Hi guys, toe clips?

jack06

Oct 20, 2006
hi guys
i'm thinking of getting the cell S2200 http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=211 and it comes with toe clips, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
Firstly can toe clips be removed from the pedals?
I would mostly be using it to cycle to work in Brisbane and expecting long roads would I actually get any benefit from toe clips?
Is there anything I should know about them?
I get the toe clips with the bike (on the pedals) so would be getting aftermarket pedals if the toe clips seem like a bad idea.
look forward to your replies
cheers jack

Yes toe clips can be removed.

However to give your foot a consistent location, I suggest trying strapless toe clips to start. Cell bikes should be able to supply. (ex BiCorp)

hi G
not sure what they come with I guess the cheaper option, what advantage do strapless toe clips have?

Hi Jack. I Work at Cell. We can swap over to any sort of pedals you want.

In my experience, toe clips are okay for long, steady rides or even for racing, but are not very good for riding in traffic or anywhere where you ned to get in and out in a hurry. If you are cycling alot you should really think about investing in a clipless pedal system. You can get set up for around $170 with pedals and shoes.

Kieran.

jack06 said:
hi guys
i'm thinking of getting the cell S2200 http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=211 and it comes with toe clips, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
Firstly can toe clips be removed from the pedals?
I would mostly be using it to cycle to work in Brisbane and expecting long roads would I actually get any benefit from toe clips?
Is there anything I should know about them?
I get the toe clips with the bike (on the pedals) so would be getting aftermarket pedals if the toe clips seem like a bad idea.
look forward to your replies
cheers jack

The bike comes with toes clip and strap. The strapless pedals are designed so you can get in and out quickly.

jack06 said:
hi G
not sure what they come with I guess the cheaper option, what advantage do strapless toe clips have?

hi kieran,

thanks for the reply. I'm actually moving back over there to get an apprenticeship and parents are going to buy the bike for me, so don't want to push it too much, I guess what I was trying to say is, would they be adequate, i would be riding in traffic but brisbane roads are generally long and have plenty of time to wriggle a foot out. Couple of questions RE the S2200 it says it has shimano gear shifters, but can't see them on the pic, what type of shifters would they be?
I'm not sure how useful clipless would be, as I would use the bike for picking up shopping and generally much like you would use a car.

11ring said:
The bike comes with toes clip and strap. The strapless pedals are designed so you can get in and out quickly.
yer would probably remove the straps for convenience.

11ring said:
Hi Jack. I Work at Cell. .
is the stuff on that bike ok, or would he better off forking out an extra few hundred bucks for something with Sora, Tiagra or even 105 on it?

i thought it looked ok, decent frame, even if it looks a little bulky and heavy (but you pay more for a lighter frame) and all decked out with shimano nice!

jack06 said:
i thought it looked ok, decent frame, even if it looks a little bulky and heavy (but you pay more for a lighter frame) and all decked out with shimano nice!
I'd be more worried about the components, such as the no-name hubs, the Tektro brakes (not much chop) and I've never heard of that level of Shimano stuff. Also, it'd be nice to have STI.

hi aussi

but for that sort of money and considering it is a road bike after all everything automatically goes up in price. As I said it would be much like my car, I would shop with it, commute to work, hit the bottle shop. Not too bothered about the no-name hubs as I would probably get the usual 'nut and bolt' configuration for security (although the guy I spoke to at the shop said they don't do it and its very hard to find them for that bike). I mean if there is somewhere else i could get a road bike for less then this then i'd take it!
jack

Does that bike allow you to fit rear racks/panniers? Panniers bags, would work well with shopping, carrying clothes and some tools for your commute.

I have just purchased SPD pedals and shoes for use on my shopping/commute/photography bike. The SPD shoes allow you to walk on them. You should consider clipless pedals if you are going to be cycling for long during your commute.

My bike came with the strapless toe clips, but after having been clipped in for so long, I found them a pain to get into (believe it or not), and the pedals had put some holes in the sole of my walking shoes!

Good luck with your new bike.

I'd go the extra 200 buck for the sora.
as for the clips/straps you can always ride them without
the cleats. I used to wear regular tenny's with clips and straps
when I commuted pre clipless.

Marty

hi marty like i said can't afford the extra 200 or i'd probably get another bike completely!

Hi Jack06,

Given what you want the bike for, do you really need a road bike. What distances do you think you'll be riding when commuting? I sometimes use my mountain bike for my 40km round trip commute and don't find it too bad.
Have you considered either a mountain bike or hybrid. Either one would allow you to install racks and they would probably be more sturdy for the tasks you have in mind. Also, for the price you are looking at you could buy a MTB or hybrid with better known components which might hold up better.
It seems you are keen to get the Cell Bike anyway. If you do make sure you get good enough warranty in case of problems. Also, if by buying this bike it allows you to save more money then perhaps you could put aside funds to upgrade or otherwise buy something better somewhere down the track.

hi
Well the thing is, I would be using it for everything, shopping, bottle shop runs, cycling down to the pub, work etc
just figured in the end the thin tyres and light frame and of course the smaller gearing would allow for a more efficient ride.

jack06 said:
hi
Well the thing is, I would be using it for everything, shopping, bottle shop runs, cycling down to the pub, work etc
just figured in the end the thin tyres and light frame and of course the smaller gearing would allow for a more efficient ride.
Fair enough. How about a hybrid with 700c wheels instead of 26in. Or otherwise a flat bar road bike. Not sure what's out there in a comparable price range.