These guys are insane :-)

"Bean Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andrew Priest wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:49:42 +0800, Andrew Priest
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> G'day
>>>
>>> Cool music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8

>> Better at http://www.digave.com/videos_drag_race.html

> It's just craaazy! Man, I nearly $hit myself just watching it!
> --
> Bean
>
> Remove "yourfinger" before replying

The bits where they were riding with traffic was tight but reasonable and
would have been good riding. That's why I actually enjoy riding through the
CBD. Plowing through cross traffic and peds against the lights and going up
the wrong side of the road is just stupid though.

Resound said:
The bits where they were riding with traffic was tight but reasonable and
would have been good riding. That's why I actually enjoy riding through the
CBD. Plowing through cross traffic and peds against the lights and going up
the wrong side of the road is just stupid though.

+1

Like the music - anyone know who it is? Sounds a bit Led Zeppelinish except it isn't.

On 2007-08-24, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> G'day
>
> Cool music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8

But bad cycling.

This is from a POV from an Alley Cat race. These people don't do much to
encourage acceptance of bicycling as a form of transport.

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

matagi wrote:

> Like the music - anyone know who it is? Sounds a bit Led Zeppelinish
> except it isn't.

The first track is Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n Roses. Not sure who
is doing the Johnny B Goode cover.

Parbs

On 2007-08-24, Bean Long (aka Bruce)
> Andrew Priest wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:49:42 +0800, Andrew Priest
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> G'day
>>>
>>> Cool music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8

>> Better at http://www.digave.com/videos_drag_race.html

> It's just craaazy! Man, I nearly $hit myself just watching it!

Some of those gaps did not exist. It was just your imagination that
they got through them. If the camera had been behind the rider, you
would have seen the pedals and his legs (and perhaps his handlebars
too) dematerialise and then materialise again after the non-gap.

--
TimC
The Unixverse ends on Tue, 19 Jan 2038 03:14:07 +0000

On 2007-08-24, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> G'day
>
> Cool music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8

But bad cycling.

This is from a POV from an Alley Cat race. These people don't do much to
encourage acceptance of bicycling as a form of transport.
Some of it's bad, some of it's no different to what I do. In peak traffic I lane split all the time as it's a lot safer than being between the gutter and other traffic.

Running reds and cycling against traffic's just not on though.

EuanB said:
Running reds and cycling against traffic's just not on though.

yeah I don't know..... looks cool, probably is cool while you are doing it, but just plain stupid and does nothing for the acceptance of cycling, but its "cool" though.

On 2007-08-25, EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joel Mayes Wrote:
>> On 2007-08-24, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > G'day
>> >
>> > Cool music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8

>> But bad cycling.
>>
>> This is from a POV from an Alley Cat race. These people don't do much
>> encourage acceptance of bicycling as a form of transport.

> Some of it's bad, some of it's no different to what I do. In peak
> traffic I lane split all the time as it's a lot safer than being
> between the gutter and other traffic.
>
> Running reds and cycling against traffic's just not on though.

That's my main compliant, and the diving though pedestrian crossing.

Cheers

Joel

--

EuanB wrote:
> Joel Mayes Wrote:
>> On 2007-08-24, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> G'day
>>>
>>> Cool music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8

>> But bad cycling.
>>
>> This is from a POV from an Alley Cat race. These people don't do
>> much to encourage acceptance of bicycling as a form of transport.

> Some of it's bad, some of it's no different to what I do. In peak
> traffic I lane split all the time as it's a lot safer than being
> between the gutter and other traffic.
>
> Running reds and cycling against traffic's just not on though.

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt.

"Bike rider in hospital after train jump stunt

A man has been taken to Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital after being hit
by a train in what police say appears to be a stunt gone wrong.

Police say the man has leg and possible spinal injuries after he crashed
into a train while attempting a bicycle jump on the platform at the
Stirling train station just after 6:00am.

Ambulance officers say he is in a stable condition."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/25/2014998.htm

MikeyOz said:
yeah I don't know..... looks cool, probably is cool while you are doing it, but just plain stupid and does nothing for the acceptance of cycling, but its "cool" though.
It's nothing to do with looking cool and everything to do with expedient cycling. Lane splitting in congested city traffic is far safer than trying to pass left lane traffic on the left.

I don't lane split at those speeds though, that's a bit too quick for my reflexes and brakes.

TimC wrote:

> Some of those gaps did not exist. It was just your imagination that
> they got through them. If the camera had been behind the rider, you
> would have seen the pedals and his legs (and perhaps his handlebars
> too) dematerialise and then materialise again after the non-gap.

Oh, exactly Tim... there was a spot there where I saw the guy in front
of the camera slip through a gap so small I thought it was
impossible...the gap closes some more and THEN the guy with the camera
goes through! Unf$ckingbelievable!

--

EuanB said:
It's nothing to do with looking cool and everything to do with expedient cycling. Lane splitting in congested city traffic is far safer than trying to pass left lane traffic on the left.

I don't lane split at those speeds though, that's a bit too quick for my reflexes and brakes.

You have to be joking me don't you ???? It was setup, they were video taping it, it was even setup as a Grand Prix..... it was a cool thing to do and video tape.

I am not saying they are unbelieveable riders..... and don't have awesome skills. I Lane split as well going through heavy traffic, but not at those speeds like you. I wish I had the nerve and skill to.

On 2007-08-25, EuanB (aka Bruce)
> I don't lane split at those speeds though, that's a bit too quick for
> my reflexes and brakes.

Brakes? What brakes? Real Men don't use brakes.

--
TimC
Real Programmers use Fortran. Quiche Eaters use Pascal.

MikeyOz said:
You have to be joking me don't you ???? It was setup, they were video taping it, it was even setup as a Grand Prix..... it was a cool thing to do and video tape.

I am not saying they are unbelieveable riders..... and don't have awesome skills. I Lane split as well going through heavy traffic, but not at those speeds like you. I wish I had the nerve and skill to.
I invite you to re-read what I said. I didn't say that I approved or condone the riding shown in the video. What I did say is that some of the riding done in that video is no different to what I do, albeit at a reduced pace and with a bit more care.

EuanB said:
I don't lane split at those speeds though, that's a bit too quick for my reflexes and brakes.
What part of that was ambiguous?