Long Distance Cycling

Originally Posted by alienator .

I'd consider a helmet a necessity.
I agree completely! I ruminated about not posting that myself. Maybe more than anything else wear bain protection.

These were the guys I grew up self modeling after -

Not the greatest role models but that was the sport back then. I can't tell you the number of times some young whippersnapper has told me while rolling around my local park that I should be wearing a lid... and they are absolutely CORRECT.

I would ride without a helmet without a second thought, but I have one, and I keep it handy, so I wear it. On a motorcycle, I have ridden many miles without one, but out of respect for my wife, I will wear one if it's available (and I would make an effort to keep one available).

I used ride helmetless : for some reason on this particular day I decided to wear a helmet. During the spin my back wheel locked and your's truly hit concrete road head first.
My helmet broke but I lived to fight another day thank God.

I agree about wearing a helmet too. I never rode without a helmet in 40 plus years of riding, and once after crashing head first through a side window of a car smashing the window completely out I survived but the helmet did not. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet my head would not had survived. I use to hear people remark that a helmet adds weight, to which I would reply... then you're too weak to be on bike!

@rhtynotes

I'm 35 yr old comuting 50 miles round trip to work M-F. I tell you this b/c I can understand your concerns and fears. I suggest to pick a point, say 5 miles out, and start that 1st. Add distance as you go, and even take a buddy to ride with. I say a buddy b/c it's always easier to overcome the unknown with a partner. Most important is to hydrate and keep eating. The longer you ride the more you'll deplete your energy levels. Get a cheap cycling jersey with pockets in the back (I picked one up from the shope for $10 on sale). You can keep energy bars or PB&J in there that'll help keep you going.

Best of Luck, at 17, I doubt you'll have much trouble working your way up to overcome 20 miles easily and quickly. Plan your route before you go, and have fun.

Originally Posted by davereo .

If you have an Iphone or any smart phone you can download free cycling computer Apps that are fairly accurate.
Fixing a flat is the number one road side repair by far. You will need the following.
Tire Levers
Spare tube
Patch kit
Tire inflator of your choice.
for the smart phone cycling computer, I use mapmyride it's pretty good and will give you verbal stats as you ride. I don't wear earbuds and hold my droid in an armband and hear the updates just fine, even with wind and traffic.

You NEED tire levers, tube, and pump for sure if you're going to do long distance ridding, else make sure mom or girl friend is willing to pick your butt up.

I recommend you practice learning to change the tube before you go on the ride though, else your ride could be extreamly frustrating if you get a puncture and have to learn on the road.

use Imapmyride if you have an Iphone/smartphone and googlemaps for normal rides. Dont buy a bike GPS unless you can warrant spending the money or you need it for a much longer time period

Originally Posted by danrche .

for the smart phone cycling computer, I use mapmyride it's pretty good and will give you verbal stats as you ride. I don't wear earbuds and hold my droid in an armband and hear the updates just fine, even with wind and traffic.

You NEED tire levers, tube, and pump for sure if you're going to do long distance ridding, else make sure mom or girl friend is willing to pick your butt up.

I recommend you practice learning to change the tube before you go on the ride though, else your ride could be extreamly frustrating if you get a puncture and have to learn on the road.
I never thought of getting an armband. Good Idea.

If you happen to have a smartphone there are quite a few free GPS tracking apps out there which will track average speed and distance traveled.

No one has mentioned food or water yet - so I will.

I find that on shorter rides, 2 hours or less I do not need anything but water. Food / Nutrition / Glycogen sources become necessary to sustain output for longer efforts. The matter seems to be highly personal and you have to experiment with what, how much and when to refuel - but it is critical. Bonking takes all the wind out of your sails and can make completing that long ride excruciating if not impossible.

When I first started out, I found that just picking a place that you want to go to as an end goal initially helps make the ride go quicker. Setting a pace that doesnt require you to maintain the highest gear, nor one that is too slow to be worth your time is crucial. I've just started easing into the 45+ mile ride groups and just getting out will help you ride the distance. Since I ride more, like many of the posts prior, i always carry an extra tube and a compact pump, tire lever, wallet, cell phone, etc in case of emergencies. A bike computer, nothing fancy, really helps me keep focused. Like Dave said, if you know the discance you want to go, and dont have a particular loop to ride, ride halfway in distance, then back adds up. As always, ride safe out there and enjoy it! =)

I am also 17. And new to biking. This is my first week in and and I am tackling 20 mile rider like it's nothing. Just do it! #Nike

Originally Posted by RyanScribner .

I am also 17. And new to biking. This is my first week in and and I am tackling 20 mile rider like it's nothing. Just do it! #Nike

Thats the plan I followed! Now when i see a high mileage day that I am not quite used to, I just say **** it why not and dig deep.

What is long distance bicycling? My typical rides are 16 to 25 miles... 4 or 5 times a week. After a 25 mile ride on a hot summer day I may follow that up with mowing the yard, or cooking dinner for my wife and me. From time to time... in nice weather... I like to spend a little more time with the bicycle and take a 33- 65 ride. On the longer rides I stop and have lunch... or an ice cream... or both. I am not a fast rider and only average about 15 mph. But I am old... and smoked for about 35 years... so I have limits.

A 50 mile (half century) or my longest rides (metric century)... for me are long distance. A true [American] century is a goal but not something I've done as-of-yet. I belong to a cycling club and hope to do a century this fall.

My longest rides are about 130'ish. Putting distance on gets easier the more you ride - I can do a century+ and then spend the whole afternoon doing yardwork or carrying a 2 year old around a state park.

By chance on the last century I rode, I met a guy starting on a trek of 250 miles. We rode together for about 80 miles. He wasn't unusually fit, nor did he ride as much as I did; but he had a plan and rode at a steady sustainable pace. I met him in the dark of the early mornining, he said he would finish after the dark of night. I assume he made it.

Some day I will do a double, maybe.

just make sure u enjoy every minute out on your bike. all u really need is, a phone, and a helmet. good luck, and just go for it.

I plan on riding a 77-100 miler this August and i am by no means a really fit guy, but i do have the determination and goal to train and get that under my belt.

Long Distance Gear

Hello everyone!

I'm Yuva from Singapore. I run a company called RedWhite Cyclewear. We design clothing for long distance cycling.

There has been quite a fair bit of talk recently on the benefits of compression and we are seeing many brands out there take to highly compressive bibs. I would like to ask if compression for long distance riding is important for you.

Thank you so much for your feedback everyone!