Make-up & cycling

Capt. Jack said:
A-ha, we have a purist here. Cycling is about the movement of the legs on a machine and nothing else? I disagree.

I disagree with your opinion that a discussion of make-up does not belong on this forum. Are we not all cyclists? Are we not all women? Aren't we a little bit different from men? Why are we not supposed to talk about it?

I would say to the original poster, wear what you feel comfortable with, and wear what agrees with your skin the most when doing physical activity. I like the fact that you posted the make-up question.

Personally, I don't like to go out in public where I'll be seen by lots of people without at least a little bit of lipstick on and perhaps a dash of eyeshadow. So why would I go out riding without the same thing on? I'm not trying to catch a date when I ride. I ride to ride. And I ride to represent my sport--to hopefully get other women interested in my sport.

Riding is my main hobby. It is what I love. When I take riding breaks, I chat with people. I'll talk with anybody who wants to talk about biking, especially downhill mountain biking. I am an ambassador of my sport. I wouldn't feel as comfortable if I went out biking if I didn't go out dressed as me... if I was pale, if I didn't cover up some of my blemishes a tiny bit, and so forth. If riding is "my thing" why wouldn't I want to go out riding looking like my usual self? Does that make me shallow? Am I shallow for wanting to look my best when I am doing the very thing I enjoy the most?
I don't see how anyone can really feel they have the right to oppose you guys. We all really do have to do what makes us feel comfortable but safety should never be left out of the equation. We all need our helmets, sunglasses and if you are wise - gloves. After that is done though wear what you are comfy in. I can't disagree with those who would choose to wear makeup. My kids tell me I look scary when I'm riding. Possibly because I ride so fast I scare the heck out of the neighbors, possibly because I look very serious. Of course, once I have all my gear on there isn't much face left to see. I used to enjoy the anonymity of it but people now know who I am.
Ride on ladies!;)

Capt. Jack said:
A-ha, we have a purist here. Cycling is about the movement of the legs on a machine and nothing else? I disagree.

I disagree with your opinion that a discussion of make-up does not belong on this forum. Are we not all cyclists? Are we not all women? Aren't we a little bit different from men? Why are we not supposed to talk about it?

I would say to the original poster, wear what you feel comfortable with, and wear what agrees with your skin the most when doing physical activity. I like the fact that you posted the make-up question.

Personally, I don't like to go out in public where I'll be seen by lots of people without at least a little bit of lipstick on and perhaps a dash of eyeshadow. So why would I go out riding without the same thing on? I'm not trying to catch a date when I ride. I ride to ride. And I ride to represent my sport--to hopefully get other women interested in my sport.

Riding is my main hobby. It is what I love. When I take riding breaks, I chat with people. I'll talk with anybody who wants to talk about biking, especially downhill mountain biking. I am an ambassador of my sport. I wouldn't feel as comfortable if I went out biking if I didn't go out dressed as me... if I was pale, if I didn't cover up some of my blemishes a tiny bit, and so forth. If riding is "my thing" why wouldn't I want to go out riding looking like my usual self? Does that make me shallow? Am I shallow for wanting to look my best when I am doing the very thing I enjoy the most?
I agree to some extent to what you have said... just because this is a cycling forum does not mean that it needs to be filled with 100% technical questions. There are a lot of beginner cyclists out there and questions like this are quite serious to them and they have every right to feel comfortable enough to ask them.

My personal opinion is that make-up is a no-no when any kind of sport is involved. As previous people have said it doesn't allow the skin to breath during exercise which is extremely vital. But at the end of the day you need to do what makes you feel comfortable and if wearing make-up means that its going to keep you riding then go for it.

wackydeirdre said:
Where can you find sunblock for the face stronger than 15 that won't make you break out? My skin is very sensitive and breaks out even from stress. I use sunblock#30 lip balm. Is tinted lip gloss better? I wear wrap around sunglasses with a light blue tint. They are nice to look out of even on overcast days. Approved by the american cancer association for blocking harmful rays. I used to wear very dark ones and got the blue ones for overcast days so I could see but started wearing the blue ones all of the time.

I have really sensitive skin too and have found that Neutrogena Heathy Defense Daily Moisturizer works well on my skin. It is SPF 30 and comes in both tinted and untinted forms. It's usually in the face lotion sections of drug stores.

Trisha14 said:
My personal opinion is that make-up is a no-no when any kind of sport is involved. As previous people have said it doesn't allow the skin to breath during exercise which is extremely vital. But at the end of the day you need to do what makes you feel comfortable and if wearing make-up means that its going to keep you riding then go for it.

I agree with Trisha. If you're out an easy fun ride around the block, I see no problem with make up. I never wear makeup, so it's not an issue for me. However, I do laugh when I see some women out for a ride on a hot day that are straddling their bikes checking their makeup in the mirror, and their helmets are pushed so far back on their heads so they don't mess up their hair.....and then you see them at the end of the ride, looking like Tammy faye Baker after an hour of crying. Now THAT'S attractive! :eek:

I realize this post is a bit old, but I have some comments. The only makeup I wear when riding is lip gloss (to seal and protect my lips) and foundation for reasons other than immmediate appearance. Lancome makes an excellent foundation called "color id" which has a sunblock in it, and I also find that if I wear the foundation it protects against wind burn, which can be quite a problem on long, fast rides. I also think it keeps dirt from getting into the pores. Wearing foundation really makes a BIG difference in protecting the skin on my face when riding :eek:

sunjerseys said:
I realize this post is a bit old, but I have some comments. The only makeup I wear when riding is lip gloss (to seal and protect my lips) and foundation for reasons other than immmediate appearance. Lancome makes an excellent foundation called "color id" which has a sunblock in it, and I also find that if I wear the foundation it protects against wind burn, which can be quite a problem on long, fast rides. I also think it keeps dirt from getting into the pores. Wearing foundation really makes a BIG difference in protecting the skin on my face when riding :eek:
Thank you for that. I always just wore a sunscreen because I dislike the caked up appearance a foundation gives. if its better than simple sunscreen then I will try it. Do you wear anything other than glasses on your eyes? I can't seem to find a moisturizer with sunscreen and as you say the main problem is wind

Oh my goodness, it has been months since I checked this forum and I must admit I find it rather entertaining that this topic is still at the top of the list.

Just because I have an opinion about something Capt Jack doesn't make me a purist. Might I remind you that the name of this website is cycling forums, so you would think that most topics would be relevant to cycling.

I still believe make-up is not relevant to cycling (excluding skin protection creams and gels), and it is really not relevant to any sport for that matter regardless of whether you do it for fun, fitness, or competitively.

If people want to wear make-up when they ride then that is fine, go ahead, but it serves no functional purpose at all and if anything it looks a bit out of place.

I understand that everyone wants to look as glamorous as they do off the bike on the bike, but it is not physically possible.

Mellic said:
Oh my goodness, it has been months since I checked this forum and I must admit I find it rather entertaining that this topic is still at the top of the list.

Just because I have an opinion about something Capt Jack doesn't make me a purist. Might I remind you that the name of this website is cycling forums, so you would think that most topics would be relevant to cycling.

I still believe make-up is not relevant to cycling (excluding skin protection creams and gels), and it is really not relevant to any sport for that matter regardless of whether you do it for fun, fitness, or competitively.

If people want to wear make-up when they ride then that is fine, go ahead, but it serves no functional purpose at all and if anything it looks a bit out of place.

I understand that everyone wants to look as glamorous as they do off the bike on the bike, but it is not physically possible.
Nice to see you back again Mellic. I popped on myself for the first time in a couple of months last week to see that this was still a topic myself with the initial feeling of GEEZ, hasn't this topic been done to death? Until I read further to find the person who posted this originally not only apologized for bringing this up again but was indeed giving information regarding skin protection saying this particular foundation not only was a better sunscreen but acted as a nice wind barrier. I really am not a makeup person myself but am willing to possibly give it a shot if it seems to work better. I rather dislike the look and feeling of makeup. How was your winter? If I remember properly you are from the south and never had to worry about an indoor trainer.

Hi gals (Mellic and Diedre!)
I'm still not wearing makeup, but I have started racing. I've been hanging out and posting my exploits much more over at Team Estrogens women's forum ( http://forums.teamestrogen.com/ ) I think I've seen Mellic over there too. Hope you are doing well!
Eden

wackydeirdre said:
Thank you for that. I always just wore a sunscreen because I dislike the caked up appearance a foundation gives. if its better than simple sunscreen then I will try it. Do you wear anything other than glasses on your eyes? I can't seem to find a moisturizer with sunscreen and as you say the main problem is wind
I mentioned my specific brand/kind of makeup because you cannot tell that it's on (but it's not cheap -- I get mine on ebay). I also slather on Banana Boat "Faces" SPF 30 over my nose & cheekbones, up to right underneath my glasses. It's in a yellow tube like a big chapstick & you can get it at Walmart. With both of those on, my face suffers no redness from wind & sun. Yes, it seems like we are being vain, but I know so many women, my mother included, who are having to get pre-cancer spots carved out or treated (ie: burned off) with prescription creams. It is not pleasant; better to prevent them as much as we can.

Hi Eden and Deirdre,

Glad to hear you started racing Eden! Yes it is true I have turned to the dark side and sharing most of my cycling news and views at the team estrogen forum. I just got a little bored here and plus there seems to be so many more girls there.

And Deirdre - winter.....what winter??? Hope I don't make you too jealous, but it has been hot here for the last 3 or so months. Our season is a bit different, summer is Dec-Feb, autumn is March-May, winter is June-Aug, and spring is Sept-Nov. Our race season is over the cooler months and our off season is over the warmer months.

My preseason training is going well. I have my first race of the season in a months time and am looking forward to that. I have a new toy coming next week, so I am looking forward to taking that out for a spin.

Anyway hope you are both well. Best of luck with your racing Eden!

Mellic said:
Hi Eden and Deirdre,

Glad to hear you started racing Eden! Yes it is true I have turned to the dark side and sharing most of my cycling news and views at the team estrogen forum. I just got a little bored here and plus there seems to be so many more girls there.

And Deirdre - winter.....what winter??? Hope I don't make you too jealous, but it has been hot here for the last 3 or so months. Our season is a bit different, summer is Dec-Feb, autumn is March-May, winter is June-Aug, and spring is Sept-Nov. Our race season is over the cooler months and our off season is over the warmer months.

My preseason training is going well. I have my first race of the season in a months time and am looking forward to that. I have a new toy coming next week, so I am looking forward to taking that out for a spin.

Anyway hope you are both well. Best of luck with your racing Eden!
Thank you Mellic! It's nice to see you here again! So, you've turned to the dark side,hmmm? Well, I'm sure Eden and I will forgive you for it. I didn't have as productive a winter (training wise) as I had hoped for. I had 2 back to back non cycling related injuries in the fall. I didn't really recover completely. I fell literally on my face in the kitchen and regained consciousness surrounded by EMS, Police, and a pool of blood. My kids called 911. They are increadible kids! Still am having my teeth fixed from that one and I guess never really got as strong as I was in the summer. So, this summer I will simply do charity rides and ride in general to regain my strength.
I do spend time on the trainer but am nowhere near as strong as earlier. A month outdoors should cure that. Nothing like having a road bike on the road where it belongs! New tires and a tune up and I ought to be good.
Sorry about the confusion over the winter-summer in your parts, I'd forgotten exactly where it was you are from.
I have to tell you I really laughed when I read you left the womens forum because there were too many girls here then realized you probably meant "OMG, I broke a nail!" girls.
Well, it's good to have you aboard again! Winter has been pretty busy for me otherwise and I haven't been on here much myself except for now and again. Eden has been holding the fort all on her own and doing a good job of it. This forum needs us 3 Stoodges back again. Even though I don't have near as much to offer as yourself and Eden. I do try when I know an answer and redirect if not. Take care & talk again soon!

Mellic said:
I don't think sunscreen really can be classified as make-up unless it is the variety that has foundation in it. I do wear sunscreen when I ride, but I put it on at least 45 minutes before so it has some time to absorb. I don't use the very thick creams (even though they are more protective) as they just don't absorb quick enough and they tend to act like a barrier keeping body heat in.
I always wear sunscreen but I also sweat profusely. Sometimes the sweat gets mixed in with the sunscreen & gets in my eyes. OUCH! it burns. Has anyone found a really good, sweat-proof sunscreen?

I read this topic some time ago and laughed at the idea of women wearing make-up while riding. Then I looked more closely at the ladies in our bike riding group....alot of them wear make-up. I couldn't believe it.

I do wonder about the sweat, but all in all...if the boys can shave their legs....:p

;)
Mellic said:
LOL, can the women's forum get any more pathetic questions. Honestly I am tired of all these stupid questions about what deodorant to use, what leg shaving product to use etc. And now a question about make-up! Hello.....how many athletes do you see training/competing in make-up? You need to let your skin breath and by caking yourself with all of that gunk is preventing it from happening.

I really have to wonder why some of you girls bother cycling in the first place. It seems as though you are more concerned about what you look like on the bike rather than other important aspects of the sport :mad: .
i find it quite a scream that you moan about more pathetic woman questions, then why do you continually expose yourself to the womans chat...........you obviously meant to be on the page where dimensions, sub 3's etc are discussed. spare yourself the emotional stress.
I take it you quite a serious rider, and by the way there is nothing better than riding with a good group who are serious but still great fun to be with. ....;)

Hey Chickenlegs...What's a buff? I wouldn't mind something to keep my head from sweating under my helmet, but I never heard of a buff.

I often wear powder and a bit of eyeshadow during some activities I might do, but no way can I wear any makeup while walking or biking- too sweaty! I NEED to wear sunblock- I'm very fair and this summer is brutal.
I had to switch to a NON_CHEMICAL natural sunblock without PABA, moisterizers, etc, because the other stuff made me break out in HIVES a few weeks ago! The non-chemical one has ONLY titanium Dioxide as it's active ingredient. It passed the test of fire for me this weekend.
No trouble with the new stuff.

Other than my sunblock I only wear lip balm with sunscreen. Save the makeup til after you get back and splash cold water on your face or a shower.
If people can notice whether you are wearing makeup or not on your bike ride, may I suggest that you are not riding fast enough! It ain't the Easter Parade... ;) :cool:

Lisa S.H. said:
Hey Chickenlegs...What's a buff? I wouldn't mind something to keep my head from sweating under my helmet, but I never heard of a buff.

I often wear powder and a bit of eyeshadow during some activities I might do, but no way can I wear any makeup while walking or biking- too sweaty! I NEED to wear sunblock- I'm very fair and this summer is brutal.
I had to switch to a NON_CHEMICAL natural sunblock without PABA, moisterizers, etc, because the other stuff made me break out in HIVES a few weeks ago! The non-chemical one has ONLY titanium Dioxide as it's active ingredient. It passed the test of fire for me this weekend.
No trouble with the new stuff.

Other than my sunblock I only wear lip balm with sunscreen. Save the makeup til after you get back and splash cold water on your face or a shower.
If people can notice whether you are wearing makeup or not on your bike ride, may I suggest that you are not riding fast enough! It ain't the Easter Parade... ;) :cool:
What's the name of your sunblock? I break out like mad from the stuff also, It clogs the pores so I have to use an Elizabeth Arden one but I can only get that up to spf 15. I like Blistex silk & shine for the lips. But that only is spf 15 as well so I use a sport one when I'm riding or swimming. I agree, the sun is murder this year. It seems to get worse each year.

wackydeirdre said:
What's the name of your sunblock? I break out like mad from the stuff also, It clogs the pores so I have to use an Elizabeth Arden one but I can only get that up to spf 15. I like Blistex silk & shine for the lips. But that only is spf 15 as well so I use a sport one when I'm riding or swimming. I agree, the sun is murder this year. It seems to get worse each year.
It's Neutrogena brand. SPF 30. Look for the bottle that says:
Sensitive Skin/ Chemical Free/ all natural/ frangrance free/ hypo allergenic. (you get the idea!...)
Worked great for me in this past weekend HOURS in the blasting sun.
Check to make sure that the ONLY active ingredient is Titanium Dioxide.
Hope it works for you as well as it does for me!

Lisa S.H. said:
It's Neutrogena brand. SPF 30. Look for the bottle that says:
Sensitive Skin/ Chemical Free/ all natural/ frangrance free/ hypo allergenic. (you get the idea!...)
Worked great for me in this past weekend HOURS in the blasting sun.
Check to make sure that the ONLY active ingredient is Titanium Dioxide.
Hope it works for you as well as it does for me!
Will do! Thanks Lisa! Neutrogena agrees with me generally. I'll go grab some today. I need itAloe vera's good but the damage already is done by then.