Lemond v. Trek

"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Dans le message de news:[email protected],
| Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
|
| >Are you certain that it was a "failure" that sales didn't hit the
| > minimum quota? Trek did, if I read it correctly, pay Greg the minimum
| > royalty as required in the contract.
|
| Yes, I'm reasonably certain. If you were, for example, a car salesman,
with
| a guarantee of $250 a week, and almost all customers were directed to
| someone else, would you consider that the employer was giving you a fair
| chance to earn your expected living? Secondly, does the car enterprise
| benefit by giving away money for low returns? Does it benefit from
| mothballing a brand name? I think we'd all like to know, but that is far
| from reasonable to hope to learn, as facts.

You're making at least two assumptions. First, that sales in Europe would
have been significant had Trek tried to really push LeMond. And second, that
Trek moved LeMond sales into Trek. Could be that neither is true. I've spent
time in France each July since 2000, and know the distributor & euro manager
quite well. France is *not* an easy place to sell bikes, at least not bikes
from "elsewhere." As I'm sure you're aware, the typical French bicycle shop
isn't well-schooled in the finer points of customer service, keeps difficult
hours, and has a very patronizing attitude towards both customers and
suppliers. Most bikes are sold by retail chains like Decathlon Sports and
Intersport, where, in a reversal of what we see in the US, customer service
and product selection is actually much better than at the local retailer.
Neither of the two distribution channels have been favorably-disposed to
US-based brands, for different reasons. The consumer, on the other hand, has
seemed more than willing to buy a Trek. On each of my visits I had many
locals admiring my bike; there is certainly no widespread animosity towards
American brands (nor, among "the people", American athletes either... the
French Press is another thing entirely).

Trek's had a very difficult time moving any of their bikes there; only very
recently are they seeing a small amount of success. The entire country of
France, for example, has been an account about the size of my two stores. If
Trek were "directing" sales away from LeMond and towards Trek... well, let's
just say that an intelligent but unschooled (in the ways of French bicycle
retail) person would probably choose a target number for LeMond sales that
wouldn't have been met by Trek itself.

Things could be very different elsewhere in Europe. In fact, I know they
are. Otherwise Trek & LeMond couldn't afford to be there at all. I chose
France as an example because that's the only country I know first-hand.

My point is simply that a number may have been chosen for the minimum sales
figure that someone knowing all the facts would have seen as very wishful
thinking, even with everything done right. A person without all the facts
would have thought that same number quite low. This is why I'm thinking Greg
may have wisely chosen structured his "royalty" to be more like a "fee" with
only a slight possibility that it (the minimum) would be exceeded, but yet a
guarantee of some reasonable amount of money.

But this is entirely conjecture on my part. I'm looking at incomplete
information and simply pointing out that things might not appear exactly as
they seem.

| > In that scenario, Greg simply felt that his name was
| > worth X dollars, period, and if Trek were to sell even more than
| > expected, he'd be further rewarded.
|
| If Trek wanted to keep a potential rivalry from erupting into a business
| feud, detrimental to both parties, perhaps Trek was willing to increase
the
| cost of keeping a competitor out of the game. Just a possibility,
although
| I can't suggest it is the likely one. If that were the case, and Greg
| agreed in principle, I bet he would not have settled at the level that was
| agreed. I think this is partially evidenced even in the stuff you have
| written.

I can't quite get my arms wrapped around what you're saying here. Plus I'm a
bit concerned about what I might have said that led you to believe something
I don't understand. :>)

| > That is a similar concept to business rents where, if sales exceed a
| > certain amount, you owe the landlord more.
|
| In the sense that _all_ license agreements foresee (at their optimistic
| origins) rising benefit levels, you are correct. However, when the object
| is not to see increased sales, thus royalties, it is irrelevant.

It is very difficult to construct a model in which Trek doesn't think
increased sales of LeMond would be a good thing. Corporate thinking at Trek
has *always* been "more brands/more models/more sizes/more colors/more
sales. Simplicity in presentation is not something they believe in. They
think they need a zillion offerings to try and snag every possible customer.
And to that end, they have multiple brands. LeMond was an integral part of
that strategy. They felt, and still feel, that there is a consumer who will
buy a LeMond who would not buy a Trek.

That is Trek thinking, not mine. I can go along with multiple lines with
clear product diffentiation, but I think Trek itself has too many offerings
and thus a diluted message. What *is* Trek's message? Bikes for everyone?
(In reality, Trek believes, and I think has proven to be true, that bikes
benefit greatly from massive product research & development efforts, and
that technology is the key to building a better bike, which costs a lot of
money... and of course, the bigger you are, the easier it is to execute that
strategy, to the detriment of smaller players who cannot afford to keep up).

In any event, the LeMond line has had great and selfish support from a
number of Trek employees in Waterloo. People who have fought hard for
resources and outspent Trek dramatically on a per-bike marketing & R&D
basis. You don't do that for a line that you don't believe has a future.

| I think the parties each know part of the truth and remain ignorant of
other
| elements. But it does bear noting that the Armstrong shareholding in
later
| years may weigh more heavily on the decisions Trek made, on balance. It's
| true that Armstrong, as shareholder, would benefit by increased Lemond
sales
| going to the bottom line, but if there were other motivations that
tempered
| the hunger for that specific profit, including the business judgment that
| supporting a minor line did not generate the returns that the promotional
| efforts would cost, that could also lead to the results Lemond complains
of
| in the papers.

I am told that the amount of Trek owned by Lance is quite small, even
miniscule. But it's been described in exactly those terms, which really
don't tell us much. But I think they do tell us enough to believe that even
a wildly-successful LeMond line isn't going to substantially contribute to
Lance's bottom line. One thing I am sure of though. Lance has nothing to do
with bottom-line decisions in Waterloo. I would have heard about that. Lance
did have a *huge* effect on product development, as far as pushing the
development of race bike technology. But I don't think even then he had any
sensitivity to cost or budget. He just wanted the best-possible machine to
ride (and was extraordinarily picky in some ways, and strangely
dispassionate in others... I think the engineers had a love/hate
relationship with him).

But forget Lance (which is hard to do, when he's mentioned so many times in
Greg's filing). One need only look at the LeMond product line and its
marketing to see that it wasn't old, it wasn't being neglected, it wasn't
getting a 2nd-best effort. Some of the most-creative product & marketing
have been found on the LeMond side. And frankly, it was always surprising to
me, each year, to see how many people were working on the LeMond side, in
marketing & product & graphics, compared to the Trek side. If LeMond had
1/10th the sales of Trek, it appeared they had 1/2 the staff. That's just
how it looked to me, from the outside. And, as I said earlier, the LeMond
folk fought for all the resources they could get (and were very good at it).
Maybe it was a "We're #2 but we try harder" type of thing going on. I just
can't believe that Greg could have visited Waterloo Wisconsin and not been
very impressed by their efforts.

| I'm reading you - hope you will continue the dialogue.

That might be tough. With RBR's plethora of intelligent, civil & rational
discussions to choose from... :>)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

RicodJour wrote:
> On Apr 9, 7:08 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>> What was your other nom de net, again, TK? Didn't that one have like
>>> 12,000 posts or something? Some large percentage during "working" (ha
>>> ha, right?) hours?

>> What the hell are you talking about? I've been posting since the group
>> started. That probably adds up to a lot of postings. Especially since in the
>> early days there were actually people to talk to. So that's this "nom de
>> net" you're talking about? As far as I can recall I've never used anything
>> other than cyclintom.

> Google disagrees with you. Their list of the all time top posters to
> this newsgroup:
>
> All time
> 6842 Tom Kunich
> 4838 [email protected]
> 4589 [email protected]
>
> Your recall doesn't go very far it seems. Either that or your chimera
> is at it again.

I remember for a fact that Tom has used other names than cyclintom
because I have had to sort other addresses of his into my killfile when
he retires the older one.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 9, 8:02 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Well I googled this group for "Kunich".
>>> Result:
>>> <40,200 results for kunich>
>>> I'll get back to you later on the ID thing.

>> So let's see, 20 years of postings - that's like what - 5 posts a day? By
>> the way, in the earlier days I posted to technical groups as well.

> And how many so far this week? During work hours? --D-y

I'll bet he doesn't work, and hasn't for quite a while. The meds
obviously interfere with his ability to concentrate.

Fred Fredburger wrote:
> You want us to believe you've been posting here since 1988? IMPOSSIBLE! I
> have it on good authority that money hadn't even been invented then.
> Without money, you couldn't even have bought a computer.

You could perhaps barter an old XT for an even older Fuji.

Bill C wrote:
> He'd be SO easy to do with a bot it's ridiculous. His trying to tell
> Howard how to be a machinist was classic. It'd be kinda like me explaining
> to Lance how he had his training all wrong and I could fix it.

I'm planning on telling Howard how to make Look cleats.

On Apr 9, 6:45 pm, "Sandy" wrote:

> The failure to support was from 1995-9, resulting in a modified K which
> compelled greater efforts on Trek's part, which was also not performed (per
> sales figures) for the next several years, also.  Armstrong was not yet in
> the picture when the defaults occurred (according to papers).
>
> Incidentally, when a Lemond bike is sighted in France, yes, it is (and has
> been for a great long time) the subject of envy.

Lemond paint and graphics were and are at least some small part of the
package, IMHO.

Lemond bikes had not only Greg's racing success as a positive, but
Greg's "take" on geometry (long top tube, slack angles), which tied in
with his popular "how-to" book. Including the "higher saddle"
positioning suggestions, Hinault is very much in the background not
only as a source of "cycling knowledge" (gag me, but...), but as
someone who Greg bettered in competition. So is Sean Kelly <g>. Not to
mention Lemond's fabled "beating all the Seniors when he was a Junior"
domestic (USA) racing history. Or the comeback, or being able to win
Worlds with essentially no national team to back him up, and being
able to win the TdF while not on a powerhouse team.

Well, OK, I mentioned the racing success; but who could be more
marketable, especially in the USA?

Which makes me wonder about why, well before the Armstrong Problem,
Trek would seemingly want to distance itself from Greg Lemond. --D-y

On Apr 9, 10:32 pm, "Tom Kunich":

> Why am I not surprised that you say such things?

Well, possibly because I've said them before? As have others?

> Could it be that perhaps
> I've been out of work for the last 3 months? Or that on other jobs I've
> worked evenings or mornings?

Those two shots didn't follow "surprised" in a logical fashion. Well,
that's nothing new, either.

> How many times have you posted today?

You could look it up. Remembering that I'm retired, meaning I'm not
stealing time from my employer and fellow workers. --D-y

On Apr 10, 8:07 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Which makes me wonder about why, well before the Armstrong Problem,
> Trek would seemingly want to distance itself from Greg Lemond.   --D-y

Because he's an unstable, loose cannon, and you never know where he's
going to stick his mouth in next, or what the hell he's going to say.
WAY too much baggage, and bad press to overshadow all the good stuff
he did a LONG time ago, in the "what have you done for me lately"
sports world. Hell Lance is old news now.
Bill C

On Apr 10, 8:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You could look it up. Remembering that I'm retired, meaning I'm not
> stealing time from my employer and fellow workers.  --D-y

I'm probably still posting more than anyone else lately. I enjoy it,
but it sucks. Kneeling on a recently repaired knee while sheathing a
building is a DUMB idea as I found out a couple of days ago. I'm
sitting here again, Oh Joy!
C'mon D-y. We know you don't DO anything while "retired" just sit in
the house stewing and looking for arguments on rbr. If you actually
had a life you'd be out doing active type things...Just because you're
doing more than most people half your age is no excuse. It's not
enough...Do YOU have 5000 miles yet this year; slacker???? I wish Tom
was out here, we'd work some, then ride, and work some more. gardens
need work. Several computers need rebuilds, house needs to be done,
kid's race bikes have to be gone through, etc....and I'm sitting here
on my ass, again.
Gonna go do an hour now though, and shooting this afternoon.
Bill C

On Apr 10, 8:05 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 8:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > You could look it up. Remembering that I'm retired, meaning I'm not
> > stealing time from my employer and fellow workers.  --D-y

> I'm probably still posting more than anyone else lately. I enjoy it,
> but it sucks. Kneeling on a recently repaired knee while sheathing a
> building is a DUMB idea as I found out a couple of days ago. I'm
> sitting here again, Oh Joy!
>  C'mon D-y. We know you don't DO anything while "retired" just sit in
> the house stewing and looking for arguments on rbr. If you actually
> had a life you'd be out doing active type things...Just because you're
> doing more than most people half your age is no excuse. It's not
> enough...Do YOU have 5000 miles yet this year; slacker???? I wish Tom
> was out here, we'd work some, then ride, and work some more. gardens
> need work. Several computers need rebuilds, house needs to be done,
> kid's race bikes have to be gone through, etc....and I'm sitting here
> on my ass, again.
>  Gonna go do an hour now though, and shooting this afternoon.

On Apr 10, 8:05 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 8:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > You could look it up. Remembering that I'm retired, meaning I'm not
> > stealing time from my employer and fellow workers.  --D-y

> I'm probably still posting more than anyone else lately. I enjoy it,
> but it sucks. Kneeling on a recently repaired knee while sheathing a
> building is a DUMB idea as I found out a couple of days ago. I'm
> sitting here again, Oh Joy!
>  C'mon D-y. We know you don't DO anything while "retired" just sit in
> the house stewing and looking for arguments on rbr. If you actually
> had a life you'd be out doing active type things...Just because you're
> doing more than most people half your age is no excuse. It's not
> enough...Do YOU have 5000 miles yet this year; slacker???? I wish Tom
> was out here, we'd work some, then ride, and work some more. gardens
> need work. Several computers need rebuilds, house needs to be done,
> kid's race bikes have to be gone through, etc....and I'm sitting here
> on my ass, again.
>  Gonna go do an hour now though, and shooting this afternoon.
> Bill C

On Apr 10, 8:05 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

>  C'mon D-y. We know you don't DO anything while "retired" just sit in
> the house stewing and looking for arguments on rbr. If you actually
> had a life you'd be out doing active type things...Just because you're
> doing more than most people half your age is no excuse. It's not
> enough...Do YOU have 5000 miles yet this year; slacker????

That's a good poke. Touche. --D-y

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
>> Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a

> You're making at least two assumptions. First, that sales in Europe
> would have been significant had Trek tried to really push LeMond. And
> second, that Trek moved LeMond sales into Trek. Could be that neither
> is true.

I wrote not exclusively about Europe, but the general contract.

> I've spent time in France each July since 2000, and know the
> distributor & euro manager quite well. France is *not* an easy place
> to sell bikes, at least not bikes from "elsewhere."

With LOOK, Time and Lapierre available, French high-end bikes are nice
enough. Italian and Spanish bikes do pretty well, too, but yes, German
bikes, English bikes and others have a harder time. Still, Asian bikes do
very well, and the custom-built bikes by local artisans are still quite
popular. Later, you will explain why Trek bikes do well and Lemond bikes
don't, right?

> As I'm sure
> you're aware, the typical French bicycle shop isn't well-schooled in
> the finer points of customer service, keeps difficult hours, and has
> a very patronizing attitude towards both customers and suppliers.

Your perception is not entirely inaccurate, but you need to see that _all_
French retailers are similar, not just in cycling.

> Most bikes are sold by retail chains like Decathlon Sports and
> Intersport, where, in a reversal of what we see in the US, customer
> service and product selection is actually much better than at the
> local retailer.

Like Sears, Walmart, etc., in some ways, but customer service has long been
a weak point with DKT, although recent developments (like the new cycling
division, housed and developed physically apart, with great resources)
promise great improvement. You may also consider how many 3500 euro DKT
bikes (B'Twin TDF replicas) are sold compared to the typical city bikes at
100 euros.

> [snipped re : French love for Trek.]

> Trek's had a very difficult time moving any of their bikes there;

French dislike of Trek. Go figure.

> [snipped on poor sales in France, compared to Redwood City]

Merida, based in Germany, can say the same.

> Things could be very different elsewhere in Europe. In fact, I know
> they are. Otherwise Trek & LeMond couldn't afford to be there at all.
> I chose France as an example because that's the only country I know
> first-hand.

With due respect, not well enough.

> My point is [snipped on motivation for license fee and expectations]

> It is very difficult to construct a model in which Trek doesn't think
> increased sales of LeMond would be a good thing.

Try harder ;-)

> Corporate thinking [I can't possibly comment, except as to the pleadings]
>
> In any event, the LeMond line has had great and selfish support from a
> number of Trek employees in Waterloo. People who have fought hard for
> resources and outspent Trek dramatically on a per-bike marketing & R&D
> basis. You don't do that for a line that you don't believe has a
> future.

The equation is simple : 3% of sales as promotion funds. That's what the
contract reads. It's up to the parties to show it to be true or false.

> I [...] believe that even a wildly-successful LeMond line isn't going to
> substantially contribute to Lance's bottom line.

Fine, but that only looks at after his initial ownership of stock. It does
not bear on the success/failure of years 1995-9. Nor on the renegotiated
contract (executed just after the wunderkind took the 1999 TdF, where the
minima were basically tripled in favor of Lemond.

> One thing I am sure
> of though. Lance has nothing to do with bottom-line decisions in
> Waterloo.

I have to take your word, and I do.

> I don't think even then he had any
> sensitivity to cost or budget.

This is not the picture I get of a savvy businessman, but are you saying he
is willing to co-exist at par with Lemond after 1999? Money meant nothing
then?

> But forget Lance

Done, almost.

> [snipped : paean to the Lemond group at Trek]
> That's just how it
> looked to me, from the outside. [...] I just can't believe that Greg could
> have visited
> Waterloo Wisconsin and not been very impressed by their efforts.

There are two legal outcomes, of course, to be proven by evidence. I make
no predictions. Well, maybe one. I think Lemond has an interest in
separating from Trek (maaybe it's mutual?), getting some cash along the way,
and resurrecting his bike line. If you think of Scott bikes, they succeeded
only when that company decided to abandon the US for Europe. Who knows?
Maybe this could happen twice. But he better improve his accessory line,
don't you think? Really ugly clothes.
Sandy

--
Si les autres parties du monde ont des singes ; l'Europe a des Français.
Cela se compense.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I remember for a fact that Tom has used other names than cyclintom because
> I have had to sort other addresses of his into my killfile when he retires
> the older one.

Then you shouldn't have any problem naming them.

> Lemond bikes had not only Greg's racing success as a positive, but
> Greg's "take" on geometry (long top tube, slack angles)

Of course if you'd have bothered to actually measure a "modern" LeMond you'd
discover NONE of that on his bikes.

And by the way, LeMond's idea were mostly founded on the fact that he has
longer femurs at his 5'7" than I at 6'4". If he tried to sell his idea of
"geometry" to others there would be problems. And SURPRISE! there were.

On Apr 10, 9:14 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Lemond bikes had not only Greg's racing success as a positive, but
> > Greg's "take" on geometry (long top tube, slack angles)

> Of course if you'd have bothered to actually measure a "modern" LeMond you'd
> discover NONE of that on his bikes.

(well, we're back to it)

This was a historical reference to things as they were.

Read: Lemond's bikes *had*. Thank you.

I'll have to go read again but I don't recall any "femur" stuff in the
Lemond book.

More a reaction against the "74 parallels" (and steeper) that were in
fashion BACK THEN in some quarters. The pendulum has swung back but
Lemond was something of a standout.

You can go measure all the modern Lemonds you want, TK. Feel free. --
D-y

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
>> Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
>> déclaré :

> Most bikes are sold by retail chains like Decathlon Sports and
> Intersport,

Update from today's mail ...

http://online.carrefour.fr/sports-et-loisirs/cycles-et-accessoires/velos/

Raleigh. Hmmm.....

He's not 5'7", he's over 50 feet tall. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cy/profiles/1936.html

On Apr 10, 8:44 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 9:14 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Lemond bikes had not only Greg's racing success as a positive, but
> > > Greg's "take" on geometry (long top tube, slack angles)

> > Of course if you'd have bothered to actually measure a "modern" LeMond you'd
> > discover NONE of that on his bikes.

> (well, we're back to it)
>
> This was a historical reference to things as they were.
>
> Read: Lemond's bikes *had*. Thank you.
>
> I'll have to go read again but I don't recall any "femur" stuff in the
> Lemond book.

It is there.