Mavic Helium wheels: noise

gazelle_nl

Guest
My rear wheel, mavic helium, produces a loud noise if you Ilateral tension
on it. That
is if you ride it.
The bearings seem smooth and adjusted properly, I think. I played with the
adjustment, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

The noise seems to come from the spoke-nipple-rim section.
Some of the eyelets have gotten loose and I cut those out.

Has anybody successfully dealt with this issue?

Gerard
[email protected]

gerard-<< My rear wheel, mavic helium, produces a loud noise if you Ilateral
tension
on it. That
is if you ride it. >><BR><BR>
<< The noise seems to come from the spoke-nipple-rim section.
Some of the eyelets have gotten loose and I cut those out. >><BR><BR>

Rebuild on a 28h OpenPro. The eyelets are causing the probelm

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>gerard-<< My rear wheel, mavic helium, produces a loud noise if you

Ilateral
>tension
>on it. That
>is if you ride it. >><BR><BR>
><< The noise seems to come from the spoke-nipple-rim section.
>Some of the eyelets have gotten loose and I cut those out. >><BR><BR>
>
>Rebuild on a 28h OpenPro. The eyelets are causing the probelm

Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets?

Trevor

Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>

He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part sliding
up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making noise.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 03 Sep 2004 12:44:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>
>
>He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part sliding
>up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
>tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making noise.
>

>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

Good God!

Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
crack?

Appalled,

Carl Fogel

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>
>
>He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part

sliding
>up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
>tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making

noise.

If the eyelets are causing the noise, and it is irritable, why not remove
them?

Trevor

carl-<< Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
crack? >><BR><BR>

Don't know what causes it but see a fair ampunt in mavic, very frequent in FIR
rims.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

trevor-<< If the eyelets are causing the noise, and it is irritable, why not
remove
them? >><BR><BR>

or the spokes, just remove them.........

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 04 Sep 2004 13:41:18 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>carl-<< Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
>for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
>crack? >><BR><BR>
>
>Don't know what causes it but see a fair ampunt in mavic, very frequent in FIR
>rims.
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

Come to think of it, which way do these eyelets crack in
half?

That is, if an eyelet is a somewhat deformed soup can with
both ends removed, does it split into a pair of troughs or
into a pair of hoops?

Carl Fogel

carl-<< That is, if an eyelet is a somewhat deformed soup can with
both ends removed, does it split into a pair of troughs or
into a pair of hoops? >><BR><BR>

'Pair of hoops', with one rattling up the spoke.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>trevor-<< If the eyelets are causing the noise, and it is irritable, why

not
>remove
>them? >><BR><BR>
>
>or the spokes, just remove them.........

hardly an answer.

Trevor

Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>
>
>He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part sliding
>up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
>tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making noise.
>

>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dear Peter,

Good God!

Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
crack?

Appalled,

Carl Fogel

Lately I have become very suspicious about the quality of Mavic Wheels. About the complete wheelsets I only hear bad stories from (trustworthy!) bike stores. The wheels break down and service is slow. Campa seems to fare better, but I have become convinced that only custom handbuilt wheels are worth purchasing. Cheaper, stronger and easier servicable.

Tuschinski<< but I have become convinced that only
custom handbuilt wheels are worth purchasing. Cheaper, stronger and
easier servicable. >><BR><BR>

Wish there were more decent wheelbulders out there.

Reality is that the wheels outta boxes are not what custom wheels are. nether
are suits off a rack compared to what 'Evan' can do.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."
"Reality, what a concept."
"No such thing as a free lunch."

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria