Helium spokes spinning

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeffn, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Jeffn

    Jeffn Guest

    I bought a used pair of Mavic Heliums and when I went to
    true the front wheel, most of the spokes spin in the hub. I
    lubed the nipples but that didn't help much. Any suggestions
    on fixing the straight pull spokes to the hub?

    Tags:

  2. jeff-<< I bought a used pair of Mavic Heliums and when I
    went to true the front wheel, most of the spokes spin in the
    hub. I lubed the nipples but that didn't help much. Any
    suggestions on fixing the straight pull spokes to the hub?
    >><BR><BR>

    United Bicycle Parts have a tool called a 'twist assist', a
    modified third hand that holds the spokes so they will not
    rotate. Use on all straight pull spoked wheels.about $18.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jeff-<< I bought a used pair of Mavic Heliums and when I
    > went to true the front wheel, most of the spokes spin in
    > the hub. I lubed the nipples but that didn't help much.
    > Any suggestions on fixing the straight pull spokes to the
    > hub? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > United Bicycle Parts have a tool called a 'twist
    > assist', a modified third hand that holds the spokes so
    > they will not rotate. Use on all straight pull spoked
    > wheels.about $18.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm

    Dear Peter,

    Perhaps this "twist assist" is a different sort of tool or
    procedure, but I'm curious if it's the sort of approach that
    Jobst Brandt mentioned a few years ago as being ineffective:

    [John Bigboote wrote:]
    > Wouldn't it be simple enough to grasp the spoke near the
    > nipple (on the "butted" part, if possible) while
    > tightening, using needlenose pliers or somesuch, thereby
    > eliminating the possibility of twisting and ensuring the
    > integrity of the build once the wheel is ridden?

    [Jobst replied:] This suggestion often comes up and it boils
    down to that you can't hold a tight spoke against rotation
    without damaging the it. I used to watch Wheelsmith build
    wheels with smooth jawed pliers until I challenged Rick to
    put some post-its on the spokes to see how much good it was
    doing... end of exercise.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    8&selm=86vs3v%24oto%241%40hplms2.hpl.hp.com

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/25l2c

    If you (or anyone else) have this "twist assist" tool, can
    you test it for us by putting a flag of some kind on the
    spoke, as Jobst suggests, and seeing whether the flag twists
    despite the tool?

    Unfortunately, the United Bicycle Parts site insists that
    everyone register with their site before permitting anyone
    to view what they sell.

    Carl Fogel

  4. Carl Fogel wrote:

    > Perhaps this "twist assist" is a different sort of tool or
    > procedure, but I'm curious if it's the sort of approach
    > that Jobst Brandt mentioned a few years ago as being
    > ineffective:

    See:
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=TL4610

    Sheldon "They Work" Brown +--------------------------------------------------
    +
    | For every complex problem, there is a solution | that is
    | simple, neat, and wrong. | --H. L. Mencken |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris
    Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
    617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003

    Dear Sheldon,

    Aha! That's a twist-REsist, which may be from
    a different company at three times the price
    and a left and right version:

    "Competition Cycles Services Twist-Resist Spoke
    Clamp, RIGHT HAND, prevents spoke wind-up
    (TL4610) $67.95"

    Being easily puzzled, I couldn't figure out
    from the picture how it works, but the
    Barnett manual calls it "invaluable with
    straight-pull and non-round spokes" and
    dismisses the slot-type tools from other
    manufacturers as being "not as effective
    as the Twist-Resist 2."

    http://www.bbinstitute.com/BM5 chap 17.pdf

    I looked, but I couldn't find a picture of this
    intriguing tool in action. I'm guessing that
    it grips the spoke at ninety degrees to the
    angle at which an ordinary pair of pliers would
    grab?

    Thanks for the link and the assurance that
    they work.

    Carl Fogel