I'd Like a new Tent...

Helen Deborah V

Guest
For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.

I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I hope
to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather difficult.

What can you lot suggest?

Hello, I have used:- Terra Nova Solar, Vango TBS Micro 2, Vaude Hogan. But, as a solo Tent I now use
Hilleberg Akto-fabulous. For two person lightweight I feel that Terra Nova Solar must stand as
winner. Best of luck with your search. Kind regards, John.

-- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

Helen Deborah Vecht was sufficiently re-animated to talk about I'd Like a new Tent...
>For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
>lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.
>
>I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
>hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
>difficult.

I've got another Saunders (spacepacker 2) to replace my old Fellpine (original jetpacker).... it's
lovely, light and reasonably priced. Lots of room in the bells which is nice after the Fellpine....
not as bad for headroom as the fellpine; more of it and over a decent area; as much as any other
hike tent (I'm 6' 4" so I get to try it out:). Have a look at www.robertsaunders.co.uk first!

Cheers

Jon
--
Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking? [email protected] NOT!!
nospam=defblade

Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
tent somehow?

--
----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

[email protected] schreef ...
> Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
> tent somehow?

From 1980, we've always put the bikes (singular since 1990: tandem) against a tree or pole with a
cable lock around them (it since 1990). Even when we go into town for a bite. Until now, we've never
had anything stolen, never had anything broken or whatever. At least not at our destinations which
were/are in France, Germany, UK and the Netherlands.

--
Regards, Marten

"Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
> tent somehow?

Locked it to a tree, and covered the chain with a plastic bag to keep the dew off.

Always check for a suitable secure spot before pitching, and put the bike near your head.

[email protected] schreef ...
> Hello, I have used:- Terra Nova Solar, Vango TBS Micro 2, Vaude Hogan. But, as a solo Tent I now
> use Hilleberg Akto-fabulous. For two person lightweight I feel that Terra Nova Solar must stand as
> winner. Best of luck with your search. Kind regards, John.

I wanted to promote our Macpac Citadel but a glance at the website learned me it has been
discontinued - unfortunately.

--
Regards, Marten

On Mon, 5 May 2003 13:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> blathered:

>Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
>tent somehow?

I run a cable lock from the bik through the tent door e to my Prince Albert piercing. If I am
awakened by a searing pain in my genitals during the night I know someone is trying to steal
my bicycle.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

>For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
>lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.
>
>I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
>hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
>difficult.
>
>What can you lot suggest?

Mountain Hardwear Approach. 2.1 Kg. £199.

It did us very well when we cycled across the Pyrenees - even kept all our gear dry during the
famous Pyrenees' storms.
--
remove remove to reply

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For the York Rally I'd like it to be roomy (2+ people), with good headroom. It should also be
> lightweight as I'm car-free. Price is not really a problem.
>
> I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
> hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
> difficult.
>
> What can you lot suggest?

I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for the last four years and have yet to find anything I don't like
about it. Should meet all your requirements.

Ken.

In news:[email protected], Pete Jones <[email protected]> typed:

> I run a cable lock from the bik through the tent door e to my Prince Albert piercing. If I am
> awakened by a searing pain in my genitals during the night I know someone is trying to steal my
> bicycle.

"Wake up Pete, you've been pulled" ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I've had a Saunders Jet-Packer Plus for the past 15 years, which has served me very well, but I
> hope to have company this year and I feel I need more headroom as I find squatting rather
> difficult.

Sticking with Saunders, the obvious one is one of the Spacepacker line. The smallest (Mk1) still
manages a large porch with 2 doors a side for each occupant and sitting room for each one too, and
that at an advertised weight of 1.9 Kg (mine actually tips the scales at 1.8). Downsides are that as
you sleep across the tent and the inner is only as big as it needs to be it isn't the greatest tent
for tall people, who get a face full of nylon if they sleep on their back. So, how tall is your
company, and will they likely be sharing it often? If the answers are more than 5'10" and frequently
perhaps look at the "Plus" model, same thing but a little bigger (and heavier). Note that taller
people can fit in (I've shared one with a friend who was 6'8"), but doing so in maximum comfort in
frequent use and once for a night or two are rather different things!

There are Mk2 models of both the standard and Plus, the difference being that the Mk2 has bigger
porches (though the Mk1 had class leading porches before the Mk2 came along anyway, with more than
twice as much useful storage as a Quasar less than half the weight) and a PU coated polyester fly
rather than a high tenacity ripstop coated in silicone elastomer. What does that mean then... the
polyester is more UV stable and doesn't stretch after a good soaking, but it's heavier and has lower
tear strength. You choose, you lose, but I personally see the Mk1 as the better buy.

The Plus models have more headroom (size diagrams at www.robertsaunders.co.uk). Though the standard
isn't a huge amount higher than your Jetpacker Plus, the important point is it's high along the
whole ridge of the inner, not just at a single point. In terms of lightness and usable space you'll
be hard pushed to beat a Spacepacker IMHO.

Costing rather more money, being a bit heavier (but still only just over 2 Kg) and less flexible
entry/exit and storage/cooking setup (one porch and door only) the only other two man lightweight
I'd really consider myself is the Hilleberg Nallo 2 (see www.hilleberg.se). Hilleberg are probably
current leaders in terms of quality materials and construction, but you do pay for it.

HTH, Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Kenneth Clements wrote:

> I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for the last four years and have yet to find anything I don't like
> about it. Should meet all your requirements.

They're quite nice, but...

- Inner first pitch means the inner gets a good soaking if you pitch in a downpour;

- Terra Nova use an inner PU coating on the fly so they can tape the seams. Though that sounds
really good on a marketing brochure unfortunately it's actually a relatively poor solution in a
tent as PU coating and seam taping both significantly weaken the base nylon by heat ageing it
during application. Using silicone elastomer coats on both sides and not taping the seams
(Hilleberg and Saunders both use that technique) gives you a stronger, lighter tent. And the seams
don't leak either;

- Porch space is rather limited for two up use, and there's only one door, so you have to fall over
all your cooking etc. gear when you get up for a leak in the night;

- Not the lightest or most compact game in town.

But the pole arrangement means it will stand up to most things and isn't too heavy: a nice "bit of
everything" design, though if you have the money the Crux tent is considerably stronger and about
the same weight.

Pete

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I run a cable lock from the bike through the tent door to my Prince Albert piercing. If I am
> awakened by a searing pain in my genitals during the night I know someone is trying to steal my
> bicycle.

The start of yet another helmet thread?

--
Dave...

On Mon, 5 May 2003 22:20:25 +0100, "Kenneth Clements" <[email protected]> blathered:

>I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for the last four years and have yet to find anything I don't like
>about it. Should meet all your requirements.

Always been wary of Voyagers since sharing a mate's in Glencoe in windy weather, and ending up with
banana shaped poles.

My recommendation - a free standing design:
http://www.thenorthface.com/code/products/product_pages/16138_standard.html Easily pitched on poor
ground, short packed pole length.

I use a Terra Nova Solar myself, but it's OK rather than great. I wish you could still get Pheonix
Phreerangers, the one I had was great.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
> tent somehow?

If you're stuck out in the middle of a treeless moor or similar then you could try this. Get hold of
a large kite anchor (basically a large aluminium corkscrew, available from all good kite shops if
you're lucky to have one near you), screw this into the ground and then U-lock your bike to this. If
someone wants to nick the bike then they'll have to unscrew the anchor from the ground, almost
impossible if you've locked the bike so that it can't be lifted off the ground. I know the fact that
it's aluminium is a weakness, but it will deter most casual thieves and I'm sure I'd be woken by the
sounds of a hacksaw going through aluminium (you may be able to find or even make one from steel,
but they would weigh a fair bit). It could be made more secure by making a reasonable sized wooden
disk as a collar for
it. That way anybody attempting to dig it up (how many bike thieves carry spades?) would have to dig
a much bigger hole (but this also cuts down on device portability)

BTW, I have never done this myself, it just crossed my mind as a possible solution a few years back
when I bought my kite anchor (for my kites, obviously) so feel free to ignore this as the insane
ramblings of someone suffering bike withdrawal symptoms.

Have fun!

Graeme

Alex Graham wrote:
> Out of interest, what do you do with the bike when camping? Lock it to a tree, or put it in the
> tent somehow?

Depends where I am, and which tent and bike I have with me. If it's the Snowcat (a version of the
Saunders Galaxy) on the MTB then I can just put it in one of the porches. That would work with
various of Hilleberg's "GT" extended porch tents as well, or the basic Stallon model.

Camping with the 'bent I probably wouldn't worry beyond a lock to make life a pain. Not a very good
opportunist blag as most thieves would need a wee while to get used to riding it, and for a more
considered action you'd score Null Points in choosing such a distinctive machine that would be very
easy to trace and a PITA to transport.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I've just bought a new Saunders Satellite plus, which I have not yet had the opportunity to try.
£254 and weighs under 2 kg.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Thornbury South Gloucestershire <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I have used:- Terra Nova Solar, Vango TBS Micro 2, Vaude Hogan. But, as a solo Tent I now
> use Hilleberg Akto-fabulous. For two person lightweight I feel that Terra Nova Solar must stand as
> winner. Best of luck with your search. Kind regards, John.

2 people in a Solar is fairly cuddly, I'd have thought I can second John's vote for the Akto as the
best solo tent out there, and Hilleberg (.com) also do a good range of very good 2- and 3-man tents,
all of which come in either a basic version, or a version with an extended vestibule at one end. One
(Stalon GT) even has indoor parking for 2 bikes at one end, with a full bell at the other end

Andrew Sweetman wrote:

> 2 people in a Solar is fairly cuddly, I'd have thought

That would depend if it's a Solar or a Solar 2. In either case I'd say nice tent but IMHO you can
do better.

> I can second John's vote for the Akto as the best solo tent out there, and Hilleberg (.com) also
> do a good range of very good 2- and 3-man tents

and 4!

> all of which come in either a basic version, or a version with an extended vestibule at one end.

Not strictly true: it's only the tunnel tents that have this feature, but OTOH that is most of
their range.

> One (Stalon GT) even has indoor parking for 2 bikes at one end, with a full bell at the other end

But being a transverse tunnel the "full bell" is fuller than most and you can get a bike in each end
of the standard version as well. Also note that the Saunders Galaxy is the same configuration with
enough space for a bike at each side.

Hilleberg are, IMHO, as good as you'll get for materials and construction (Saunders use very good
fabrics too, though their stitching isn't as neat and the poles merely good rather than the best).
They also all pitch inner and outer together but you can detach the inner for extra party space if
you like. The catch? you pay more for the best, and Hillebergs ain't cheap :-( And I still prefer
the design of the Spacepacker 1 for a 1, sometimes 2 up tent (the Akto will only take 1) to anything
Hilleberg make. 2 big porches and 4 doors are better than 1 of each.