Lance to run NY Marathon

I ran 48 minutes for the first 10k and around 93 minutes for the last 10k ! Thats how bad I hit the wall !

I read this on the web today which made me feel better... I thought I was being a cranky ******* but it happens to everyone..... I am in disarray ! Its all about glycogen !

Hitting the wall

First: You have to slow down – a lot—to provide extra oxygen to metabolize fat.

How much slower depends on the runner. Some runners dread this inevitable point in a race and others claim to never feel it. The Wall exists in varying degrees, ranging from slight discomfort to exhaustion. The Wall is part physiological, part psychological, and part runner's lore. This much is sure: if you don't prepare for it, the Wall will destroy your race.

Second: The mental fade sets in. You feel light-headed, uncoordinated, confused, depressed, unmotivated, irritable and even cranky. Now you not only can't run any faster, you don't care. That's because low liver glycogen causes a shortage of blood and brain sugar. A classic sign is you just want to lie down and take a nap …right in the middle of all the hoopla

meandmybike said:
WBT in disarray? :D

1:36 for the first half (or any half) is bloody good.

I think it was Mark Allen who said a marathon is 20 miles of hoping and 6.2 miles of finding out.

Good work.

whiteboytrash said:
I ran 48 minutes for the first 10k and around 93 minutes for the last 10k ! Thats how bad I hit the wall !

I read this on the web today which made me feel better... I thought I was being a cranky ******* but it happens to everyone..... I am in disarray ! Its all about glycogen !

Hitting the wall

First: You have to slow down – a lot—to provide extra oxygen to metabolize fat.

How much slower depends on the runner. Some runners dread this inevitable point in a race and others claim to never feel it. The Wall exists in varying degrees, ranging from slight discomfort to exhaustion. The Wall is part physiological, part psychological, and part runner's lore. This much is sure: if you don't prepare for it, the Wall will destroy your race.

Second: The mental fade sets in. You feel light-headed, uncoordinated, confused, depressed, unmotivated, irritable and even cranky. Now you not only can't run any faster, you don't care. That's because low liver glycogen causes a shortage of blood and brain sugar. A classic sign is you just want to lie down and take a nap …right in the middle of all the hoopla
WBT. I feel for you, because my wife had similar issues. She was trying to qualify for the Boston, and in her age group that meant running a 3:45. At mile marker 22 she was 2 minutes ahead of pace, and then the wall appeared. In her defense, a lot of the competitors started to wilt at the same point, because the route turned right into a 20 mph headwind on a rainy morning on Tampa Bay, but nonetheless she missed her goal by a lousy few minutes. I have immense respect for marathoners. Me, I can pedal like a madman for days and keep up with most anyone, but something about the mechanics of running -- I'm out of gas after about 10K or so. Much respect to you and all the other competitors.

whiteboytrash said:
I'll keep this in mind ! Thanks ! :( Any suggestions ? Massage, painkillers, beer ?
You Averaged: 3:52 = 232 minutes / 26.2 = 8:48 minutes per mile
First half 1:36 = 96 minutes / 13.1 = 7:18 minutes per mile

You might think you slowed down alot but in reality you only slowed down by 1:30 per mile which is nothing!

I'm planning on doing a few 10 or 5 k races this year if i can find the time to train decently enough. Last year I made a mistake by overtraining, got a virus and couldn't run (nor much else) because of severe fatigue that lasted months.
I'm sure I could have done at least 40 minute 10k(6.2miles), maybe less which isn't bad for my first race.

Sounds as though you didn't have the endurance, i'm sure you'd do much better in a 10k based on your first half.

Thats to bad... shame she didn't make it... she kicked my **** thou ! :)

London was a great day for the runners... very cool, some very light rain and no wind to speak of.... no so great for the spectators but good for running...

One other thing that is better for cyclists is eating and drinking on the run.. this is hard to do when running but on a bike you can free-wheel and eat a steak or a bottle of vino la rouge or something for extra energy... I find it so hard to drink when running and I used the carbo gels but still found it hard to get them down..... anway thanks for the messages and hope your wife makes it next year,.... :)

rejobako said:
WBT. I feel for you, because my wife had similar issues. She was trying to qualify for the Boston, and in her age group that meant running a 3:45. At mile marker 22 she was 2 minutes ahead of pace, and then the wall appeared. In her defense, a lot of the competitors started to wilt at the same point, because the route turned right into a 20 mph headwind on a rainy morning on Tampa Bay, but nonetheless she missed her goal by a lousy few minutes. I have immense respect for marathoners. Me, I can pedal like a madman for days and keep up with most anyone, but something about the mechanics of running -- I'm out of gas after about 10K or so. Much respect to you and all the other competitors.

whiteboytrash said:
Thats to bad... shame she didn't make it... she kicked my **** thou ! :)

London was a great day for the runners... very cool, some very light rain and no wind to speak of.... no so great for the spectators but good for running...

One other thing that is better for cyclists is eating and drinking on the run.. this is hard to do when running but on a bike you can free-wheel and eat a steak or a bottle of vino la rouge or something for extra energy... I find it so hard to drink when running and I used the carbo gels but still found it hard to get them down..... anway thanks for the messages and hope your wife makes it next year,.... :)
You went out way too fast and blew up.
A rookie mistake.
Even Lance knows better.
I wonder what your CPK is today. he he
you are a waster...get out and ride your bike you whimp and stop whinging all the freekin time about your poncey marathon pains

be a man

whiteboytrash said:
I'll keep this in mind ! Thanks ! :( Any suggestions ? Massage, painkillers, beer ?
It may not make sense but stay away from hot baths and tubs. Ten minutes in an ice bath would do wonders. It is completely miserable but makes all the difference in the world. :eek: That, eating well, and getting hydrated. Beer hits the spot but delays recovery.. I should know since I usually have my first one within an hour or two of race finish. Wait another day or two before massage. Also, if walking down stairs is essentially impossible, you are not alone, try them backwards and it's a bit easier on the legs.:(

A former coach who has done many marathons and ironman triathlons told me even ironman is much easier than a hard marathon. Riding a bike will tire you out but nothing hurts quite like a marathon. Nice work again.

whiteboytrash said:
I ran 3 hours and 52 minutes in Sunday's London marathon... it nearly killed me.... I needed EPO bad ! I ran the first half in 1 hour 36 but failed badly.... the last 6 miles were horriable.... if Lance can run sub 2.30 then he has got some help.... never again for me !
Way to go WBT !

The picture below is a picture I have setting to my left in my cubical. It's a picture the I have framed from my 2002 Runners World Calendar. The picture is called "Mid-Pack Attack", these are runners from the 2001 London Marathon. Tanja, the gal on the left bib#37162 ran for the Lisa Thaxter trust and she wasn't wearing a chip so no results for her in the 2001 results page, same goes for the big guy in yellow bib #506 to the right. however, David Freeman (GBR), center of picture, bib #18451 ran the marathon in the 20-25 age group in 04:27:30, not bad for the recreational jogger. In 2002 he came back and ran a sub 3 hour marathon at 02:49:00 I believe. Very impressive.

I keep that picture around to inspire me. One of my life goals is to run the London.

Did you see Deena and Paula ?;)

lw

whiteboytrash said:
I ran 3 hours and 52 minutes in Sunday's London marathon... it nearly killed me.... I needed EPO bad ! I ran the first half in 1 hour 36 but failed badly.... the last 6 miles were horriable.... if Lance can run sub 2.30 then he has got some help.... never again for me !

WBT, awesome, man! Like others have said, sub 4 on your first marathon is pretty awesome. I bet the crowds were amazing!

When I ran a couple of summers ago, I ran with my (ex) girlfriend for the first 13 miles, which helped keep my pace down, and then was able to lift it in the second half.

But I agree, the last few miles were brutal... except, strangely, i got a little second wind between mile 24 and 25... but anyway, at the end I was cooked.

Anyway, congrats. Nice race!

Next year I plan to underpay 7 Spanish/Porto runners to pace me for the first 20 miles then I will attack in the last 6 miles and break 3 hours.... I'll then write two books about my run and then cash in on the brand of my running shoes and my new training techniques..... I will then dump my wife and go out with a rockstar and dump her later on as well to drink beer with Sandra Bullock.... :p

bobke said:
You went out way too fast and blew up.
A rookie mistake.
Even Lance knows better.
I wonder what your CPK is today. he he
you are a waster...get out and ride your bike you whimp and stop whinging all the freekin time about your poncey marathon pains

be a man

whiteboytrash said:
Next year I plan to underpay 7 Spanish/Porto runners to pace me for the first 20 miles then I will attack in the last 6 miles and break 3 hours.... I'll then write two books about my run and then cash in on the brand of my running shoes and my new training techniques..... I will then dump my wife and go out with a rockstar and dump her later on as well to drink beer with Sandra Bullock.... :p
You forgot something. You have to get one testicle removed before you can do any of that. Have fun. ;)

Ouch! That certainly puts it in perspective...

thebluetrain said:
You forgot something. You have to get one testicle removed before you can do any of that. Have fun. ;)

thebluetrain said:
I would have thought Dodgeball would have been the one testicle sport. Humm, I'm giving up running then.

lw

I think some of you guys forget that in general running is harder that biking.

A rider can finish a 200 km mountain stage, and yet get on the bike the next day and do another 200 km mountain stage. We have seen that in the TdF many times.

A profesional runner can NOT go out and run again the day following a Marathon. He must spend the whole day resting.

sopas said:
I think some of you guys forget that in general running is harder that biking.

A rider can finish a 200 km mountain stage, and yet get on the bike the next day and do another 200 km mountain stage. We have seen that in the TdF many times.

A profesional runner can NOT go out and run again the day following a Marathon. He must spend the whole day resting.
I don't think anyone's denying it but yea, you're right. The thing I hate about running is that you never really get a break... I mean even running downhill can be painful since you're still running. In cycling, downhills and flats are kind of a reward and aren't that demanding physically.

PartisanRanger said:
I don't think anyone's denying it but yea, you're right. The thing I hate about running is that you never really get a break... I mean even running downhill can be painful since you're still running. In cycling, downhills and flats are kind of a reward and aren't that demanding physically.
True, except when you are on a chase or in a ITT.
I think the main difference is that on the bike the rider is sat almost all the time.

If you take a rider and make him ride for 2 hours and 10 minutes all out and alone, he will finish very tired, but never as much tired as a Marathon runner who spends the same time running.

whiteboytrash said:
Right on dude!!!!!!!!!!
at least you're getting it right finally!!
dont forget the EPO BTW