Gloves

Despite the fact that this dooood is using Long Life tires, it sure looks like his tire savers have more than just a little spring pressure on that tire. Perhaps our chap has a tire that's 1/4" out-of-round"? Or perhaps he just knows how tire savers actually function.

TireSaverRear-1.jpg

dhk2 said:
Since switching to GP4000s, haven't had to worry about wiping, and gave up inspecting for bits since nothing seems to stick. So, in my experience, I'd say a more durable puncture-resistant tire beats wiping and picking shards.
I also use Conti GP4000's and if you are saying nothing sticks, you must have a magical set of GP4000's! :lol:

I sometimes remove grains of glass at rest stops and as well at home after rides with a pick type screw driver. In my 20 years of cycling I've never had rubber tire that didn't pick up something. ;)

Haven't you heard?

Tires are so improved that it takes almost Hurculean efforts (or at at the very least something equivalent to Festivus Feats of Strength) to get a puncture and gloving is dubious. Especially if said tire are the revered Continental brand...the one with the self-unravelling sidewalls that are hand made (not to be confused with a Hand Maid) by nymphomaniac frauleins capable of carrying twelve 2-liter steins of ice cold lager against their ample bosoms that are proudly half-displayed over low-cut lederhosen.

Or...

Your tire WILL be punctured before it makes even one complete revolution and gloving is dubious.

I'm still trying to figure out which of the above is true and like I said, You can't lose an arguement when you're on both sides.

Maybe it's the advice that is dubious?

Me? I'm going for the lederhosen and to hell with morons that can't even figure out how tire savers worked (or why they didn't, understandably, in some user's cases).

womens-flirty-lederhosen.jpg

Now...for the customary Airing of Grievances and Ignoring of the Pole! Let the games begin!

Campy, the unreconstructed, unabashed, retro grouch, often imitated never duplicated Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
OK now if I could get a Hand Maid online for the price of a Continental ($45)........... :lol: :D

I hope Helga could show Froze how to correctly install and use tire savers! She can stoke my tandem (Hmmm...that sounds dirty. And I like it!) and glove my tires any day!

Hey, you need to quote my replies so Froze can figure out where he went wrong with his tire savers! My guess is that he somehow tried to float them above the tire and allow the build up of static electricity charge to attract debris away from the tire!

I think he was a fanboi of Nikola Tesla, so there's that theory to work on!

Or maybe his wheels were so out of round that he only cleaned off a 15° arc segment every revolution.

Back in the day those those tire savers did not "spring" themselves onto the tire unless you put too much pressure against the tire, if you put the tire saver on that tight to simulate that then there was too much resistance placed on the tire which one could easily tell by free spinning the tire which when that was done the tire would spin one maybe two revolutions before stopping, so when we adjusted the tire saver it was just barely touching the tire, in fact some adjusted it so it was about a hairs width off the surface of the tire so as not to put any friction on the tire yet still get stickers off. Also if you smashed the tire saver against the tire the tire saver would wear out pretty darn fast. If you look at the picture of the tire saver that our resident ***** posted you'll see that there is too much pressure being applied because the tire is slightly indented where the steel rod is at, this is too much pressure, and like I said if you free spin that tire I doubt it will turn more than 2 revolutions.

You can argue about this all you want but that's how we did it. I'm not arguing with you about how they're used today or how you think they should be used because of some photo, but how we use to use them.

CAMPYBOB said:
Good..ignore this.

"Secondly when I was talking about the tires and wheels not being perfectly round was in regards to using a tire saver not the hand."

So was I.

And not that it matters to you, but which ever device or technique is being referenced, BOTH will work perfectly well with any wheel/tire that is rideable! And yes, you bringing an out-of-round wheel into the discussion was beyond stupid.

"Spring loaded?"

Yes, they are supposed to have light pressure against the tire.

"I use to use those things and their not spring loaded, in fact your suppose to adjust them so that they are just barely touching the tire, if they were spring loaded they would be putting their own force onto the tire, they don't do that. Again not a slam against you but you took it that way."

If they had no pressure on the tire they would just ride over most of the **** they are supposed to scrape off. In setting them up one bent the mount wire to apply some pressure to the tire. The polyurethane tubing keep the wiper in contact with the tire.

"1/16 runout" or none...the wiper was in CONSTANT contact with the tire. What the **** is this? Another ALF '1 MM air gap' moment?

It was the point that YOU brought up in some lame attempt to prove tire savers did not work. And now, compounding your idiotic point, you provide more information that you don't even know how a tire saver works.

Check out this pic:

tiresaver_worn.jpg

The tire saver is mounted at the bottom of a fender. Where gravity would pull it away from the tire. Guess just what the Hell is holding it against the tire tread????

Go on. Guess.

Brilliant!!!

The correct answer is...SPRING PRESSURE!

And if...JUST IF...that tire runs 1/16" or 1/8" out-of-round the damned little tire saver will maintain contact with the face of the tire.

Tu comprende? Si o no?

Wow, I guess because I have no experience or knowledge of tire savers, I didn't realized they were spring loaded. I just thought they were fixed. Goes to show I don't know squat about them. :D

CAMPYBOB said:
Hmmm? No mythological 1 MM air gap! Held in position (David Bowie and Freddie Mercury shouting in unison and almost on-key) Under Pressure!

StickerFlicker.jpg

Hmmm! Looking at that picture I wonder if tire savers are not popular these days due to the drag on the tire. After all the weight weenies started in with the valve caps are too much rotational weight claims. :lol:

There isn't much drag on the tire, although the 'data set crowd' would go to great lengths to prove that two tire savers caused the average 160 pound rider going 18.24 MPH into a 1 MPS breeze would have to put out another .00378 Watts of power to equal the same speed of an identical rider that did not use tire savers.

I think I still have a pair of the urethane tubing type tire savers stashed in a box of old timey bike parts. Maybe I can eBay them off as 'vintage'!

I found that wiping my tires off as soon as I went through something did make a differnce.

When it comes to people with absolutely no inkling of how or why things work it's more like this, Volnix...

[media]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPjcn5KNkckCFYiyHgodm1QIFA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Fimages%2Fbanging%2520head%2520on%2520keyboard&psig=AFQjCNEoJWSJD1b7ZH9mFkBHAIqX2xaK5Q&ust=1447630887842842

After a few posts you realize there is no way, short of a thermonuclear device, anything is going to break through their mostly empty skulls and penetrate their two-cell brains.

At that point, I just start resorting to descriptions of their meaningless and moronic lives and move on...until I run into the next one. And no matter how many times you plead with them not be the next Alf...there is ALWAYS another ALF waiting in line.

I mourn for the human race...