I'd Like a new Tent...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Helen Deborah V, May 5, 2003.

  1. For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
    lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.

    I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I hope
    to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather difficult.

    What can you lot suggest?

  2. Hello, I have used:- Terra Nova Solar, Vango TBS Micro 2, Vaude Hogan. But, as a solo Tent I now use
    Hilleberg Akto-fabulous. For two person lightweight I feel that Terra Nova Solar must stand as
    winner. Best of luck with your search. Kind regards, John.

    -- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

    John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  3. Jon Martin

    Jon Martin Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht was sufficiently re-animated to talk about I'd Like a new Tent...
    >For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
    >lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.
    >
    >I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
    >hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
    >difficult.

    I've got another Saunders (spacepacker 2) to replace my old Fellpine (original jetpacker).... it's
    lovely, light and reasonably priced. Lots of room in the bells which is nice after the Fellpine....
    not as bad for headroom as the fellpine; more of it and over a decent area; as much as any other
    hike tent (I'm 6' 4" so I get to try it out:). Have a look at www.robertsaunders.co.uk first!

    Cheers

    Jon
    --
    Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking? [email protected] NOT!!
    nospam=defblade

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
    tent somehow?

    --
    ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

  5. [email protected] schreef ...
    > Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
    > tent somehow?

    From 1980, we've always put the bikes (singular since 1990: tandem) against a tree or pole with a
    cable lock around them (it since 1990). Even when we go into town for a bite. Until now, we've never
    had anything stolen, never had anything broken or whatever. At least not at our destinations which
    were/are in France, Germany, UK and the Netherlands.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  6. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
    > tent somehow?

    Locked it to a tree, and covered the chain with a plastic bag to keep the dew off.

    Always check for a suitable secure spot before pitching, and put the bike near your head.

  7. [email protected] schreef ...
    > Hello, I have used:- Terra Nova Solar, Vango TBS Micro 2, Vaude Hogan. But, as a solo Tent I now
    > use Hilleberg Akto-fabulous. For two person lightweight I feel that Terra Nova Solar must stand as
    > winner. Best of luck with your search. Kind regards, John.

    I wanted to promote our Macpac Citadel but a glance at the website learned me it has been
    discontinued - unfortunately.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  8. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Mon, 5 May 2003 13:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> blathered:

    >Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
    >tent somehow?

    I run a cable lock from the bik through the tent door e to my Prince Albert piercing. If I am
    awakened by a searing pain in my genitals during the night I know someone is trying to steal
    my bicycle.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  9. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    >For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
    >lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.
    >
    >I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
    >hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
    >difficult.
    >
    >What can you lot suggest?

    Mountain Hardwear Approach. 2.1 Kg. £199.

    It did us very well when we cycled across the Pyrenees - even kept all our gear dry during the
    famous Pyrenees' storms.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  10. "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
    > lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.
    >
    > I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
    > hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
    > difficult.
    >
    > What can you lot suggest?

    I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for the last four years and have yet to find anything I don't like
    about it. Should meet all your requirements.

    Ken.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Pete Jones <[email protected]> typed:

    > I run a cable lock from the bik through the tent door e to my Prince Albert piercing. If I am
    > awakened by a searing pain in my genitals during the night I know someone is trying to steal my
    > bicycle.

    "Wake up Pete, you've been pulled" ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
    > hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
    > difficult.

    Sticking with Saunders, the obvious one is one of the Spacepacker line. The smallest (Mk1) still
    manages a large porch with 2 doors a side for each occupant and sitting room for each one too, and
    that at an advertised weight of 1.9 Kg (mine actually tips the scales at 1.8). Downsides are that as
    you sleep across the tent and the inner is only as big as it needs to be it isn't the greatest tent
    for tall people, who get a face full of nylon if they sleep on their back. So, how tall is your
    company, and will they likely be sharing it often? If the answers are more than 5'10" and frequently
    perhaps look at the "Plus" model, same thing but a little bigger (and heavier). Note that taller
    people can fit in (I've shared one with a friend who was 6'8"), but doing so in maximum comfort in
    frequent use and once for a night or two are rather different things!

    There are Mk2 models of both the standard and Plus, the difference being that the Mk2 has bigger
    porches (though the Mk1 had class leading porches before the Mk2 came along anyway, with more than
    twice as much useful storage as a Quasar less than half the weight) and a PU coated polyester fly
    rather than a high tenacity ripstop coated in silicone elastomer. What does that mean then... the
    polyester is more UV stable and doesn't stretch after a good soaking, but it's heavier and has lower
    tear strength. You choose, you lose, but I personally see the Mk1 as the better buy.

    The Plus models have more headroom (size diagrams at www.robertsaunders.co.uk). Though the standard
    isn't a huge amount higher than your Jetpacker Plus, the important point is it's high along the
    whole ridge of the inner, not just at a single point. In terms of lightness and usable space you'll
    be hard pushed to beat a Spacepacker IMHO.

    Costing rather more money, being a bit heavier (but still only just over 2 Kg) and less flexible
    entry/exit and storage/cooking setup (one porch and door only) the only other two man lightweight
    I'd really consider myself is the Hilleberg Nallo 2 (see www.hilleberg.se). Hilleberg are probably
    current leaders in terms of quality materials and construction, but you do pay for it.

    HTH, Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Kenneth Clements wrote:

    > I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for the last four years and have yet to find anything I don't like
    > about it. Should meet all your requirements.

    They're quite nice, but...

    - Inner first pitch means the inner gets a good soaking if you pitch in a downpour;

    - Terra Nova use an inner PU coating on the fly so they can tape the seams. Though that sounds
    really good on a marketing brochure unfortunately it's actually a relatively poor solution in a
    tent as PU coating and seam taping both significantly weaken the base nylon by heat ageing it
    during application. Using silicone elastomer coats on both sides and not taping the seams
    (Hilleberg and Saunders both use that technique) gives you a stronger, lighter tent. And the seams
    don't leak either;

    - Porch space is rather limited for two up use, and there's only one door, so you have to fall over
    all your cooking etc. gear when you get up for a leak in the night;

    - Not the lightest or most compact game in town.

    But the pole arrangement means it will stand up to most things and isn't too heavy: a nice "bit of
    everything" design, though if you have the money the Crux tent is considerably stronger and about
    the same weight.

    Pete

    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I run a cable lock from the bike through the tent door to my Prince Albert piercing. If I am
    > awakened by a searing pain in my genitals during the night I know someone is trying to steal my
    > bicycle.

    The start of yet another helmet thread?

    --
    Dave...

  15. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Mon, 5 May 2003 22:20:25 +0100, "Kenneth Clements" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for the last four years and have yet to find anything I don't like
    >about it. Should meet all your requirements.

    Always been wary of Voyagers since sharing a mate's in Glencoe in windy weather, and ending up with
    banana shaped poles.

    My recommendation - a free standing design:
    http://www.thenorthface.com/code/products/product_pages/16138_standard.html Easily pitched on poor
    ground, short packed pole length.

    I use a Terra Nova Solar myself, but it's OK rather than great. I wish you could still get Pheonix
    Phreerangers, the one I had was great.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  16. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
    > tent somehow?

    If you're stuck out in the middle of a treeless moor or similar then you could try this. Get hold of
    a large kite anchor (basically a large aluminium corkscrew, available from all good kite shops if
    you're lucky to have one near you), screw this into the ground and then U-lock your bike to this. If
    someone wants to nick the bike then they'll have to unscrew the anchor from the ground, almost
    impossible if you've locked the bike so that it can't be lifted off the ground. I know the fact that
    it's aluminium is a weakness, but it will deter most casual thieves and I'm sure I'd be woken by the
    sounds of a hacksaw going through aluminium (you may be able to find or even make one from steel,
    but they would weigh a fair bit). It could be made more secure by making a reasonable sized wooden
    disk as a collar for
    it. That way anybody attempting to dig it up (how many bike thieves carry spades?) would have to dig
    a much bigger hole (but this also cuts down on device portability)

    BTW, I have never done this myself, it just crossed my mind as a possible solution a few years back
    when I bought my kite anchor (for my kites, obviously) so feel free to ignore this as the insane
    ramblings of someone suffering bike withdrawal symptoms.

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:
    > Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
    > tent somehow?

    Depends where I am, and which tent and bike I have with me. If it's the Snowcat (a version of the
    Saunders Galaxy) on the MTB then I can just put it in one of the porches. That would work with
    various of Hilleberg's "GT" extended porch tents as well, or the basic Stallon model.

    Camping with the 'bent I probably wouldn't worry beyond a lock to make life a pain. Not a very good
    opportunist blag as most thieves would need a wee while to get used to riding it, and for a more
    considered action you'd score Null Points in choosing such a distinctive machine that would be very
    easy to trace and a PITA to transport.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. I've just bought a new Saunders Satellite plus, which I have not yet had the opportunity to try.
    £254 and weighs under 2 kg.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Thornbury South Gloucestershire <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I have used:- Terra Nova Solar, Vango TBS Micro 2, Vaude Hogan. But, as a solo Tent I now
    > use Hilleberg Akto-fabulous. For two person lightweight I feel that Terra Nova Solar must stand as
    > winner. Best of luck with your search. Kind regards, John.

    2 people in a Solar is fairly cuddly, I'd have thought I can second John's vote for the Akto as the
    best solo tent out there, and Hilleberg (.com) also do a good range of very good 2- and 3-man tents,
    all of which come in either a basic version, or a version with an extended vestibule at one end. One
    (Stalon GT) even has indoor parking for 2 bikes at one end, with a full bell at the other end

  20. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Andrew Sweetman wrote:

    > 2 people in a Solar is fairly cuddly, I'd have thought

    That would depend if it's a Solar or a Solar 2. In either case I'd say nice tent but IMHO you can
    do better.

    > I can second John's vote for the Akto as the best solo tent out there, and Hilleberg (.com) also
    > do a good range of very good 2- and 3-man tents

    and 4!

    > all of which come in either a basic version, or a version with an extended vestibule at one end.

    Not strictly true: it's only the tunnel tents that have this feature, but OTOH that is most of
    their range.

    > One (Stalon GT) even has indoor parking for 2 bikes at one end, with a full bell at the other end

    But being a transverse tunnel the "full bell" is fuller than most and you can get a bike in each end
    of the standard version as well. Also note that the Saunders Galaxy is the same configuration with
    enough space for a bike at each side.

    Hilleberg are, IMHO, as good as you'll get for materials and construction (Saunders use very good
    fabrics too, though their stitching isn't as neat and the poles merely good rather than the best).
    They also all pitch inner and outer together but you can detach the inner for extra party space if
    you like. The catch? you pay more for the best, and Hillebergs ain't cheap :-( And I still prefer
    the design of the Spacepacker 1 for a 1, sometimes 2 up tent (the Akto will only take 1) to anything
    Hilleberg make. 2 big porches and 4 doors are better than 1 of each.