Lubing threadless headset

Robert Gardner

Jan 9, 2004
I am having trouble understanding the Park Tool's description of the threadless headset. I only want to lube (grease) the bearings in the threadless headset. What tools do I need to do the job right? Are there any pitfalls to avoid?

Robert Gardner said:
I am having trouble understanding the Park Tool's description of the threadless headset. I only want to lube (grease) the bearings in the threadless headset. What tools do I need to do the job right? Are there any pitfalls to avoid?
All you need is an allen wrench. Take the screw out of the top cap, then loosen the stem and take it off of the steerer tube. Everyting should come right apart. If the shim that sits between the upper bearing cone and the steerer tube is stuck, you might need to give the steerer a few gentle whacks (aligned with the tube, not from the side!) with a rubber mallet. The only trouble you can get into is getting the bearing preload wrong when you put it back together. The manufacturer of your particular headset should have a torque spec for it. Or you can just tighten it until the fork is snug, but still turns freely.