Good grief....

Helen Deborah Vecht quoted:
> Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
> not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
> window when my boys are leaping around in the back.

The writers 4x4 probably isn't more than a couple of years old and is
bound to have rear seat belts. I wonder how her boys can be leaping
around in the back if they are strapped in as required by law.

Danny Colyer <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht quoted:
> > Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
> > not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
> > window when my boys are leaping around in the back.

> The writers 4x4 probably isn't more than a couple of years old and is
> bound to have rear seat belts. I wonder how her boys can be leaping
> around in the back if they are strapped in as required by law.

Even if they can undo their belts, it says little for her powers to
discipline them. We weren't allowed out of our seats as nippers.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Peter B vaguely muttered something like ...
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Peter B vaguely muttered something like ...
>>
>>> <1> The worst offenders for tailgating with lights on full beam were,
>>> yes you guessed, Kensington Tractors. To watch these looneys overtaking
>>> on the hairpins of the Carpathians was interesting, unless they were
>>> approaching head-on of course.

>> Heheheh .. my 'Kensington tractor' is a little different to those, I
>> guess ... It does actually get used, and abused, off-road a _lot_ ... ;)

> Imagine how quickly I stopped laughing after stereotyping 4 x 4 drivers
> and Paul posted pictures of his :)

Heheheh, thought it'd make you laugh.

....and to further add to the stereotype, yes, it has been used to take the
kids to school, but not since February this year.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Tony Raven vaguely muttered something like ...
> Paul - *** wrote:
>>
>> Heheheh .. my 'Kensington tractor' is a little different to those, I
>> guess .... It does actually get used, and abused, off-road a _lot_ ... ;)
>>
>> http://groups.msn.com/LosiPaulsPictures/shoebox.msnw?Page=3
>>
>> The pics on pages 1 and 2 are a little 'tamer' .. ;)

> That's not deep, this is deep - http://www.muddy4x4.com/90wet.htm

It is when you realise it's a slurry pond, and it's sinking .. slowly, but
still sinking ... and the depth in that particular pond is around 30 feet
.... ;)

It took the S2 and the Disco in one of the photo's in tandem to pull us out.

--

Monkey Hanger wrote:

> Not "Shoot them and burn the bodies"?

And hit them with a paving slab. They might grow up to wear b*bshorts,
you know.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ahbut have you read this gem from today's Ham & High...?
>
> --------------------
>
> WHIFF OF HYPOCRISY ON 4X4S

<snipped>

Blimey, it reads like something from the Framley Examiner, please tell me
it's a spoof.

Pete

Paul - *** wrote:

> It is when you realise it's a slurry pond, and it's sinking .. slowly, but
> still sinking ... and the depth in that particular pond is around 30 feet
> .... ;)

What's that rule in off-roading about inspecting and walking it first?

Tony

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:55:51 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]>:

>Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
>not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
>window when my boys are leaping around in the back.

Heh! ArGooey gets everywhere.

So, what this person is saying is, she would rather reverse unsafely
than control the behaviour of her (evidently unrestrained) children.
What an excellent example she sets to the next generation.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Tony Raven vaguely muttered something like ...
> Paul - *** wrote:
>>
>> It is when you realise it's a slurry pond, and it's sinking .. slowly,
>> but still sinking ... and the depth in that particular pond is around 30
>> feet .... ;)
>>

> What's that rule in off-roading about inspecting and walking it first?

We'd gone there the day before and all was well .. Overnight the factory had
started to pump slurry, we came along, following same tracks, saw 'same' 4'
wide 'puddle' before a bank. yesterday it went up the bank fine, today the
wheels spun even before getting to the bank and spun us round dumping us
unceremoniously into the clarts ... We got deeper trying to get out. When
reverse still goes forwards and deeper there's little option but get
recovered .. ;)

--

Paul - *** wrote:
> Tony Raven vaguely muttered something like ...
>
>>Paul - *** wrote:
>>
>>>It is when you realise it's a slurry pond, and it's sinking .. slowly,
>>>but still sinking ... and the depth in that particular pond is around 30
>>>feet .... ;)
>>>

>>What's that rule in off-roading about inspecting and walking it first?

> We'd gone there the day before and all was well .. Overnight the factory had
> started to pump slurry, we came along, following same tracks, saw 'same' 4'
> wide 'puddle' before a bank. yesterday it went up the bank fine, today the
> wheels spun even before getting to the bank and spun us round dumping us
> unceremoniously into the clarts ... We got deeper trying to get out. When
> reverse still goes forwards and deeper there's little option but get
> recovered .. ;)

Cumoffit ;-). Yesterday you drove through it. Today it was the same
size but 30ft deep? I applaud your Land Rover's ability to scale the
28ft vertical walls of that particular pit on the first day. Or is this
the off-road equivalent of "the one that got away"

Tony

"Peter B" <[email protected]>typed

> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ahbut have you read this gem from today's Ham & High...?
> >
> > --------------------
> >
> > WHIFF OF HYPOCRISY ON 4X4S

> <snipped>

> Blimey, it reads like something from the Framley Examiner, please tell me
> it's a spoof.

I really don't know! This bird got a letter in Ham & High 3 weeks ago.
Following week several letters suggested she was spoofing, my letter got
in last week.

My reply will probably start:

If MV is for real, she is commendably honest; if not, she has given me
hours of harmless amusement, in itself commendable....

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:55:51 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:

> >Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
> >not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
> >window when my boys are leaping around in the back.

> Heh! ArGooey gets everywhere.

Yebbut I put him up to it...

> So, what this person is saying is, she would rather reverse unsafely
> than control the behaviour of her (evidently unrestrained) children.
> What an excellent example she sets to the next generation.

Yup! What a caring parent - not! ArGooey are prolly pondering a retort
as I tripe...

You could also contribute if you CBA.

Emu to [email protected] ...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 9/10/04 9:45 pm, in article [email protected],
"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
>>> not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
>>> window when my boys are leaping around in the back.

I find I get a better view of what is behind me when using the mirrors. SO I
use mirrors to reverse. Nothing wrong with using mirrors, as long as you
ensure that you are taking proper observation.

...d

Tony Raven vaguely muttered something like ...
> Paul - *** wrote:
>> Tony Raven vaguely muttered something like ...

>>> What's that rule in off-roading about inspecting and walking it first?

>> We'd gone there the day before and all was well .. Overnight the factory
>> had started to pump slurry, we came along, following same tracks, saw
>> 'same' 4' wide 'puddle' before a bank. yesterday it went up the bank
>> fine, today the wheels spun even before getting to the bank and spun us
>> round dumping us unceremoniously into the clarts ... We got deeper
>> trying to get out. When reverse still goes forwards and deeper there's
>> little option but get recovered .. ;)
>>

> Cumoffit ;-). Yesterday you drove through it. Today it was the same
> size but 30ft deep? I applaud your Land Rover's ability to scale the
> 28ft vertical walls of that particular pit on the first day. Or is this
> the off-road equivalent of "the one that got away"

Acksherlly you're right. looking back and at the pics, the stream feeding
the sump hole is about 10' wide, not 4,
but looked exactly the same both days. What had happened is that the slurry
pumping had scoured it down somewhat, but the surface looked absolutely no
different. If you look at this photo
http://groups.msn.com/LosiPaulsPictures/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=120
(screen grab from analogue video) you can see our tracks leading iinto the
water, the pic is taken from the top of the bank we would have gone up, and
had done the day before. As the tyres entered the water they simply sank,
and we couldn't get up the bank or reverse out ...

The sandy area is actually very firm, the slurry sets like concrete,
http://groups.msn.com/LosiPaulsPictures/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=121 shows the two towing vehicles and one of the drivers, and the tracks
of the rearmost towing vehicle almost at the edge of the water. The watery
bits are absolutely slick.

On a second outing we got stuck again, but differently. Having walked over
a section, as we normally do and as you pointed out testing it, we drove
out, when all wheels were out, the 'crust' gave way and we sank, with
apparently just water under the tyres, and the chassis resting on the hard
surface. Got out ourselves that time though .. ;)

That's the trouble with this area, it's unpredictable and changes condition
every time we go there. The time we sank shown in the pictures was only the
second time we'd been there and didn't really know the local conditions.

With hindsight, a wonderful thing, we'd not have got stuck at all .. and
haven't got stuck there since, despite going back on numerous occasions with
Landrovers, bikes, motorbikes, and a truck ... ;)

--

Paul - *** wrote:

> With hindsight, a wonderful thing, we'd not have got stuck at all .. and
> haven't got stuck there since, despite going back on numerous occasions with
> Landrovers, bikes, motorbikes, and a truck ... ;)

Let me just check this - your off-roading fun consists of finding a
slurry pit and driving into it as often as possible in a variety of
vehicles?

"Good grief"!

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

James Annan vaguely muttered something like ...
> Paul - *** wrote:
>

>> With hindsight, a wonderful thing, we'd not have got stuck at all .. and
>> haven't got stuck there since, despite going back on numerous occasions
>> with Landrovers, bikes, motorbikes, and a truck ... ;)

> Let me just check this - your off-roading fun consists of finding a
> slurry pit and driving into it as often as possible in a variety of
> vehicles?

Nope, there's a range of terrain available, deciduous woods, pine woods, mud
tracks, steep hillsides, a tarmac surfaced area, gravel tracks, limestone
areas, rocky bumpy areas, slippery hillsides, grassy areas etc etc ... ;)
It's also used as a testing area for a local rally team and for many
motorised and cycle off-road competitions. The area can't be described in a
small post ...

The slurry area is just one small part of the whole thing ...

Why, do you want to come and 'play' ?

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Julesh [email protected] opined the following...
> What did they do wrong? I realise it must have been descended from
> immigrant deer, as Muntjac are not a native British species, so I guess
> it was sponging off the state, planning too large a family and was a
> possibly a factor in deciduous woodland crime statistics but where do
> you stop?

Thanks... new keyboard required!

Jon

Tony Raven [email protected] opined the following...
> Paul - *** wrote:
> >
> > Heheheh .. my 'Kensington tractor' is a little different to those, I guess
> > .... It does actually get used, and abused, off-road a _lot_ ... ;)
> >
> > http://groups.msn.com/LosiPaulsPictures/shoebox.msnw?Page=3
> >
> > The pics on pages 1 and 2 are a little 'tamer' .. ;)

> That's not deep, this is deep - http://www.muddy4x4.com/90wet.htm

A wonderful story from a FOAF. He works on an estate a little way from
Bridge of Allan. The estate's owner has a 4x4, but has one of the plush,
leather seat, carpetted interior not to be used in wet conditions ones.

On a trip back to the house he (As he and others often do) forded the
stream rather than drive the 1 mile round trip to the proper crossing
and back. The water was a little deeper and faster than it had been.
Testament to the car in that it made it through and up the other side.
But witnesses then watched as he climbed out, opened the back door and
the water poured out of the interior. The car was left open around the
back of the house so that the carpets could dry out.

The FOAF has a "real" 4x4. Kickplates on the bonnet and no rounded
corners type. It has apparently been used to rescue a van from a field
when some prat missed a corner and went straight through a hedge.

Jon

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:48:21 GMT, Julesh
<[email protected]>:

>I realise it must have been descended from
>immigrant deer, as Muntjac are not a native British species, so I guess
>it was sponging off the state, planning too large a family and was a
>possibly a factor in deciduous woodland crime statistics

Cloff!