OT, (like it matters) How long will the war last.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>TJ wrote:
>
>> I guess terrorist having C.B.R. weapons and using them makes you and your family feel safe
>> at home.
>
>How many times have CBR weapons been used by terrorists? I can think of one incident in a Japanese
>subway where chemical agents were used, but that was committed by a loony cult, IIRC.

I have to agree with TJ on this. We don't live in the same world we used to. I'd love to believe
that teorrists would avoid using WMD, but have no reason to believe it. I'm willing to listen to
reason though if you do.

>No one likes war. War should be avoided. The
>> U.N has failed.
>
>The UN didn't fail. The US weren't getting their own way, threw their toys out the pram and decided
>to ignore it. Isn't democracy beautiful?

The UN did fail to enforce a dozen resolutions over 12 years. They issued a "final" ultimatum, which
was ignored. Members of the security council refused to live up to the "serious consequences" they
threatened in resolution 1441, and France made it clear they'd veto any resolution calling for
force. If that doesn't constitute "failure", I'm confused.

>The U.S will not. It's all about the oil and the secret
>> Bush agenda to rule the oilfields of the middle east.
>
>I don't believe that it's all about oil, but I think it's naive to think that it's irrelevant -
>http://westchesterweekly.com/gbase/Lifestyle/content.html?oid=oid:1507

I agree the issue is complicated by the world's (and the US') dependence on middle eastern oil. I
doubt the US wants to "rule" the oil fields, but they also don't want them all shut down during a
lengthy war between Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Egypt, Israel......

Personally I'd like to accelerate the development of hydrogen powered cars and make the middle
east's oil irrelevant. If nothing else, it would dry up most of the funding for the radical
groups. ;-)

Dave W wrote:

>>>You've missed my point. That Iraq is unrelated to any terrorist activity.
>>
>>Ah. Ok. We have a basic disagreement here. I don't believe that Saddam is unrelated to terrorism.
>>It's been proven that he supports terrorism and terrorist groups to include AQ.
>

> even going a far as letting them s/u their training camps within Iraqs borders. Nope, no terroism
> connection whatsoever. Whatever...

Firstly, learn to quote correctly.

Secondly, what is this thing about training terrorists in Iraq? I keep fairly well informed about
these sorts of things and have heard nothing of the sort (at least, not from reputable sources). Is
this some kind of 'news' that's broadcast repeatedly on CNN? Have any of you Yanks actually
investigated this?

And if this is the case, why aren't the US going to war to prevent terrorism, rather than the
current guise of regime change? I'm sure they'd receive more support.

>>>And blowing the **** out of Iraq will help prevent that how?
>>

> It won't. The order to attack th US will come from somewhere else. But it won't be coming from
> Bagdad will it?

It was never going to come from Baghdad...

> They've been in danger for the past umpteen thousands of years from Northern Ireland. They're
> used to it.

I can't believe the arrogance of that comment. How an earth do you 'get used to' terrorism?

Plus you need to read up on your Irish history.

>>>Indeed. There's no proven link between terrorism and Iraq.
>>

> Al Qaeda training camps is a close enough connection to me.

See above. Some proof of this link rather than regurgitating propoganda would be nice.

>>>What's changed? The fact that the US and UK are going in to a war unsanctioned by the UN
>>

> Wrong. It has been sanctioned. Resolution 1481 was signed by ALL 15 member nations of the Security
> council over a YEAR AGO. Yes indeed, France, Germany, and Russia ALL signed off on it over a YEAR
> AGO. That means we have given Saddam OVER A YEAR to comply with the world council. The time for
> diplomacy has lasted for OVER A YEAR. Times up. pencils down.

You should go and read resolution 1441. It pertains to increased inspections - it most certainly
isn't a warrant for the US/UK to invade.

>>>world. The surge in anger that will accompany an attack on Iraq is likely to mobilise a whole new
>>>band of people that will tie themselves to extremist causes. Watch and see.
>>

> Have you not been paying attention. It doesn't matter. 9/11 happened while we were allowing Saddam
> to NOT comply with UN resolutions.

So you're linking Saddam Hussein with 9/11?

> believe that if any terrorist actions are going to take place, it won't be because of our actions
> in the Gulf. I think those types of plans are, and have been, already in motion.

Then you are naive.

>>>You need to better understand the motives of those who are willing to attack you. It's nothing to
>>>do with 'hating freedom' or despising democracy. It has more to do with the actions of the US -
>>>invading Iraq will only augment this feeling.
>>

> Well then they should've complied with 1481. They didn't. Times up.

That's the second time you've written 1481. Are you privy to some UN resolution that the rest of
us are not?

> >> Would you really feel safer if the US disarmed?
> >
> >Let's just say I'd feel a damn sight more comfortable if Dubya wasn't in control of them.
>
> You'll have a say on that subject in a couple years! ;-)

Wow, I didn't know Jon had applied for US citizenship?! ;^)

Mike

> [email protected] wrote:
> > You all want it to stop but don't want to pay the all out cost. In other words
> > you want it to just go away. Or may be you want the UN to keep looking and
> > wasting time.While France, Germany,China,and Russia make their money,
> > trade,wheel and deal. Everything like tech,oil, and weapons. And the Frogs get
> > back their billions from Irag. And if you don't know what a frog is you may have
> > to visit France.
>
> If you're going to join in, try using coherent English.

There's a first time for everything.

Bill "hope springs e-ribbitt" S.

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Oh and why is okay that the US wan't everyone to follow rules they don't follow. I'd like to see
> the US hand in a complete list of the weapons of mass destruction (Nukes, Hydrogen bombs,
> chemical, biological...) and accepting that the UN get access all over to make sure the lists are
> accurate and that everything is destroyed. I may have been ready to accept that the US has all the
> nasty toys but not with the double standards and shoot first retorics coming from the white house.

The US goverment is very open on the type of WMD we have, thier capability and numbers. We allow
inpections of our stockpiles by relevent third parties. Most of our WMD are nuclear and under one or
more international treaties with verified inspection and numbers control. We are actively reducing
our stockpile of nuclear weapons and are currently finalizing a further reduction in step with the
Russians. What we have in regards to the chemical and biologicals weapons are left over stocks from
a bygone era, are very old and are in the process of being destroy in a safe and enviromently
friendly manner.

Do a google for "US chemical weapons" and you will find more information from US Goverment source
than you you will have time to read. Also from many non goverment organizations concerned about
such things.

Further more the US is actively working with many former soviet union countries to help them reduce
or even eliminate thier stockpiles WMD. We provied cash, technical expetise, storage of nuclear
material, assistance and securing stockpiles until further action can be taken.

> Regards
>
> Bruno, Denmark

Dave in Minnesota, USA

Michael Dart wrote:

>>>Let's just say I'd feel a damn sight more comfortable if Dubya wasn't in control of them.
>>
>>You'll have a say on that subject in a couple years! ;-)
>>

> Wow, I didn't know Jon had applied for US citizenship?! ;^)

I haven't, it's just that Germany is next on Bush's list of country's to conquer 8^D

Mark Hickey wrote:

> There's no doubt at all about the funding for the families of PLO suicide bomber. I'm not sure
> what will qualify as "independent" on links to other teorrist organization support, since the only
> information is going to come from intelligence organizations belonging to "friendly governments".
> Geraldo won't be showing video on the training camps if that's what you mean... ;-)

I think you and the others on the board should contact your authorities. You obviously have
information that they don't. Both the CIA and FBI have filed reports to congress stating that there
is little or no link between Iraq and terrorism, and your government dropped it as a central
argument for justifying war.

>>>Another US poll that asked the question differently found 71% in favor of using military force to
>>>remove and disarm Saddam. I think most of us in the US is pretty fed up with the Security
>>>Council's actions and isn't as patient as they may have been a month ago.
>>
>>Because the US / UK are not getting their own way?
>

> In a word, yes. But don't dismiss "their own way" as the wrong thing.
>
> I'm a simple guy, and I look at this as a simple issue.
>
> 1) Iraq has WMD (there is no doubt)
> 2) Saddam's regime is aggressive, and has used WMD
> 3) Saddam is openly anti-US (for example, tried to have an ex president assassinated)
> 4) There's nothing that makes me think he would hesitate to give or sell WMD to those who would
> use them on the US or other western culture.
> 5) I don't want to wait until he DOES have a nuke to have to deal with him.

You should note that the CIA also viewed the chances of Iraq supplying weapons to terrorists as
remote. This was changed to high if the US attacked Baghdad. Attacking Iraq could bring to fruition
the one thing you hoped to avoid...

Mark Hickey wrote:

>>How many times have CBR weapons been used by terrorists? I can think of one incident in a Japanese
>>subway where chemical agents were used, but that was committed by a loony cult, IIRC.
>

> I have to agree with TJ on this. We don't live in the same world we used to. I'd love to believe
> that teorrists would avoid using WMD, but have no reason to believe it. I'm willing to listen to
> reason though if you do.

Oh, I hope I'm open-minded enough :) My point was that there has never been a chemical terrorist
attack, as was implied by TJ. That's not to say there won't be in the future...

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> >>How many times have CBR weapons been used by terrorists? I can think of one incident in a
> >>Japanese subway where chemical agents were used, but that was committed by a loony cult, IIRC.
> >

> > I have to agree with TJ on this. We don't live in the same world we used to. I'd love to believe
> > that teorrists would avoid using WMD, but have no reason to believe it. I'm willing to listen to
> > reason though if you do.
>
> Oh, I hope I'm open-minded enough :) My point was that there has never been a chemical terrorist
> attack, as was implied by TJ. That's not to say there won't be in the future...

Not true. Aum Shinryko, Tokyo subway. VX was used, IIRC.

Spider

> Let's just say I'd feel a damn sight more comfortable if Dubya wasn't in control of them.

Please don't tell me this has all boiled down to a "hate Dubya" thang........................

Marty

Spider wrote:

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > > I have to agree with TJ on this. We don't live in the same world we used to. I'd love to
> > > believe that teorrists would avoid using WMD, but have no reason to believe it. I'm willing to
> > > listen to reason though if you do.
> >
> > Oh, I hope I'm open-minded enough :) My point was that there has never been a chemical terrorist
> > attack, as was implied by TJ. That's not to say there won't be in the future...
>
> Not true. Aum Shinryko, Tokyo subway. VX was used, IIRC.
>
> Spider

Sarin

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/sarin/index.asp

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Ah. Ok. We have a basic disagreement here. I don't believe that Saddam is unrelated to
> >>terrorism. It's been proven that he supports terrorism and terrorist groups to include AQ.
> >

> > even going a far as letting them s/u their training camps within Iraqs borders. Nope, no
> > terroism connection whatsoever. Whatever...
>
> Firstly, learn to quote correctly.

I quoted what I was refering too, not the entire thread. Isn't that in your FAQ?

> Secondly, what is this thing about training terrorists in Iraq? I keep fairly well informed about
> these sorts of things and have heard nothing of the sort (at least, not from reputable sources).
> Is this some kind of 'news' that's broadcast repeatedly on CNN? Have any of you Yanks actually
> investigated this?

I haven't personally, you? Run a google search, there's plenty of links too all the articles written
on the subject of training camps in Saddams world...

> And if this is the case, why aren't the US going to war to prevent terrorism, rather than the
> current guise of regime change? I'm sure they'd receive more support.

They are, in a roundabout way.

> > It won't. The order to attack th US will come from somewhere else. But it won't be coming from
> > Bagdad will it?
>
> It was never going to come from Baghdad...

riiiiggggghhhhhtttt,

whatever you say....

> > They've been in danger for the past umpteen thousands of years from Northern Ireland. They're
> > used to it.
>
> I can't believe the arrogance of that comment. How an earth do you 'get used to' terrorism?

densisitization can occur. Check Lebanon for examples.

> Plus you need to read up on your Irish history.

Maybe, but you get the point.

> > Al Qaeda training camps is a close enough connection to me.
>
> See above. Some proof of this link rather than regurgitating propoganda would be nice.

Are you French?

Do a search yourself. I'm convinced. My presidents convinced. We could care less if you are or not.

> > Wrong. It has been sanctioned. Resolution 1481 was signed by ALL 15 member nations of the
> > Security council over a YEAR AGO. Yes indeed, France, Germany, and Russia ALL signed off on it
> > over a YEAR AGO. That means we have given Saddam OVER A YEAR to comply with the world council.
> > The time for diplomacy has lasted for OVER A YEAR. Times up. pencils down.
>
> You should go and read resolution 1441. It pertains to increased inspections - it most certainly
> isn't a warrant for the US/UK to invade.

I knew it was one of those cool numbers, regardless they say to inspect, but he originally refused
to let inspectors in, did he not? He was in violation of that resolution for the first 3 mths or so
after it was established.

> > Have you not been paying attention. It doesn't matter. 9/11 happened while we were allowing
> > Saddam to NOT comply with UN resolutions.
>
> So you're linking Saddam Hussein with 9/11?

About as much as your not linking him to terrorism in general.

> > believe that if any terrorist actions are going to take place, it won't be because of our
> > actions in the Gulf. I think those types of plans are, and have been, already in motion.
>
> Then you are naive.

No see, I think you are for thinking our toppiling of the sadistic regime is somehow wrong.

> > Well then they should've complied with 1481. They didn't. Times up.
>
> That's the second time you've written 1481. Are you privy to some UN resolution that the rest of
> us are not?

O.K so I got the number wrong, big freaking deal. All member nations signed it, including your
beloved French, Germans, and Russians. It's time to enforce it Bomba, get over it. It's happening
as we speak. Nothing you or I can do about it.

Dave (hoping no WMD stray your way brother)

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Could it be they know something you don't? You seem to have no faith in US leaders, but it seems
> yours have reached the same conclusions.

If so they should tell - were are the proofs boasted by the US and the UK. Why haven't they just
pointed the weapons inspectors in the right direction and let them show the world the WOM?

BTW. DO you know who supplied Iraq with WOM in the first place. In fact have you seen the pictures
of **** Cheney smiling big and shakeing hands with Sadam back in the day where the US sold weapons
to both sides of the Iran-Iraq war?

Also - where are the proofs that Iraq somehow has a part in 9/11? If any goverment has a part then
surely it's the one training Osama Bin Laden back when the US needed him to fight the USSR trying to
bring order to Afghanistan! The USSR failed and look what happend.

> You know that's not going to happen though. It's clear Saddam won't disarm without force, and it's
> clear that France (and maybe Russia) will veto any resolution calling for force. Checkmate. This
> IS the last option, sadly (short of Saddam self-exiling himself, not likely).

As stated by Bomba the notion of France and others ruling out the use of force for good is an
oversimplification coming from the white house.

> The flip side of that coin is the people who don't seem to have a problem with Saddam ignoring 12
> years and a dozen resolutions, but do seem to have a problem with Bush carrying out the threat
> contained clearly in resolution 1441.

How can I not have a problem with the double standards Bush advocate for. Resolution 1441 does not
okay an attack on Iraq so the US is in violation with international laws while on the same time
saying it's okay to attack Iraq due to it not following the UN resolutions.

Of course something should be done about Saddam, but I just can't see that we have not other
options than war.

The US is the worlds only super power but seeing how they use the power to say "We know better so we
don't have to listen to international laws" makes me wonder what is next. Take for example oil -
what if OPEC decides there is no reason for them to sell their oil at current prices so they double
their prices, this would wreck havoc on the US economy and hurt the world economy to a lesser extent
(due to other countries using much less energy per capita). I can easily imagine Bush claiming the
OPEC price move as being an attack on the american way of life and sending in the troops.

> I respect your opinion, but we (as a civilized world society) need to decide how we're going to
> deal with the very real threat that WMD pose in the post-9/11 world. What happens if we give Iraq
> more years, and they DO manage to develop a nuclear weapon?

So what if they do búild the bomb- they would never use it all it would do is to secure a balance
between them and the other nuclear powers. The

everyone knows what it is and that using it for attack is a sure way to be destoryed.

> Next time they take Kuwait, they keep it unless you don't mind seeing Tel Aviv melted. Oops.

Like Kuwait is a heavenly democracy. Not to mention that Israel was build on terrorisem and that
they are killing and violating the rights of the original population, using gunships on cars in
urban enviroments just the other day they shoot a 3 year old girl but I guess she looked threatning.
Or what about the US peace guard they drove over with a bulldozer - the suicide bombings surely
aren't acceptable in any way but it is not surprising to me that they happend.

What can bring people to become suicides bombers? Living in a safe society where there is a future
- no. Israel is repeatly crushing any hope for the paelestines, not surprisingly with leaders that
have commited crimes against humanity on several occasions and the US holding their hand over them
blocking any UN moves towards controlling and even independent monitoring of the situation. Where
is the quater million US troops on the Israeli borders demanding they give up the bomb and uphold
real peace?

> History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea. History will
> show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.

War should be the absolute last mean of solving anything. As I see it turning things around in
Iraq takes time and killing thousands of soldiers may be a shortcut but it is really justified - I
think not.

Regards

Bruno

Mark Hickey stated the right position:

> History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea. History will
> show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Well stated once again, Mark. And btw, you've got an open invitation for western hospitality if you
ever get out this way. The ID-AMB-Epic is shaping up quite nicely.

Saddam violated the terms of the cease fire, and was given 12 years and 14 resolutions to remind him
and persuade him to keep his promises. The cease fire is over. The war HE STARTED is resumed. It
will be finished this time. 1+2=3. It is really that simple.

Liberal, American hating peaceniks, don't even start in on me. You won't change me, and I won't
change you. Better men and women than you fought and died for your right to air your opinion. So
enjoy your freedom. You have the right to be wrong.

Paladin

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> Could it be they know something you don't? You seem to have no faith in US leaders, but it seems
>> yours have reached the same conclusions.
>>
>If so they should tell - were are the proofs boasted by the US and the UK. Why haven't they just
>pointed the weapons inspectors in the right direction and let them show the world the WOM?

You seem to believe the weapons inspectors. Here's a link to a report summarizing their findings you
may be interested in:

http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/arms/03031018.htm

>BTW. DO you know who supplied Iraq with WOM in the first place. In fact have you seen the pictures
>of **** Cheney smiling big and shakeing hands with Sadam back in the day where the US sold weapons
>to both sides of the Iran-Iraq war?

Sad to think he was the lesser of two evils at the time, huh? You know what they say - the enemy of
your enemy is often your friend. Or not... While you're digging through those old photos, see if you
can find the ones of a smiling Jacques Chirac in the process of selling Iraq a breeder nuclear
reactor. Happily, the Israelis reduced it to a pile of junk before it started churning out
weapons-grade nuclear materials.

>Also - where are the proofs that Iraq somehow has a part in 9/11? If any goverment has a part then
>surely it's the one training Osama Bin Laden back when the US needed him to fight the USSR trying
>to bring order to Afghanistan! The USSR failed and look what happend.

What's your point? We did that to help stretch the USSR's faltering military. It worked. Put 'em out
of business. Again, at the time, OBL was the lesser of two evils. Now the greater of the two evils
is no more, and he's back on top of the list.

>> You know that's not going to happen though. It's clear Saddam won't disarm without force, and
>> it's clear that France (and maybe Russia) will veto any resolution calling for force. Checkmate.
>> This IS the last option, sadly (short of Saddam self-exiling himself, not likely).
>>
>As stated by Bomba the notion of France and others ruling out the use of force for good is an
>oversimplification coming from the white house.

The French position was clear. ANY resolution authorizing force for noncompliance would be veto'd by
the French. They'd then go into another 6 months of inspections and see how that went. Given the
fact they claimed the inspections were "working" (even though Iraq was not cooperating and hadn't
provided any information on the massive known stockpiles of anthrax, VX, etc.). If that's not a
recipe for endless debate and non-action, I don't know what is.

>> The flip side of that coin is the people who don't seem to have a problem with Saddam ignoring 12
>> years and a dozen resolutions, but do seem to have a problem with Bush carrying out the threat
>> contained clearly in resolution 1441.
>>
>How can I not have a problem with the double standards Bush advocate for. Resolution 1441 does not
>okay an attack on Iraq so the US is in violation with international laws while on the same time
>saying it's okay to attack Iraq due to it not following the UN resolutions.
>
>Of course something should be done about Saddam, but I just can't see that we have not other
>options than war.

I'm sure Bush and others (myself included) would like to think there were alternatives. Clearly,
inspections weren't going to work. Iraq was not cooperating, and hadn't given up ANY WMD. Nothing
but force was ever going to get the job done, and there's no reason to wait any longer, IMHO.

>The US is the worlds only super power but seeing how they use the power to say "We know better so
>we don't have to listen to international laws" makes me wonder what is next. Take for example oil
>- what if OPEC decides there is no reason for them to sell their oil at current prices so they
>double their prices, this would wreck havoc on the US economy and hurt the world economy to a
>lesser extent (due to other countries using much less energy per capita). I can easily imagine
>Bush claiming the OPEC price move as being an attack on the american way of life and sending in
>the troops.

I think that's pretty far-fetched. But it would be good for my sales of bicycles! ;-)

>> I respect your opinion, but we (as a civilized world society) need to decide how we're going to
>> deal with the very real threat that WMD pose in the post-9/11 world. What happens if we give Iraq
>> more years, and they DO manage to develop a nuclear weapon?
>
>So what if they do búild the bomb- they would never use it all it would do is to secure a balance
>between them and the other nuclear powers. The

>everyone knows what it is and that using it for attack is a sure way to be destoryed.

In the case of Israel, I agree with you - they have nuclear capability to ensure their survival. I
can't imagine a preemptive nuclear strike from Israel under any circumstances. However, Saddam has
grander plans for the region, and has attacked two of his neighbors in wars of aggression over the
last 20 years. He's used chemical and biological weapons on the Iranians and the Kurdish Iraqis.
This isn't a guy you should trust with nukes.

>> Next time they take Kuwait, they keep it unless you don't mind seeing Tel Aviv melted. Oops.
>
>Like Kuwait is a heavenly democracy.

Oh well then, let's give it back to Iraq and let him set up the rape camps again. What WERE
we thinking?

>Not to mention that Israel was build on terrorisem and that they are killing and violating the
>rights of the original population, using gunships on cars in urban enviroments just the other day
>they shoot a 3 year old girl but I guess she looked threatning.

If by "terrorism" you mean a UN resolution, sure (or are you forgetting your history on the creation
of Israel?).

> Or what about the US peace guard they drove over with a bulldozer - the suicide bombings surely
> aren't acceptable in any way but it is not surprising to me that they happend.

It may surprise you, but laying down in front of a heavily armored bulldozer is a dangerous thing to
do. The visibility from the controls of a NORMAL bulldozer isn't very good.

>What can bring people to become suicides bombers? Living in a safe society where there is a future
>- no. Israel is repeatly crushing any hope for the paelestines, not surprisingly with leaders that
>have commited crimes against humanity on several occasions and the US holding their hand over them
>blocking any UN moves towards controlling and even independent monitoring of the situation. Where
>is the quater million US troops on the Israeli borders demanding they give up the bomb and uphold
>real peace?

The answer to the Palestinian problem is to get the PLO out of the way and get self-determination
for them. They took a huge step in that direction this week, with the appointment of a non-PLO Prime
Minister. Arafat fought giving any real power to the PM, but lost. Arafat is on the way out, so he
will not have any more opportunities to reject peace proposals that he should have taken in a split
second. Those that replace him will end the hostilities by working with the Israelis to eliminate
the terrorists within their borders. Bush supports this all, BTW, and more will be accomplished to
fix the complex problems over the next two years than the last 10.

>> History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea. History will
>> show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.

>War should be the absolute last mean of solving anything. As I see it turning things around in
>Iraq takes time and killing thousands of soldiers may be a shortcut but it is really justified - I
>think not.

I respect your opinion, but fail to see how anything short of what's about to happen would have
ended the Iraqi standoff, and helped constrain the flow of WMD to those who would use them against
civilians.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>You'll have a say on that subject in a couple years! ;-)

>> Wow, I didn't know Jon had applied for US citizenship?! ;^)
>
>I haven't, it's just that Germany is next on Bush's list of country's to conquer 8^D

Heh heh heh... sorry about that. Forgot for a moment.

I'm hoping there won't be any backlash against the Germans for their reluctance to back the Iraq
war. I don't mind giving up French cheese (too smelly) and wine (too dry for my tastes), but I'd
really hate to give up my BMW K100RS! ;-)

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> There's no doubt at all about the funding for the families of PLO suicide bomber. I'm not sure
>> what will qualify as "independent" on links to other teorrist organization support, since the
>> only information is going to come from intelligence organizations belonging to "friendly
>> governments". Geraldo won't be showing video on the training camps if that's what you mean... ;-)
>
>I think you and the others on the board should contact your authorities. You obviously have
>information that they don't. Both the CIA and FBI have filed reports to congress stating that there
>is little or no link between Iraq and terrorism, and your government dropped it as a central
>argument for justifying war.

Probably the best synopsis of the information was in Colin Powell's presentation to the UN. The text
is available many places, and the comments about Iraq's links to teorrist support are just before
his closing comments. Even if "all Saddam was doing" was paying the families of suicide bombers, I'd
say he's too much a mad dog to leave in power.

FWIW, I agree that supporting other groups' teorrist activities probably isn't one of Saddam's major
tactics - but I don't have any reason to believe he'd be overly opposed to doing so either.

>> In a word, yes. But don't dismiss "their own way" as the wrong thing.
>>
>> I'm a simple guy, and I look at this as a simple issue.
>>
>> 1) Iraq has WMD (there is no doubt)
>> 2) Saddam's regime is aggressive, and has used WMD
>> 3) Saddam is openly anti-US (for example, tried to have an ex president assassinated)
>> 4) There's nothing that makes me think he would hesitate to give or sell WMD to those who would
>> use them on the US or other western culture.
>> 5) I don't want to wait until he DOES have a nuke to have to deal with him.
>
>You should note that the CIA also viewed the chances of Iraq supplying weapons to terrorists as
>remote. This was changed to high if the US attacked Baghdad. Attacking Iraq could bring to fruition
>the one thing you hoped to avoid...

I'd personally much rather take down Saddam's regime than risk it. Somehow I suspect there won't be
too much of anything being shipped out of Iraq over the next few weeks. The border is guarded "a bit
more than usual" right now. We'll also get plenty of data that could be crucial in hunting down more
of the Al Qaeda and other folks who may have had dealings with Saddam. Or not. If they were never
there we will come up short. If they were, we should be able to make some progress and cross a few
more faces off the list.

Bottom line to me - I hope and pray that the loss of life on both sides will be minimal, and that
this all results in a better life for the long-suffering people of Iraq.

And I hope other thuggish regimes around the world with plans for developing WMD are
watching closely.

Paladin wrote:
> Mark Hickey stated the right position:
>

>>History has shown that appeasing brutal, aggressive dictators is NOT a good idea. History will
>>show soon enough whether Bush, Blair (and your leaders) are right or wrong about Iraq.
>>
>>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
>

> Well stated once again, Mark. And btw, you've got an open invitation for western hospitality if
> you ever get out this way. The ID-AMB-Epic is shaping up quite nicely.
>
> Saddam violated the terms of the cease fire, and was given 12 years and 14 resolutions to remind
> him and persuade him to keep his promises. The cease fire is over. The war HE STARTED is resumed.
> It will be finished this time. 1+2=3. It is really that simple.
>
> Liberal, American hating peaceniks, don't even start in on me. You won't change me, and I won't
> change you. Better men and women than you fought and died for your right to air your opinion. So
> enjoy your freedom. You have the right to be wrong.

I did enjoy my freedom until it ended today. I'm not sure how Iraq's missiles which can't even reach
Israel effected OUR freedom before. But now with the whole world at best barely tolerating us and at
worst hating us those fascists in the cabinet will continue to erode civil liberty in the name of
security. All so Mr Cheney's Halliburton can make a few billion dollars rebuilding Iraq this year.
All so Bush Jr can redeem Bush Sr. All so hypocritical Kristians can feel good about killing the
infidels. All so W doesn't have to drill for oil in Arctic. No wonder W let 9-11 happen.

"...you can kill some of the people all the time and you can kill all of the people some of the time
but you can't kill all of the people all of the time. When a whole population hates you fanatically,
it's difficult to rule." - Margaret Atwood. We will never see freedom in this country again as long
as there is an Iraqi, Muslim, or Arab alive.

Goodby peace, goodby freedom, hello Armageddon, Greg

Spider wrote:

>>>I have to agree with TJ on this. We don't live in the same world we used to. I'd love to believe
>>>that teorrists would avoid using WMD, but have no reason to believe it. I'm willing to listen to
>>>reason though if you do.
>>
>>Oh, I hope I'm open-minded enough :) My point was that there has never been a chemical terrorist
>>attack, as was implied by TJ. That's not to say there won't be in the future...
>

> Not true. Aum Shinryko, Tokyo subway. VX was used, IIRC.

Did you bother to read the material you quoted? Look at the top.