OT: a smug moment

Helen C Simmons

Guest
Allow me to share my smug moment with you. Got weighed this evening. In the
last 8 weeks I've lost 36.5 lbs.. Onwards & downwards and to keeping it off
:)

Cheers, helen s

In article <[email protected]>, Helen C Simmons
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Allow me to share my smug moment with you. Got weighed this evening. In the
> last 8 weeks I've lost 36.5 lbs.. Onwards & downwards and to keeping it off
> :)
>
> Cheers, helen s

Yowser! Well done that woman!

--
Sara

"Sara Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:100220052028265560%[email protected]...

> Yowser! Well done that woman!
>
> --
> Sara

Thank you :) I still have a lot to lose and then I have to keep it off -
long term. I am noticing the difference in my cycling too - for the better.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sara Kirk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:100220052028265560%[email protected]...
>
> > Yowser! Well done that woman!
> >
> > --
> > Sara

> Thank you :) I still have a lot to lose and then I have to keep it off -
> long term. I am noticing the difference in my cycling too - for the better.

Oh yes I know that feeling - whenever I gain more than a tiny amount of
extra poundage I suffer on wheels.

--
Sara

Helen C Simmons composed the following;:
> Allow me to share my smug moment with you. Got weighed this evening.
> In the last 8 weeks I've lost 36.5 lbs.. Onwards & downwards and to
> keeping it off :)

Nice one.

Myself and missus *** are also 'slimming' and increasing exercise. I'm
losing at a rate of around 1/2 lb a week, but she's losing at a bit over
1 lb a week. We figure to lose a little, but consistently, is better
than trying to lose a shed-load all in one go.

It just takes longer ... ;)

But hopefully it'll be harder to put back on.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nice one.

I thank you (curtseys..)

> Myself and missus *** are also 'slimming' and increasing exercise. I'm
> losing at a rate of around 1/2 lb a week, but she's losing at a bit over 1
> lb a week. We figure to lose a little, but consistently, is better than
> trying to lose a shed-load all in one go.

That's actually a healthy weekly loss. A concern I have about my current
rate of loss is that I feel as if I'm hardly trying and the flab is dropping
off. Whilst it's *lovely* to be dropping clothes sizes remarkably quickly,
I'm half-expecting it to grind to a halt any day now and I'll plateau for a
while which is a PITA to keep motivated through. Of course, the teenage
offspring taking his mother to a rock gig is added incentive - I really do
not wish to embarass him by totally resembling a slug. I may even make a
reasonable size pair of black denims by June. One can but hope!

> It just takes longer ... ;)
>
> But hopefully it'll be harder to put back on.

I could put my weight loss back on and more in a darn sight quicker than 8
weeks - and that's what I've got to watch out for :-/

Cheers, helen s

> --
> Paul ...
> http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
> (8(!) Homer Rules ... ;)
> "A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:28:26 +0000, Sara Kirk
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Allow me to share my smug moment with you. Got weighed this evening. In the
>> last 8 weeks I've lost 36.5 lbs.. Onwards & downwards and to keeping it off
>> :)

>Yowser! Well done that woman!

***********, 2 and 1/2 stone in a couple of months? What did you do,
chop off a leg?

Seriously, well done Helen, a fine effort. Spring is around the corner
and you'll have ever more opportunities to get out on the bike and
into the sunshine to enjoy your new found fitness and feeling of smug
wellbeing. :)

--

Call me "Bob"

"Let every man make known what kind of government would command his
respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it"

Henry David Thoreau

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:02:13 -0000, "Helen C Simmons"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>That's actually a healthy weekly loss. A concern I have about my current
>rate of loss is that I feel as if I'm hardly trying and the flab is dropping
>off. Whilst it's *lovely* to be dropping clothes sizes remarkably quickly,

I hope those maternal bosoms are still heaving ...

--
Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ***********, 2 and 1/2 stone in a couple of months? What did you do,
> chop off a leg?

LOL - If I was going to chop anything off, it would be my ample rear end ;-)

> Seriously, well done Helen, a fine effort. Spring is around the corner
> and you'll have ever more opportunities to get out on the bike and
> into the sunshine to enjoy your new found fitness and feeling of smug
> wellbeing. :)

Thanks. I'm doing it the disciplined way and going to WeightWatchers
(visions of Little Britain...). Basically I need the discipline of getting
on the scales every week where I've coughed up a certain amount of cash for
the privilege. I weigh what I eat, write it down in a diary - so I know what
I've eaten *exactly*. It works - my problem is keeping it off. Sigh... That
and when I get to a point where I plateau for a while - that is a PITA to
keep the motivation when that happens.

Cheers, helen s

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:02:13 -0000, "Helen C Simmons"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>That's actually a healthy weekly loss. A concern I have about my current
>>rate of loss is that I feel as if I'm hardly trying and the flab is
>>dropping
>>off. Whilst it's *lovely* to be dropping clothes sizes remarkably quickly,

> I hope those maternal bosoms are still heaving ...
>
> --

They do, but in a smaller fashion. They are still highly dangerous though
;-)

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>***********, 2 and 1/2 stone in a couple of months? What did you do,
>>chop off a leg?
>>

> LOL - If I was going to chop anything off, it would be my ample rear end ;-)
>

>>Seriously, well done Helen, a fine effort. Spring is around the corner
>>and you'll have ever more opportunities to get out on the bike and
>>into the sunshine to enjoy your new found fitness and feeling of smug
>>wellbeing. :)
>>

> Thanks. I'm doing it the disciplined way and going to WeightWatchers
> (visions of Little Britain...). Basically I need the discipline of getting
> on the scales every week where I've coughed up a certain amount of cash for
> the privilege. I weigh what I eat, write it down in a diary - so I know what
> I've eaten *exactly*. It works - my problem is keeping it off. Sigh... That
> and when I get to a point where I plateau for a while - that is a PITA to
> keep the motivation when that happens.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Just send me £2 per week and I'll tell you you are a f*t b*****d ;-)

"Helen C Simmons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Allow me to share my smug moment with you. Got weighed this evening. In

the
> last 8 weeks I've lost 36.5 lbs.. Onwards & downwards and to keeping it

off
> :)

Ice T works wonders.

Skinnybirdonabike?

Helen C Simmons wrote:

> In the
> last 8 weeks I've lost 36.5 lbs

Well done.
I'll have a pint or three for you.

You've now got to get rid of the trice as without an aerobelly, beard
[1] or bald patch [2] you have no rights to that light sabre.

[1] [2] I'm assuming you don't have these either ;-)

John B

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ice T works wonders.

It does for the offspring! ;-)

> Skinnybirdonabike?

I'll settle for being slimbirdonabike, and that's a long way off yet.
Sigh... :)

Cheers, helen s

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well done.
> I'll have a pint or three for you.

Thanks ;-)

> You've now got to get rid of the trice as without an aerobelly, beard
> [1] or bald patch [2] you have no rights to that light sabre.
>
> [1] [2] I'm assuming you don't have these either ;-)

I have a bald patch - it's on Vernon's head, so I'll keep the Trice, ta very
muchly, as what's his is mine ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Respect to you!
> >

> Thanks - appreciated. Still a very long way to go though! And then

there's
> the really difficult bit - keeping it off!
>
> Cheers, helen s

So how are you managing to slough it off like that, it's amazing! I'm
struggling with the winter excesses at the moment, I just can't seem to
satisfy my hunger except by eating loads of fatty fried foods. Or
chocolate.

LSMike wrote:
> Helen C Simmons wrote:
>
>>"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Respect to you!
>>>

>>Thanks - appreciated. Still a very long way to go though! And then

> there's
>
>>the really difficult bit - keeping it off!
>>
>>Cheers, helen s

> So how are you managing to slough it off like that, it's amazing! I'm
> struggling with the winter excesses at the moment, I just can't seem to
> satisfy my hunger except by eating loads of fatty fried foods. Or
> chocolate.

It is in the mind. You have to accept hunger as a way of life and learn
to embrace it as a friend.

If you are consuming less than you are burning then you will feel
hungry. You will also lose weight. When I was seriously losing weight
this was about a kilo a week and I felt hungry.

Your hunger is trainable. It takes me about two weeks to get used to a
new eating pattern. The first week gets hard, the second is harder as
you fight the hunger pangs (ie returning to eating a sensible amount,
not grabbing that extra bite between meals etc.) The third week is then
surprisngly easy.

A pair of scales is very useful as it reinforces the discipline. It also
shows you just how much you lose when out on the bike. A three hour ride
at a moderate pace during which I would drink a litre and a half and eat
various bits would still see me 1-2 kilos lighter, most of which would
be back on by the evening.

I'm just waiting for some new scales (on order) and tryng to behave.
Hard without the incentive of a fixed scale against which to measure
oneself.

...d
...d

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So how are you managing to slough it off like that, it's amazing! I'm
> struggling with the winter excesses at the moment, I just can't seem to
> satisfy my hunger except by eating loads of fatty fried foods. Or
> chocolate.

Vegetables are my friend. Unlimited quantities of non-startchy veg -
butternut squash roasted are *wonderful* White meat, fish & Quorn are also
good. Every smidgen of fat is removed from meat. Porridge made with water,
sweetener & topped with banana or apricot for breakfast keeps me going until
lunch. Lots of non-sugary drinks. Pro-biotic yoghurt is good too. What keeps
me on track is the discipline of the weekly weigh-in. Weights aren't shouted
out - nothing nasty like that - but your weight is recorded each week, so
you can't lie ;-) Quite a few blokes go to the WW meeting I go to.

Cheers, helen s