HArrow to Richmond

TheGreatGatsby

Oct 16, 2003
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new job at the moment and would rather not give any more of my hard earned money to the Nazi government for the privelidge of riding their cattle transporters. Does anyone know of a good Safe route to Richmond from North London that wont take three hours - and possibly doesnt include going over Hanger Lane?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gats

Originally posted by TheGreatGatsby
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new job at the moment and would rather not give any more of my hard earned money to the Nazi government for the privelidge of riding their cattle transporters. Does anyone know of a good Safe route to Richmond from North London that wont take three hours - and possibly doesnt include going over Hanger Lane?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gats

Pick up the relevant London cycle guides, or vist http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/cycling/cycling-londoncycleguides.shtml where you can order them. Pretty useful things to have anyway.

Bryan

p.s. I do Rotherhithe to Uxbridge and it only takes 1.5 hours so you can do Harrow to Richimond far quicker than 3 hours :)

On 6/2/04 11:31 am, in article [email protected],
"TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm looking for a new job at the moment and would rather not give any more of my hard earned money
> to the Nazi government for the privelidge of riding their cattle transporters. Does anyone know of
> a good Safe route to Richmond from North London that wont take three hours - and possibly doesnt
> include going over Hanger Lane?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You specifically mentioned Harrow..

I used to ride from my parents (New Malden) to my place in Harrow quite regularly.

IIRC from Harrow you go: South Harrow (A312 then A4005), Turn right past Glaxo (A4127), under the
A40, through hillingdon (straight on on the A4127) till you get to the A4020. Turn left then right
after the railway bridge, bear left at teh miniroundabout and follow this road (B454) under the M4
to the A4. Cross the A4 and stay on this road (now the A310), bearing right

Looking at the map, you'll want to turn left onto the A3004 to head into Richmond. You'll have to
cross the A316 at some point.

There are probably quieter routes parallel to this.

..d

"TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm looking for a new job at the moment and would rather not give any more of my hard earned money
> to the Nazi government for the privelidge of riding their cattle transporters.

Hmmm. Wasn't it the Fascists who made the trains run on time? Note: the govt. no longer run trains,
thanks to Major Minor. The most egregiously botched privatisation of them all :-(

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

TheGreatGatsby wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm looking for a new job at the moment ........

> ....... Does anyone know of a good Safe route to Richmond from North London that wont take three
> hours - and possibly doesnt include going over Hanger Lane?

Are you applying for a cyclo-cabbies job or cycling to an interview ?

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>"TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> I'm looking for a new job at the moment and would rather not give any more of my hard earned
>> money to the Nazi government for the privelidge of riding their cattle transporters.
>
>Hmmm. Wasn't it the Fascists who made the trains run on time?

I read somewhere once that Mussolini didn't _actually_ make the trains run on time, he just _said_
he had and had anyone who argued denounced as a troublemaker. A little bit like the Nugent
technique for ensuring that motorists don't routinely go through red lights, except he's restricted
to putting his hands over his ears and saying "La la la la, I can't hear you" when anyone points
out reality to him.

TheGreatGatsby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Does anyone know of a good Safe route to Richmond from North London that wont take three hours -
> and possibly doesnt include going over Hanger Lane?

I go through Harrow on my way from Watford to Twickenham. The route I take is along the A312 through
South Harrow, bearing left just past Northolt Park station, up the short sharp hill and right at the
big roundabout onto Hill Road. Straight on to Northolt tube station and immediately afterwards turn
left through Northolt Village thus avoiding the Target Roundabout on the A40. It's theoretically a
quiet road but watch out for speeding rat runners.

You come out at the end of Ealing Road and have to cross the pavement to get onto Kensington Road
and pass under the A40. Amazingly you will also see motorists doing this in either direction and
squeezing past the post that's meant to prevent them.

At the roundabout turn left onto Ruislip Road and, 200 yards further, right onto Allenby Road. Just
after Allenby primary school turn left onto Dormers Wells Lane, which brings you out onto Uxbridge
Road. Again both Allenby Road and Dormers Wells Lane are made a little more hazardous than they
should be by speeding motorists, so take care.

Turn left onto Uxbridge Road where you can ride in the bus lane to the Iron Bridge where you want to
go right. There is no legal right turn but you can either do what most cyclists do and cross at the
pedestrian lights or do what I do and run 200 yards further to make a vehicular-style traffic light
controlled U turn back to Windmill Lane.

On Windmill Lane stay on the left to go through a width restriction and over a hump back bridge over
the Grand Union canal. A few yards further on take the first exit at the mini-roundabout. This is
the B454 and is still Windmill Lane. There will be houses on your right and fields on your left.
There is a very theoretical 30 mph limit here. This section lasts about 2 miles and passes under the
M4. This section absurdly becomes national speed limit for a stretch of about 300 yards. After the
M4 go left at the mini-roundabout (Seccombe's Yard), and you will arrive at Gillette Corner on the
A4. Get into the middle lane early as the nearside lane is filtered left.

Go straight across the A4 past the distinctive Homebase and Comet stores, down the hill, across the
next junction and immediately bear left onto Park Road. You pass West Middx. Hospital on your right
and head down to the river. You go through Old Isleworth and come out at a roundabout where you stay
on the left to run parallel to the river up Richmond Road, which becomes St. Margarets Road and then
brings you out on the A316. Turn left here, cross the river at Twickenham Bridge and you are 2
minutes from Richmond town centre. You can use the cycle path beside the A316 if you are so minded.

Should be about 40 minutes worth at a comfortable pace.

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TheGreatGatsby <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Does anyone know of a good Safe route to Richmond from North London that wont take three hours -
> > and possibly doesnt include going over Hanger
Lane?
>
>
> At the roundabout turn left onto Ruislip Road and, 200 yards further, right onto Allenby Road.
> Just after Allenby primary school turn left onto Dormers Wells Lane, which brings you out onto
> Uxbridge Road. Again both Allenby Road and Dormers Wells Lane are made a little more hazardous
> than they should be by speeding motorists, so take care.
>
> Turn left onto Uxbridge Road where you can ride in the bus lane to the Iron Bridge where you want
> to go right. There is no legal right turn but you can either do what most cyclists do and cross at
> the pedestrian lights or do what I do and run 200 yards further to make a vehicular-style traffic
> light controlled U turn back to Windmill Lane.
>

Or you could avoid Iron Bridge by carrying straight on through Southall and cross the M4 into
Osterley Park, to rejoin Windmill Lane. The drawbacks would be Southall and the winter mud in
Osterley Park.

G

"zerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Or you could avoid Iron Bridge by carrying straight on through Southall and cross the M4 into
> Osterley Park, to rejoin Windmill Lane. The drawbacks would be Southall and the winter mud in
> Osterley Park.
>
> G

Yes , I would be tempted to avoid Iron Bridge and Windmill Lane (narrow, twisty, narrow pavements ,
high hedges and quite a bit of speed past the Sultan of Brunei's pad). It might be worth
investigating the TfL/LCC map route from Dormers Well Lane to cross the Uxbridge Road at the cycle
crossing at Green Drive and go throught the joined up cul-de-sacs to Norwood Green. Then do the left
turn into the quiet Osterley Lane, go past the front of Osterley House (on the tarmac/gravel as
opposed to the mud track to Windmill Lane) and down the drive to Thornbury Road, Church Road, The
Grove, St.John's Road, South Street,Richmond Road . Depending on where you want to get to in
Richmond you could do Isleworth Prom and Ducks Walk for a ride along the river and over the old
Richmond Bridge. Or alternatively carry on along the main road , St Margarets Road to the main A316
and cross the Thames at Old Deer Park.

Good Luck,

Tim

On 7 Feb 2004 07:54:23 -0800, [email protected] (Tim Henderson)
wrote:

>Yes , I would be tempted to avoid Iron Bridge and Windmill Lane (narrow, twisty, narrow pavements ,
>high hedges and quite a bit of speed past the Sultan of Brunei's pad). It might be worth
>investigating the TfL/LCC map route from Dormers Well Lane to cross the Uxbridge Road at the cycle
>crossing at Green Drive and go throught the joined up cul-de-sacs to Norwood Green. Then do the
>left turn into the quiet Osterley Lane, go past the front of Osterley House (on the tarmac/gravel
>as opposed to the mud track to Windmill Lane) and down the drive to Thornbury Road, Church Road,
>The Grove, St.John's Road, South Street,Richmond Road .

Tim. That looks interesting. I might investigate that for my own commute. Thanks.

>Depending on where you want to get to in Richmond you could do Isleworth Prom and Ducks Walk for a
>ride along the river and over the old Richmond Bridge. Or alternatively carry on along the main
>road , St Margarets Road to the main A316 and cross the Thames at Old Deer Park.

That joins up with my original suggestion for getting to Richmond.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Thats great guys!

Thanks very much for the help. If its only 40mins away thats even better because at the moment I ride from Harrow to Holborn so it should be a fairly similar time!

Gonna start applying for some jobs there now!

Gats

On 9/2/04 9:22 am, in article [email protected],
"TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thats great guys!
>
> Thanks very much for the help. If its only 40mins away thats even better because at the moment I
> ride from Harrow to Holborn so it should be a fairly similar time!
>

It's quicker than Harrow-Holborn and more pleasant.

I used to do New Malden - Harrow along that route in about an hour so 40 mins sounds about right.

..d

>I read somewhere once that Mussolini didn't _actually_ make
>the trains run on time, he just _said_ he had and had
>anyone who argued denounced as a troublemaker.

He did. My grandad was very anti-fascist (went to prison for
it) but he was keen to admit all the good things fascism had
done. And one of them was transport, including trains,
busses and motorways.