Jobst Brandt article "making a tubular tire"

How come Jobst hasn't written an article on waxing a bike. I just waxed my
bike last weekend and it rolls faster by at least 1 mph. At least it feels
like it's faster. I waxed the spokes as well I thought I was getting a lot
of resistance from the dirt or corrosion, and 32 spokes pattern. It seems to
ride quieter, or slip through the air smoother.
Just saying;
Greg :)
news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:54:55 -0700, g wrote:

> How come Jobst hasn't written an article on waxing a bike.

Because once you've learned to wax your own legs, you can
wax anything!

On 20 Mar 2007 17:32:17 -0700, "tonyfranciozi"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/making-tubulars.html
>has anyone read this article/actually made their own tubulars? I'd
>like to try my hand at it but cant find a good source for some of the
>hard to find materials like latex tubing and tire tread. Any insight
>on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
>thanks
>
>Doug

I hope you're trolling - because otherwise, you're nuts.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted for being so god damned
encouraging.

On 21 Mar, 20:26, "tonyfranciozi" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'd like to thank everyone who posted for being so god damned
> encouraging.

Perfectly good reasons to be thankful.

Sergio
Pisa

"tonyfranciozi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd like to thank everyone who posted for being so god damned
>encouraging.

Don't let 'em get you down. They're probably just jealous of ANYONE
who's got enough free time on their hands to be contemplating building
their own tubulars.

OTOH, I guess I don't really have anything substantive to add either.
;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Dude.....Mark

That post is Spam Advertisement. What you talking about the $795 ti made
frame, and web address spam.
Nobody needs ti frames anyhow, steel is the real deal.
I read the whole article about making your home made
tubulars, let me say it again, I read all of it.
I would advise against something as critical as making your own tubulars.
You might ask why?? Cause when your going 45 Mph you wouldn't want the thing
to pop.
Would anyone here that ever reads these posts, would you put your life one a
home made tubular. I know it might sound like a C~O~O~L article but one of
jobst most useless one's.
OK you might think I have an attitude, but what would you do if you did
build your own tubular. First thing you would do is see how fast you could
go on it and push your luck. You would push that tire until it popped, and
you would die. I don't know how many of you out there that read the forum,
but my guess is that you don't know what it is like to eat asphalt at 35 Mph
and over.
I can finish what I am saying here, that it is fun until you get hurt.
Good point though mark, a lot of people don't have the time to make their
own tires. I will admit I have never run on tubulars either. Even the pros
are going with the clinchers now days.
About the Jobst article, I am a very picture oriented and details explained
type person. That article with a picture of a valve stem, couldn't help me
make my own tubes. I don't think anyone on the forum would be able to make a
tubular with the short explaination. Ok, even if Jobst told you everything
to do to make the best tubulars, even better than money could buy, how many
people on the forum have the talent to make a perfect tubular, and use the
thing and race on it. Shoot if anybody on the forum is making your own
tubulars and racing on them then post pictures. I think it will be great to
hear about it.
Greg here :)

On 22 Mar, 06:46, "g" <[email protected]> wrote:
Shoot if anybody on the forum is making your own
> tubulars and racing on them then post pictures. I think it will be great to
> hear about it.

The farthest I went was opening up a whole tubular to replace the
tube, then restitching it all around. The result was not so bad, but
the effort certainly beyond reason.
That was only for the kicks, more or less like when I made my own
wooden rims.

Sergio
Pisa

On Mar 20, 6:54 pm, "g" <[email protected]> wrote:
> How come Jobst hasn't written an article on waxing a bike. I just waxed my
> bike last weekend and it rolls faster by at least 1 mph. At least it feels
> like it's faster. I waxed the spokes as well I thought I was getting a lot
> of resistance from the dirt or corrosion, and 32 spokes pattern. It seems to
> ride quieter, or slip through the air smoother.

Now wax your arms. legs, any exposed skin...faster still..

Sergio Servadio writes:

>> Shoot if anybody on the forum is making your own tubulars and
>> racing on them then post pictures. I think it will be great to hear
>> about it.

> The farthest I went was opening up a whole tubular to replace the
> tube, then restitching it all around. The result was not so bad, but
> the effort certainly beyond reason. That was only for the kicks,
> more or less like when I made my own wooden rims.

Ooh! Don't do that. I guess that's an exercise reserved for a cold
and rainy day but the gratuitous sewing is a bit much.

There is an easier way:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

Jobst Brandt

On 22 Mar, 18:00, [email protected] wrote:
> Sergio Servadio writes:
> Ooh! Don't do that. I guess that's an exercise reserved for a cold
> and rainy day but the gratuitous sewing is a bit much.
> There is an easier way:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

At that time, around 1974, I was not aware of internet (was it around,
anyhow?), nor of that possibility of replacement and repair. So I did
it the tough way.
To tell the truth I am not sure I would be able to do it even now,
after reading these instructions.

Sergio
Pisa

g wrote:
> That post is Spam Advertisement. What you talking about the $795 ti made
> frame, and web address spam.
> Nobody needs ti frames anyhow, steel is the real deal.
> I read the whole article about making your home made
> tubulars, let me say it again, I read all of it.
> I would advise against something as critical as making your own tubulars.
> You might ask why?? Cause when your going 45 Mph you wouldn't want the thing
> to pop.
> Would anyone here that ever reads these posts, would you put your life one a
> home made tubular. I know it might sound like a C~O~O~L article but one of
> jobst most useless one's.
> OK you might think I have an attitude, but what would you do if you did
> build your own tubular. First thing you would do is see how fast you could
> go on it and push your luck. You would push that tire until it popped, and
> you would die. I don't know how many of you out there that read the forum,
> but my guess is that you don't know what it is like to eat asphalt at 35 Mph
> and over.
> I can finish what I am saying here, that it is fun until you get hurt.
> Good point though mark, a lot of people don't have the time to make their
> own tires. I will admit I have never run on tubulars either. Even the pros
> are going with the clinchers now days.
> About the Jobst article, I am a very picture oriented and details explained
> type person. That article with a picture of a valve stem, couldn't help me
> make my own tubes. I don't think anyone on the forum would be able to make a
> tubular with the short explaination. Ok, even if Jobst told you everything
> to do to make the best tubulars, even better than money could buy, how many
> people on the forum have the talent to make a perfect tubular, and use the
> thing and race on it. Shoot if anybody on the forum is making your own
> tubulars and racing on them then post pictures. I think it will be great to
> hear about it.

Respectfully, you have absolutely no idea at all of the things you wrote
about.

1. It is perfectly possible to make tubulars, as evidenced by it having
been done. Successfully. If the OP has the requisite desire and skills, WTF?

2. Your 'what if it fails?' comments are based on putative situations
unrelated to making a tubular. Can we not assume the constructor would
_know_ if a stitch were dropped?

3. Mark Hickey is not a spammer. He's a reliable and sincere vendor of
good quality frames.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

thanks guys, great to get different opinions on the matter. If i do
give this a shot i'll post pics.