra-endurance athletes before a competition because it helps them preserve glycogen during the race.

It's also worth noting that fat (and protein) lower the glycemic index of the meal you are eating. It's well known that a high glycemig index (which is caused by sugars, karbs) hinders the fat-burning process and converts karbs into fat, while a low glycemic index (less karbs, karbs with low glycemic index, protein, fat) keeps the fat-burning engine running.

It's probably easier to gain weight from eating only karbs, than it is to gain weight from eating a well balanced diet.
_________
CycleFast
not sure I've read research that agrees with 100% of all that about eating a high fat diet making for a body that is better at burning fat...

Eating a balanced diet is very important and goes a long way towards heading a lot of problems off before they get a chance to start. It is true about foods that are low on the glycemic index tending to cause your blood sugar from making a rapid drop. The rapid drop, or “crash”, is directly related to causing a hunger response, whether you are actually hungry or not.

It’s easy to “over dose” on carbs because they are virtually every where. For example if you eat a box of fat free cookies, the trace amounts of fat you did eat will not be an issue, the 1500 calories in carbohydrates will be! The energy not used by your body will be converted into fat for that special rainy day our bodies have been designed to prepare for. This over consumption is a serious problem. Once the energy is stored as fat getting it out to use is involved process. I’ll liken it to this; if burning sugars (simple carbs) is like burning gasoline, then burning Complex carbs is like burning news papers, burning alcohol and protein calories would be like burning denim pants, and burning fat is like burning wet denim. It’s slow and cumbersome, and conditions need to be right…

Belwo you can see how fat has gotten such a bad rap;

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories.

So the next time you are out eating thick crust pizza with bread sticks and washing it down with a few beers. You will no doubt have taken your fat gram intake for the day past the limit, but you will take on many excess calories in carbohydrates, and alcohol, that will probably exceed your goals for the day as well – the bad part with those calories is there will be virtually no nutitioanl value associated with the calories taken in form the beers, and bread sticks…

Okay – it’s time to go to bed

HR

Hookyrider said:
not sure I've read research that agrees with 100% of all that about eating a high fat diet making for a body that is better at burning fat...

Eating a balanced diet is very important and goes a long way towards heading a lot of problems off before they get a chance to start. It is true about foods that are low on the glycemic index tending to cause your blood sugar from making a rapid drop. The rapid drop, or “crash”, is directly related to causing a hunger response, whether you are actually hungry or not.

It’s easy to “over dose” on carbs because they are virtually every where. For example if you eat a box of fat free cookies, the trace amounts of fat you did eat will not be an issue, the 1500 calories in carbohydrates will be! The energy not used by your body will be converted into fat for that special rainy day our bodies have been designed to prepare for. This over consumption is a serious problem. Once the energy is stored as fat getting it out to use is involved process. I’ll liken it to this; if burning sugars (simple carbs) is like burning gasoline, then burning Complex carbs is like burning news papers, burning alcohol and protein calories would be like burning denim pants, and burning fat is like burning wet denim. It’s slow and cumbersome, and conditions need to be right…

Belwo you can see how fat has gotten such a bad rap;

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories.

So the next time you are out eating thick crust pizza with bread sticks and washing it down with a few beers. You will no doubt have taken your fat gram intake for the day past the limit, but you will take on many excess calories in carbohydrates, and alcohol, that will probably exceed your goals for the day as well – the bad part with those calories is there will be virtually no nutitioanl value associated with the calories taken in form the beers, and bread sticks…

Okay – it’s time to go to bed

HR
an easy way to think of it is, calories in--calories out= if you consume more calories than you need, it'll change to fat storage. i know there is alot more to it, BMR, BMI **** like that, but its an easy way to do it