Lubing Phil hub bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Res09c5t

Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed
a loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub has about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a
little premature to have a bearing going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind
of comes and goes- one day it is terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The
intermittent nature makes me wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these
sealed bearings?

Thanks! Lyle

Why bother with the expense of Phil hubs (my rear ~$750) and then treat them like $himanos? I think
that you could get generic replacement bearings for about US$3 each and Phil's cost $15. My hubs are
>20K nearly trouble free miles old.

"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed a
> loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub
has
> about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a little premature to have a
bearing
> going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of comes and goes- one day it is
> terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The intermittent nature makes me
> wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these sealed bearings?
>
> Thanks! Lyle

> Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable
bearings)
> that has developed a loud click at one point in its rotation. This
hub has
bearing
> going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of comes
and
> goes- one day it is terrible, then it may go away for a few days and
come
> back. The intermittent nature makes me wonder if lubing would help.
Is
> there any way to relube these sealed bearings?

I have not worked on the newer models (my sets are about 25 years old), but with the older models,
you just lift the edge of the rubber seal with a razor blade and pop it off. You can then put lube
on the bearings. It sounds like you may have a bad bearing. Just get the bearing cartridge number
and go to your local bearing store and get a replacement, or check the Phil web-site and see if you
can get one free under warranty. -- Jay Beattie.

news:<[email protected]>...

> I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed a
> loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub has about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a
> little premature to have a bearing going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of
> comes and goes- one day it is terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The
> intermittent nature makes me wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these sealed
> bearings?

I don't know what kind of bearings Phil uses these days but on my Bullsey hubs the seal looks to
be rubber and metal. I found I can carefully pry the seal off with the tip of a knife without
damaging it. After removing the seals I just soak and grease the bearings. I have been regreasing
my hub bearings annually and am on the same set of bearings that originally came in my hubs in the
mid '80's.

I'm not sure what to think of the click, I never had that in my cartridge bearing hubs. The most
common malady I see in cartridge bearing hubs is excessive play in the bearings.

best, Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

> Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed a
> loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub
has
bearing
> going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of comes and goes- one day it is
> terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The intermittent nature makes me
> wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these sealed bearings?

With a jeweller's screwdriver (1.5x0.4mm) or something like it, lift away the shield carefuly from
the inside edge first. Now you can flush out the crud (we use alcohol, toothbrush and compressed
air) and refill it with clean grease. Do actually fill the bearing area. The shield can be pressed
back into place with a fingernail. Note that if you're doing this in a hub, you should plan on
cleaning both bearings as the solvent will run through to the other side.

If the bearing feels lousy when it is clean and dry just get a new one.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.