Lubing Phil hub bearings?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Res09c5t, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Res09c5t

    Res09c5t Guest

    Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed
    a loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub has about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a
    little premature to have a bearing going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind
    of comes and goes- one day it is terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The
    intermittent nature makes me wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these
    sealed bearings?

    Thanks! Lyle

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Why bother with the expense of Phil hubs (my rear ~$750) and then treat them like $himanos? I think
    that you could get generic replacement bearings for about US$3 each and Phil's cost $15. My hubs are
    >20K nearly trouble free miles old.

    "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed a
    > loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub
    has
    > about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a little premature to have a
    bearing
    > going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of comes and goes- one day it is
    > terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The intermittent nature makes me
    > wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these sealed bearings?
    >
    > Thanks! Lyle

  3. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable
    bearings)
    > that has developed a loud click at one point in its rotation. This
    hub has
    > about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a little premature to have a
    bearing
    > going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of comes
    and
    > goes- one day it is terrible, then it may go away for a few days and
    come
    > back. The intermittent nature makes me wonder if lubing would help.
    Is
    > there any way to relube these sealed bearings?

    I have not worked on the newer models (my sets are about 25 years old), but with the older models,
    you just lift the edge of the rubber seal with a razor blade and pop it off. You can then put lube
    on the bearings. It sounds like you may have a bad bearing. Just get the bearing cartridge number
    and go to your local bearing store and get a replacement, or check the Phil web-site and see if you
    can get one free under warranty. -- Jay Beattie.

  4. "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed a
    > loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub has about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a
    > little premature to have a bearing going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of
    > comes and goes- one day it is terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The
    > intermittent nature makes me wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these sealed
    > bearings?

    I don't know what kind of bearings Phil uses these days but on my Bullsey hubs the seal looks to
    be rubber and metal. I found I can carefully pry the seal off with the tip of a knife without
    damaging it. After removing the seals I just soak and grease the bearings. I have been regreasing
    my hub bearings annually and am on the same set of bearings that originally came in my hubs in the
    mid '80's.

    I'm not sure what to think of the click, I never had that in my cartridge bearing hubs. The most
    common malady I see in cartridge bearing hubs is excessive play in the bearings.

    best, Bruce
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've got a Phil hub (newer FSA style with the easily removeable bearings) that has developed a
    > loud click at one point in its rotation. This hub
    has
    > about 8-10,000 miles on it so it seems a little premature to have a
    bearing
    > going out but I am fairly heavy (about 280). The noise kind of comes and goes- one day it is
    > terrible, then it may go away for a few days and come back. The intermittent nature makes me
    > wonder if lubing would help. Is there any way to relube these sealed bearings?

    With a jeweller's screwdriver (1.5x0.4mm) or something like it, lift away the shield carefuly from
    the inside edge first. Now you can flush out the crud (we use alcohol, toothbrush and compressed
    air) and refill it with clean grease. Do actually fill the bearing area. The shield can be pressed
    back into place with a fingernail. Note that if you're doing this in a hub, you should plan on
    cleaning both bearings as the solvent will run through to the other side.

    If the bearing feels lousy when it is clean and dry just get a new one.