How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

alienator said:
Sure history has a place here: the lack of historical understanding helps to feed a lack of understanding of your own society, especially when our society is as diverse as it is. And as far as no other country being as diverse, well you plainly don't know what you're talking about and need to take a look at other countries. Canada, UK, many other countries have loads of diversity on par with the US. And as for people dying to get here, that might be so. So what? There are also people dying for us to leave them alone, and there are people dying here because of ignoramuses with guns that have no understanding of human behavior.

Isn't it about time for some NRAbot to repeat that wonderful cliche about only the criminals having guns? Surely, someone will. I mean, there are people out to get us, aren't there?

I'll say it for you and I'm NOT a NRA member - If you make guns illegal only crimminals will have them. This is true because there's already how many 1000's on the streets! You've never had a gun pulled on you, have you? When my daughter was in the 4th grade there was a shooting outside her school. I had to tell her what to do in case this happened again. Now do you think if guns were illegal this wouldn't have happened? Crime or the underlying reason for - almost always drug related - is rampant in some parts of this country. Where I live you might be walking out of a store and witness a crime. The actors see you and turn their gun on you. Now what are you going to do? It has happened to me.

portrider said:
This is true because there's already how many 1000's on the streets!
I agree with you, Portrider, but I'm afraid you under estimate:

[size=+2]Gun Ownership Statistics[/size]

Total Firearms
The exact numbers are not known, but it is estimated that between 65 million and 80 million Americans own between 200 million and 225 million firearms. (Source: Department of Justice, National Rifle Association)

Fully Automatic Firearms
As of 1995 there were over 240,000 machine guns registered with the BATF. About half are owned by civilians and half by police departments and other governmental agencies.

Since 1934, only one legally owned machinegun has ever been used in crime, and that was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer in 1988. [source: Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Guns Used in Crime and Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, by Prof. Gary Kleck, 1997)

Taken from: http://www.gac.20m.com/facts_you_can_use.htm#Total%20Firearms

There's enough out there that even if they were completely banned at midnight tonight. They couldn't all be destroyed within my daughter's, grandchildren's lifetime, and she's only three.

200,000,000 is enough that if you could destroy 1000 a week it would take over 3846 years to get rid of them all if no new ones were introduced.
200,000,000/1000=200,000/52=3846+
And they really aren't that hard for some to turn out in their garage with a little know-how.:)

What you seem to be forgetting is that it is the minority of Americans who tend to make it difficult for the rest of us. Remember... if we carry, it is simply to stop the predators. We don't carry a weapon because we think everyone is out to get us, we carry because we want to be prepared.

The rest of your diatribe about hatred is nothing more than emotional grandstanding and doesn't deserve a detailed response.

Joe West

Matt N said:
At first I thought this thread was some kind of joke. But obviously some people seriously contemplate killing another person as they head out for their health activities. What!?

Fortunately, here in Australia, we respect other people and can go for a simple bike ride without feeling threatened by others. Funnily enough, this seems to be the consensus in EVERY country other than, of course, America.

You Yanks have created a "culture" dominated by hatred, intolerance and greed. This has resulted in a pervasive paranoia, such that you can't even engage in a leisurely activity (such as riding a bike) without the (real or apparent) danger of being attacked. Of course this has led to an uncontrollable vicious cycle of killing-defending-killing-defending...and you still wonder why you have the highest murder rate in the world.

Gee, I wonder why the rest of the world finds your culture so amusing, yet so abhorent? You get what you deserve!

Cheers

P.S. Sorry to all of the normal, decent, peace loving Americans (of which I know there are very many), but I am simply trying to reflect the impression which your gun-toting countryfolk portray to the rest of the world.

I still have yet to hear from you... funny... I might be lead to believe that you are only interested in responding in public because you love to pontificate.

Joe

Sad... you live in Arizona. I wonder if you are in Senator Gabrielle Gifford's district.

alienator said:
You're offended. Is that supposed to mean something to anybody? Hell, the rest of the world is offended by us, yet our society doesn't care.

Get over it. Or expend the energy to try and understand why things are the way they are. Of course, doing that might mean discovering things that aren't black and white.

Joe West said:
I still have yet to hear from you... funny... I might be lead to believe that you are only interested in responding in public because you love to pontificate.

Joe

Sad... you live in Arizona. I wonder if you are in Senator Gabrielle Gifford's district.

Well, Joe:

Why would I respond to you personally, when you apparently have nothing to offer in an intellectual exchange? Actually, I think you'll only be lead to believe whatever the NRA or your pet political buffoons feed you.

Sad....you need a gun to find your place in society.

portrider said:
I'll say it for you and I'm NOT a NRA member - If you make guns illegal only crimminals will have them. This is true because there's already how many 1000's on the streets! You've never had a gun pulled on you, have you? When my daughter was in the 4th grade there was a shooting outside her school. I had to tell her what to do in case this happened again. Now do you think if guns were illegal this wouldn't have happened? Crime or the underlying reason for - almost always drug related - is rampant in some parts of this country. Where I live you might be walking out of a store and witness a crime. The actors see you and turn their gun on you. Now what are you going to do? It has happened to me.

Good for you. I'm sure your experience should be the model for every person walking the streets....'it happened to me, it's gonna happen to you....' This is a lot like the 'sky is falling' bit. Say, where do you think criminals get guns, fella? Say, if the y'all are so concerned about all the guns in the hands of bad guys, why is it that no one is pushing for tighter registration of guns? Required training for having guns....and training can't be just a few days. Months, maybe? Did any actually sit down and realize that if guns were more difficult to get that it might slow down the proliferation of guns in the criminal element? No, of course not. Because nearly every gun owner, it seems, believes that the gun problem...i.e. that so many bad guys have 'em...is a one sided/simple problem that can be solved with simple fixes.

This is all really pathetic. If people cannot get on their bikes and ride without a gun or if they can't be bothered to ride some place where they can feel safe enough to ride without a gun....what exactly can these people contribute to society? I'll tell you: they can contribute another piece of lead speeding off, that can't be recalled.

What a truly great society. Shoot first, think, maybe later.

Joe West said:

Joe

I see, now. You're one of the Collective. You know, one of the mass that lets the central brain do your thinking.

Now, I definitely know that I would not let YOU have my email addy. Retribution is your party game. You know, when I'm walking with my daughter, you and your ilk are the kind of folks I point out when I tell my daughter, "They're the reason that we have war, honey. They're the reason innocent people die. They're the sort the have no original thought of their own, only what is fed to them."

Enjoy your gun Joe. Watch out for the Boogeyman.

as a fairly new member of this forum i was wondering if it had as many pontificating, self-righteous, and ad hominem-attack-using pricks here as my other forums. apparently so.

these people are stating that they use a gun to protect themselves. and all you do is attack the nra, political parties, etc. posters like you are a dime a dozen.

cheapie said:
as a fairly new member of this forum i was wondering if it had as many pontificating, self-righteous, and ad hominem-attack-using pricks here as my other forums. apparently so.

these people are stating that they use a gun to protect themselves. and all you do is attack the nra, political parties, etc. posters like you are a dime a dozen.

This thread never had any real 'bang' to start with and has just gone in the toilet as similar ones always do.

Joe West,

I think you can forget about having any kind of real exchange with alienator. He's one of those fellows who preaches tolerance yet he's done nothing but venomously attack every poster here who states their points in favor of something he doesn't agree with. Tolerance, yeah right. Tolerance as long as you agree with his position. Typical.

You are happy because you have no other choice. I don't particularly understand why a people from any country would let their government take their weapons away while the government has weapons. You are trusting of your government... they will take good care of you and will never hurt you.

And if they do ever decide to do something you don't like... you can roll over like a little puppy dog and submit. Why? Because you will have no other alternative.

In America... we will always have an alternative. The country is strong because our people are strong. We don't roll over for our government (okay... the liberals do), and we will never EVER let our government make us weak like you (and a great deal of the rest of the world) allow your governments to make you weak.

Our system works... and our position as the only remaining super power proves it.

JW

Matt N said:
At first I thought this thread was some kind of joke. But obviously some people seriously contemplate killing another person as they head out for their health activities. What!?

Fortunately, here in Australia, we respect other people and can go for a simple bike ride without feeling threatened by others. Funnily enough, this seems to be the consensus in EVERY country other than, of course, America.

You Yanks have created a "culture" dominated by hatred, intolerance and greed. This has resulted in a pervasive paranoia, such that you can't even engage in a leisurely activity (such as riding a bike) without the (real or apparent) danger of being attacked. Of course this has led to an uncontrollable vicious cycle of killing-defending-killing-defending...and you still wonder why you have the highest murder rate in the world.

Gee, I wonder why the rest of the world finds your culture so amusing, yet so abhorent? You get what you deserve!

Cheers

P.S. Sorry to all of the normal, decent, peace loving Americans (of which I know there are very many), but I am simply trying to reflect the impression which your gun-toting countryfolk portray to the rest of the world.

Anyone familiar with this conspiracy theory:

The only thing stopping the "new world order" from taking over the planet is the fact that too many Americans own guns -- it would be too hard to over power 80 million gun owners. So, the government (or CIA, or who ever) is poisoning the water supply which turns a certain percentage of susceptible indivuals into mass-murdering, gun ramaging psychotics, which will then strengthen the anti-gun lobby's position, which will result in most of the guns being taken off the Americans, so the new world order can take over!!! :D :D :D

I've got another one where the aliens will take over the planet in the year 2030 :D

Joe West said:
Our system works... and our position as the only remaining super power proves it.

JW
Wonder if it is the 'system' or the willingness to spend stupendous sums of $$ on weapons and new technology? In the beginning it was a pretty even playing field when the goverment and the people were armed with muskets, and squirrel rifles. Today, even a bunch of Ramos with AK-47s,RPGs and Glocks with hi cap mags would be no match for the current arsensal.

Joe West said:
You are happy because you have no other choice. I don't particularly understand why a people from any country would let their government take their weapons away while the government has weapons. You are trusting of your government... they will take good care of you and will never hurt you.
This thread is a cesspool of nonsense and should have been closed by the mods ages ago. There's no place for this sort of emotional political back-and-forth on the Equipment Forum. Take it to a general forum.

Cease.

Someone here really lives up to their user name...;)

Ride in safer places? I have been assaulted in RURAL areas more than I have been in town. No one has held me up at gun point but several have INTENTIONALLY ran me off the road. Using a car as a weapon is NO DIFFERENT than using a machete, firearm or poison gas.

Legal gun owners ARE concerned with improper use of firearms. Legal gun owners are DOING something about this "problem" in training (a firearm is much easier to use safely than ANY motorized equipment, wheeled or fixed, electric or gasoline powered) through programs offered by the NRA. Ever hear of the Eddie Eagle Program? This program for children is OPPOSED by close-minded school districts but where it has been allowed, it significantly LOWERS the risk to children.

Gosh... now you are afraid of me? You don't want to even email me because you don't want me to have your email address?

To dispell whatever internal thoughts you might have... here's a link where you can learn more about me:

http://www.flatfendertj.com

Notice the new Porsche 911 Turbo? Notice that I am a pilot, dive instructor, engineer, and off-roader?

Hardly one of the masses Alienator... I think for myself... I get off my butt and live life; and as you might gather from my activities... I'm afraid of nothing.

I carry a weapon because I never know when some pathetic dog of a human being will try to infringe on my life... I will allow no one to take my life, or the life of my family... and I will defend them to the death.

You really think bad things don't happen? Examine the statistics. They certainly can... and they do. And being prepared is important... be it in SCUBA, flying, biking, or living.

I'll take your fear to even email me as the equivalent of submissive urination commonly practiced by dogs when they are in the presence of the alpha male.

Enjoy the link I provided... Unlike you, I'm not afraid to use my real name when I post... I'm not afraid to give you (or anyone) my email address... I'm not afraid to put what I do or who I am on the web for everyone to see.

It is clear who is afraid, and who is not.... and when you roll over off your back and stop pissing on yourself... stand up like a man and don't be afraid. Shoot (I don't mean that word literally so please don't pee on your keyboard when you read it) me an email and we'll continue this discussion offline. Really... I'm a nice guy and I promise I won't shoot you.

JW

alienator said:
I see, now. You're one of the Collective. You know, one of the mass that lets the central brain do your thinking.

Now, I definitely know that I would not let YOU have my email addy. Retribution is your party game. You know, when I'm walking with my daughter, you and your ilk are the kind of folks I point out when I tell my daughter, "They're the reason that we have war, honey. They're the reason innocent people die. They're the sort the have no original thought of their own, only what is fed to them."

Enjoy your gun Joe. Watch out for the Boogeyman.

Fat Hack said:
Anyone familiar with this conspiracy theory:

The only thing stopping the "new world order" from taking over the planet is the fact that too many Americans own guns -- it would be too hard to over power 80 million gun owners. So, the government (or CIA, or who ever) is poisoning the water supply which turns a certain percentage of susceptible indivuals into mass-murdering, gun ramaging psychotics, which will then strengthen the anti-gun lobby's position, which will result in most of the guns being taken off the Americans, so the new world order can take over!!! :D :D :D

I've got another one where the aliens will take over the planet in the year 2030 :D
Those are good ones. :D Hadn't heard either of them yet.

Frankly, I think the U.S. is behind the new world order. This globalization and the outsourcing of jobs from the first world countries to the third world countries is nothing more than labor arbitrage disguised as free trade. The wealthy are tired of paying us $50,000 a year so they export the jobs to someplace that pays significantly less (India, China). :mad:

When the Tech economy started to fall apart 4 years ago I started doing a lot of reading on the subject, especially since my career went over there too! And to think some employers, such as IBM, have the gall to ask their employees to train their replacements. Yeah, right. What a motivator!

"I'm sure your experience should be the model for every person walking the streets....'it happened to me, it's gonna happen to you...." - how about "it happened to me it COULD happen to you"

"Say, where do you think criminals get guns, fella?" - If criminals were in jail, where they belong, this wouldn't be a problem.

"Say, if the y'all are so concerned about all the guns in the hands of bad guys, why is it that no one is pushing for tighter registration of guns? Required training for having guns....and training can't be just a few days. Months, maybe?" In Pennsylvania - a right to carry state - you must be cleared to own a gun by the state police. All handguns are registered. How can you tighten registration, do you think a criminal is going to register his stolen gun? I do agree with required training, but you know what, the NRA sponsors almost all of it.

"Did any actually sit down and realize that if guns were more difficult to get that it might slow down the proliferation of guns in the criminal element?" - NY and DC decided that - has it slowed anything down?

It is really pathetic. But that's the way it is. No one here has suggested "shoot first, think, maybe later"

Cyclists carrying guns?........a country with a constitutional right to bear arms?.......a country that is about to lift a ban on semi-auto assault rifles (that are designed for one purpopse only)........would that be the same country that also carried out an illegal war in the middle east. Seems to me that if the states were a little bit less gung ho and trigger happy, that maybe everyone else would be a bit safer.

As far as self defense goes - it is interesting to note that a significant percentage of US policemen who get shot on the job receive their gunshot wound from their own gun......sure they were feeling safe too, right up to the point when they were disarmed.

It's one thing to shoot at paper targets to boost your poor self esteem, quite another to actually shoot someone.............

Buddy2004 said:
Cyclists carrying guns?........a country with a constitutional right to bear arms?.......a country that is about to lift a ban on semi-auto assault rifles (that are designed for one purpopse only)........would that be the same country that also carried out an illegal war in the middle east. Seems to me that if the states were a little bit less gung ho and trigger happy, that maybe everyone else would be a bit safer.

As far as self defense goes - it is interesting to note that a significant percentage of US policemen who get shot on the job receive their gunshot wound from their own gun......sure they were feeling safe too, right up to the point when they were disarmed.

It's one thing to shoot at paper targets to boost your poor self esteem, quite another to actually shoot someone.............

About to lift a ban? You are obiviously out of the loop on current events, that was over two weeks ago and the reason was the "ban" had to include a "sunset clause" because of the arcane nature. It didn't ban semi autos, only semi-autos with "evil features" like flash supressors, bayonet lugs and "conspiciously protruding pistol grips". But its dead and it did absolutely NOTHING to stop rifles designed with only one purpose, that being to discharge a projectile.

Illegal war? Not as illegal as the corruption of the people claiming it was "illegal". Not as illegal as ignorance of sanctions.

Policemen get shot with their own guns because their own guns are exposed. Visible. My legally concealed pistol is invisible to all. When on the bike, it is safely tucked into my saddle bag, taking up less room than a folded Conti SuperSonic tire. The only way you would suspect is my saddle bag goes with me, not the bike.

My life is worth more than my self esteem. That is why I carry.